Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Gaute's word on LLTS and criticals

"The ability to increase your chance of getting a critical in combat is an integral part of the game. It is something we want, and we do not frown upon it. Our problem is that too many of the items that increase your critical chance actually stack. (Add up). As the system is today you can have the following things stack with little or no penalty:
    1. Base Critical Chance (3%)
    2. Flurry of Blows (20% critical increase at QL 200)
    3. The old "Low Light Targeting Scopes" (15% at QL 200)
    4. Self Only MA Crit Buff (24%) or Crat Speech Crit Buff (11%) at high levels."

The crat speech is only 7% and does not stack with either the MA self only buff or any of the mark lines. You do forget TTS from agents which is 4% which does stack. Flurry of blows is a very short duration buff and is sorta a melee thing and not ranged. Sure hope you guys know what you are doing..
    Rebbeca Omni Tek President
    RHD Black Watch Regiment

"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards."
    -Aldous Huxley

good job, funcom!!

1. You asked for our input about your plans to nerf an item.
    2. You listened to the people.
    3. you considered our comments.
    4. you made a decision based on your overall plans and our suggestions.
    5. you replied back to us in a timely manner and with reasons for you decisions.

Great Job!!

I would like to say thks. Any decision you make will never please everyone. But the steps you took on making is important decisions was excellent.

-thks again.
    Last edited by Odian102; Oct 8th, 2002 at 15:43:42.
    Omni Trader on RK2

Ahh, witness the snowball as is gathers momentum. And to think, it all began with a humble...

Low-Light Targeting Scopes will no longer drop...cherish the ones you have."

Good lord, NOW look where we are.
    http://webpages.charter.net/kwilliams00/ao/charpage.htm

---
    4. Self Only MA Crit Buff (24%) or Crat Speech Crit Buff (11%) at high levels.
    ---

wish i ever had that..lol. how realistic that assumption is is stated above often enough.

what i would like to hear from gaute is if he intends to implement some more NOT CRIT RELIANT weapons, or if he wants to make the wepons we use now as useless as most of the other junk ?

oh, btw the next to nerf is the x3 !

note to davedread: a high attack rating doesnt make you a good martial artist. im sure you know that, so please stop saying that almost every profession out there is better at unarmed combat than martial artists.

Originally posted by Chronita

true, so perhaps they should adjust the crit amount per ql a bit, or lower the equip reqs some. i dunno, just trying think of something here that will keep non-MA melee users happy. . .
    Sorry, was just pointing out something that is often overlooked.

I should have mentioned that I think your idea has some merit, skill reqs aside.
    VdpMeat ex-MA Engie

Arrow Re: ...

Originally posted by Empx
    Ummm.. whoever said that init debuffs or increased ranged init penalties will not affect you beyond your weapons base attack speed is smoking some serious crack. Woooo boy... serious crack.

Empx
    199/Fixer/RK2

... and I do mean serious.
    Interesting, so your saying ranged weapons can never go below their base attack speed? I was thinking of melee weapons, as I'm pretty damn sure I've had the attack times on my riders slowed below the base 2.5s - I'll go check this tonight to find out for certain.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Empx was saying that the person who said your weapon can never be slower than the base attack speed was completely wrong.

Ask for Nanos not getting any slower than the base attack speed, as a level 15 agent how long it takes to cast Meatsheild with -2000 Nano init.... 13 Seconds, to cast this 3 second nano. Nano Recharge is unaffected by anything though.

edit- spelling

4. Self Only MA Crit Buff (24%) or Crat Speech Crit Buff (11%) at high levels.
    Is it just me, or is it scary when the game director doesn't know how what things do in the game? On a better note, doe sthis mean that Crats Crit Speeches will be changed to 11% and will be made stackable with MA Self only or Mark line crit buffs?

Get it right. Crat Crit speeches are 7% and don't stack with Mark or the Self Only line crit buffs. The only thing it stacks with is Take the Shot, which is 4%.

The best SOLUTION is to level the playing field and nerf the old LLTS to 8%.

Originally posted by tallistro
    a high attack rating doesnt make you a good martial artist. im sure you know that, so please stop saying that almost every profession out there is better at unarmed combat than martial artists.
    Hehe yeah I know. I'll stop that, I'm just trying to make a point by pointing out that what is stated in the profession descriptions isn't exactly the truth. What makes a real MA a better MA user is our crit-buffs, as simple as that.
    /me workworkwork
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

Re: Gaute's word on LLTS and criticals

Do you people play your own game?

What you suggest would leave ranged users at
    15 % (llts) + 4% tts + 7% MoP +3% base = 29% crit chance, easily attainable at title level 5

IOW they don't get a penalty at all a very few of them use FoB

MA's AT TITLE LEVEL 6
    24% UVC + 3% base and occassionaly a bit more 10% or so at the cost of having my evades screwed up from here to eternity.

(no idea what ql FoB I would be able to equip, unlike in dreamland I like most ma's don't use it)
    MA's AT TITLE LEVEL 5
    19% lma + and occassionaly a bit more 10% or so at the cost of having my evades screwed up from here to eternity.

Other melee professions:

7% Mop + 3% base + and occassionaly a bit more 10% or so at the cost of having my evades screwed up from here to eternity.

In other words ranged professions will now have
    a. a higher % chance to crit than even MA's for 90% of the time
    b. still have the advantage of range, besides whatever else their professions already had going for them
    c. in case of the llts use mostly shotguns that already crit for about 1K more than fists

In order for this to have any chance of working the following is absolutely required:

1. Flurry of Blows gives a permanent crit increase
    2. Flurry of Blows can be OE'd just like scopes
    3. Flurry of blows loses the 'screws your evades' part
    4. bows need to be fixed before this happens, unlike in fairytale land where gaute lives most of them do not work on phys. init at the moment
    5. bows need a lot of improvement, there isn't a single bow that even when it would be on phys init is comparable to a ranged weapon they all suffer from at least one (most of them of multiple of these choices)
    a. horrible equip time
    b. ammo clips that are laughable
    c. horrrible damage
    d. about as rare as GA4 (anyone seen a pow-bow lately?)
    6. MoP should be melee only

Or as I suggested in an earlier thread, and cheetra suggested here add a non-ma and no ranged weapon equipped tag to FoB, and leave everything else as it is...

Hey by your own words: 1 simple change knocking a whopping 20% of the max crit chance ma's and ranged professions have.

And a change that unlike what you now suggest almost noone will complain about....
    Last edited by Hayake; Oct 9th, 2002 at 11:55:53.

Originally posted by Lucid Flow

agreed

lol how many docs and engies that use MA will there be after that
    i WANT 5 IPR pls

it took me long time to complete my implants and plan for MA engy

About the init comment I made, sorry, it was false.
    Sorry for any wrong idea it gave.

Originally posted by tavumebottes
    why not adding some crit chance increase(and a high ranged init debuff) to slayer droid transference
    That's a great idea ...
    transference is the only "decent" way of dealing a few damage, don't compel us to abandon it, and switch to shotgun like everybody

One problem, simple solution.

Remove all crit affecting items and buffs.

Set a progressive crit % on a charecter as a natural bonus, with each new title you gain 1% to you natural crit rate. So at lvl 200 you would have 10-11% of natural crit rating.

Set a higher % of natural rating for Mas, Traders and Agents.
    something like you start up with a 7, 4 and 8 respectivly.

Thats it, no hassle with items, economy will hugely benefit from it, no more whiners about he 'has it i want it too'.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

This is was the worst scenario I could imagine. Why do all this instead of nerfing the LLTS? My MA Engineer, that ONLY has 3% as base critchance will ONLY have this when soloing, and maybe lucky in teams for 7% (MoP) + 4% (TTS).

I can really forget about the FoB since I'm engineer and each point in Fast Attack will cost 4 more IP than previous point. That's one of the most expensive skill in game...

Thank you so much for nerfing the MA Engineers even more, I didn't think it was possible - but in some way you made it. Congrats, I have lost my faith in your company. I have given away all of my money and I think I'm going to sign off before the nerf. And all I had was an 8% scope and I was happy with it.

Cz, thanks for giving this idea to Gaute
    Last edited by Cz; Oct 9th, 2002 at 11:40:20.

Hayake summed it up very well (thou perhaps a tad colourful).

This proposed change will give ranged professions a large crit-advantage over melee, and a slight crit-advantage over MA's 90% of the time.
    /DaveDread (D.A.V.E.D.R.E.A.D.: Digital Artificial Violence and Exploration Device/Replicant Engineered for Assassination and Destruction mohahaha)

200 Opifex Clanner Gimp - Dinged in Style! (dimached a Virulent Minibull) Finally got my head straight, nothing like a goat helmet to get you in shape again. Oh, and those marks on my forehead (yah, still visible through the helmet, duh)... It was a Motorcycle baby. Really. Ran me over in West Athens while I was working on my tan. Think I look bad? You should see the biker.

I have posted it before on a MA forum:

You can equip a top VE (8%) and LLLTs(15%) somewhere around lvl 70 and a 110 respectably. Now a player with those scopes can get a MoP at virtually any lvl. So now we got a player with 15% and a 22% crit. chance around lvl 120.

Now when a MA can self cast UVC? Brightest ones can do it around lvl 160. Most others do it at 193. That leaves MAs 'outcrited' for about 40 long lvls in a best scenario or 70lvls at worst scenario.
    Now that is a serious problem!!!
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

This is totally wrong.

We MUST get an answer as to what compensation the MA Engineer will get. We MUST get an answer as to what compensation the MA Meta will get.

Flurry of Blows is NOT equal to LLTS. It works on only every 5th MOB or so.

You HAVE to decrease the recycle time on the FoB or add an item so that Melee users can have an opportunity to uncrease their Crit percentage.

You are SCREWING the Metaphysicist that uses a Bow or 1HB or 2HB or 2HE. You are SCREWING the Adventurer who uses Swords.

You are SCREWING everyone except who you are targetting with this NERF. You want to mess with the 18 gazzillion MA's out there critting 2/3's of the time and have done a good job with this. In the sloppy process you mess with SO MANY other good people probably inintentionally.

Explain to me how all these people who CAN'T run SG, LMA, or UVC now are supposed to be on par with those Ranged users who can eventually get a 15% LLTS or or the MA who can buff himself up to decent levels. We need an answer for anyone who isn't a sheep. They deserve it. Do we want EVERYONE in the game to turn into a Beam-wielding Martial Artist? You keep messing with the game and turn one problem into another.

Screw me once with the Bracer Nerf because of something I never engaged in. Now screw me again for a situation I wasn't a part of.

What's Gaute's answer to the punching Engineer. I'd like to hear it.

This solution is just so wrong it's not funny. If the problem is too many crits, then it seems obvious that you reduce the amount of crit increase that items do. You hit everyone across the board. This change punches some people in the stomach hard and leaves others essentially unscathed.

Does your game designer know that Flurry of Blows is not supposed to be useable with ranged weapons. Have him ask his programmers. That might be broken now. Check the database entry: "Weapons wielded NOT set 4".

This change doesn't affect a character using a weapon with Ranged Init one single iota.
    Last edited by Cz; Oct 9th, 2002 at 11:41:28.

Originally posted by Lucid Flow

For you to say this must mean that you do not have one, so of course you want them nerfed, well there are ALOT more of us that do have them so scream nerf somewhere else!!
    Valroshe: 213 Trader Clan

Spdbuff : 130 Fixer Clan

Pround member of Arcane Circle

My type is:AES
    Achiever 66%
    Explorer 66%
    Socializer 40%
    Killer 26%

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast