Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516

Thread: Friday with Means - November 20th, 2009 - Nanomage says "Wut?"

bleh, instanced cites suck.. i mean they're good if you can't/dont have a actual plot of land.. but i dont think anyone wants to give their city in *insert zone here* for a city in a bottle.

and that does'nt take into account WHO should get to keep their cities and who should have them moved to instance.

gonna pull names out of a hat?

combining all servers would be good short term.. but the question that needs to be addressed is why are people leaving? and why are not enough new people coming in to fill their place?

the first one is a little harder to answer the 2nd one i think it's because a lot of people have never even heard of AO.

they need more advertising, sure AO is not a new game but i think if it was publicized more people will come, the froobs program is what got me in the door, but back then not as many "Free" games was out there so it might take a little more effort now.

that still leaves the question of why are they leaving? is it a serious flaw of the game driving people away? or is it just that leaving players are about avg %ratio and the new players are just below this break even point.

also even though AoC is'nt the same type of mmorpg it seemed to have stolen some of the AO base, some of them came back to AO, some of them did'nt
    the upcoming secret world will probably take some more.

either way when it's possible that 1 server could support the entire world of AO, there is a problem.. one thats been there for a long time but seems to only be getting worse.

i dont ever expect AO will become popular to fill a dozen or more servers, but i'd like to see rk1 & 2 packed.

anyway i hope after the new engine is done they advertise like crazy, otherwise they may have to drop the first M in mmorpg to avoid false advertisement lawsuits
    Nanomage Meta-Physicist : Squad Commander [Famous Last Words] [RK2]
    Interested in applying? [Click Here]

As for progress on the Engine, how about making some sticky where you can display the progress in various areas related to the engine release? Update it every few weeks.

Example display with status in terms of % completed:

CORE: 85%

New Vegetation: 50%

Avatar Heads/Bodies reworked: 70%

Effects: 20%

Optimizations: not yet started, eta begin Jan 2010

=========

I'm sure the Devs have more categories and they have weekly progress reports in all those areas but this should give an idea of something that could be made public in a sticky and steadily updated.

Unless you can post up pics or video showing dramatic changes, this would be a far more useful display of progress on the engine, and the data could be readily copied from status reports you have already on hand each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    As for progress on the Engine, how about making some sticky where you can display the progress in various areas related to the engine release? Update it every few weeks.

Example display with status in terms of % completed:

CORE: 85%

New Vegetation: 50%

Avatar Heads/Bodies reworked: 70%

Effects: 20%

Optimizations: not yet started, eta begin Jan 2010

=========

I'm sure the Devs have more categories and they have weekly progress reports in all those areas but this should give an idea of something that could be made public in a sticky and steadily updated.

Unless you can post up pics or video showing dramatic changes, this would be a far more useful display of progress on the engine, and the data could be readily copied from status reports you have already on hand each week.
    I don't think we need a world keyboard shortage due to the mass breakage of F5 keys.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    I don't think we need a world keyboard shortage due to the mass breakage of F5 keys.
    Not to mention the forum PvP that ensues when one or more of those percentages doesn't move for weeks or months at a time.

I would like to see new engine pictures of SL and LoX areas. So far as I know, LoX was designed with the new engine in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    You don't run a script/macro to get 100 F5's a second, 24/7 and no keyboards abused?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    You don't run a script/macro to get 100 F5's a second, 24/7 and no keyboards abused?
    LoL.... for the lunatics

Hope Means looks at this before posting this week. Probably not but heres hoping...

Can we see projected timescales for the engine and the balancing act, I know you won't have any firm idea yet and making promises now will lead to you being battered with your projections 12 months down the line but personally I would like to know if it is 3 months, in which case I will hold off re twinking into the AS pistols or 12 months in which case I'll go through the pain knowing I will get some use out of it.

What kind of delviery are you looking at? I think any changes in isolation will be ineffective and the feedback will be skewed, so are you going to do a full implementation of everything to live or look at implementing perk changes then breed changes etc etc.

What is your general strategy now for the rest of the changes, an overview would be useful, for example... 3 weeks time nano changes for professions (insert profs) 5 weeks time equipment - suggested changes etc. A few notes on how deep this change will go will be very useful. At the moment it is difficult giving good feedback because each proposal has to be viewed within the context of todays mechanics.

Is there anything the community could get involved with? You are blessed and cursed by the technical savvy of your subscriber base, couldn't you release textures to be mapped? How about a competition for designing a new instance... surely a lot of the effort you are undertaking is pure grunt work which could release your team to the more enjoyable aspects of developing.

I am often critical of your efforts but I wince when I read through a thread like this... not a way I could earn a living. I think as a whole the client base appreciates your efforts and the difficult tasks you set yourself and your team.

As always looking forward to todays FWM.

I would like to see the rest of "balance" documentation (nanos, heal nerfs, items, research...).
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Klodders View Post
    I would like to see the rest of "balance" documentation (nanos, heal nerfs, items, research...).
    or at least a statement on their general ideas as I doubt they have the big overview of it all as of yet.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    or at least a statement on their general ideas as I doubt they have the big overview of it all as of yet.
    It was said that they have, but it was not published yet. Hey, I even got infrakshn pts for arguing about it if they really have it or not, so... Gief! If you have it (as you said).
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

I think FC are still chatting with Nasa about space shuttle heat shields & how to make their next generation flame retardant teletubby suits...

Maybe next week
    Troxxor - Atrox Enforcer - My Ganker [Target]
    Slights - Solitus Enforcer - My Tanker [Target]

Loyal General of Ascension
    www.clan-ascension.org
    Rimor | Clan
    Significant Alts: SlightChange | Bokken | Takken

Quote Originally Posted by Klodders View Post
    It was said that they have, but it was not published yet. Hey, I even got infrakshn pts for arguing about it if they really have it or not, so... Gief! If you have it (as you said).
    Actually last I heard they didn't as they were still hammering out various details on what and how to change things. That is they may have a proposed change to a certain thing but keep adjusting and arguing over aspects of the change. While with what they have shown us they were at least more or less satisfied with them when they were put in a PDF and posted to us.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516