Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Friday with Means - January 1st, 2010 - Explosive devices

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    I was thinking a relaunch concept would have to be cooked up. I say AO2.0, but however it gets out is fine.
    I was thinking 1.5 myself since its not a complete 2.0 but close enough.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    But could get him in trouble with law.... and we need him back in office!

As long as he stays away from the sea (allthough hard considering where he lives), lawenforcement tends to look the other way between 2300 and 0100 new years eve. Xplsifs fer every1!
    Tokrika - advisor of First Light

Ceterum censeo Omni-tek esse delendam

Quote Originally Posted by Igri00 View Post
    That is funny. Same thing happened in a paint ball game we were in. We were fighting our way to the state championship in 1991. We were on a field in Ocala, where we only played once or twice a year, so we didn't know the field very well. The whistle blew and our team started running as fast as we could to the mid point between the flags. We were in the middle of a clearing running at full speed when the other team topped a hill at the end of the clearing. Apparently, they were shocked we'd made it so far across the field because when they topped the hill they just sort of stopped and looked confused, instead of cutting us down while we were in the open. That gave us a chance to break for the tree line. Unfortunately in the confusion, our whole team ended up in a clump of trees, sort of like an island in the middle of a field.

Basically, we were screwed, they could pin us down there and win the game on kills alone. We all sort of looked at each other for a moment, you could see it in everyone's faces, we were done for. Then I had a bright idea. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a smoke grenade and shouted, "Smoke'em'.

Using the smoke as cover, we started across the clearing toward the hill the enemy was hiding behind. Unfortunately, it was too far to toss grenades the whole distance. Most grenades were falling about half way. That was fine, we moved up to the smoke line, found the grenades, picked them up and tossed them again.

This is where the problems started. The grenades poured out a large amount of white smoke and when you stood over the grenade, you really couldn't see it. We found that waving our hand quickly over the grenade cleared enough smoke to see its orientation. The grenades shoot a VERY hot stream of smoke and flame out the top and the bottom. If we could see the orientation and were very careful, we could pick up the flaming grenades with two fingers and retoss them. Using this technique we moved across the field up to the small hill.

Of course, the enemy was watching (and shooting) and one of them stood up and grabbed a grenade and attempted to toss it back at us. Unfortunately, he wasn't watching close enough and grabbed the grenade by the bottom, expecting the flame was shooting out of the top alone. He let out this horrid scream and dropped the grenade and ran off the field for medical aid.

He was the first of two I saw go down by grenades alone. I was shot crossing the field and as I was walking out of the smoke an enemy was standing next to a tree trying to see my team mates when a smoke grenade flew out of the smoke and hit him right in the groin. He screamed, then said "I'm hit", only to realize when he looked down that it had been a smoke grenade that took him out, not a paint ball.

In the end, we won that game. The next year, they banned using smoke...
    Damn that is a better paintballwarstory than my best one where I took out half the opposing force from beind with a jammed gun.

Our rules ban point blank shots (due to risk of injury). I am in a hole (litterally) that I can stand up in and barely peak over the edge. The game starts enemy force advances. My team mates are cut down. My gun jams.. I duck down to clear the jam, but it is hopeless. So I sit there quite as I can trying to unjam the gun and the entire force walks by the hole right above me and never looks down. I am also wearing full forest appropriate camo and face paint and hand paint so to be fair.. I did blend in rather well. They are so fixated forward I get this idea. I climb out quietly and sneak up behind the rear most guy. Cover his mouth and put my gun in his back. I whisper.. "bang! your dead! Now be a quiet dead guy and go back to your spawn point." My own side is firing balls in my direction and I move about and repeat the same proccedure with each lone individual I can find. I get to bold and take out the last guy too close to his team mates who look back to say something and wtf gank me with about 15 balls. Still was worth it as hell. The lunch break my 'technique' brought about peals of laughter when they realised I killed them all with a jammed gun. The other team even loaned me a gun so that I could participate in the next round since mine needed a full dissasembly and throughough cleaning that I didnt have the tools on me to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Gtz on this funcom:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...e-of-2009.html

Hope you can win this in 2010 for Anarchy

Quote Originally Posted by angryturtle View Post
    Gtz on this funcom:

Yes Grats!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    So I sit there quite as I can trying to unjam the gun and the entire force walks by the hole right above me and never looks down. I am also wearing full forest appropriate camo and face paint and hand paint so to be fair.. I did blend in rather well. They are so fixated forward I get this idea. I climb out quietly and sneak up behind the rear most guy. Cover his mouth and put my gun in his back. I whisper.. "bang! your dead! Now be a quiet dead guy and go back to your spawn point."
    Reminds me of the LARP where we actually buried about 5 NPCs under twigs and pine needles, then erased all signs that we had moved anything in the area. The PCs came walking down the trail expecting an ambush over the next ridge, and the leader decided to scout ahead without knowing his group was already completely surrounded. Two NPCs popped up on either side of the leader, and the fighters ran forward to assist him before they even thought about looking around for the other three NPCs who were ganking the casters at the same time.

Reminds me of this story...

Happy new year all! Looking forward to the new engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by angryturtle View Post
    Gtz on this funcom:

Yeah nice, grats to FC!

AO for 2010?... with the team at the helm atm, I wouldn't rule it out

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    I was thinking 1.5 myself since its not a complete 2.0 but close enough.
    Maybe if it included, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Slights View Post
    Personally I'd love to have a nice boxed copy of AO, containing stuff like an AO memory stick (that I can put on my keyring) with a copy of 19.0 on it + some other commerative stuff, like a A3 or A2 poster of a map of RK and/or SL that I could put on the wall... oooor, I dunno... a signed picture of means + a cult of means t-shirt to put in my little shrine, y'know, stuff like that?

We all go crazy for one off social phatz
    Aaaand, this:
    • A revamp of tower pvp (not just balancing), more strategy, less /assist
    • Some new BS maps
    • New gui
    • New launcher
    • Revamp of the token grind... (maybe cross breed the travesty of game play that is LE missions with RK missions, to represent aliumz spread across rk?)
    • Plus some juicy xan, alien story advancement, with new ways to get your phatz

I'd pre-order 2x that at £25 in a heartbeat!
    Troxxor - Atrox Enforcer - My Ganker [Target]
    Slights - Solitus Enforcer - My Tanker [Target]

Loyal General of Ascension
    www.clan-ascension.org
    Rimor | Clan
    Significant Alts: SlightChange | Bokken | Takken

Thumbs up

Happy new year all!

And bump for that's :

Personally I'd love to have a nice boxed copy of AO, containing stuff like an AO memory stick (that I can put on my keyring) with a copy of 19.0 on it + some other commerative stuff, like a A3 or A2 poster of a map of RK and/or SL that I could put on the wall... oooor, I dunno... a signed picture of means + a cult of means t-shirt to put in my little shrine, y'know, stuff like that?

The other team even loaned me a gun so that I could participate in the next round since mine needed a full dissasembly and throughough cleaning that I didnt have the tools on me to do.
    That is a funny story. Just love those old paintballwar stories.

Here is another one... victory out of defeat. 1992 same place, Ocala, Florida. We are playing in a 15 man team, trying to get back to the state championship. Our team was broken into three squads of 5. Our command squad, A team squad (best shooters) and noobs. Noobs where sent to guard a hill on the right of the field, one of them was guarding the flag. The remaining 10 (our best and brightest) were sent to attack. Game starts, we run up the left of the field to contact the other team's 15 men. Shooting starts, in about 30 seconds, 9 of the people in front of me were walking off the field! I was covering the rear as we moved forward and felt if they could kill the nine guys in front of me that fast, I'd better just run.

I ran back to the four noobs on the hill and sat down for a second. One ask, "Where is the Captain and the rest of the team?" I said, "Dead already!". (This is like 2 minutes into a 45 minute game). The squad leader looks at me and says, "So we lost?" I said, "No, I think we can still win." It wasn't being funny either. I had very good field awareness and by my count, all 15 players on the other team were either moving up the hill we were guarding or around our flag, leaving the rest of the field totally open. I told one of them to stay with me at the top of the hill to delay the advance of the guys attacking up the hill. I sent the squad leader and one of the guys off to get the enemy flag. I told them to run full speed, grab the flag and run back. I told them not to worry, they were completely alone on the field as all the enemy was either right in front of us on the hill or around our flag.

I told the young lady I had seen three guys in a ditch attacking our flag at the fence line, if she went "That way" she would end up behind them. Three easy kills. I told the runners we would keep the two groups apart as long as possible, they should get the flag, come up the fence line, meet with the young lady and hang the enemy flag.

I spent the next 30 minutes running around pretending I was a bunch of players keeping the enemy moving very slowly. I didn't actually see any of them, but they were close enough that I could hear them trying to figure out how many people they were facing and wondering why they wouldn't come out and and just let them win the game.

Finally, I was shot. I walked out, I saw two of their guys standing at their cars and 10 of our guys. Our team captain seeing me, the last 'good' player we had on the field walking off said, 'Crap, so we lost?"... I said, "No, we won! The noobs kicked their butts."

The whole plan took about 30 minutes, but when I was finally tagged, I had delayed the two groups from joining up long enough for our flag team to get back with the flag. They never saw anyone on the other team until they ran past them and hung the flag. The young lady had found three guys in the ditch, shot them all and held the position for our flag runnings to get back via that route.

Ok, back to AO...

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Reminds me of the LARP where we actually buried about 5 NPCs under twigs and pine needles, then erased all signs that we had moved anything in the area. The PCs came walking down the trail expecting an ambush over the next ridge, and the leader decided to scout ahead without knowing his group was already completely surrounded. Two NPCs popped up on either side of the leader, and the fighters ran forward to assist him before they even thought about looking around for the other three NPCs who were ganking the casters at the same time.
    Oh I have a ton more Paintball stories. Our local leauge was managed by a retired Special Forces Medic with Nam under his belt. He was a chiropracter, but on weekened he turned sadistic and setup this crazy millitary enguagements.

He found an old concrete structure on public land along the coast so he cooked up this competition scenario:
    Night Fight: No Light Amp Gear allowed. Radios OK. Beach Landing Assault, Stealth.
    Force 1: Landing. Zodiacs w/o motors (yes we had to ROW from one cove over, at night through pacific swells and land a zodiac Navy Seal Style.. it helps that alot of us were ex-millitary on my team).
    Force2efenders. Plenty of Lights and floods. Tripwire Flair Traps allowed. Snare Traps Allowed. Noise Traps Allowed.
    Force3: ( the Crazy Docs team of ex-millitary spec ops dudes.. seriously) Outside observer/interferance. Kills both sides.

Victory Conditions: Assault Force taking Flag from Bunker and holding bunker for 1 hour. Defenders holding bunker against assault force for 2 hours and or recapturing it before the 1 hour timer runs down. Force 3 does not have a victory condition.

My team consisted of Ex-Mil and our Sniper (yes sniper) used a slingshot and a full gilla suit (and he knew how to use it well). When out of town teams came to compete against us and I heard the shouts of SNIPER.. always gave me a warm feeling. Our sniper was a smoke jumper so he was a nutter anyways.

One scenario the Doc never got to play out because he couldnt get enough liabillity backing was a 3 day Urban War fight (yes 24 hours a day the game was going to be "active") in a huge abandoned industrial complex right next to the local power plant. His plan also called for about 200 participants. God that would have been sick.

I've got tons of stories. Like running out of ammo against another team and holding them off, yes we lost, for more than an hour by saving my last few balls and firing blanks to make them keep their heads down and firing balls only when they would come out of cover thinking I was out. Fun stuff really.
    Last edited by meatybtz; Jan 6th, 2010 at 21:46:59.
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

I played a 24 hour game once. The night part was hell. Couldn't see anything, so all of the shots were point blank. One of the guys had build a water balloon cannon that was about 5 feet long and could really toss paint filled water balloons. Some poor guy came into our camp and got blasted by that thing at point blank range. Couldn't actually see what happed, but it went "Foooommppp" a couple of feet away the balloon exploded on the guy, knocked the wind out of him and he crawled off in the dark trying to breath.

Force 1: Landing. Zodiacs w/o motors (yes we had to ROW from one cove over, at night through pacific swells and land a zodiac Navy Seal Style.. it helps that alot of us were ex-millitary on my eam).
    We did get to do daytime landings with a WWII landing craft in the St. Johns river. Learned two things:

1. When the ramp goes down, don't be the first guy to step off the ramp.
    2. When the police boats show up. Put the paintguns down before they catch up to your landing craft. Because they will point real guns back at you! (We actually had a permit to use a landing craft in the river and to land on the island in the middle of the river. Personally, I didn't even know there was a permit for that!)

This reminds me of one time when I was running around in a ghillie suit and facepaint - long story short I killed a man using a macdonalds paper cup because I wanted to know what it felt like.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrika View Post
    I wanted to know what it felt like.
    The paper cup or the gillie suit?
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

creepy people...

creepy people...
    Why would anyone want to know what creepy people felt like?

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    The paper cup or the gillie suit?
    yes

Back on topic...

/this.

I would pre-order x2 also.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

More paintball stories plx, that stuff was a good read..

PS: I'll upload your spider back tomorrow Means. I trust this is not a problem.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123