Thread: Problem with DD perks in a dynamic skill/weapon system

Problem with DD perks in a dynamic skill/weapon system

Hey all,

This just came to my mind.

as most perks is doing static damage(yeah some scale with some skills) they are not getting the benefit of new weapons we have getting other the years.

This problem is the core problem for the most perk using professions in game, shade and keeper's.

So A possible solution to this problem would be to make perks damage depend on the damage on the weapon. this would also open up for more perks at lower lvls as they are underpowered/unbalance at lower level.

so lets say that the damage on a perk is:
    weapon damage template x perk multiplier + X damage

That would nerf perks though when using weapons such as chalice, grail or remodulator though.

However... If one was to include some kind of "perk damage modifier" to weapons, that should promote diversity, right? Just sounds like a real mammoth task at this point though.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

so people that do more damage with their weapon will get a boost in damage on perks ?

doesn't sound like a "balancing" action to me ...
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    as most perks is doing static damage(yeah some scale with some skills) they are not getting the benefit of new weapons we have getting other the years.
    Actually most perks scale with weapon skill. There are a few exceptions, like the champion of xxx perks, but all of keepers/shades sl perks scales afaik...

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    That would nerf perks though when using weapons such as chalice, grail or remodulator though.

However... If one was to include some kind of "perk damage modifier" to weapons, that should promote diversity, right? Just sounds like a real mammoth task at this point though.
    it's true that some things needed to be looked at, I just simplified the idea
    I did not want to write a giant wall of text

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    so people that do more damage with their weapon will get a boost in damage on perks ?

doesn't sound like a "balancing" action to me ...
    lets see... soldiers get a new gun, wow they get a great boost to there damage.. woho I get a boost to 80% of my damage.

keeper get a new sword... wow.... DOH I only get a small add to 5% of my total damage.... as the rest come from perks. damn they are not touched...

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    Actually most perks scale with weapon skill. There are a few exceptions, like the champion of xxx perks, but all of keepers/shades sl perks scales afaik...
    ready my post again new weapons dont come with ++ weapon skill. so the damage template on perks are not touched.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    ready my post again new weapons dont come with ++ weapon skill. so the damage template on perks are not touched.
    I did read it. You wrote that most perks damage are static, which is... wrong. But I'll admit perk damage improvements is lagging behind weapon damage improvements by a good bit...

I'm not sure if this is the way to go though. Could create some unpredictable and unbalanced results, especially at lower levels. Adjusting the perk templates seems like a better way to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    I did read it. You wrote that most perks damage are static, which is... wrong. But I'll admit perk damage improvements is lagging behind weapon damage improvements by a good bit...

I'm not sure if this is the way to go though. Could create some unpredictable and unbalanced results, especially at lower levels. Adjusting the perk templates seems like a better way to do it...
    most perks is static, some scale by skill.

perk damage have not had any improvement since they were introduced.

yeah lately some have changed, but that have been under this balance act.

but we know that perks aint changed like new weapons are introduced. so just changing the perk template once, but work.

about the unpredictable and unbalanced result, well it only need to be throught out well.

like min+max/(attack speed+recharge)+perk multiply(defined from weapon skill)+ static perk damage if any

I do not know of any profession besides Martial Artists that can even reach 3000 weapon skill, most are at least 500 below that mark. There is a LARGE difference in perk damage from level 2001 to 3000, and everytime we get new and better weapons, we usually get more weapon skill boosts or it becomes easier to sacrifice for it.

Until we are hitting weapon skill stats over 3000, I see no problem with the current scaling in perk damage and weapon damage. Also keep in mind, most specials (key to a lot of profs damage) have been capped a long time ago, while perk damage is ever increasing and keepers and shades definately benefit from higher regular hits/criticals.