Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 27th, 2009 - Uphill in 6 feet of snow

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    There are already a few orgs on RK1 for Romanians and French, so its completely normal for them to do just that.

i would add that there are several regular orgs on RK1 that have euros that speak all sorts of languages... My org has a growing euro population in it and several of them speak various non english languages...

They already have SL for 5$ a mo, and doing a 1 time fee would not pay for the servers month to month and the game would go splat.
    Where did you get that from, your crystal ball?

This one doesnt make any sense what so ever, RK1 and 2 have population problems, making it easier so english speaking players can play on Rk3 would not raise the population when Rk1 and 2 are already english speaking servers.
    Well if funcom really thinks they can increase the population after the new engine than a third server wouldn't be that bad I guess.

Imho the message is clear, RK2 will be next and then RK1 finally follows sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldiTwo View Post
    Where did you get that from, your crystal ball?
    Where did I get what? the 5$ shadowlands or the 1 time fee? Because the a 1 time fee of $99 for life is how much they currently get per person per year. So if they arent making enough off it right now year to year... you know I'll let you work that math out for yourself.

Imho the message is clear, RK2 will be next and then RK1 finally follows sooner or later.
    Not really, RK1 and 2 while low in population aren't nearly as low as RK3.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Where did I get what? the 5$ shadowlands or the 1 time fee? Because the a 1 time fee of $99 for life is how much they currently get per person per year. So if they arent making enough off it right now year to year... you know I'll let you work that math out for yourself.
    How much is 12 x 5? I didn't write 99,9 $ for all expansions.

Not really, RK1 and 2 while low in population aren't nearly as low as RK3.
    You can check the population yourself, I gave a broad hint with the probes question.

Anyways I still hope the best for AO ... I just can't see it.

Means please tell me where the feck you found 6 feet of snow, I want to go snowboarding!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Means please tell me where the feck you found 6 feet of snow, I want to go snowboarding!
    Normally I'd say my front yard, but El Niño has been good to us so far this year...no snow on the ground yet.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Thumbs down

Again the question: Will you close RK3?

I think the char transfer from RK3 is probably the worst idea FC could have.
    - They will lose a lot of players who can only speak German.
    - They will lose a lot of players who are simply pissed of by that decision.
    - They will lose a lot of players who transfer and then find out, that is has nearly no advantages but some bid disadvantages
    - They will lose a lot of players by ripping the community apart (or do you think they will allow a transfer of all neutral chars to RK2, all omni chars to RK1 and so son?)
    - They will lose some players on RK1 and RK2 who might see the germen transfer as a curse

The majority want to stay on RK3. Even if only the whiners transfer (you can have them in may opinion) this will be a considerable loss. These are the guys who want to take the easy route. They know they will never get the same equipment if they start out new.

And I don’t think that the people on RK1 and RK2 are specially lucky with the end-equipped chars transferring to them. 90% of the high level char has his burden for the social, all midlevel twinks are equipped in high-ql Combined AI-armour and so on.

Neutrals will fight for there own day in pande and PF42 and disturbed the normal raids if they have to. Towerfighter will raze the towers when your are sleeping due to the difference in time-zones (that is, if there are enough people transfering and not quitting)

And the guys who want the transfer will find, that there are not so much more people online during there play-time due to the different time zones. The faction raids will be during times the average German can not participate and so on and so on.

This might very well be the beginnung of the end. For all worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Huminus View Post
    Neutrals will fight for there own day in pande and PF42 and disturbed the normal raids if they have to.
    APF and Pande are instanced.

Towerfighter will raze the towers when your are sleeping due to the difference in time-zones
    This already happens.
    Dogeared: their fix will probably eliminate the 'sploit that allows you to pass through ''doors'' from one playfield to another. <-- zomg, she was right!

And the guys who want the transfer will find, that there are not so much more people online during there play-time due to the different time zones.
    Actually, there's way more people online on RK1 during Euro primetime than US primetime.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Actually, there's way more people online on RK1 during Euro primetime than US primetime.
    LOTS more...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I expect honesty, and every other company that sees a servers population is too low reacts in a timely manner no 5-6 year later lol.

The reality is Funcom will invest as much as is needed to milk the rest of the population, but they don't invest anything to really stabilize AO.
    Some games don't even out that long before they shut servers, so your expectation is unreasonable. And I do see FC reaction as completely valid because every other company does the same thing ... server merge options. They aren't even forcing people to leave. You're just being negative to convince yourself it's all horribly wrong. It's foolish TBH. You have a good option to relocate to two healthy populated servers after crying for years your's isn't and now you get it, you crying more that it's too late for whatever reason. I'm not sure why anyone should really listen to you at all. Anything that is going to happen, you will just cry about it.
    Last edited by Obtena; Nov 27th, 2009 at 23:01:48.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

I don't think I like the idea of the server transfer that much at this point but Means is correct in that the folks on DNW have been waiting for a while for so
    e help and making what amounts to AO2 isn't a quick nor easy feat.

What? You didn't realize this us pretty much the development of AO2 at the point?

I've never been to RK3. Is, like, all ingame and GUI text in german there? If not, I don't see how they can NOT have the basic english comprehension to make it fine on RK1 or RK2. Germany is supposed to have a good level of english education - whenever I've visited, almost everyone seemed to speak it to some degree, at least the younger population, who would also be the ones playing AO.

On RK1 there are several orgs already devoted to people of a certain nationality, as was said before. The reason for RK3's existence has always been a little unclear to me. There's a lot of finnish people on AO, but we manage just fine without our own server

While a transfer from DNW to RK1 or RK2 might not be what people wanted its clearly whats going to happen.

Sure it would be nice if all of a sudden AO got enough people to support 3 dimensions its not likely to happen soon.

Im sure people transfering from DNW (even if its just the 1/3 that didnt say that didnt want it) will cause problems for those that remain (as its not been said their shutting down DNW) but fact is the DNW server has been in decline for a while and even without the transfer its probably going to be dead soon, and if people will quit because they want to stay on their server for their own language then they'd be quitting eventually anyway unless they like single player games.

Im sure that the thoughts of "loosing the community" are unpleasent but if it was dieing anyway what exactly are you loosing?

The RK1 and RK2 communities will welcome you with arms open, and while yes the forums and main language spoken will be english not german, im sure you can find or set up organizations and fanforums for german speakers only just like all the other people of non english speaking nationality have.

I think the char transfer from RK3 is probably the worst idea FC could have.
    Italics are by Huminus, my comment is underneath:

- They will lose a lot of players who can only speak German.
    You are welcomed to make an org.
    There are italian, romanian, scandinavian and german orgs already.
    So you will be able to continiue as usual

- They will lose a lot of players who are simply pissed of by that decision.
    People can leave, if they want to, but why not just continiue in the org you have always been in?
    Why not move with your friends.
    The people will be the same, the org will be the same, the only difference is that it is called RK1 instead of RK3.
    The game menu and descriptions are in english (apart from Die Kleine Nadel), so you should know the names of things, outside of your org.
    May I suggest a german chat-channel (bot), that is quite doable if you want to.

- They will lose a lot of players who transfer and then find out, that is has nearly no advantages but some bid disadvantages
    Ofcause it will not have an advantage, apart from more people..
    the loot tables are the same
    I think very few to none expect a difference in game mechanics

- They will lose a lot of players by ripping the community apart (or do you think they will allow a transfer of all neutral chars to RK2, all omni chars to RK1 and so son?)
    Talk with your friends.
    Your org will likely talk about it, and you can move together.

- They will lose some players on RK1 and RK2 who might see the germen transfer as a curse
    Urm.. I know no such people.. we have people from all over the world.. literally.
    people from one more country?
    Why should that be a problem?

- The majority want to stay on RK3. Even if only the whiners transfer (you can have them in may opinion) this will be a considerable loss. These are the guys who want to take the easy route. They know they will never get the same equipment if they start out new.
    Character transfer, as in they get to keep there equipment
    Have you ever played on the test-server?
    yes, FunCom can do that.

- And I don’t think that the people on RK1 and RK2 are specially lucky with the end-equipped chars transferring to them. 90% of the high level char has his burden for the social, all midlevel twinks are equipped in high-ql Combined AI-armour and so on.
    It does not matter what equipment they have
    you are welcomed naked, in AI armor
    ..though not Atrox in swimsuits!

- Neutrals will fight for there own day in pande and PF42 and disturbed the normal raids if they have to.
    1) Instanced playfields
    2) FFA times?
    3) you are welcomed to start the debate with the raid leaders, but if there are 300 clan, 300 omni and 20 neutrals in the bot, it will of cause not happen.
    How about joining campalot?

- Towerfighter will raze the towers when your are sleeping due to the difference in time-zones (that is, if there are enough people transfering and not quitting)
    YAY for global servers
    This is one of the things I like abotu AO: world servers.
    You get to speak with people of every nationality.
    The game is awake when you come home drunk after a party.
    you will have friends to say hi to in the early morning before your morning coffee.
    Say hi to the guy in Hawaii, wave to the Newyorker as he is heading to bed..

I <3 world servers

- And the guys who want the transfer will find, that there are not so much more people online during there play-time due to the different time zones.
    Germany = 1 country
    RK1 and RK2 have the whole european uniun, and africa in the same time zone..
    + the rest of the planet.
    Why do you expect Germany to have as many players as whole of Europe + Africa?

- The faction raids will be during times the average German can not participate and so on and so on.
    Have you looked at how it works on RK1?
    there are Euro times and American times for many things.
    exactly to consider that there are people from the whole planet.

- This might very well be the beginnung of the end. For all worlds.
    ok, this is not my comment, but Means:
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    This game is funded by an ample number of subscribers and an additional revenue stream from advertising viewed by our glorious Fr00b population. Money is not an issue. The game is now fully staffed by previous players with a passion for this product...and a real love for AO that goes beyond the normal sense of responsibility that comes with "a job". Relatives of mine designed the containment structures for nuclear power plants used all over the world. Relatives of mine helped design the Canada Arm on the space shuttle and some of the first fluid exchange coolant systems for satelites. THIS is what I have chosen to do.

When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.
    I think you sound awfully pessimistic Huminus.
    I hope you will have fun joining us

to me it sounds like you give up before even trying.
    When you have tried it out, you can give your feedback
    until then, don't worry.

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

first of all, it's their job to come up with something clever -but anyways:
    1)
    They could make Shadowlands and AI F2P and display ingame ads for theses players.
    Not with these imho not so good billboards but with ads that get faded in in a save place so that the player doesn't die because of the ad. Or the can display ads after and before every zoning.

2)
    Like someone mentioned, they could make a onetime fee, you pay for example 99,9$ and get a Lifetime Shadowlands account etc.

3)
    They could rename RK3 to something general and make a Global OOC for every major language, so that a german can speak german in the germans channel and an english speaking player in an english channel if they wanted to.
    Yeah those ideas are going to bring players in to save RK3. $100 cost for a 5 year old expansion on a froob account, a general chat for non-speaking german players who play on a German server and more advertising that players won't see. If by clever you mean stupid, then yeah, I guess anyone can come up with ideas like this. I mean, you say they should be clever, but clever has nothing to do with the fact that AO competes with newer games that appeal to more people which make it hard for AO to retain players.

I think a better idea is option to move server, which they are doing.
    Last edited by Obtena; Nov 27th, 2009 at 23:13:32.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

I'm totally againt this forced resettlement.

As for a game AO, is old and lacks many things. The reason tho play such a game for me and many others is the unique community on DNW. I doubt that all the social and emotional aspects which make someone play this game can be transfered too.

There is no localised version for DNW so I am sure a lot of people have learned some English while playing AO, I happily welcome any player to AO wherever they are from.

Keep up the good work Means, like I said before just keeping us informed every week in FWM is testament to your commitment to keeping this game alive
    Talita

̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.

How do I start this new SL freakin' instance?
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvi View Post
    I'm totally againt this forced resettlement.

As for a game AO, is old and lacks many things. The reason tho play such a game for me and many others is the unique community on DNW. I doubt that all the social and emotional aspects which make someone play this game can be transfered too.
    If Funcom added a German channel why would your unique community die? All players will have a choice, if the community is so strong as you say it will survive the transition, you will even gain new players to your community who chose not to join DNW in the first place not realising the potential.
    Talita

̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast