Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post Re-balancing - tanks and healers

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9003 View Post
    I tried to level my adv and there was no doc to be found. WTF?
    That's the second step : They quit or roll something else.

Which may happen to TL7 too if Docs are not needed anymore in raids.

To balance this you could say okay, give more offense to docs to make them competitive against semi healers that have good dd, but then, let's just rename AO to Adventurer Online and all be the same DD/heals/evades/debuff.
    Last edited by epolass; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 15:52:28.
    Epolass 220/27 Eternalist Dedicated nurse
    Secretairepo 194/10 Dictator-wanabe Taking the path to TL7
    Hiddenpolas 150/11 Spectre with a nice blood cloak
    President of ACF Douce folie

Quote Originally Posted by Mereditche View Post
    I can't care less about the balancing. Afterwards, the same people will still be whining on forums, the rest will adapt as always.

seems like most 220 enfos and docs these days are used OSTing. probably explains the reason for the OP.

*edit* This seems to be the main reason these days for rolling a doc and powering them to 220.
    Last edited by Worldofalts; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 17:41:14.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

let keepers/sold tank, and let advies/agents heal, but make it so a enfo/doc can provide CC on a level that makes it so crats arent required (in non tank/heal setups).

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    You see, that's the greatest problem for agents. They try to be something they're not and always end up being second choice or worse. Throughout the past years that's the complaint I've seen most often from agents. Why not adapt agents to be infiltrators with the unique ability to perform hit and run tactics. The tool set supports this, but it's just not doing a good enough job at it. Bail nanos, concealment, sniping (AS), snaring - those are the true tools of the agent meant for infiltrating. The FP nanos have taken too much focus from what agents are meant to do, and if you think about it for a second I don't think you'll find that doing every other professions job at 50% effectiveness is what agents are about. The only reason you focus on agents as healers here is because FP doctor has traditionally been the most useful FP to you.

I'd wager that when people rolled their agent it was to utilize the tools I mentioned above to "snipe" others and not to be second rate healers.
    I'll be the first Agent to admit in this thread that I rolled my Agent strictly because of FP. It is hands down the most unique ability of any class in any MMO I've played. It is what Agents are meant to do, and I imagine most didn't care that they had sniper rifles (from what I've talk to my fellow Agents about).

The real complaint of most Agents is that the FP toolset has been ignored for years FORCING us to use Mimic Doc. We're finally getting that addressed and we're all really excited about it.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    I'll be the first Agent to admit in this thread that I rolled my Agent strictly because of FP. It is hands down the most unique ability of any class in any MMO I've played.
    a ability that lets you copy others makes you unique...

Quote Originally Posted by lostlife View Post
    let keepers/sold tank
    besides the few raids with billions of adds where aoe taunts really do keep the team safe, what's stopping them?

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    besides the few raids with billions of adds where aoe taunts really do keep the team safe, what's stopping them?
    ur a tank
    Solidstriker 220 Soldier- Pewpew Galore | Markerz 220 Engineer- Widowmaker
    Speedyadvy 165 Adventurer- PvP Gimp | Cruellia 164 Bureaucrat - Puppies!
    Nerf 219 Agent - From the Shadows | Swishswash 157 Fixer - Vector Tap
    Northaurora 85 Nano-Technician - Shimmering Light

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    ur a tank
    Fair enough o.o

@ lostlife:

I think you raise a really good point: I'd really like to see keeper or sold be able to "tank" a tough raid, but, the AOE crowd control is lacking, seriously, hard, and so much so that yes, it's impossible for a sold or keeper to tank a raid that has adds.

period.

So, how to fix: as you suggested, and, I think is a fantastic idea, is, to couple the skills up with other profs.

Like: crat+keeper gain some kind of weird harmonzing resonance which, when keepers use the new reverse knockback perk (it could check if a crat aura is running on self first), and, not only would it do reverse knockback, BUT, it would also do like a 25000 AOE taunt: thus providing the necessary crowd control needed to effectively tank a normal raid (with adds). (that perk needs a 25s recharge btw)

As well: maybe a soldier+advy combo could work too: like, a soldier *should* get a general use 1000 2m AOE taunt, which, when in wolf form and leader of the pack/ mother wolf is running in NCU, gains a 10 multiplier (to 10k taunt) and range goes from 2m to 5m or whatever, thus providing the soldier with strong tanking ability as well.

Realistically, we don't want to replace enforcers. We just need some options so that if there isn't an enforcer around, the entire game doesn't just suddenly wtfcollapse.

Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    We just need some options so that if there isn't an enforcer around, the entire game doesn't just suddenly wtfcollapse.
    interesting ideas, but that last statement seems more than a little melodramatic.

Like: crat+keeper gain some kind of weird harmonzing resonance which, when keepers use the new reverse knockback perk (it could check if a crat aura is running on self first), and, not only would it do reverse knockback, BUT, it would also do like a 25000 AOE taunt: thus providing the necessary crowd control needed to effectively tank a normal raid (with adds). (that perk needs a 25s recharge btw)
    if my theory of deteriorating agg is true then 25k agg every 25 secs would me near worthless, 5k every 5 secs would be better, but still have little value in bigger raids, with the shear amount of healing agg being thrown around.

Ever tried leading pande raid without an enforcer?

Its um, not happening.

It's a bit.. extreme, but, trust me, if theres 50 people waiting 30 minutes for a raid to start, thats 25 man hours lost. = collapse :/

Ever tried leading pande raid without an enforcer?

Its um, not happening.

It's a bit.. extreme, but...
    no argument with that, but out of all the high level raids i can think of, only a few will "wtfcollapse" without an enforcer. not the entire game. /shrug

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    no argument with that, but out of all the high level raids i can think of, only a few will "wtfcollapse" without an enforcer. not the entire game. /shrug
    I agree. but, lets not lose sight of the point though, which is that enforcers play, currently, such an indispensable role, that without 1 enforcer, it can cause a serious delay.

If we can spread that role around a bit, everyone will be happy, since there won't be a: Lets do that raid. Theres no enforcers online. /mass wrist

Quote Originally Posted by lostlife View Post
    a ability that lets you copy others makes you unique...
    Yeah, it does. Name one other profession, or even one other class that can do that. It's like Ditto the pokemon. He does what nobody else can do, even though he uses the same moves as the person he copies.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    Yeah, it does. Name one other profession, or even one other class that can do that. It's like Ditto the pokemon. He does what nobody else can do, even though he uses the same moves as the person he copies.
    You're missing the point. Let's say for a second that you know nothing about agents and how they work in AO. When you hear the word "agent", what do you think? Do you think, oh my, that's a profession that can heal others reliably in end game raids? It's funny, but bail nanos, concealment, sniping and snaring seems a lot closer to their nature. I don't think it says "healing" anywhere in the description you read when rolling an agent either. Correct me if I'm wrong, since I've never had one.

While the FP nanos are ofcourse a defining part of an agents tool set, then the nanos they give access to are not. The ability to use them is, however.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

As a doctor I have to say I love this idea. healing all the time gets boring, I'd like to have the choice to do DD when i feel like it rather then always being a main healer

It seems docs like being must-haves and enfos like being must-haves as well. I understand why this is the case. You like what your profession does, and possibly want to be as wanted as currently.

For the rest of us, possibly with a single TL7 toon (I only have my advy), raids and getting teams is challenging to say the least (at least I'm not a MP) since the super useful professions are always picked up first. Hell, I do it myself as well.

If you dislike the idea of a Beast raid being feasible without a doc, it's been done already. Ditto with enf. It's just not very practical at the moment, particularly when you don't know everyone you're teaming with.

If say, keepers got some AOE tanking abilities for instance in the form of a pulsing AOE taunt aura that doesn't let them use other auras, and advies got some sort of major (thinking around 100%+ here) tree form heal efficiency buff while retaining slow-ish movement and possibly overwriting wolf aura as well; it would help us substitute for the times when doctors are not around and/or there is no enforcer.

It would be really nice to be wanted in teams. I remember time and time again when I was trying to get my cloth how hard it was to find a doc or a crat for the 12 man, even to the extent that teams would disband before finding one or there was a wait of 30+ minutes before getting one.

Additions such as the above would not take away the doc's super healing ability. It would quite possibly make them less required (as in not nearly 100% of endgame encounters unless you want to make your team/raid members think you're nuts) but not less desired, really. Ditto for enfs - no profession takes a pounding and keeps agg like an enf. Furthermore, these abilities in the above examples would not come without a cost to the performance of said profession otherwise.

So, the arguments against the above have been "it will make all the professions the same" and "don't give my toolset away plox". It's quite obvious that it is possible to let professions have different ways and nonoverlapping tools (docs would have HP buffs, UBT, HoT for instance in addition to still far superior healing) that perform the same task. It's also obvious that this can be designed in such a way that the existing made-it-in-the-shade professions will still be the most desired for a role.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    It seems docs like being must-haves and enfos like being must-haves as well. I understand why this is the case. You like what your profession does, and possibly want to be as wanted as currently.
    No one said that anywhere in this thread iirc. Personally I said that we need to find a middle road. Some place where you don't need a doctor/enforcer for everything you do, but still need it for the large raids and are beneficial to have for smaller raids.

New content will always put a pressure on a few profs when they launch, simply because everyone wants to get their new stuff as fast as possible.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    No one said that anywhere in this thread iirc. Personally I said that we need to find a middle road. Some place where you don't need a doctor/enforcer for everything you do, but still need it for the large raids and are beneficial to have for smaller raids.

New content will always put a pressure on a few profs when they launch, simply because everyone wants to get their new stuff as fast as possible.
    Which is exactly what we're bitching about. The point is, we DONT want to be 100% reliant on: OMFG I need an ENF DOC (who cares about the rest of the DD nabs)

keepers and solds currently have enough HP and can setup to tank multiple adds. They just have no way of getting those adds to agg them. And that is what we need.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast