Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Friday with Means - January 8th, 2010 - Who took my stuff!

When it comes to hacking accounts or sharing accounts ... my personal favorite ... is what Blizzard have done to their battle.net system .. with the mobile phone activation keys. That is exeptionaly smart of them i have to say. It will prolly save them countless of support hours putting that ingame.

Maybe Colin that would be something for you to look into for AO?
    Florentino"Marlark" Suitt
    Master of the Universe of The Asylum

[Genesis] Marlark: First rule of Genesis, Blame canada for anything and everything with other words blame Rotender.
    [Tsunameh]: i just bought this acct on ebay and you're only friend on the friendslist. There's no creds, could i get some plx?
    [Genesis] Marlark: **** HAPPEN WHEN YOU PARTY NAKED!!!!!!
    [Nipntuck]: what org r u in

Originally Posted by "Thetweek" : yeah well its a big thing to do marlark is like god :> so hard to go against him hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Marlark View Post
    When it comes to hacking accounts or sharing accounts ... my personal favorite ... is what Blizzard have done to their battle.net system .. with the mobile phone activation keys. That is exeptionaly smart of them i have to say. It will prolly save them countless of support hours putting that ingame.

Maybe Colin that would be something for you to look into for AO?
    Yeah, but then they'd need an SMS server in every country of the world, or it would be too expensive for everyone. Blizzard can afford this since battle.net has millions of players. Funcom doesn't have that priviliege (afaik).

All I have to say is this...I keep my computer safe, I've never shared my account, I've never been hacked, No one has ever took my stuff. Coincidence? I think not.

Follow the rules, or pay the price. I don't think they should be wasting their time helping foolish people restore their compromised accounts.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Flipyap View Post
    Yeah, but then they'd need an SMS server in every country of the world, or it would be too expensive for everyone. Blizzard can afford this since battle.net has millions of players. Funcom doesn't have that priviliege (afaik).
    They dont. However they need to make the system optional thow prolly .. because not everyone have mobile phones that can talk over the internet. The tool is pritty simple realy .. for example if you have a iphone.. you download a small tool from the appstore and install it in the phone and it sync with the server for a activation code that change every 60 seconds i think it is.. you link the tool and the game account with a serial code that you add to the account. that way noone else can hijack the account.

Everytime you log ingame ... you enter your usual stuff and you get a additional window that request the temporary activation code from the mobile phone.

Basecly it raise the security of the account making borderline impossible for someone to steal your game account.
    Florentino"Marlark" Suitt
    Master of the Universe of The Asylum

[Genesis] Marlark: First rule of Genesis, Blame canada for anything and everything with other words blame Rotender.
    [Tsunameh]: i just bought this acct on ebay and you're only friend on the friendslist. There's no creds, could i get some plx?
    [Genesis] Marlark: **** HAPPEN WHEN YOU PARTY NAKED!!!!!!
    [Nipntuck]: what org r u in

Originally Posted by "Thetweek" : yeah well its a big thing to do marlark is like god :> so hard to go against him hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Good job no one is being attacked as a DIRECT RESULT of FC's negligence then.

Btw, with your old post, I stopped reading when you said something utterly stupid along the lines of "firewalls blocking incoming traffic breaks Windows auto updating".

Wow.
    One more end user who thinks they understand things. I think most blackhats love people like you. I bet you like to use cool places like "The Pirate bay" and think it is all hot and such using file sharing programs because you are safe behind the kick ass firewall you bought... yes who needs RPC after all. Totally useless service.

I like head in the sand people... really I do. Yes, so far Funcom has won the battle of no one gives a crap about AO. Though for all things more people need to have different passwords for Account and Game Log in.. to bad most people even after this will not know about that, let alone do it.

PS did you notice we got our butts modded? As did the other security thread in GS.. heads in the sand.. heads in the sand. It will keep us all safe and sound. Security through modding! For a safe and harmonious future.
    Last edited by meatybtz; Jan 12th, 2010 at 18:10:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    One more end user who thinks they understand things. I think most blackhats love people like you. I bet you like to use cool places like "The Pirate bay" and think it is all hot and such using file sharing programs because you are safe behind the kick ass firewall you bought... yes who needs RPC after all. Totally useless service.
    Wow... you really have no idea how far off you are on that one.

Further, he isn't wrong about a good firewall setup not breaking things like auto-updating in windows, I'll even elaborate as to why.

A commonly used (and effective) firewall setup follows a policy of deny all incoming unless established from an internal source, allow all outgoing, plus packet filtering.

Last I checked, windows auto-update did not require an external server to talk to it first, rather the client establishes the initial connection itself to the update server, then checking for/retrieving updates.

As for your snide comment regarding RPC, there is a *reason* why it is standard practice to block access to RPC from the internet (and on a lan, if applicable). Going even further, if RPC *did* need to be accessed in some manner over the internet (such as for an exchange server), safe practice dictates that there should be a middleman, such as an ISA server, between the server and the internet to filter RPC queries.

While RPC is a critical system service, it is not critical that the outside world should have access to it most of the time, particularly in the case of an end user.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    I like head in the sand people... really I do. Yes, so far Funcom has won the battle of no one gives a crap about AO. Though for all things more people need to have different passwords for Account and Game Log in.. to bad most people even after this will not know about that, let alone do it.

PS did you notice we got our butts modded? As did the other security thread in GS.. heads in the sand.. heads in the sand. It will keep us all safe and sound. Security through modding! For a safe and harmonious future.
    There is a distinct difference between voicing concern over security issues, and giving an almost step by step guide (which wasn't entirely accurate mind you) of how to take advantage of said flaws.

I would think that someone who works in IT would have the good sense not to speak of such things, not to mention how unprofessional it is to resort to base insults when someone voices disagreement over the accuracy of your statements. I would be appalled to have someone with such a holier-than-thou attitude working in an enterprise environment for me.
    Lusthorne - 220 Keeper | Isellthings - 220 Trader - PvP-Config
    Soupknotsie - 220 Doctor | Blabberus - 220 Crat
    and many more

Boost outdoor sk in Pen/Inf or adjust missions for mixed factions
    A different approach to GTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    If you felt that I was implying that you are an idiot, it's probably because you are in fact, an idiot.

So to summarise, folks shared accounts with numerous people, 1 went emo & emptied the other accounts & ruined the toons & then FC fixed up some IPR's & replaced the 'phats'....

That's certainly what i'm getting from the recent spam all across these boards on such 'hacking' incidents.

Nice to know FC is so kind as to fix up other peoples fuk-ups.
    *mod away, i'll not be surprised*
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

India developing Means to destroy satellites

With spiders and all, this is all starting to make sense now.
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranide View Post
    India developing Means to destroy satellites

With spiders and all, this is all starting to make sense now.
    Means is canadian... how can india be developing him?

let alone how is he going to destroy satellites.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

I blame the old man in the cave.
    Zirreall 220/24/68 MP
    Xirreall 220/11/70 Crat
    Sirreall 220/23/70 Advy
    Merijane 221/29/70 Doctor
    Azriellla 202/0/0 NT

People shallow, self-absorbed
    See the push and shove for their rewards
    I, me, my is on their minds
    You can read about it in their eyes

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    India only ranks behind China in population...it stands to reason they're pushing for OS nerfage to support their zerg guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Braves View Post
    and is not me :P

Not is what you?

Accidentaly I whole a reply.
    Last edited by tokrika; Jan 13th, 2010 at 12:43:05. Reason: Grammatical error.
    Tokrika - advisor of First Light

Ceterum censeo Omni-tek esse delendam

you
    bin mal wieder da und Schreibfehler dürft ihr immer noch behalten

Just would like to point out a post I made in tech help regarding account security:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=568329

Means mind poking the devs around a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post

let alone how is he going to destroy satellites.

its a waste of time. satellites can easily be taken down with a reinforced waterballoon launcher, using stone-filled snowballs as ammo. unless india is attempting to master this technique from us, they will be unsuccessful, or at the very least, less successful.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789