Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 21st, 2010 - Instability in Greece caused by Macrosun!

Quote Originally Posted by boltgun View Post
    The atrox's grin is bad because the underbite (common on all heads) is done here with a big lip and not an actual underbite. Otherwise, good job on the wrinkles, the hair look plastic however.

The opi lips is a bit weird too. It's the same comment here, it doesn't serve the head's shape well. The rest of the face is nice still.

As a whole it's a good job just a few fixes and they'll be perfect.
    trox can have different facial features like people in the real world chinless people exist after all.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I can't look at the atrox without laughing.
    that was my same reaction too, but i wasn't so put off by it, it just looked so funny it made me laugh ^^

i think people are going to have to accept that when this new graphic stuff happens - for better or worse - AO is going to look a lot different. hopefully mostly for the better. AOs graphic style is what really made me connect with the game when i started playing, the characters, the architecture, the landscapes.

when i look at what i think are the best of original AO faces, i get the feeling that the artists had concocted a story for them - like, if you asked "why does that nanomage have a grafted-on mouthpiece" or "what's with that scar across that guy's face" they would have a whole reasoning to explain that. you can see some of the story of rubika in those original faces and i'm not sure that story is there in these new ones.

it feels like the artists working on these faces have never set foot on rubika for themselves, and are just cloning/upgrading the old heads sequentially. i could be wrong though, and to be fair, these heads are being shown with no context, competing with faces people have been attached to for 9 years.

anyhow, good work funcom, and thank you for remodelling rubika ^_^! i just hope my face doesn't end up looking like a complete barbie doll :[
    Last edited by Biancha; May 21st, 2010 at 19:04:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has spent time with me in-game speaking about the daily missions. While they are more or less "complete" we don't think of them as perfect and we have some changes based on good feedback that will be coming in the next update. ...
    Sounds good. When is the new update with the fixed up new zones and such coming by the way? Soon or soon(tm)?

Work also began this week designing the "long awaited" open PvP areas that will offer a "wait free" alternative to the Battlestations. I'm not sure when this will be complete...but again we are trying to keep this as simple as possible.
    PvP content in game such as BSs are dead or dieing so you guys figured, hey, let's add more. Changing BSs to work like these new zones and apply other alterations may be wiser than adding a new batch of PvP zones to a game with an already shrinking community.

Alternative to BSs was the right way to put it as from what you've said about the new zones in the past they will likely kill BSs. That or neither will run and more PvPers will leave the game causing you to try to get them all going by making your various PvP zones/activities more appealing to those that don't want to PvP as you've done with BSs for years causing some of the same sort of problems.

Talking Lovin' it.

A couple things.

First, the new heads look AWESOME! I don't understand the hate towards them, i mean if they wanted them to look human then why even bother having different breeds? I like how each one has it's unique traits You can tell that they are not human but humanoid...or solstiusoid whatever lol. Bravo I say!

Second, Why are there people posting messages with nothing but "7th, 2nd, First Page!" How old are you really? The significance of how soon you post on an announcement is absolutely zero. I'm not trying to bash your heads in or anything it's just I see no point to it...just clogs up a perfectly good thread.

One final note, I am glad I came back to this game (re sub in March after a 14 month vacation). It's so good to see the devs still working as hard as they do on a game that was released when I was 12 for christ sake. I really think this will be the only mmo I will ever love this much.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by recklessjr101 View Post
    Second, Why are there people posting messages with nothing but "7th, 2nd, First Page!"
    it's some internet thing i think

Quote Originally Posted by recklessjr101 View Post
    One final note, I am glad I came back to this game [...] I really think this will be the only mmo I will ever love this much.
    welcome back

HEADS: I might be mistaken but I think this is the first time we have posted images of the new heads using the "previewer" for the new engine. These three will look pretty much exactly as they do in-game as they do in this image....so again I couldn't be happier with the amazing work that is being done by the artists in the Beijing office.
    The new heads look a bit to cartoonish for me. That being said the eyes have looked the best yet of any previous versions. The atrox and opi head are colored very nice, the nano needs improvement. The wrinkles on the atrox head a tad to much defined and the mouth could do with being a bit smaller. The opi head is good except for he area on the face beneath the eyes to the lower lip. The nanos shading looks more like dirt was rubbed on those areas of his face rather then the skin itself actually being darker. His wrinkles seems to have no depth at all (complete opposite of atrox). Just my take on new heads.
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Oh how awfull, the trox is pamela andersson twin
    Good work on the others though, hehe.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    i think people are going to have to accept that when this new graphic stuff happens - for better or worse - AO is going to look a lot different.

anyhow, good work on the faces funcom, and thank you for remodelling rubika ^_^! i just hope my face doesn't end up looking like a complete barbie doll :[
    They have update the textures of some things like walls and armour to more high-res versions. We'll be getting some new trees, bushes and grass. The heads and base bodies (which I guess we won't see under our armour) will be updated. Although they aren't changing everything. It's even been stated that updating all the thousands of textures in AO would take years and may/likely will never get completed.

I think you and some others may be expecting too much from it as while it will look different, it's still not going to look like a completely new game. The heads are getting far more attention than the rest of the graphical stuff in game will from what I understand. So don't take the changes to them to be representative of what will happen with everything else.

Also how about showing us the back of these heads. Most of the time I'm seeing not just my char's head but the heads of others from that back far more than from the front, the side next and only on occasion the front.

But... but... how are our AC debuff fixes coming along?
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Will there be an option to keep the heads as they are now?

I've honestly grown rather fond of the current heads, even in their low-res "bad quality" renditions. The Atrox face, with the red-colored eye, tribal tattoo, and the weird side-ponytail, is my absolute favorite, and I'd hate to see it bludgeoned by a "new" version that from the looks of things might get injected with random jolts of silicone.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    I think you and some others may be expecting too much from it as while it will look different, it's still not going to look like a completely new game.
    i think just seeing existing rubika through a new hi-res lens will make it look quite a lot different. i'm not expecting all new textures/models/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Will there be an option to keep the heads as they are now?
    They were planning this at first, but Means said recently it's not going to happen. New heads will be forced upon us I think because he said they won't fit on the new bodies...and besides the fact they will look utterly out of place against all the new hi-res stuff around them.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

The heads are looking better and better but there is some polishing left to do.

The trox: deliciously horrible! It's really ugly, i will never roll a toon like that but hey, that's what troxes are supposed to be like.

The opi: hmmm.... upper lip is way too big and the noze is too round. I think opis should be more skinny, the bones should be more visible.

The nanomage: the eyes and the stare are just perfect! I like the skin too, one can see the veins overloaded with nano, ready to explode :P The jaw, however, is a bit square, more trox like.

Anyway, thanks for showing those heads and listening to the player's feedback. Wtb bodies too, now

Great job

I have to agree with what Wrangeline and others have said about problems with the new heads.

I'm not usually one to critize work done by other people that I know I would never be able to do at all. But the new heads have gone so far away from the "feel" of the old heads that it's sad. I thought that the idea of the new heads was to take what we had and make it better. The new heads don't do this. They totally change the impression of what I've grown used to as the visual character of the different breeds.

Personally, I'm going to have a hard time adjusting to my opi fixer looking like a vapid, pouty little girl trying to look older than she is instead of the lean, edgy, and maybe even slightly cynical character that she's always looked like to me. And I'm going to find it difficult to look at the trox in my team and get that same feeling that this character is going to be one of our main protectors, willing to sacrifice himself if need be for the benefit of the rest of us.

Perhaps it sounds silly. Obviously the character of the player is more important than the look of the avatar. And I'm sure I'll get used to the new look of the characters. But I just feel that in the quest to make the heads better, something that wasn't broken has been "fixed" in a detrimental way.

Funny heads, and nice to hear good news about the upcoming engine!

also

Quote Originally Posted by Strupstad View Post
    But... but... how are our AC debuff fixes coming along?
    This.

Try to take a look at that, It's weird that Abolish bismuth has way more effect than Abolish polonium on a lvl 250 heckler...

There, we found you some stuff to do while it's compiling

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    i think just seeing existing rubika through a new hi-res lens will make it look quite a lot different. i'm not expecting all new textures/models/whatever.
    Low-res textures will still be low-res textures, regardless of the engine displaying them. All it will do is as was seen in the old video (which largely showed things from a distance or moving by quickly), improve the effects so we have better lighting, shadowing and so forth on top of those low-res textures.

Quote Originally Posted by tiralee View Post
    I have to agree with what Wrangeline and others have said about problems with the new heads.
    Yep, may need to uncheck the disable helmet visual effect.

Although shouldn't a PvP zone be about the PvP and not some reward? People often complain about four point capping and the like at BSs and the cause of that is bringing in people that came for the reward, not the activity. I've seen people after a four point cap say things like "what's wrong with you people, don't you want to PvP?" Well no, in fact we don't. A PvP zone will work more effectively if those there came to PvP, not just to gather up some reward.
    Clearly this explains why BS is so unpopular and why all the major cities (except the arenas in Tir and Omni-Ent) are empty. All the active PVPers must be gathered in 2HO and 4Holes.
    Last edited by Keldros; May 21st, 2010 at 20:05:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Clearly this explains why BS is so unpopular and why all the major cities are empty. All the active PVPers must be gathered in 2HO and 4Holes.
    Or maybe as active PvPers just aren't all that plentiful to begin with. On top of that they have already been given more places to PvP so don't bother to go to such places anymore even though in the past they did.

Then if BSs were so popular why are most of them dead and have been dead since launch? Except for two out of nine of them none can expect daily rounds to happen. Then at those two which do have some life they have grown continually more vacant not pulling the numbers they did and having more trouble even getting started. I'd hardly call that the markings of popular content.

[...] improve the effects so we have better lighting, shadowing and so forth on top of those low-res textures.
    that's what i meant, that alone will make RK look hugely different to my eyes at least.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast