Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

Very nice gems :)

And the rough looks very reallistic.

The colors look great too.

The cracks might look better if they crisscross instead of irradiating from a central point?

PS: Love the rainbow hued.
    Last edited by Lusos101; Dec 18th, 2009 at 16:34:47. Reason: Had to..

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisfix View Post
    It works and people would be able to understand it. The only real way to make the cracked gems look really cracked is to actually break apart the model and put some distance between the pieces.
    This, although I could imagine a big gash across the gem that's big enough to notice as well. You could also make the broekn ones dull.

How many gem type icons are there in the game? I was wondering if it would be more practical to use the same basic shape for all the uncut versions, so they just differ in colour. Love the Juggernaut one, that one would like good with the other colours as well I think.

That way, you immediately know it's an Arul gem, and you could use the other shapes for different gem types.

RE the suggestions for added realism above, I for one don't care so much about that. The icons should look good and be easily recognisable at small size - which these are, fantastic work!

Having to mouse over so many items has been a little annoyance for the longest time, thanks so much for your work, hope FC gets moving on this soon.

Is this a complete list of the different gems in AO?..

01) Almandine
    02) Amber
    03) Aquamarine
    04) Balas Ruby
    05) Black Opal
    06) Blue Pearl by Conner
    07) Chrysoberyl
    08) Cold Stone
    09) Coral
    10) Crystal Sphere
    11) Demantoid
    12) Diamond
    13) Ember
    14) Ember Sphere
    15) Emerald
    16) Fire Opal
    17) Flawless Spring Crystal
    18) Gem
    19) High Quality Silver Onyx
    20) Hot Stone
    21) Jet
    22) Pearl
    23) Pearl of Rubi-Ka
    24) Red Beryl
    25) Rubi-Ka Ruby
    26) Ruby
    27) Ruby Pearl
    28) Sapphire
    29) Silver Onyx
    30) Silver Pearl
    31) Soul Fragment
    32) Soul Sphere by Divaad
    33) Spring Crystal
    34) Star Ruby
    35) Topaz
    36) Water Opal
    37) White Opal

..and are there only 2 types of each? regular (uncut) and perfectly cut?

Just making sure I cover the bases.

Cheers!

EDIT: ..and a reminder of where I was at with these gems..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../Gems_WIP4.jpg

Cheers v2.0!
    Last edited by Docaholic; Dec 18th, 2009 at 18:39:21.
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Don't think you got them all, I remember atleast a Dull Pearl of Silver by Omni-Med. And possibly there are more.

And Infiltrate... Go away, let us creative people brainstorm and share ideas for the enhancement of the game. The whole purpose here is not to showcase Doc's work or to see who's the better graphics designer, but to get rid of reused inventory graphics. Nobody "owns" a thread, Scab's input is quite helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisfix View Post
    It works and people would be able to understand it. The only real way to make the cracked gems look really cracked is to actually break apart the model and put some distance between the pieces.
    Then it would be broken, not cracked

Good looking stuff Doc
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    Note: the only thing I could make look half way decent for the 'cracked' gems is to make a 2d overlay of cracks and just stamp it on the uncut versions. I don't think it's necessary to get 'too realistic' as long as there is some distinction between the gems.
    This wouldn't work with transparency, but it's something you might want to consider (if you havn't already): if you make the gem opaque then create a duplicate gem and shrink it a bit so it's just under the surface of the old one then texture it plain black, you could 'crack' the coloured, outer layer and have the darker innards show up vividly. I havn't tried this so I don't know how it would look... but it's an idea.

Also, did you try colouring the 2D cracks to the same colour as the gems? The black cracks on the black gem look great, but on the others they stand out almost a little too much.

Cracked gems aside though, that is a fantastic collection you have there.
    Last edited by Scabadus; Dec 18th, 2009 at 20:31:24.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    This wouldn't work with transparency, but it's something you might want to consider (if you havn't already): if you make the gem opaque then create a duplicate gem and shrink it a bit so it's just under the surface of the old one then texture it plain black, you could 'crack' the coloured, outer layer and have the darker innards show up vividly. I havn't tried this so I don't know how it would look... but it's an idea.

Also, did you try colouring the 2D cracks to the same colour as the gems? The black cracks on the black gem look great, but on the others they stand out almost a little too much.

Cracked gems aside though, that is a fantastic collection you have there.
    I was thinking along the same lines, having the cracks the same color as the gem, perhaps a shade darker.

havent been playing for some 8-9 months now..
    just checking in now and then..

but god, its trivial.. agree with #1 OP

the highligt of a graphical overhaul, was like a enlightenment.
    thinking everything was getting a overhaul, including my inventory.

But naa.. nothing..

/yawn
    Last edited by Vaupelle; Dec 18th, 2009 at 22:58:36.

- Gained more than 1500 levels in Ao, im bored.
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
    PresidentofEvisystems-esbjerg,Danmark║
    ╟───────────── Motto─────────────────────────╢
    ║ We the willing, have done so much with so little ▓ ▓
    ║ That we are now able to do anything with nothingADD
    ╟───────────── Accounts ──────────────────────╢
    ║ Account # 1 Account Created 2002-05-02 21:09:22
    ║ Account # 2 Account Created 2004-07-23 15:33:45
    ║ Account # 3 Account Created 2004-10-17 11:36:54
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Here is a new 'Pink Ring' and a coral ring that I made..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ral_Sample.jpg

Cheers!

Here is a new 'Pink Ring' and a coral ring that I made..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ral_Sample.jpg

Cheers!
    Very nice. I particularly like the "pink" ring, but the coral ring is nice as well.

And it continues.

The great work. Grats.

May i suggest a hint of technology in (some) rings that give bonuses? A faded circuit design inside transparent gems, rings or bracelets? Some plug looking features? Just a suggestion.

This is a test of the Filigree Rings with perfectly set gems.. I need to know if you think there is enough difference between the silver (left) and platinum (right) rings. I gave the platinum a blue tint. do you think this will work?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gree_Test2.jpg

Cheers!

This is a test of the Filigree Rings with perfectly set gems.. I need to know if you think there is enough difference between the silver (left) and platinum (right) rings. I gave the platinum a blue tint. do you think this will work?

Cheers!
    Looks good to me. I can make out the color difference easily.

Cheers!
    Looks quite good, but somewhat I would like wider pattern. It's bit messy around edges...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Friend of mine told me platinum has more of a pink/beige type color tint, but very subtle.. I made this revision of the color..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gree_Test3.jpg

it's hard to keep the details when reduced to 48x48 icons, here is a repost of the filigree rings with the larger render for you to see.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ree_Sample.jpg

Cheers!

Maybe make the silver ring a bit thicker and shinnier? Give the platinum a more metallic and dull look?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101 View Post
    Maybe make the silver ring a bit thicker and shinnier? Give the platinum a more metallic and dull look?
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. The silver ring looked a little to dull to me.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

Ok, I hear what you are saying.. I gave the filigree ring a different center band and made it a bit wider, this allows for a bit more area for color saturation when resized to 48x48.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gree_Test4.jpg

So? is this color scheme better?

Cheers!

Ok, I hear what you are saying.. I gave the filigree ring a different center band and made it a bit wider, this allows for a bit more area for color saturation when resized to 48x48.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...gree_Test4.jpg

So? is this color scheme better?

Cheers!
    Much better and more distinct.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Thumbs up Looks good enough to eat :)

You know what i mean

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313263 ... LastLast