Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - April 9th, 2010 - New faces, Old faces

There is a strong Asian influence evident on the new heads. Look up "epicanthic fold" for the clueless. Sorry but the work so far is a strong departure from the traditional look of AO. AO is about to go from looking dated to looking like a cheap Asian MMO.

Note- the influence is not so apparent on the solitus female. She did not go Asian, she just went ugly and harsh.

i think you're squinting too much at looking at these post and new heads for details..watch out..you might have "epicantic folds" and you dont even know it ^_=

i woudnt wan't Big Bambi eye toons ^_=.
    Last edited by hmongeese; Apr 9th, 2010 at 21:18:28.

Serious question:

ETA on Troll T-shirts??????????
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

i personally can't wait to see the detail of the afro hairstyle. wtb afros for all breeds/genders/skin tones plox
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by likewater View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but would it not be possible to release the most stable version of the new client you have and just patch in new stuff as you complete it?Some new is better than no new at all. People that wanted to run the old client could just not upgrade. Seems that you'll have to leave the old one live for a while anyway for all the people that don't have systems that support the new client.
    They've already said on numerous occasions that they will NOT be supporting both engines, when the new engine is ready, the old one goes down the toilet. If your computer can't handle it, upgrade or quit AO. Those will be the 2 choices.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    They've already said on numerous occasions that they will NOT be supporting both engines, when the new engine is ready, the old one goes down the toilet. If your computer can't handle it, upgrade or quit AO. Those will be the 2 choices.
    pretty sure means said they will be running both engines side by side for a while
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    They have already stated that the new engine won't arrive until a new 'New user Experience' has been in place and thoroughly tested and debugged. Watch for that to hit live before bothering to ask "Is the engine ready yet?"
    That's the best way to do it!

About the new heads, it feels kinda awkward, "AO" and "good graphic"is… …wierd!

Is it me or do these heads look chinese / asian?

Alien hunter Shinya - nano engi
    In progress Rhinoceros - Atrox crat
    Rerolled - Spaceboy - Now neutral fixer
    Nearly there Tentonhammer - Former Squad Commander of Black Faction Take care out there guys

nice start with head reworking. i really hope to see new engine come the soonest the best ... AO needs it to live ^^
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Really excited to see the level of detail on the new heads in-game, but I have to agree with those who think they look a bit Asian. While it would actually be really cool to have SOME Asian looking heads (are there any currently?), I'm thinking they may ALL end up looking like that, and that would not be very AO. Someone said they're based on Asian models, and I agree that's what it looks like.

I wish the artists were a little bolder - the atrox looks like a big human. I swear I saw a guy like that barely contained by a black suit (and a wireless ear piece) in front of a bar downtown the other night... Not buying the born-in-a-tube bit from this one - even though it still looks nice, of course.

Also, bump for the glowing visor vs glowing eyes behind blue plastic.

Don't get me wrong, the heads do look great overall, hope my criticism is constructive...

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    By the way, did your head-popularity stats take into account the legions of xp-stim farmers and gold-spammers that were simply rolled as fast as possible, thereby inflating the popularity of the default heads.
    He said it was the heads that "were actually in use" which would mean current chars, not the many deleted ones over the years as well. The people that would have done XP stim farming would have long since deleted those chars.

As for Asian looking heads, some current heads are Asian looking. Most the ones shown this time were clearly works in progress so you can't judge them too well yet. Plus I seem to remember seeing heads that were from that office before that didn't look Asian.

Then the new engine won't remake AO. There is certainly going to be far more changes beyond what you get from better effects (better shadows, lighting, reflections and such) at its launch than originally planed. Although apparently most textures will still be the same so aside from maybe looking somewhat better due to better effects most things will look apparently about the same. Redone textures will supposedly get rolled out over time though. We're not getting AoC level graphics if that's what people are expecting.

Graphics certainly aren't everything though. Somewhat better graphics may get some more people in the door and make it run better with current systems. Although if new people don't like the game itself they won't stick around any more than they do now as there is certainly no shortage of other games out there these days. I really don't get all this excitement over the engine or inventory icons as if it will reinvent AO or something. I'm interested in it but far more interested in the actual game play and content related changes.

Means send some pics of yourself and the team to the chinese so they stop making asian faces. I dont mind and actually like having asian faces on a toon or 2, but all of these have a very eastern feel and the overall look of the game would diminish if everything looked like the current models. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I am sorry about the much longer wait than anticipated. We all look forward to witty "vaporware" jokes....but it won't stop us from working on it....even link the word "vaporware" to Wikipedia if you like. Funny stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGPEcko View Post
    Can expect it all we want I guess... no reason for it to come though. Graphics engine is complete vaporware.
    did i just make a win?
    can anyone confirm please?
    Last edited by AGPEcko; Apr 9th, 2010 at 23:47:02.
    Fastest Contact: Northadvncd "Agptaxi" Bankterminal
    Created: 2005-08-07 The AGP Cancelled: 2012-02-11
    AGPSHADOWMA2202568[P][E] AGPSHADOOMNT2142650[P][E]
    AGPECKOSOL1502049[P] AGPATLASDOC1502023[P]
    JURKENF150207[P][P2] JWRKENF270207 JUURKMP600614[P] HANZELSOL1001028[P]

Quote Originally Posted by mocs View Post
    I suggest removing ''katana'' name from game also....unless new profession available ''samurai''
    Hey! Us ninja-dinosaur-pirates need our katanas, we wanna ride in style after all.

@AGP it's a bit like training hard to become the best greek bandy-team, no?
    Last edited by Dogtrauma; Apr 9th, 2010 at 23:48:06. Reason: letters, such slippery little buggers
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Funcom employee

Posted
    Yey! Funsies!

Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    There is a strong Asian influence evident on the new heads. Look up "epicanthic fold" for the clueless. Sorry but the work so far is a strong departure from the traditional look of AO. AO is about to go from looking dated to looking like a cheap Asian MMO.
    I find it difficult to find epicanthic folds on heads with no eyeballs.

They've been working on these heads for all of a week; they'll look better with time. Fortunately (or unfortunately) AO doesn't really have 51 heads, as most of the heads are duplicated with different hairstyles, which should speed some things up.

On that topic, I hope when they put the heads in the new engine they do it so all the same-looking ones are grouped together, instead of the unordered mess it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soultrader View Post
    pretty sure means said they will be running both engines side by side for a while
    In a previous FwM it was mentioned they're going to run the old engine and new engine side by side, literally, while checking to make sure the new engine is fully functional. Everything that's been stated says once the new engine is out, it'll be the only client.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

I've been here a long time and I'll continue to play whatever so I don't expect anyone to listen but...

I think the current heads have more character and are better designs than the new versions. All the new heads look Chinese at the moment (I know it's all WIP) and none, either in this batch or those shown previously, are in any way appealing. I feel they've been homogenized and character has been sacrificed for texture. The basic shapes are wrong, that is not an Atrox for instance, that's just a big human.

When they're little toon faces in 3rd person view the character is what's going to show up, not the follicles. I just feel the priorities are wrong at the moment.

I'm sure this will change, well I'm not sure, but I'm hoping.

There, I've been negative (tried to be constructive too), now I'm sad

I wonder how many time it will take to double the number of character with the least wanted face!

Means, you should pop a special tshirt in the inventory of the infamous 56 toons :>

Holy flying leet's crap, that's some major progress!

heh... yes, there's clearly an asian influence on the heads, but it's not completely ruining it for me.

They are Chinese; artists create what they know and have experienced, so can you really blame them for creating what they see on a day to day basis? lol

And Flaptoot is there to supervise, I suppose he's art directing them. I think we should let them finish up and tweak before we start heavily criticizing it. They don't even have textures on them yet, just meshes... sheesh lol

I for one am happy to see some stuff happening.
    Last edited by AryannaCK; Apr 10th, 2010 at 00:49:20.
    **Proud Squad Commander of Nightmares End**

Aeirilys - 220 Doc RK2
    Spiritofsnow - 150 Sol RK2
    Oniaikido - 98 Leveling Up MA RK2

[ Rebel for Life ]~[ Clan 'til Death ]

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast