Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 14th, 2010 - Multipatch

Ebon is right actually. Internal test software is often quite different structurally vs the completed product, esp in a client<-network->server suite. Usually because you need to streamline testing in a "local environment" where squashing certain bugs or debugging certain behaivors is just plain easier. This often involves fake networking communications or the complete removal of the networking component and having everything (server and client) running on the same machine but not using networking to communicate but instead interprocess.

Essentially they are about to make their first Beta Client for the new game engine, complete with all features (including network in the form it will take in the RC). So yes, if this is true, they are quite close to releasing an product that is ready for Public Beta. Alpha->Beta->Public Beta->Release. I would say with all the time and effort put in, their first beta will be more polished than people would usually expect thanks to extended alpha bug squashing, which should mean a fast path to the Public Beta and stress testing. I would put public beta estimates at this fall with a near Christmass release for the new game engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    the new client to run FASTER on old hardware
    Yahoo!
    Please, give change form. Want main be neutral. Red vs Blue are boring now.
    220 veteran player, no more complain for level alt. Do something and stop whine! (Take cry people friend with you.)
    Means: the new client to run FASTER on old hardware _________________ Faction champions.

WTB New Engine Video.
    Kamikaze "Kaitoujeanne" - 220/30/70 - Doctor
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.•`
    Ice "Shivaz" Crystal - Meta-Physicist
    .¸.•´☆ ¤º☆ ¸.•` ☆ ¤º☆.¸.•´☆ ¤º☆`.¸.•

I wonder what "old hardware" means, exactly, given that AO came out almost a decade ago, it could mean anything.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

good news, gg again for the patch ! have a nice drinktime to celebrate.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    I wonder what "old hardware" means, exactly, given that AO came out almost a decade ago, it could mean anything.
    It means they played it on a Sega Megadrive :P
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    This is my post, my post is awesome.

That is all. *heads over to Means' place*
    all hail macrosun

hail!
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Yes, this statement is meaningless w/o some reference. Does 'old hardware' mean a 1 Ghz cpu/256mb mem/built-in svga system or what?

Please state the cpu/memory/video at the very least so we can get some measure of where things stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    The current system is the system that came with the release of AO and runspeed numbers have climbed significantly since then. Some adjustments were going to be needed...this is a first important step.
    Adjustments as in run speed nerf? Or as in "how engine handles the runspeed numbers"?

If it's nerf, implement it in a way new or rather low level chars won't be affected
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

Im running a computer with a bfg gtx 8800 oc, 4 gigs ram, 3.2ghz dual core, and I would call my 'puter "old hardware" (which it is).

on the other hand, im sure the devs have the means (lol) to pull computer specs from everyone who is currently playing, and determine exactly for their purposes what "old hardware" is exactly.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

i am the only one who is afraid of runspeed being "adjustet" ? i don´t wanna be slow... in fact i need to get faster !

Perhaps any hardware that supports DirectX versions post-6 but pre-11? The stuff AO's old client always had trouble with...
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

well maybe by "adjusting runspeed" they mean increasing cap to 3k or so??
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Quote Originally Posted by ElBoogy View Post
    i am the only one who is afraid of runspeed being "adjustet" ? i don´t wanna be slow... in fact i need to get faster !
    less afraid, more disappointed that strunning (as our org calls it) was causing problems and it had to be removed. especially considering it boosted the run speed of lower level characters considerably, i hope runspeed is scaled better when they adjust it.

running for 5 minutes on a level 10 toon to get from jobe research to the other end of the bridge might feel epic(?) for a new player, but even in real life i can run faster, and i don't run if i can help it. for a toon that has implants, and is biogenetically enhanced, why the hell do they run so slow at lower levels.

In fact, why not remove runspeed entirely from IP window, and instead have all toons run at 1500/2000 rs unbuffed no matter what the level, then rely on buffs/stims as the only reliable way of running faster than others.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Removing things from the IP system isnt really viable, because as I understand it it does "bad things" to the client, like just removing that bit of IP from the system. (you, not getting it back style removing it)
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Run speed IP is great. We can feel the progression of our toon with that. BUT the strafe remove is a pain. It s maybe good for client sync or else but we still rubber. And now i feel like a turtle around SL. Remove RS cap pls !

Have a great evening all

Oh, one more thing...

All hail Sergey!

(sorry, Macrosun)
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

So I take this to mean that you're going to cap runspeed at 500 so even those on the crappiest connections have no problem with syncing up and that the new engine will then run fine with all sparklies on my crappy little netbook?

I'm almost afraid to ask what the size of the most recent install is looking like. I wonder how many people have heart attack when they have to download 10 gb patch file for new engine .

And to be fair if it were a really stressful week you'd host the party for the entire weekend and call it a "team-building exercise" for employee appreciation week.

I'll raise a glass to my favorite dev team when I get off of work.
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast