Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - Light at the end of the tunnel - February 26th, 2010

Funcom employee Friday with Means - Light at the end of the tunnel - February 26th, 2010

With a few bad weeks behind us...and the entire team slowly returning from the grips of another bout of seasonal plague...it is great to see some light at the end of the tunnel (See image below!)

Progress this week has included really getting close to the finish line with transfer for the German dimension, further light implementation in the new engine, more polish applied to the daily missions (new version coming to TestLive today...assuming no disasters), and a first look at our intention "in general terms" for the hated "nemesis nanos"...with the first two to be adjusted coming to TestLive in today's version: GTH and Borrow Reflect.

The general strategy going forward for work to be done on the Nemesis Nanos is a simple one. The nanos are currently either of little use...or generally an overly effective tool against one profession. It is the intention that all of these nanos will be redesigned to be usefull against ALL professions (perhaps more effective on some than others due to the nature of professions) but NOT an overpowering factor in the outcome between profession X and Y.

Borrow Reflect:

This nano in its current state simply removes the reflect (entire defense) of the soldier and enables God-Mode for the Trader for 30 seconds (100% reflect.)

The adjusted version of this nano going to TestLive today has been altered in a few ways:

1. This nano is now usable on ANY profession who currently has more than 24 ReflectMeleeAC at the current moment. (Has reflect to "borrow")
    2. The Debuff component of this nano is now -30 to all Reflect types. The Duration is now also reduced to 15 seconds. Significant...but not the complete removal of a professions defense that it was before.
    3. The Buff component of the nano now grants +30 to all reflect types to the Trader for a period of 60 seconds. Again...significant and nice to have...but not the god mode the previous encounter offered. With the opening up for more professions this should be generally more usefull and less situational.

Grand Theft Humidity:

Current Live versio of this nano has the victim stripped of all nano (multiple times) for an extended period of 60 seconds. This nano can be cast repeatedly without respite for the victim. This nano ends if the Trader dies as the "Buff" and the "Debuff" are linked.

The adjusted version of this nano going to TestLive today has been altered in a few ways:

1. The victim (regardless of profession) will now be drained of 15%/second of their total Nanopool for a duration of 15 seconds.
    2. The Trader will regain 10%/second of their nanopool for the 15 seconds of the duration of the effect.
    3. Casting this nano will be subject to a 60 second local cooldown preventing this nano from being repeatedly cast.
    4. The debuff component of this nano will stop if the Trader dies during the altercation.

These are first steps in making these nanos again more generally usefull without making them the most important aspects of combat. I look forward to sharing the progress on other members of the "nemesis nano" group as they become available. These two nanos in particular seemed to be a good place to start as they have generated the most heated conversations in this area...and were clearly an area that needed focus to restore the "fun" to certain areas of PvP content. Thank you to all who offered their views on how these nanos should be adjusted to restore overall balance in this area. While I don't expect everyone to agree with the exact direction we have taken with these I hope everyone can at least agree with the general "feel" we are going for.

Have a great weekend! I'm looking forward to seeing some of our German players on RK1 and RK2 early next week
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First!
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Second!

Nice pic

Good changes to BR and GTH.
    Last edited by Manicmouse; Feb 26th, 2010 at 16:02:03.
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

Wow it's early today!

Image looks great btw!
    Last edited by Ebondevil; Feb 26th, 2010 at 15:59:35.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Cool pic
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

The Coder Formerly known as INSERTGMNICKHERE Parsed's Avatar

Funcom employee

Yay

Will Borrow reflect have a cooldown before it can be used again?
    Veteran of Equilibrium

yay! thx for giving rk3-transfer a high priority!

im happy to have my toons on rk1 next week

Re: BR/GTH.

\o/
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Heh, fun times.

If soldiers want to team me from now on, they'll need to cast no higher than Empowered Major Reflective Field or **** off.

GTH changes look alright, more so if combined with planned changes to have healing dip into nanopool more heavily.
    Last edited by crattey; Feb 26th, 2010 at 16:08:38.

Great picture and the changes to GTH and Borrow Reflect seem reasonable to me Good job.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

First page again.

That could not look prettier if it tried. I am in awe. Good job, team I really can't wait for this to hit the servers.

--Argo
    Tacharnan - 220/27/70 neut Advy, NEPA [s]
    Argo - 210/23 neut Fixer, NEPA
    Argottus - 183 omni Fixer (froob)
    DrZhivargo - 153/11 neut Doc, NEPA
    Tacharkeep - 150/9 omni Kipper
    Argoleech - 106 omni Tarder (froob)
    Argomp - 73 neut MP (froob), NEPA
    Tachargo - 55/6/14 neut Fixer, NEPA

RK2 | TLFivePlus | Omneut

Love that screen shot tbh!

Thank you for making this week Über Means
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Is it just me or does that screenshot have "bloom"? It seems to have that slightly "fuzzy" quality that bloom effect gives in environments with bright lighting.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Will Borrow reflect have a cooldown before it can be used again?
    Should be yes. Otherwise the Trader will have +60 reflects all the time since everyone has RRFE running. Imo that still is OP.
    Actually it sounds like a complete new nano. Give it a 5 minute cooldown at least.
    Last edited by lordran; Feb 26th, 2010 at 16:17:37.
    Lordran 220/30/70 Soldier, Equip

Enfoosz 200/22/42 Enfo
    Fixxet 170/21/42 Fixer
    Nanolin 165/15/42 NT
    Ilonta 150/18/36 Doctor, equip

Quote Originally Posted by lordran View Post
    Should be yes. Otherwise the Trader will have +60 reflects all the time since everyine has RRFE running. Imo that still is OP.
    Naaah perma-tms on a trader is perfectly reasonable!
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast