Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - March 19th, 2010: Every Day I'm Hustlin'

Funcom employee Friday with(out) Means - March 19th, 2010: Every Day I'm Hustlin'

Hi!

><

So today was supposed to be one of those days where I got stuff done. I had a plan. I had a mission. I had Stuff to Do™.

Then Means rings me up this morning to let me know that he's gonna be out today.

Anyhoo, here we are. Another Friday with(out) Means. I love doing these, honestly, but he always seems to be conveniently ill when there's not much to actually write about. Not that this matters, as I can blab on about pretty much anything under the sun, but still - It'd be cool to do this when there's some major stuff to show off or announce. Even without anything huge this week, though, we've still got a wee bit of content for you guys.

First off and foremost, it looks like the name cleanup has gone off pretty smoothly - Over 780,000 names were removed from the servers yesterday, giving people plenty of new nicks they can pick and choose from. It was actually really amusing watching some of the new nicknames rolling in on n00b island yesterday - Always good to see folks out and about regardless.

Work on the Daily Missions is slowly starting to come to a close, and we're hoping we can have them out for the live servers Very Soon™. There's a lot of really interesting, fun, cool content coming in with the daily missions that I think you guys are going to enjoy - We've really tried to think outside the box with some of the missions, and hopefully you'll be happy with the end results. One of the cool things about the daily missions system, too, is that it's a very modular design, meaning we'll be able to easily add in new missions for the system in the future, keeping variety up and hopefully ensuring that nothing gets too stale. Doing these missions has also given us a good chance to go in and tweak/fix a bunch of various little things that annoyed the crap outta us (like some floating rocks, weirdly-dressed NPCs, ect. ect.) so there's been much, much more done than just the actual mission implementation itself. In a way it's given us a chance to do a little bit of tweak 'n polish to oldskool Rubi-Ka, which is always nice.

Meanwhile, the Collector instance has received some additional fun over the last few weeks, with Means putting in some hard work on the encounters leading up to the main boss area. The Collector instance is designed from the ground up to be very, very different from all other content in the game, and I really think it's coming together. The initial feedback we've gotten from people on Testlive has been exceedingly positive, and I'm seriously looking forward to watching people mess around in there. Let's just say we've got a few nifty tricks up our sleeves with this one. Was actually hoping I could show some more screenshots from there today, but Means forgot and left the playfield open on his computer yesterday, which unfortunately means no one else can get into it at the moment. Hooray for the AO tools. ><

Engine work continues to come along quite nicely - Unfortunately I don't have anything to show there *either* (holy crap worst fw(o)m evar), but I can say that it's looking pretty good over at Parsed's desk at the moment. We're also going to be shipping out Flaptoot in the next few weeks and sending him over to our Beijing office where he'll be overseeing and helping with the new head model production - Macrosun tried to convince the top brass that we should all be sent over with him, but no dice. . We got the new Atrox head you guys saw a few weeks back into the new engine earlier this week and... holy crap. It's so cool seeing stuff like this come together, particularly as an old AO fanboy myself - Watching the new shinies come together and breathe new life into the old familiarity of AO is really something spectacular.

I'm trying to think if there's anything else I really should write about... feel kinda bad, as this isn't really my usual wall 'o text. 'course, I'm sure that'll make Waldgeist (our German community manager) a bit happier, as he usually threatens resignation/suicide when he gets word that I'm writing a Friday with(out) Means. What can I say? I like typing. Just... when I have something to type about. Or show. Or something. Ah well - I guess they can't all be barnstormers.

With that said, I am about to go get very, very inebriated. Today just so happens to be MstrBstrd's birthday, and we are going to go celebrate in serious style. And by "style" I mean "with lots and lots of booze". Hope everyone's weekend is awesome, and with any luck Means will be back to entertain you guys next Friday.

Later!

Edit!: Looks like the fates have smiled on me! I wrote this up earlier today, but since then not only did we manage to get into the Collector playfield for a few new screenshots (thank you, Means), we've also got a peek at the new Atrox head inside the new engine. Bear in mind this is just the new head, with nothing altered to the body at all. Enjoy!
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

omigawd! no means!?

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

second

that atrox head looks great in game, also the shadows look a lot better
    Last edited by Moyahno; Mar 19th, 2010 at 17:36:47.

Holy crap, Third! *disco*

I'm digging the look of The Collector instance...should be interesting.

some number that isnt 1st!

Looks like it was 4th, but the more I think about it I have absolutely nothing to say. The Head looks good, needs some tweeking but looks good. The new PF looks nice too. AND you, YOU LOOK NICE TOO! ok you dont really but still.
    Last edited by Technogen; Mar 19th, 2010 at 17:54:28.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

whats this?
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Woah that atrox head looks awesome ingame
    Nice one.

Bit odd without a new body to match of course but the head itself looks cool.

Poor Waldgeist
    Veteran of Equilibrium

THanks for pointing out whats new and whats old!

Love the screenies and interested in the collector instance.
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

The new Atrox seems more intelligent. Or maybe it is my screen?
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

Funcom employee

Not third!
    Yey! Funsies!

first page <3

Eyes still need work on the new head - old eyes look better. Skin tones are much improved, though.

First page! 12th! looks nice so far, looks like its in pande.
    Last edited by Jandorith; Mar 19th, 2010 at 17:44:00. Reason: doh

The collector instance surely does look like an empty version of pande.
    ಠ_ಠ

oh wow, i made it to first page...
    Based God.

Thanks for the FwoM...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Woah that atrox head looks awesome ingame
    Nice one.

Bit odd without a new body to match of course but the head itself looks cool.

Poor Waldgeist
    This time it was actually quite short for a Friday with "Kintaii of a thousand words".

happy Bday MstrBstrd !!!!

that collectors instance smells pandemonum like :O
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

The old atrox has a certain sadness to his eyes. Perhaps a memory of the mines lurks within? The new eyes have this glimmer of mirth and leaves one with the impression that the atrox just farted at a tea party.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast