Thread: I'm tired of reused Inventory Graphics..

How's this for an icon for Chunk of Living Dragon Flesh: http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...gonflesh2.jpg?

Mabey a little... not chunky enough?

I believe the armour itself is a unique icon, but the flesh itself isn't.

Yet.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    I believe the armour itself is a unique icon, but the flesh itself isn't.
    Armor icon is used on other stuff. In-game mesh is unique though.

Wow, those ring graphics are really decent, would love to see some of those ingame.

Especially the large one on the far right, would make a great graphic for the novictum rings.

I've been playing around with weapon models again today and I've come up with a melee weapon this time. This is a 1HE weapon, I didn't have any specific item in mind when I made it: http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...1HESword-1.jpg
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?

I've been playing around with weapon models again today and I've come up with a melee weapon this time. This is a 1HE weapon, I didn't have any specific item in mind when I made it: http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...1HESword-1.jpg
    Looks quite a bit like the ofab viper mk 1 i think, or one of the mk's.
    Doesnt look to bad for a piercing wep, think its lill bit short to be used as 1he. But nicely made ^^
    Former Evandoc *whine*

Cows "Areeh" Orange

<3 Free Spirits
    Proud neutral on Atlantian server

Wood handle? Definitely an RK era weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Matammyr View Post
    Wood handle? Definitely an RK era weapon.
    I don't see why Wood wouldn't still be a viable building material, especially for the Clans. Unlike Omni-Tek, the Clans cannot just import vast amounts of metal for the production of high-tech weapons.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I've been playing around with...................
    No offense Scabadus, but please make your own thread. This is Docaholics thread. You are politely riding on the tails of someone with a lot more experience than you. (Note to Docaholic: Don't be modest and shut me down. This is your thread!). I would like to keep reading what Doc has going on... but nothing else if you catch my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    I don't see why Wood wouldn't still be a viable building material, especially for the Clans. Unlike Omni-Tek, the Clans cannot just import vast amounts of metal for the production of high-tech weapons.
    Use all the RP justifications you want, the trend since SL has been to not really acknowledge that Rubi-Ka, the planet, is akin to the mining towns of the Old West; a remote outpost with a fraction of the technological goods in more established areas.

I'd be all for brining this visual theme back, but as it stands, that's an RK weapon if I ever saw one.

I really do not mind people posting ideas or icons of their own design, and if I like the idea I'll see about taking it a step up and doing a proper render/texture.. I won't say the living dragon flesh image was total crap, it did inspire me to make this, did I do it justice?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...esh_Sample.jpg

And, I have no idea why, but I tried making a new 'Barrow of Strength' not sure I like the current results. you be the judge.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...row_Sample.jpg

Cheers!

P.S. it is not my intention to do or make new armor or weapon pictures, since all weapons and armor have in-game models to go with them. making a new inventory weapon for example and not having the model in game may only serve to confuse people, and others would be like "what the heck? the icon doesn't even look close to the weapon I'm wielding."

note: I'm going to try to hash out all the Arul gems by tomorrow, then back to more rings and stuff.

Cheers v2.0!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Quote Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
    I really do not mind people posting ideas or icons of their own design, and if I like the idea I'll see about taking it a step up and doing a proper render/texture.. I won't say the living dragon flesh image was total crap, it did inspire me to make this, did I do it justice?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...esh_Sample.jpg

And, I have no idea why, but I tried making a new 'Barrow of Strength' not sure I like the current results. you be the judge.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...row_Sample.jpg

Cheers!
    That Dragonflesh render is so much better than mine it's not even funny (Though that wasn't hard to better mine... you're nice to not say it was total crap but we both know it was )

Still, glad I could be of use.

P.S. it is not my intention to do or make new armor or weapon pictures, since all weapons and armor have in-game models to go with them. making a new inventory weapon for example and not having the model in game may only serve to confuse people, and others would be like "what the heck? the icon doesn't even look close to the weapon I'm wielding."
    While that may be true for some weapons, others (especially grenade launchers) are downright confusing icons. The first time I saw a grenage launcher in my inventory I wouldn't have guessed it was a gun... not to mention the mesh looking nothing like the icon.

To Infiltrate: you are absolubtly right of course. This is Docaholic's thread and he is unarguably a better artist than me. To tell the truth while I am still a student now I am considering a career in the games design industry, and after FunCom expressed an interest in Doc's work.. well.. I decided to push my luck and post a few images myself and see if I couldn't get some professional interest (not for money mind you... mostly to help make AO a better game and slightly to be able to put that on my CV). No such luck unfortunatly; I seem to need more practise.

I wasn't trying to "ride on his tails" or anything like that, it had simply never occured to me that FunCom would ever use players' work (kinda dumb considering Dovve's map is ingame). So that is why I have been posting images. I'm going to carry on making a few AO based models/icons, and if anyone wants to see them they can send me a PM and ask for the link (I honestly don't believe my skills deserve their own thread, I'll use my website), but from now on I'll keep out of Doc's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Your right. Its why Clan kill Omni-tek employees and take their weapons gear, and the spoils of war that they were protecting. So they pay for our goods

btw no screws in AO!!! whats wrong with you has to be some other way you can fasten the blade to the handle

Quote Originally Posted by Infiltrate View Post
    No offense Scabadus, but please make your own thread. This is Docaholics thread. You are politely riding on the tails of someone with a lot more experience than you. (Note to Docaholic: Don't be modest and shut me down. This is your thread!). I would like to keep reading what Doc has going on... but nothing else if you catch my drift.
    Then read what Doc posts and put Scab on ignore if it bothers you so damn much. Doc obviously has no problem with it, and neither do the majority of those perusing the thread. Hell, I have plenty of creative ideas but I lack even Scabs level of skill, otherwise I'd be posting my attempts also in the hope Doc could use them as a base and perhaps offer a critique here and there. So kindly stop derailing the thread and don't post if you can't add something constructive, if you catch MY drift.

As for my constructive opinion of the hour, I think Scab has some good ideas even if he is limited in his ability to recreate them, whereas Doc has the creative ability to make the most of Scabs ideas as he sees fit, i.e. the living dragonflesh ( which I like very much, by the way ). So I have no problem with seeing a creative colaboration between the two when possible, as it just adds more eye candy for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeren View Post

btw no screws in AO!!! whats wrong with you has to be some other way you can fasten the blade to the handle
    Why is that? Perennium weapons use bolts, after all.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Dec 18th, 2009 at 07:20:47.

apparently, your thread now got a FC logo !
    looks like someone is getting deserved attention ...

so : gg doca
    hope and can't wait to see your efforts implemented IG
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

About the Arul gems

Suggestion for the arul gems. The cut on the stones is unrealistic. I suggest using some real or similar to real gem cuts. It could be, for example: Round cut for lowest and then add one tip for each level. That would be round, pear, marquis, triangle, square and pentagonal. Also the gem rough usually doesnt look like in game. Cut gemstones are usually made of the harder minerals, and are either found clear or with little rock or amourphous materials attached. Meaning, that for rough stones u can use rounded and slightly irregular figures or clean (but generally broken) crystals. Pearls and other organic gem materials can be represented the same way in the rough and polished, the only difference is that polished gems have better color and are shinnier (my engrish is showing i think ). Jewellery metals: Silver is the shinniest (again ), gold and platinum dont polish as well, and platinum is much stronger and more expensive then the other 2 , jewellery made with platinum is therefore usually thinner.

Just a few suggestions, for the great work Doc is doing. I think he should be renamed to "Lord of the Purty Rings"

Great work, grats!

Quote Originally Posted by Matammyr View Post
    Use all the RP justifications you want
    And I shall

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeren View Post
    Your right. Its why Clan kill Omni-tek employees and take their weapons gear, and the spoils of war that they were protecting. So they pay for our goods

You're pretty much right. Clans would have production, but it wouldn't be as high volume as Omni-Tek's. Therefore Clans obtain a lot of their weapons, armor and Medicine from two sources.

1) Killing or Stealing from Omni-Tek.
    2) Buying them from Neutrals who first bought them from Omni-Tek.

Some would argue smuggling stuff onto the planet, I can't say it's wrong, but it since it would be a high risk activity with high risk of death (Aliens and OTAF) in space, I don't see the Clans smuggling in items like basic firearms and body armor due to the astronomical cost.
    Last edited by Trousers; Dec 18th, 2009 at 14:27:48.
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ok, here are the arul gems in a nice chart, I think they will work, yuppers I sure do.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...s_Sample-1.jpg

Note: the only thing I could make look half way decent for the 'cracked' gems is to make a 2d overlay of cracks and just stamp it on the uncut versions. I don't think it's necessary to get 'too realistic' as long as there is some distinction between the gems.

Comments welcome, and Oh, I only saw one post with color suggestions so I went with his choices.. the only exception is his choice for the desert one. I took the beige color one.

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

For some reason my first thought when I saw your Barrow Strength was that someone made a yalm out of flesh.

Still, great work.

And a request; Could you think of something for Superior Ancient Combat Tuner / (Infused) Ancient Nano Enhancer / Dust Brigade Notum Infuser / Bazzit's Alien Library ... and so on. That icon is used in way too many things. :\

Also, WTB an update on what's going on with FC.
    Zenross - 220/30/70 Fixer - High hp, no AS, still enjoying PvP. Solo kills: 5004
    Zenmachinery - 220/26/67 Engineer - DD & TS. Added to projectile damage: 1010 points
    Zenparticle - 168/14 Nano Technician - Errr...
    Zenwithin - WIP Martial Artist - Leveling without pocketing and Inf missions.

1,323,425 people bought Ikaruga only to find out that they suck at video games.

I found out that I kick ass.

Ok, here are the arul gems in a nice chart, I think they will work, yuppers I sure do.

Note: the only thing I could make look half way decent for the 'cracked' gems is to make a 2d overlay of cracks and just stamp it on the uncut versions. I don't think it's necessary to get 'too realistic' as long as there is some distinction between the gems.

Comments welcome, and Oh, I only saw one post with color suggestions so I went with his choices.. the only exception is his choice for the desert one. I took the beige color one.

Cheers!
    Wow, I have to say I wasn't to impressed with the colours originally, but when they're put together like that they do look amazing.

Any plans on putting them on the actual bracers if you're going to redesign them as well?
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Cheers!
    It works and people would be able to understand it. The only real way to make the cracked gems look really cracked is to actually break apart the model and put some distance between the pieces.
    TL 7
    RK2 - Maxisolja - 220/24 Trox Soldier | RK2 - Blitztrick - 220/25 Soli Fixer E | RK2 - Krakenz - 220/21 Trox Keep
    RK1 - Shanue - 218/30 Opi MA | RK2 - Redenf5 - 218/22 Trox Enf | RK2 - Jrollin - 214/25 Opi Shade
    TL 5
    RK2 - Memorial - 170/16 Opi Engi | RK2 - Maxisfix - 168/21 Opi Fixer E
    RK1 - Clento - 150/20 Soli Soldier | RK1 - Losodoc - 150/20 Soli Doctor
    RK2 - Loso - 150/20 Opi Advy | RK2 - Tachun - 150/13 Opi MP
    RK1 - Krakenz - 150/15 Trox Advy | RK1 - Loso - 150/13 Trox Advyoo.
    TL5 Fixer Information | GMT -08:00 West Coast Canada | Java AO Chat API | Dnet

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303162 ... LastLast