Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Goodbyes...

Final Goodbyes...

To my dearest son, Jaxon.

I am positive you won't understand this letter when you get it, but later when you're all grown up, you might have a better idea. If you are reading this, it means I was killed in action fighting the invaders we refer to as the Kyr'Ozch.

I went into battle knowing, every day, that I wanted a brighter future for you, my son. More than anything, it means I want you to survive and perhaps be an even better man, than I was. When you're older and you have a son, you'll understand why hard decisions like this, while unsettling to think about, must be made. To live in todays world, you must make sacrifices. Sometimes, it means dying in order to achieve them.

You are my greatest creation, son. Do not for a moment ever feel that your mother and I did not care for you more than we cared for ourselves. I am not sure what the future holds, but this week I anticipate fighting the greatest surge of enemies our planet has ever had to deal with. The fleet was so large, we couldn't dare help but watch our tracking of it, with awe and forboding.

With this letter, is everything I've managed to scrape together that's will be useful to you, including a map to a location where I have stored various things that will help you as you get older and more experienced. I've also left things for you that will help you remember who we were to you, your mother and I. Don't forget that our sacrifices were made to make sure you could live to continue the line. Be strong, work hard, and keep honour between yourself and any worthy human being you come into contact with, even your enemies.

I often wondered how this might go, being a father and all. I was not like other men, and they laughed at me, when I told them I would be a father. Being an Atrox, no one suspected that our breed carried such wonders. Some people forget their beginnings, but I did not. Everything that I am, and ever have been, are with you now, and forever. I often mused to myself when we would watch you grow up, the advice we would give, the stories we could impart, and the lessons we teach.. But you, my son, will have to forgive me for not having those times with you. For that most grave error, I can only offer you my apologies.

Be strong. Be fair. Be honourable. But above all things, be true to yourself first. That which you carry with you, in the inner spirit of your heart, is nothing anyone can take from you, unless you allow them. Keep that fire inside you burning hot, and no one will dare strike out at you.

I wish you the insight of experience and wisdom of time and opportunity. Keep your eyes open, your head up and looking forward and behind you at all times. Be wary of people who are too friendly, or not friendly enough. Remember to listen to everyone's opinion, even if you don't like it. Always lend your ears and possibly a shoulder, but rarely offer your voice unless it carries sincerity of purpose. Always keep with you, a token of the values that which you hold to be truest in your mind. Make every decision with strength, and keep to your strengths. Honour and love your children and your mate, even as they love and honour you. People will recognize you if you are always true to your word and devotions. And finally, even as you might know that you are going to face certain death, do not fear it. Death is a change; a doorway. It is the final portal we pass through before we assume the beyond.

Remember these words. I may not be with you in flesh, but in spirit always. We will always love you, no matter what.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bubba looks up from the writing on the desk in front of him, and puts his pen down. He sits back in his chair, and with dread anticipation, draws a deep breath. His large hands, scarred from mortal fights across the last decade, placed upon his own head, as he looks up at the ceiling in deep thought.

He turns to his left, where the young Opifex boy and his mother are picking up toys in the front living area of their home. He smiles as he watches on. A tiny tear almost dares to leave the corner of his eye.

Looking back, he takes the paper and folds it carefully into a small brown envelope, before putting it in his back pocket. He will need to make sure the proper person will carry his message to its final destination, should the need arise.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; May 1st, 2010 at 07:35:58.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

((Awww....Poor kid! Let's hope his dad doesn't....you know...bite the big one ._. ))
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

(amidoinitrite...what happened to respawning? do the aliens stop it?)
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    (amidoinitrite...what happened to respawning? do the aliens stop it?)
    ( do your own homework. )
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

(Nice letter. But atroxes can't reproduce so the whole "You are my greatest creation, son" seemed a bit out of place to me. Unless you not going by AO facts that is, then cheers. )
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

( I did go by AO facts, actually. Atroxes can have children. You just need to be of the right strain to do so. I have about 3-4 years of RP and a good backstory to help it along, going into that particular arc, and i did it so that players actually had to be involved. Everyone I RP with can tell you, this was not a story arc I took lightly.)
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

(http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...mplate=content Please post some kind of info that proves atrox can reproduce because here I have a link that plainly states they can't. I really do want to see where you got your facts from since I had never know it to be true they can reproduce.)
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

(( oh dear...Dont die o_o))
    “You can't undo anything you've already done, but you can face up to it. You can tell the truth. You can seek forgiveness. And then let fate do the rest.”
    Proud Member of steadfast <3
    Love you guys! <3

((@ grim one, for the most part no atrox's can't reproduce; however, this is sci-fi and sometimes you can bend the rules a bit. But with that comes a lot of work and support from others, which Bubba did and got. it's not like he just said "oh i'm going to have a kid and did it. There was a long involved story behind it, with a lot of player support. In short the character went through a few different medical procedures to make it possible for him to reproduce.

Anyway touching story there hoss. ))
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    ((@ grim one, for the most part no atrox's can't reproduce; however, this is sci-fi and sometimes you can bend the rules a bit. But with that comes a lot of work and support from others, which Bubba did and got. it's not like he just said "oh i'm going to have a kid and did it. There was a long involved story behind it, with a lot of player support. In short the character went through a few different medical procedures to make it possible for him to reproduce.

Anyway touching story there hoss. ))
    ((This is really not meant to be a personal attack on his RP skills. I really do want to know where he got his info from since he said he did go by AO facts. Even if he did make up a very elaborate story explaining how its possible and got support from several players that is still not AO facts it is just something a very creative player made up to support his role in RP. In short I am looking for info from an official AO site he used or chat he had with one of the Devs (hi Kintaii) that states this is something they would see as happening in their vision of AO.))

(( Facts are, as I know them, an Artox cannot reproduce.

However, in Bubba's case, there was a Scientific Breakthrough which occurred. ))
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_One View Post
    (http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...mplate=content Please post some kind of info that proves atrox can reproduce because here I have a link that plainly states they can't. I really do want to see where you got your facts from since I had never know it to be true they can reproduce.)
    ( I often have to explain it in character, because you're not the first person to get on me about this particular thing.

First of all, the very first strains that were cultivated of the atrox breed, were genetically created to be hermaphrodite. Ie, containing both genders simulataneously. I consider the difference between modern day atrox, and bubba to be quite different. I'd have to go into great detail regarding Bubba's background, but the Project GOLEM was started by Biomare scientists that went underground shortly after being fired from Omni-tek. They began research and using stolen genetic material to reproduce their own Atrox for the express purpose of being able to build their own cheap labour. Since they didn't have the capital to use the modern strains, they had to go back to earlier and less perfected strains in order to produce any results. In short, the BUBBA Clan was born (Actually an anagram we made, ill leave that detail out). All the Atrox from that strain where hermaphrodite, but still showed outward signs of being male.

Here is a question for you: If Atrox dont have penises, how do they urinate?

So, I take this literally as "We have the equipment, we just shoot blanks." Now, the first thing I did in game was actually have several medical surgeries and took medications to stablize being reassigned to being totally male. So, that allowed bubba to wholly psychologically consider himself 'male' in several aspects. He now was fully male at least in the aesthetic sense.

Couple with several other surgeries to remove scarring, skin grafts, and enhancements (Stuff that are actually practiced in today's medical science world) he could still not have children in the conventional sense. However, genetic manipulation is something that can easily go on when you're 30k years in the future. So, we take a chromosome from Bubba, and the chromosome from Ahava (my IG wife) And you put them together you get just enough genetic material to allow a surrogate child. Basically we did modern embreyo transplantation.

Et voila, Atrox Father, Opifex mother.

I play it mostly that Bubba's son will mostly be Opifex. I don't think that this is all that hard to consider, again, being 30k years in the future. I went through several RP'rs that were doctors, engineers, and such to theorize how this could be done.. because it was somewhat of a conundrum as to why an Atrox would ever marry for love reasons. If someone can think they are medically neuter, then what sort of sexual identity could you really hold? So, we started there... and ended here.

3-4 game years. Bubba can still have more children, but unless I do something like swap breeds come rebalance, then again we'd have to resort to unconvential means of carrying a child to term.

So, yes... Atrox CAN have children. Not only can they have children, but it kinda really bothers me how because someone reads something on a page, takes it as token biblical canon. If youre creative enough, stupid facts like "Atrox CANT HAVE BABIES" cease to stop me from evolving a character in game.

And to balance that view, I RP my engineer, Towerblock in such a way that he has no sexual identity whatsoever. Sexuality is meaningless and somewhat comedic to him. Ask any of the other people, how often i say "Silly breeders and their silly mating rituals" In character, around them. Its not like I am saying that ALL atrox should follow this example, I am just saying that if youre a smart and creative roleplayer, barriers are kinda meaningless unless they are absolutes.

The saying that 'Atrox cant have children', cant ever be an absolute. So, I took liberties with it, creatively, to create a character I knew would be fun and interesting for me to continuously play.

Besides, from a character study point of view, it was prolly the most fun and intriuging aspect of Bubba's evolution.)
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Oh yeah, this conversation for fun and lulz.

http://forums.anarchyonline.com/showthread.php?p=961433
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    ( I often have to explain it in character, because you're not the first person to get on me about this particular thing....)
    ((So if this is the reply I am getting in other words you have no actual AO facts to back up your claim just a very creative story. That is fine. If so that is all you would of had to say to save your self from explaining it yet again to a person who clearly lacks imagination because they want to go by the actual AO storyline on the development of atroxes.))

((So if this is the reply I am getting in other words you have no actual AO facts to back up your claim just a very creative story. That is fine. If so that is all you would of had to say to save your self from explaining it yet again to a person who clearly lacks imagination because they want to go by the actual AO storyline on the development of atroxes.))
    (Then I'd start that by re-reading the part i had said about the AO fact of "Atroxes, in the beginning, were bred to be hermaphrodite." Besides, if you're truly happy with a single paragraph of what that link you posted, then more power to you. That's not the only paragraph out there. You'll have to forgive the week of double shifts and being 3am+ where I live, because I do not care to write a 3 page academic essay for your approval. As stated to someone else, above, do your own homework.

The plausibility exists that in a world where people are spat out machines after death, then doing something as menial as modern day gender reassignment is rather insignificant. Besides, if Atroxes can be made neuter, then it stands to reason that the reverse can also be just as true.)
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    (Ah.. trolling. Cute.

reread this: Atroxes were first created as hermaphrodites. That is canon. If you wanna do the research for your own purposes do it, its not my responsibility to post essays and links at 2:30am after a week of double shifts. Besides, in today's world, transgendering already happens. Is it so hard to think that AO just left modern day science behind in every aspect? Here is something else to consider. If Atrox can be made completely genderless, then by all logic the plausibility exists its reversible)
    ((No... not trolling actually, nice attempt to spin it though to get people to think that is what I am trying to do. I first offered a simple critique to your "You are my greatest creation" comment that referred to your atrox character being able to have a son. As such what I know by AO Facts (something the developers of AO storyline create, not players) that is not true. You stated that you went by AO facts. I asked asked you where you got your facts from but instead got your long RP story of how you (just a player) think it could happen after I clearly stated in a post #10 "In short I am looking for info from an official AO site he used or chat he had with one of the Devs". This is not or ever was about whether or not I could imagine it happening. So stop trying to pretend you are so superior in the whole imagining stuff department. I simply wanted you to post your references. Since you do not feel it is your responsibility to post references that contradict the know fact that an Artox can not reproduce then I am just going to have to go on believing you really never did have any AO facts to back it up. Which brings me to the end of my post where I have been told I am not going to get the response I was looking for and you only thinking I am a troll...))

((No... not trolling actually, nice attempt to spin it though to get people to think that is what I am trying to do. I first offered a simple critique to your "You are my greatest creation" comment that referred to your atrox character being able to have a son. As such what I know by AO Facts (something the developers of AO storyline create, not players) that is not true. You stated that you went by AO facts. I asked asked you where you got your facts from but instead got your long RP story of how you (just a player) think it could happen after I clearly stated in a post #10 "In short I am looking for info from an official AO site he used or chat he had with one of the Devs". This is not or ever was about whether or not I could imagine it happening. So stop trying to pretend you are so superior in the whole imagining stuff department. I simply wanted you to post your references. Since you do not feel it is your responsibility to post references that contradict the know fact that an Artox can not reproduce then I am just going to have to go on believing you really never did have any AO facts to back it up. Which brings me to the end of my post where I have been told I am not going to get the response I was looking for and you only thinking I am a troll...))
    (( First of all, I am not sure where I left the clue that I could really give a **** about your critique. I even went back after thinking a bit better about my previous post, deleted it, and tried to be nicer about it. But, sadly, you seem affixed upon needing to contradict. I simply gave you the fact, and you rejected it. If it was to your liking how i presented it, or not, doesn't matter to me. So, in response, I am rejecting your assertations as well. While were at it, flush that hyprocritical passive aggressive crap down the proverbial toilet. You came after me with all that tripe, NOT the other way around.))
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

(( Here, I tell you what. I'll retract my statement from before. By canon you posted, sure, Atroxes cannot sire children. However, I will addend that statement by mentioning that my character is not a typical atrox, and has had several alterations and procedures that allow him to give up enough genetic material to offer a path to an unconventional pregnancy. By that pregnancy, I mean something that is doable by today's standards.

Is that a decent enough compromise for ya? Or are you going to genre-nazi that too?)
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; May 1st, 2010 at 10:56:17.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

(( Sweet Christmas on Jupiter, leave Bubbacrush alone. He's allowed to RP whatever the Hell he wants, and a tweak in limitations can fall right under that. ))
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

(( The issue here is actually a classic one which I have had many-a-debate about when talking about ARK. We're talking about Creativity vs. Canon. There's a lot of information about breeds which is considered fact. And for all intents and purposes anyone who deviates from these facts should be called out on them. To this, Grim has a very solid point.

However, there is a an element inside of the community that ARK and FunCom are powerless to do anything about; this element is reputation. Bubba is one of the great roleplayers on Rimor, and for his time and effort the community has bestowed upon him a great deal of respect. This Respect can, at times, be used to cause things to happen which otherwise could not because the community will rally behind the idea and support it.

While the vast majority of people who walk up as a Atrox and say "This is the son I sired" would be laughed away and told that could not happen, Bubba can pull it off because the Community has faith in Bubba to not arse the whole thing up, which he hasn't.

TL\DR version: Atroxs can't have babies. Bubba can because he's the ****. nuff said. ))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast