Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Looks mucho better. You are welcome. What package are you using? Just wondering because of the lack of any kind of lol.. pearlescence to your pearl.
    That's because pearls are actually slightly translucent and they have an inner "glow" which is light reflecting off its layers from the inside. You need a faint glow from inside the pearl to get the effect. Dark pearls look kinda like ball bearings because they don't reflect as much as the creamy ones.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    trying to iron out the totw rings of the 'Three' this is what I came up with,..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ngs_Sample.jpg

Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Notum1, Notum2, Notum3.

as always comments are welcome.

Cheers!
    The notum rings look great. Very nice. Very futuristic. Very AO'ish.
    Deadly Whisper - RK1
    too many alts for to little space

trying to iron out the totw rings of the 'Three' this is what I came up with,..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ngs_Sample.jpg

Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Notum1, Notum2, Notum3.

as always comments are welcome.

Cheers!
    I like those they work well. Might be cool to do the colors of the notum rings according to the nano skills they buff...so like red for bm/mm (heals), yellow for pm/si (wep/ts baffs) and...well mc/ts is pink normally but i don't think pink and totw really go together lol
    Still waiting for Ultimate Ofab Armor!

Definition of penultimate - next to the last

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    That's because pearls are actually slightly translucent and they have an inner "glow" which is light reflecting off its layers from the inside. You need a faint glow from inside the pearl to get the effect. Dark pearls look kinda like ball bearings because they don't reflect as much as the creamy ones.
    No really? Is that why I added SSS to my example perhaps?

The question was directed at his package so I could try and direct him to his packages version of thin-fim (all pearls have a slight rainbow effect we call Thin-Film, its subtle but its there). The slight translcency is easy to make look good with SSS but you can sometimes fake it in packages that do not support such technology. One of the old tricks was compositing with another render that used various edge transparency FX.

I think of ALL precious "stones" a Pearl is perhaps one of the hardest to do convincingly without resorting to realism.
    Last edited by meatybtz; Dec 22nd, 2009 at 00:33:50.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    No really? Is that why I added SSS to my example perhaps?

The question was directed at his package so I could try and direct him to his packages version of thin-fim (all pearls have a slight rainbow effect we call Thin-Film, its subtle but its there). The slight translcency is easy to make look good with SSS but you can sometimes fake it in packages that do not support such technology. One of the old tricks was compositing with another render that used various edge transparency FX.

I think of ALL precious "stones" a Pearl is perhaps one of the hardest to do convincingly without resorting to realism.
    Well your pearl had no translucence either. You can just fake it with a light source in the middle and very slight transparency. For the final size they're going to be, it looks pretty fine to me, this is splitting hairs.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Well your pearl had no translucence either. You can just fake it with a light source in the middle and very slight transparency. For the final size they're going to be, it looks pretty fine to me, this is splitting hairs.
    No translucence? LOL. Only way to get more realisitic is if I was using one of the more advanced render engines that do physically correct lighting calcs like Luxrender. The SSS is handling the subsurface translucency, my light being rather close to the pearl has given it quite a bit of passthrough (the sort of pinkish hue). And you would NEVER fake it with an internal light unless you had a powerful backlight on the Pearl. Subsurface Scattering does a better job simulating the low levels of translucency that is visible up close.. but in most lighting conditions the light being reflected off the surface of a good pearl will mask 99% of the pass through light.

It is however indeed splitting hairs. Moving on and looking forward to more of his work. Till then I have my own work to attend to and beating the hell out of a new AAO Feature that is in Alpha.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

I'm a balding man, fast approaching 50 years, I have no hairs left that I can donate to the splitting society. I use Bryce v6 for the rendering, and Anim8or to make the ring meshes when they are not the standard torus type thing. And as it has been said, the final size of these makes this type of discussion almost pointless. I'm not really aiming for photo realistic, just a style that fits together with the current AO graphics without being too much of a clash. that's why for the case of the rings and gems, it's my aim to replace them all. that way they will all have a matching style.

In the case of the monster parts etc, it was necessary to keep them at a very close match to the existing icons.

I'm guessing the latest example is the best version for the lighting of the sphere/pearls. so I'll go with that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

You can use some of my hair :P

Cause im much younger then you, probably a whole year or 2 :P

I think you have everything nailed down great except...

The silver and platinum rings, can you please switch them? Pretty please with lots of cream and cherry on top?

As for the rest, it really looks great and better with every new edition.

I just hope we can see these implemented at the time the new engine goes out.

FC, pay this guy already

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbluebear View Post
    I just hope we can see these implemented at the time the new engine goes out.

FC, pay this guy already
    Why wait for the new engine? These babies are ready NOW! FC, hire this guy already! I wanna see Doc posting with a blue name.

Dunno about that ^^ he might disappear then and only appear every few months with updates
    Still waiting for Ultimate Ofab Armor!

Definition of penultimate - next to the last

Impressive work, especially with the arul gems and the OT ring (and pink ring! lol)
    I do hope you'd consider re-doing the barrow strength icon you posted some pages back. It looks bland atm :/ Looking forward to that and what you can come up with for the MotR.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbutsu View Post
    Impressive work, especially with the arul gems and the OT ring (and pink ring! lol)
    I do hope you'd consider re-doing the barrow strength icon you posted some pages back. It looks bland atm :/ Looking forward to that and what you can come up with for the MotR.
    I'm not entirely satisfied with the barrow of strength either, when I get tired of doing the same old thing, I'm a bit eclectic, and bounce around doing other objects. I plan on redoing the barow, just forming ideas at the back of my head right now.

If any of you know of other 'reused icons that could use a new icon, please feel free to post them here.

I'm going to do a Platinum vs Silver test today, I'll need your opinions to nail down what coloring/texture will work best for those.

Cheers!

Hey

Would be awsome if those icons would be added! It would not be hard for the developers to implant it into the game, and still would it add some very nice new stuff to the game, in a easy way for the devs.

Keep up the good work!

From Kehaan.
    /Kehaan - lvl 220 Crat - Atrox/
    /Kehaax - lvl 150 Fixer - Atrox/
    /Kehtra - lvl 210 Trader - Atrox/
    /Kehelectric - lvl 165 NT - Atrox/
    /Kehxao - lvl 150 Doctor - Solitus!?/
    A proud advisor of Cerberus

In theory players could add them right now, but I dont suggest it, could break your DB something wicked.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Time to vote people, which is Platinum and which is Silver?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tals_Test1.jpg

Cheers!

Cheers!
    Don't like the blue ring personally.

Though here's some food for thought:
    Platinum Rings and Silver Rings

Personally I can't really tell the difference in the colours of some of those rings.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Cheers!
    Left: Platinum
    Right: Silver
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Left: Platinum
    Right: Silver

I always imagined plantinum to have a duller appearance than silver.

I would say:

Left - Silver
    Right - Platinum

On that same note I think if the left one had a slightly more white hue instead of blue it would definitely work much better as Silver.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333465 ... LastLast