Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

omg, omg had to jump to page 2 to find my thread. looks like my 15 minutes of fame are coming to a slow end LoL.

Here are the first 27 gems, more to come soon..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Gem_Chart1.jpg

Let me know if you think any of these don't fit the named gem. (although most are subject to interpretation.)

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    omg, omg had to jump to page 2 to find my thread. looks like my 15 minutes of fame are coming to a slow end LoL.

Let me know if you think any of these don't fit the named gem. (although most are subject to interpretation.)

Cheers!
    A thought for the Pearls and other round gems would be to have a Polished and Dull versions of them, rather than the grit around them, not sure how distinct they'd be but it might look better that way.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

would this type thing work better? I applied a bumpmap to the shiny pearls and set specular to 50% (from 100%)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...est_Sample.jpg

Let me know if this is a better way to do the pearls.

Cheers!

Pearls look good, grats.

Gemstones:
    -Almandine is a dark, pure red.
    -Aquamarine just a touch lighter or greenisher.
    -Demantoid is a green garnet, darker.
    -Spring crystal is quartz i think, colorless.
    -Onyx is opaque, should be cabochon cut.
    -Perls should be a bit less grey.
    -Ruby pearl looks fabulous.

Other gems look very good. Grats on nice work.

PS- Did I say that the ruby pearl looks absolutly fabulous?

would this type thing work better? I applied a bumpmap to the shiny pearls and set specular to 50% (from 100%)

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...est_Sample.jpg

Let me know if this is a better way to do the pearls.

Cheers!
    Interesting take on the pearlswith the second option but I think it looks a bit to difficult to tell them apart. Not that I think first take on them is necessarily the better of the two but its definitely easier to distinguish.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

Just wanted to say from what I have seen here, you have several key concepts for game art licked:

Consistant themeology (art style)
    The understanding of making an effective ICON. A ton of people I see never get that.
    An Icon shold be instantly recognizable at a glance, be simple, and unique. So far you are walking right down the correct path.

Not only that but you have captured the somewhat cartoony feel of AOs Style. That is, it doesnt feel out of place. However the high quality of your icons would and does clash side by side with the old ICONs... how about I challange thee to upgrading the already good ICONs to match your art style so that its a complete set.

On the Pearl, toss a thin-film shader on it to make it have a slight rainbow hue that a pearl would have.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...-btz/Pearl.jpg the 3 second pearl from my library. Thin-film + SSS.
    Last edited by meatybtz; Dec 21st, 2009 at 06:02:26.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

This stuff looks really cool Doc...a few things I wanted to mention.
    1: The Omni-Tek ring with the multiple engravings seems a little too...decorated to me. I think it would be better to go with a little less decoration...and a bit more black. 2 words I would use to describe with Omni-Tek is 'dark' and 'military'. Look at the guards...So a bit more black I'd say.

2: The Notum ring looks cool...but it's got completely different colors. The design changes are nice but I wouldn't want the colors to be completely different since then everyone will be going "wtf is this??" and looking through all their rings to find the right one lol.

3: Barrow strength looks really plain. The coloration is nice though.

4: The gems look really cool I like them, and would certainly be nice to be able to visually distinguish between the different arul gems (especially arbiter 1/2).

5: Any more update from FC? I'm glad they wanted to talk to you would be cool to see these new graphics implemented. I get tired of the same Icons too heh.
    Still waiting for Ultimate Ofab Armor!

Definition of penultimate - next to the last

just wanting to say : the cracked gems need real breaks imho

anyway the stuff you doing here is amazing
    that definitely should be a part of AO revamp along with new engine !
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Hi, thanks for the constructive critiques, they always help.

For the 'polished' opals I will change them to a flat rounded edge stone and use a rough stone for the uncut versions. My thoughts for the 'pearls' is they should be 'encrusted' and then instead of 'cut' they need to be 'cleaned' I'll try some different ideas/techniques.

I'll see what I can do to make the OT ring darker and more 'military' and also address the notum rings, perhaps a dark blue/gray surface with the 'digital' inlay. We'll see.

Cheers!

Cheers!
    The normal pearl should be more cream rather than grey and emeralds aren't really that cloudy (in the middle), but otherwise very nice.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Been following this treat alot and really loving your work!

I was rather wondering if you already had feedback from FC about the use of your artwork. It would be great but if FC doesn't want or isn't able to use any of these icons it'll be alot of work for nothing.

Keep up the good work en perhaps FC could give feedback about the possiblilty in use of these very cool graphics. (or did I miss that post

Cheers!
    To Equip User Faction == Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    Just wanted to say from what I have seen here, you have several key concepts for game art licked:

Consistant themeology (art style)
    The understanding of making an effective ICON. A ton of people I see never get that.
    An Icon shold be instantly recognizable at a glance, be simple, and unique. So far you are walking right down the correct path.
    I couldn't agree more on this. Many "sets" are destroyed by mismatch art styles. Your icon fit each other perfectly. I can only applaud you on that.
    Deadly Whisper - RK1
    too many alts for to little space

Here is another test on the pearls/spheres..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ed_Sample1.jpg

I made a separate 'crust' sphere (with cutout gaps in an irregular pattern.) I simply make this sphere slightly larger than any of the pearls and apply a grunge/dirt texture. I'm hoping that having parts of the 'perfect' pearl/sphere peek through will keep it recognizable and still look like it needs to be 'cleaned/cut'

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

I asked for new blood plasma - it would seem that the original container design is high-techy enough. Guess I just wanted a bit of shine but aw, that can wait since I don't think the icon is re-used.

Is this a complete list of the different gems in AO?..

01) Almandine
    37) White Opal

..and are there only 2 types of each? regular (uncut) and perfectly cut?
    You missed out on some gems I believe. These are Gold 2 Sphere Pearl by Peters & Tool, and Shining 2 Sphere by Pearl, Peters and Tool. Yes, I believe one of the names is misspelled and if memory serves me right the tradeskill on those is broken as well, oh maybe not broken but you tend to lose money cutting it at least. According to Auno the first one becomes Soul Sphere by Divaad when cut, and I believe it is so too. Can't remember about the other one, it's possible it's the same item but just in higher QL.

Here is a new 'Pink Ring' and a coral ring that I made..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ral_Sample.jpg

Cheers!
    I always imagined the pink ring to be a bit shiny like the old one. I do realize I'm just jabbering about here though

Great job so far!
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

hmm looked at them again today with a fresh mind. What is killing me today is the 50/50% horizontal split on your reflection/world. Works fine on the complex objects but the spheres split in half looks... wierd. Try to adjust them to have the more common shadowing angle similar to my example. Its just the horizontal split that giving me the wrong feel.

Otherwise.. looking much better.
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

Really nice work. I hope FC finds some way to compensate you for the artwork and implement it.

trying to iron out the totw rings of the 'Three' this is what I came up with,..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ngs_Sample.jpg

Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Notum1, Notum2, Notum3.

as always comments are welcome.

Cheers!

Here is another test on the pearls/spheres..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ed_Sample1.jpg

I made a separate 'crust' sphere (with cutout gaps in an irregular pattern.) I simply make this sphere slightly larger than any of the pearls and apply a grunge/dirt texture. I'm hoping that having parts of the 'perfect' pearl/sphere peek through will keep it recognizable and still look like it needs to be 'cleaned/cut'

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!
    Maybe you could try making the crust thinner and more transparent, and add noise, then reduce the saturation of the main pearl or use a more diffuse light source.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by meatybtz View Post
    hmm looked at them again today with a fresh mind. What is killing me today is the 50/50% horizontal split on your reflection/world. Works fine on the complex objects but the spheres split in half looks... wierd. Try to adjust them to have the more common shadowing angle similar to my example. Its just the horizontal split that giving me the wrong feel.

Otherwise.. looking much better.
    there was something nagging me about the pearls too, I think you found the eyesore..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...hadow_Test.jpg

just used a simple flat gray background, that eliminated the reflections. I think this lighting will work for the pearls. Thanks for catching that one.

Cheers!

Looks mucho better. You are welcome. What package are you using? Just wondering because of the lack of any kind of lol.. pearlescence to your pearl.

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323364 ... LastLast