fast in her chest and mind reeling with every conceivable thought,
    from approval and praise to a long road trip in which she would not
    be returning. She could not falter, even the slightest bead of sweat
    would prove a weakness

A year and a half in the making, ever since that first day she spent with
    him she knew she needed a way out.
    It was either going to work or she would spend the rest of her life
    at his side, ridiculed for attempted manipulations and false
    proposals conceived to ruin the long standing merger.

Her calculations perfect, connections secured through time, effort
    and the proper amount of credits. Cunning planning, back room negotiations
    and dangerous acquisitions all part of the plan. Always watching her back,
    vividly aware of the fact, if she was found out he would kill her.
    It would be declared some sort of accident, one in which not even her
    father could provide protection.

Everything building to this day, her one chance to prove it
    will work, and she had some very powerful people to convince.
    The semi retired Senior Carpazzio propped up in his motorized chair,
    a fresh supply of oxygen at his side, watched. He was frail
    physically but it would only take one word from his lips to bring
    down the House. Father at the opposite chair of the table. She could
    not look at him. Behind his eyes he held anger and contempt for
    his daughters' actions this day. Every other chair filled with members
    of both families, finely dressed in expensive suits and waiting
    to hear of this lucrative proposal. Each with their own sense of
    grandeur. She knew, each critical placement and role was thought
    out well in advance. To even slight one of them would break the deal.

She took a moment, a deep relaxing breath and in opening her eyes steeled
    her composure. The next hour her words flowed eloquently, pointing
    out each persons' place in which their qualities and qualifications would
    be best served. Although many looked upon her with a sense of inadequacy
    she was a women after all in a man's world, they could not ignore
    the well conceived plan to make them money. It is all about money and
    they would all gain.

Senior Carpazzio with document in hand taped his fingers lightly on
    the table. It seemed like eternity that he remained silent. The quiet
    unbearable. Meeting her father's eyes she could only feel a cold chill
    penetrate her being.

Finally with a slight gesture of his hand to the door Carpazzio
    Senior beckons his son from behind it. As he stepped through the door
    his eyes settled on Dalyse. Seething with silent anger he glared at her
    before turning his attention to his father. He looked up at his son
    and with barely a few words reorganized his house and affairs. "Your
    cousin Paul will handle all financial dealings from this moment on.
    You will provide him support." He turned back to Dalyse and gave her
    a simple nod. That was enough.

As those at the table begin to stand Dalyse steps up, clears her throat
    and speaks. "And as for marriage" her eyes divert to her father for
    a brief moment. "it's off.. thank you very much. I will be leaving now"

She picks up her case and steps out of the room without another word.

((check back for updates.. more stories coming soon))
    Last edited by Dalyse; Apr 23rd, 2010 at 03:55:23. Reason: Adding date

((Now that was a very interesting, *TENSE*, mysterious little vignette into Dal's life...I really look forward to reading more of this! Great job!))
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

The Better Deal (Part 1)

((This is part of the story from the view of 'Junior' Carpazzio. A small flash back on what lead to story above. More history to follow. ))

Wednesday May 26th 29482:

It had been a month since their first night together as an official couple, and from the view of the outside world they were the new up and coming 'Power Couple'. He liked this, even if he didn't like her much, he liked the fact people were talking positively about him. Today was their first business meeting together. It was the kind of business people didn't talk about in public, a back end deal that was going to make him and his family some money.

The two men sat down and started to talk. He told them his idea as she sat there next to him silently, with perfect posture, eyes attentive and hands folded properly in her lap. They agreed on the details and were about to finish up, until she decided to speak up. She didn't like the deal, the idea was sound but everyone could make a lot more money if they made a few critical changes. He smiled while she talked, silently seething as he listened. There was nothing wrong with his deal! Critical changes? Who was she to be changing anything?

He looked over and the men nodded in approval, as she explained her idea. Soon enough both men were smiling. He wasn't even listening to what she was saying, he just sat there hiding his rage. The next thing he knew they were all standing up shaking hands. She must have had a good idea, he looked at the numbers they were going to make a lot more money, but it didn't matter, not in the least. She needed to learn her place!

The men had left and she started to pick up a few things. She look to him smiling and said, “Well I guess that worked out well, we're going to make....”

She couldn't even finish her sentence when the back of his hand came crashing on her face knocking her to the ground. She looked up at him holding her cheek and he spoke to her, “Don't you ever disrespect me like that again. The next time I'm making a deal you keep your mouth shut! I'm the boss you're just my helper. And that means you do what I say when I say it.” He moved his hand back as if he was going to smack her again. “You got it?” She cowered from him and nodded. “Now make yourself useful” he started to undo his pants. She gave him a cross look at first, until he moved his hand back like he was going to hit her again. “What?! One wasn't enough for you bitch? You need to learn to do as you are told.” She just nodded, and put her head down as she crawled toward him.

“Yeah it's going to be okay, she'll learn her place soon enough” he thought as he smiled to himself.
    Last edited by FoosballX; Apr 23rd, 2010 at 04:14:56.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

The First Night (part 1)

Thursday April 10th 29482

Crimson red, always the right choice, bold yet elegant. Not many would put so much thought into a shade of lipstick but to Dalyse it was a critical decision. In the world in which she lived image was just as important, if not more so than position in the ‘Family.’ Her thought was ‘Respect was not gained on the shirttails of others’ she worked hard at securing her place.

Gazing at herself in the mirror she viewed confidence, self respect and dedication reflecting back, she smiled and felt assured things would go well tonight. Taking in a deep breath she stood and reached for her coat.

“You look beautiful” her father whispered from the doorway and then stepped softly inside the room to help Dalyse with her jacket. “This is an important night for you, for all of us really, and I want you to know how proud I am to have such a devoted, loving and astonishing daughter.”

She smiled at his words, kissed him lightly on each cheek and took his waiting arm. There was nothing she wouldn’t do to please him. She admired the man, not only because he was her father, but for the power and respect he held over others. As he walked her to the car, they held each other’s gaze. He patted her hand with reassurance then helped her into the transport. “Everything will work out well for the two of you, enjoy your evening my dear.”
    Last edited by Dalyse; Apr 23rd, 2010 at 04:03:34. Reason: word change

He sat in the back of the nightclub, dressed in the finest clothes, like a bored little king with subjects blabbering around him. He nodded here and there as if he was paying attention as they talked to him. He gave them their respect, but it didn't matter nobody would question him if he didn't, he let them feel important.

He didn't need to pay attention he knew what they were all talking about. It had been on his mind since the arrangement was made. He knew all too well he had to follow through and respect his father's wishes, if he wanted to keep what he had. It was a good life, an easy life. He liked the power and the privileges that came along with his position. He knew this deal was going to bring him even more power, this much appealed to him. As good as everything seemed to be he was bothered, it all weighed heavy on his mind. It wasn't the idea of being thrown into an arranged marriage, it was who he was being asked to marry. He knew in the end it really didn't matter, if he played the game right things would work out well for him.

“It’s just the way you like it” he pointed to a chilled glass set on the console. “I figured you probably needed it”

Dalyse picks up the glass and takes a small sip before looking to the driver “Is it that obvious?” sighs and sits back against the cushioned seat.

“Well it is to be expected, you have to be just a little nervous” he laughs “I know, I know, you don’t have to say it, never let them see you sweat” He presses a few buttons to adjust the temperature lower. “Got you covered, just below freezing that should keep you on your toes” he smiles

Dalyse rolls her eyes then laughs “Regonald don’t make me come up there and thrash you.” curling her fingers in a fist. They both laugh then Dalyse sits back to take another deep drink from her glass. “I don’t know Reg, I never really imagined this. I always thought marriage would involve falling in love with the perfect man who would take me in their arms, profess their undying love then” laughing with a certain amount of mocking playfulness “Ravage me on satin sheets”

Regonald laughs, sits up straighter then speaks in a more serious tone “Ah my dear, if you wish, I could take this next turn, bypass the club and at sunset take you in my arms” He glances back, raises both eyebrows and smiles.

“If it were only that easy Regonald” she directs him with a wave of her fingers “Now turn around and drive.” She smiles then sits back with a sigh. “I am sure it will work out, he dresses well, he is powerful, and actually good looking.” she thought as a smile creeps up on her face. Still thinking “Besides my father likes him, we have that out the way” Nodding to herself in reassurance “It will all work out well”

He sat in the back of the nightclub thinking to himself as one by one his friends started to leave, all wishing him well. 'There's no turning back now', he thought to himself, 'She'll be here soon enough and then she'll be coming home with me.' He shook his head and let out a deep breath thinking, 'She's coming home with me, to my home,' he looked at the ceiling and starred for a long moment and again inhaled deeply to hide his growing anger.

For the past few weeks, ever since this arrangement was being planned he did nothing to give away how unhappy he was. No rolls of the sighs, no grunts of anger nothing. He just smiled when he was spoken to and nodded in agreement with his father and the others. It wasn't that hard to do. It was a solid deal, providing him with a lot more money and power. He just couldn't help but hate the idea of who he was being paired up with. He had known Dalyse for a few years, they got along well enough, but she was not the type of girl he would go for. He always felt she was too smart for her own good, and never knew when to keep her mouth shut.

He always sensed a certain smugness about her. It gave him the impression she thought she was better then everyone else, better then him. He didn't care how many degrees she had, or how young she was when she first finished college. He knew you didn't need college to run things in the business, at least not as far as he was concerned. She was like the rest of her family, all brainy types, always thinking they were too good to get their hands dirty. When their tricks didn't work they called in someone like him. He smiled for a moment thinking, “Soon enough I will be calling the shots.”

She would be a thorn in his side. He needed to deal with her, but how? That's what worried him most. One thing he was good at was learning someone’s weakness and using it against them. He knew in his line of work it wasn't always muscle that got the job done. He found great joy in breaking someone mentally; it left the kind of wounds that didn't heal so easy. The problem was how was he going to break her?

((Back and forth, back and forth....this is very cool guys; keep it up! ))
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

Her eyes diverted for a moment, silently watching as that turn passed them by. She nodded to herself truly feeling she was making the right choice, even though she wasn’t given much of one. Finishing off her drink she placed the glass in the console then sat back in her seat in quiet contemplation the rest of the drive to the club.

Ever since the Media sniffed out the story and announced the ‘Engagement’ her comm was never quiet. Friends from all over, even ones she had not spoken to in years contacted her. The tone was the same, although they voiced their happiness for her proclaiming all his qualities, his popularity, wealth, power, and of course good looks, they were jealous. He was practically the bachelor of the year and it was her taking him off the market block. One so called friend even described how good he was in bed. Although it brought a guarded smile to Dalyse’s face at the thought of his skills, she could only imagine that this person was lying about their encounter. It did make Dalyse smile though, assuming this arrangement would work out well. She would be the envy of every other women’s desires.

From their interactions in the past, she knew he was bit rough around the edges, but that worked well for him. He got away with that simple approach of finding the problem and dealing with it. ‘Her business sense, his approach, It would be a good working partnership’, she thought

As she stepped in the club, people swarmed around her. She was used to this. Many people knew and respected her father and family. This was her arena, her forte. She knew the power of a touch on the shoulder, simple nod or pleasant smile. She took time to listen and laugh with those of significance and moved through the room with a social grace. Her eyes searched for him as she filtered through the room. Involved in a more lengthy, and by her reaction, a more provocative discussion with a women, her eyes rolled, face flushed and she laughed lightly as the women motioned to point him out.

As their eyes met she noticed him waving her over to him. Obviously attempting to regain her composure, she takes a deep breath and smiles as she walked toward him. She needed to keep her guard up, it was their first official meeting as a couple. In the back of her mind though she hoped that soon she could let down her hair and be more herself around him.

He wasn't sure how long he was sitting there alone thinking about his problem, when he saw Dalyse enter the nightclub. He sat there in the back watching her move about, talking with different friends and looking around for him. He made no attempt to signal her, he wanted to watch her for a bit. Maybe he would notice something he could use, something he didn't notice before that he could use against her. There was something about her that worried him. She was too sure of herself. She seemed to have no weaknesses he could use, no weapons to break her to his will. He knew if the arrangement was going to work out well for him, he would need to find something.

He watched her every step, she moved through the crowd of people with an ease making her look as if she were the only one there. His eyes spied her reactions to people flocking around her. She smiled, laughed, and gave eye rolls here and there. Every reaction seemed so flawless as if she had rehearsed her actions so many times. She knew how to keep up appearances, he gave her that. He knew there was something behind the face she showed everyone, the trick was to find that clink in the armor she seemed to wear so well.

He had known Dalyse for some time through different business dealings, and some mutual friends. He never thought much about her, he just wrote her off as a pleasant snob. Then a few weeks ago it was decided he and her were to be married. It wasn't long after the deal was made he sent out his feelers trying to learn everything about her. Unlike many of her friends, there wasn't much he could find out. She kept her life very clean, no scandals, no skeletons he could use against her. Every piece of information that came back to him proved useless. He knew there had to be something but he was running out of time. He had no plans of sharing his new power with her, but if he didn't find something soon he would have no choice.

He knew he still had some time. Tonight she would move in with him and two years to the day they would be married. During that time they would make appearances and start handling business dealings together. He knew once things started really rolling it would be too late. It would be so much easier if she were a nobody, he could hurt her or have her killed. Her family was too powerful, she wasn't some simple shop keep late with his payment, as much as he hated to admit it she was his equal.

It wasn't long before she saw him. He waved to her and smiled when he noticed she was looking at him and moving closer. 'She's not the only one that knows how to keep up appearances' he thought to himself. He stood up as she reached the table he was sitting and motioned his hands to offer her a seat, greeting her with a bright smile. He sat down after her and smiled at her from across the table. There was silent moment of awkwardness. He looked at her with an understanding smile and broke the silence, “So I guess this is it?” he gave a boyish smile hiding his thoughts from her, “It will be okay.” He sat there for a moment and reached out for her hands and said, “Well at least I got set up with someone beautiful.”

As she reached the table she took his offered seat and smiled back at him. As they sat their in awkward silence she looked him over, thinking how well dressed he was, and seeing him, probably for the first time, as a very good looking, desirable man. As he broke the silence she was relieved, glad her thoughts did not wander too far from the here and now. She nodded in acceptance “Yes I suppose this is it. And I am sure it will all work out well.”

With his compliment she flushed just a bit and smiled. His hands were warm and comforting, inside she felt a brief moment of nervous energy but kept her hands from shaking, squeezing his gently in return. She knew how to effortlessly take a compliment and keep her demeanor “Thank you for such a compliment” smiling, she gently reached out to feel the material of his suit, rubbing her fingers over the fabric, in a subtle attempt to secure a positive connection “And I must say this suit looks good on you”

He shrugged off the compliment with a smile, thinking to himself 'Of course it does', and said, "Well you know how it is" he paused and took a drink before finishing his words, "People expect us to look good in public." He knew she would like that answer. He needed to make her feel at ease in hopes of her giving something away he could use against her. He knew right now it was all basic pleasantries. He needed to think of something to say to try and get inside and test her reactions. 'There has to be something', he thought to himself.

He took his hand off of her's and reached into his back pocket and pulled out a small box. He smiled at her innocently in almost a cute clumsy manner and said, "Well I guess I should give this to you now." He opened the box which held their engagement ring and slid it across the table to her. "I would get on one knee, but I don't really think that's all necessary, this is kind of awkward as it is." He took in a deep breath and smiled, "Besides it's not like there's anyone around to take our picture."

Smiling and with a light laugh to his words she nodded in agreement as she took the ring from the box and slid it on her finger “I suppose this does make things, officially official.” She held out her hand to gaze at the ring adorning her finger, a symbol of promise and commitment “It is very beautiful” she smiled at him. It was beautiful, how could it not be? It must have cost a small fortune. Nothing really to him but still she would be the envy of any women that set their eyes on it. Her eyes glanced around the club.

There were a few that smiled back at them in the knowledge of their official engagement, but no pictures or fanfare. It was to be a quiet ceremony of sorts, a night to get to know each other. She looked back at him and smiled “I suppose we have that to look forward to tomorrow.”

"Yeah tomorrow should be something", he smiled at her watching her admire the ring, "But we still have the rest of the night to look forward to" he winked at her as the words came out of his mouth. He looked her up and down thinking, 'Well at least she's not half bad looking, hopefully she wouldn't be that bad in bed', one of the very few things he learned about her from his snooping around was she was referred to as a 'cold fish'. Unlike some of her friends, whom a few he had been with on more then one occasion, Dalyse didn't seem to have any kind of 'dirty' stories floating around about her. He smiled at her knowing even if things weren't that great, he could still have his fair share of women. It wasn't out of line for men in his position to have a mistress or two.

The families had this lavish engagement party planned the next day. It wasn’t something she looked forward to. She didn’t like the idea of being paraded around and having the arrangement viewed as this great love affair. Although it was all necessary to keep up appearances, she would rather have it all happen quietly. She held to her belief it was all merely business. She knew how some in their circles were, and feared any scandal that would materialize.

She noticed his eyes gazing over her body, his words his wink and it caught her off guard. Shifting slightly in her chair she blushed, but smiled as her eyes shifted away from his. She glanced around the room a moment. She was consciously aware of her body language and those subtle reactions people see in others. She sat up straighter in her chair and finally looked back at him with a smile. Probably for the first time in her life she was at a loss for words and it took her a very long moment to scramble for some response. “Right, the party tomorrow”

He smiled at her noting her reaction. He wasn't sure, he thought he saw something for a brief moment, something in her he hadn't expected. He studied her a bit more, making sure to give her his warmest smile so she wouldn't pick up on his intentions. Whatever it was, it didn't last long she was back to her normal way of acting.

They talked for a while longer, nothing of any real importance just small talk about mutual friends and humorous stories about past business dealings. It was all pleasant enough. He had asked her a few loaded questions to see her reaction, with no real break through. Not like he saw earlier. He started to wonder if people were right about her, was she the prude people thought she was or was it what she wanted them to think. She commented again about how good he looked in his suit so he replied, "If you think I look good in this suit you should see me out of it" he winked at her again and ran his fingers along her hand.

She laughed at his comment but it had a different tone, a bit shaky, nervous maybe. As he touched her hand, for a moment she flinched but didn’t pull away. Her eyes darted around the room for reactions as if they could hear what she was thinking.

Of course she thought about sex with him. The topic was bound to come up eventually. This would be different though. It is not as if her love life would be the center of gossip at the beauty parlor. Some of the things she heard there would turn a priest’s ear. She had a reputation to keep and wanted to keep her personal life, just that, personal. She didn’t have to worry now about what people thought if they were sleeping together. They were going to be married and it was all perfectly acceptable. She liked that idea, looked down at their hands then looked up with an inviting, playful smile “Not that we should discuss such things here”

He looked at her giving her the brightest smile, he found it. She wasn't the prude people thought she was, he could see the slight hint of lust in her eyes as she made her comment. Unlike her friends who would run around with just about anyone, she made sure to keep her reputation clean even if it meant denying herself of life's pleasures. He squeezed her hand slightly rubbing his thumb across her fingers. He knew with their engagement now set, love or business, she was free to do with him what she wanted. And yet her comment showed him she still wanted to guard her reputation.

He was so worried he wouldn't find the hole in her armor, but in one brief moment she gave it all away. He looked at her with his best loving gaze and thought, 'So she's not such a perfect little good girl after all.' He knew tonight the game would begin, he had his weapon and he would use against as soon as they were alone. He would have her broken soon enough, things were starting to work in his favor.

He looked at his watch for a moment and then to her, "Well it is getting late. Maybe we should move things to a more private location." He looked at her with a boyish grin, " I mean I guess we should go to our new home" as the words were leaving his lips in his mind he thought, 'It's my home, everything there is mine and soon enough that will include you.'

They made their way out through the club, pausing here and there for goodnight gestures and well wishes from those still wandering about. As they stepped out she noticed Regonald waiting on them. They were not far from his place and it was a nice night so she let Regonald know they planned on walking. Regonald just nodded and watched as the pair walked off.

Dalyse smiled and took his arm, clinging to it and resting her head against his shoulder. It had been an enjoyable evening thus far and she felt more assured things would work out well. She gazed up at the sky, it was so clear and every star seemed to be beaming brightly. She smiled to herself ‘romantic night’ she thought, as if theirs was the typical relationship in which those things would matter. Never the less, she was getting more comfortable with him and it showed, lifting her head from time to time to gaze into his eyes and give him a soft smile.
    The walk was getting longer then expected and she started to wonder if she should have worn more sensible shoes. But she grinned and bared it as she was so accustomed in doing, and soon enough they arrived.

He felt her cling to his arm and it made him smile. He looked down at her and kissed her lightly on the top of her head. He knew she would mistake it for a romantic gesture, but he meant it as a thank you for making his plans so much easier. He felt so relived as they walked to his apartment. He looked at her playing the role of the loving mate and it took all he had not to laugh at her. 'She's not so smart' he thought to himself. He knew that was part of the reason she was picked for him, people thought she was smart and could help him run the business. It infuriated him that people would dare look down on him thinking he needed help running things. It didn't matter now, she would learn her place soon enough and he would have the power of both families behind him.

When they got to the apartment he smiled at her and kissed her on the cheek. It was hard for him to contain his excitement. He knew he was going to have fun breaking her will. The sexual aspect of it all appealed*to him but what really thrilled him was the idea of breaking someone that was equal in social level.

"Well we're here" he said to her as he opened the door, "Welcome home."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast