Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - December 18th, 2009 - Busy day and Leet infestation

Quote Originally Posted by DaviasI View Post
    I can't recall the number of times I've had casual conversations about players and I've said "do you see 'X'" and they can't because they've turned off 90% of everything to get the game to a playable frame rate. And I shake my head sadly because I realize just how much of the immersiveness they are missing in the current engine...my goodness that means they will miss 99.99% of the game in the new engine...what are they looking at stick figures and stats?
    Yea, I found that in another space based game I played for a while. All of the real experienced players had their settings turned down so far that none of the cool looking stuff was being displayed. I thought to myself that it was such a waste to play a game that looks so go, in a mode that it might as well be pong.

I can't recall the number of times I've had casual conversations about players and I've said "do you see 'X'" and they can't because they've turned off 90% of everything to get the game to a playable frame rate. And I shake my head sadly because I realize just how much of the immersiveness they are missing in the current engine...my goodness that means they will miss 99.99% of the game in the new engine...what are they looking at stick figures and stats?
    Like this? :P Sometimes it's not always for the framerate tho, it's also for visibility/playability. What effects really increase the immersion in the current engine? Can't find any.
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Like this? :P Sometimes it's not always for the framerate tho, it's also for visibility/playability. What effects really increase the immersion in the current engine? Can't find any.
    From those pics I'd actually prefer #4 or #6 and turn it down manually if it was #0 or #2 especially in an FPS - too much pixel detail makes it harder to spot players at distance. If it's a single player game though, I'd be happy to max everything for the immersion.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Yeah #6 is pretty common solution for online shooters. All you really need is to see opponents and see enviroment good enough not to bump into walls. The rest is a distraction, especially when being distracted for fracture of second will cost you your life.

In AO it doesn't really matter much though because fights either take +15 minutes or are decided in 95% through rock paper scissors mechanics and equipment differencies, so you are free to use maximum pf visual effects

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Ahh, good old .. hmm wasnt it called mipcap?

Wish I had more screenies from QuakeWorld

Edit:
    Code:
    +mlook
    joystick 0
    alias drawon "r_draworder 1 ; bind / drawoff"
    alias drawoff "r_draworder 0 ; bind / drawon"
    bind "/" "drawon"
    hostname Le-Burch
    cl_rollangle 9
    scr_conspeed 7777
    r_waterwarp 0
    alias rocketjump "impulse 7; cl_pitchspeed 5000; +lookdown; +jump; +attack; wait; -jump; -attack; -lookdown; cl_pitchspeed 150;force_centerview"
    bind "*" "rocketjump"
    gl_polyblend 0
    d_mipcap 3
    setinfo topcolor -1
    setinfo bottomcolor -1
    noskins 0
    exec 77
    exec i.cfg
    sensitivity 25
    r_waterwarp 0
    fov 130
    Oh and fov! haha, good times
    Last edited by wormx; Dec 19th, 2009 at 16:47:15.
    Stars "Wormx" Monkey 220/30/70 3rd opi fix on RK1, 7th on all dimensions to hit AI30 Thanks for all the raids : )
    DanceMeTo "Summerglow" TheEndOfLove 220/27/67 Opi Fixer. Yes, I like fixers.
    LifeIs "Winterglow" NoCabaret 150/14/42 Opi Fixer. Waiting for more hits with the nerfbat.
    Doctor "Wormx6" Panda 220/20/55 Atrox doctor, dinged 220 off Thrak key quest : )
    Mr "Ceilingcat" Monkey 220/23/52 Soli MP, hiding in the ceiling, watching...
    Too many other alts to list here...

Im gonna do somewhat of a strange suggestion here Means, but about the mentioning of a date for Engine to go live.... Dont give any date. Make it work and make it work propperly. Once its ready give a few days notice maybe but otherwise just insert the Engine and have ppl pleasantly surpriced.

If it fails when u do set a date that will be the so maniest time. Some ppl wont take that and jump ship. Others will probably stop trusting at all.

Just dont let urself get pressured by the community and do it in ur own time. The less time mentions we get the less speculations and hopes we develop as a community. Crushing hope is what has made alot of players that arent playing anymore, quit.

Pictures of the proggresion are good tho since that shows that work is being put in. But a solid date gives u stress and gives us demands when the clock strikes that date.
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

plz plz plz, set AO's minimum recommended specs slightly higher than AoC so that in 8 years we don't have peope impeding the 3rd engine redesign because they refuse to overspend more than the bare minimum amount on a pre-built computer as opposed to buying a parts machine with 3x the performance. And more importantly when the scrooges actually part the the cash to upgrad they actually have an enjoyable experience as oppossed to the bare minimum experience to which they are used to?
    If I have to use the desktop computer instead of my laptop for AO then there will be three accounts less paying for this game. I know there are also others that are playing AO because it runs on crappier computers.

I use to run AO on an old sempron I couldnt ever figure out how people were seeing that I was turreting and attack me to stop it, then when I upgraded my system I could see that there was a turret animation.

Biggest problem with the effects in AO right is that on systems that can run them all very well they are all blown out of scale. Casting a heal on my system currently just blinds me as 80% of my screen is some huge white/red heal effect.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    I use to run AO on an old sempron I couldnt ever figure out how people were seeing that I was turreting and attack me to stop it, then when I upgraded my system I could see that there was a turret animation.

Biggest problem with the effects in AO right is that on systems that can run them all very well they are all blown out of scale. Casting a heal on my system currently just blinds me as 80% of my screen is some huge white/red heal effect.
    run a higher resolution yea n00b.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by wormx View Post
    Ahh, good old .. hmm wasnt it called mipcap?

Wish I had more screenies from QuakeWorld
    Oh man, I remember Quake 1 pre-QW, teh lag (affected aiming too, and 200ms was good) and mipcapping that was necessary to get it playable. Even then Death32c was super slow with any number of players, though that came later. And the noobs with white skins forced on all players...

alias rocketjump "impulse 7; cl_pitchspeed 5000; +lookdown; +jump; +attack; wait; -jump; -attack; -lookdown; cl_pitchspeed 150;force_centerview"
    bind "*" "rocketjump"
    n00b I actually miss the time when FPS weapon swaps were instant, I had a funky setup with the axe out only swapping for the appropriate weapon upon the pressing of the appropriate firing key. I miss the "omg hax rocket axe" comments.

Code:
    fov 130
    Oh and fov! haha, good times
    Oh yeah, nothing like the immersion of having the vision of a dopefish. Remember wallhugging to get more run speed?
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

It is not the policy of my team to delete the characters of people who will be out of prison soon. (Please don't hurt us!)
    A classic that I'm just not sure what to do with yet...

However, you talked about a character wipe Means, what level and below are we talking about? Level 5 & under? Level 10 & under?
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

What is interisting but not mentioned in the FwM is that the merge will start in january.

Means talked to some people on RK3 yesterday and he told them that we will be able to play our chars on RK1 (for example) within the the next 30 days.

Don't know why he didn't wrote that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post

Character Transfer

The code used to generate in-game ID's for items etc exploded this week generating 500000 bogus ID's during testing. Cleaning up this mess took a great deal of time. Macrosun quit a record 103 times this week. It was not fun as it was not even remotely his fault or his code that made the mess. Work will continue on this initiative when and if he returns from vacation in January. Getting this to work properly requires work from the biling team, the database team and Macrosun himself. Blowing things up when any of these guys are away on a well deserved break would be a disaster...so January is what we are looking at...assuming again that Macrosun comes back. Hail Macrosun...pleeeze don't leave us.
    It's there where he mentions the January window, but only if they can sort the explosion of ID's.
    Talita

̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.

Yes but in his post in sounds not very certain opposed th the tells on RK3 where it seemes to be 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Cholis View Post
    Yes but in his post in sounds not very certain opposed th the tells on RK3 where it seemes to be 100%.
    He was most likely telling them for sure since they got the system in place just before he talked ot them, then after he did they had the ID problem. Macro is a very smart person, I'm sure he will come up with an answer and 500 or more quits before the next of next month.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

thanx for keeping us aware. wtb some pix/viddiz soon

merry xmass to all !
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Oh man, I remember Quake 1 pre-QW, teh lag (affected aiming too, and 200ms was good) and mipcapping that was necessary to get it playable. Even then Death32c was super slow with any number of players, though that came later. And the noobs with white skins forced on all players...
    200ms was good indeed hehe... 14400 baud modem sucked.
    I found it more irritating with those camper skins people made.
    Cookie monster was my skin of choice
    n00b I actually miss the time when FPS weapon swaps were instant, I had a funky setup with the axe out only swapping for the appropriate weapon upon the pressing of the appropriate firing key. I miss the "omg hax rocket axe" comments.
    That rocketjump macro was only usable when playing against bots tho.
    Online you had to use more skills
    Rocket axe sounds fun
    Oh yeah, nothing like the immersion of having the vision of a dopefish. Remember wallhugging to get more run speed?
    Dopefish!
    Hmm must have missed wallhugging or just can't remember that.

Some nostalgia :
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1601/5uake06.gif
    http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8840/quake02.gif
    http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/9086/rb00023.gif
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6254/uake03.jpg
    http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4681/warb002.gif

Btw, I wish we had grappling hooks in AO.
    That's why I liked the ninja rope in Worms World Party so much
    Stars "Wormx" Monkey 220/30/70 3rd opi fix on RK1, 7th on all dimensions to hit AI30 Thanks for all the raids : )
    DanceMeTo "Summerglow" TheEndOfLove 220/27/67 Opi Fixer. Yes, I like fixers.
    LifeIs "Winterglow" NoCabaret 150/14/42 Opi Fixer. Waiting for more hits with the nerfbat.
    Doctor "Wormx6" Panda 220/20/55 Atrox doctor, dinged 220 off Thrak key quest : )
    Mr "Ceilingcat" Monkey 220/23/52 Soli MP, hiding in the ceiling, watching...
    Too many other alts to list here...

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post

Characters are "naked". Meshes (like shoulderpads) and weapons are displayed but the textures on the character are not "swapped" to display the correct armor. This is a feature missing from the new engine and we are waiting on work from the Montreal office for this feature to come it. This is not complicated but has been delayed by the expert in our Canadian office somehow breaking his leg horribly while actually IN the Canadian office...I don't know how he did it...but I am sure he was "compiling" at the time. He is back on one leg now and this work should be coming along soon.
    Here's a pic, so it obviously did happen.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Here's a pic, so it obviously did happen.
    Haha...that is EXACTLY the image I was thinking about when I heard the news. The internet is a small world :P
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Since this has diverted into a nostalgy thread, in before someone metions Turbo buttons on PCs.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast