Thread: When is balancing right?

When is balancing right?

I have 500 kills to my name, I quite enjoy PvP on my crat but the fact of the matter is I die more frequently than not. Im still pretty PvM twinked so meh.

Then I go on the BS, as a crat with debuffs I have a fair chance at beating agents and doc, when I kill either I will get 100 ish PvP solo points.

Then yesterday I got farmed by an enf, I thought I was doing pretty well at PvP but I found out he only gained 85 pvp points from killing me.

In business I am taught to look at key performance indicators (kpis), actual numbers that can be worked out that give a good idea of how well an aspect of a business is doing. Number of times a telephone rings before it is answered, amount of time a support issue is escalated, cost of sale etc etc/

So given that we aren't balancing for 1v1 PvP what yard sticks can we use to measure whether we have reached an effective balance?

I would have thought maybe an average over the number of PvP points gained for killing each profession may be a good one. So if you kill 300 crats on average they will give 100 pvp points each, or if you kill 300 enfs on average they will give 100 pvp points each. Not changing the way a kill is scored but changing the toolsets so every profession has an equal chance of winning.

So ideas of measures which will provide a positive feedback loop to the development team on which profs to nerf and which to boost pls.

I die more frequently than not. Im still pretty PvM twinked so meh.
    It is intended =)
    Molotoff Cocktail

Quote Originally Posted by DePreach View Post
    So given that we aren't balancing for 1v1 PvP what yard sticks can we use to measure whether we have reached an effective balance?

Balancing for team pvp was Sils pet peeve, I haven't heard means say anything about the balancing being only for team pvp. Ideally I'd like to see balancing for both of course.

As far as I'm concerned I'd be happy if the rebalancing means that it's not impossible for any prof to kill any other prof, given similar gear and pvp experience. Not necessarily a 50-50 chance (that would probably be impossible to achieve anyway), but say no lower than 80-20 for any given prof.

My 2 cents

I dont mind being bottom of the pvp food chain.

I just worry that the entire rebalancing is centered around half a dozen people that don't know a great deal about PvP and wondered what an actual successful rebalancing would look like.

Because unless there is an aim and proof of fairness every time a profession gets nerfed there will be uproar from that profession and every time a new tool is given there will be uproar from every other profession. Look at stuns.

Unless the aim of the exercise is defined there can be no effective strategy and the project is doomed to failure from the start. Start with defining success and then look at how to implement it.

Current balancing seems to be looking at every individual item / nano / perk in game and judging it in isolation. PvP is an emergent behaviour and jiggling around with the cogs in a watch may make the cogs all the same size but it will stop the watch from working.

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    Balancing for team pvp was Sils pet peeve, I haven't heard means say anything about the balancing being only for team pvp. Ideally I'd like to see balancing for both of course.

As far as I'm concerned I'd be happy if the rebalancing means that it's not impossible for any prof to kill any other prof, given similar gear and pvp experience. Not necessarily a 50-50 chance (that would probably be impossible to achieve anyway), but say no lower than 80-20 for any given prof.

My 2 cents
    as long as pistol perks aren't 80% and the AS pistol isn't in game next patch, most profs will be balanced.