(I'm cold. Why? Why is the world spinning? The sky, so blue, so bright. I think I'll just lie here for a while and look at it. I just wish it would stay blue. I like blue. The white is starting to hurt my eyes.)
*blink*
Dammit. I hate it when that happens. I know I'm essentially immortal, but it's still a wrench when I die, and I never seem to feel quite right until I've had a good rest. And I always feel so naked. I wish the regenerators would recreate my little robots.
*blink*
OK, the reclaimer has finished, so I'll grab my stuff and get out of here. I don't like cities much, but for me they're a necessary evil - well, at least until I can get down to Varmint Woods. I know it's in Omni territory, but I hear tales of someone called Eric...Mendle-something I think. He runs an outpost deep in the woods, far from what passes for civilization. I'm sorry, but I am by far happiest in the wilderness far from anyone. I plan to see the entire world one day, but being brought up Clan means the south is closed to me, at least for now.
*blink*
Time to go. The road out of here is fairly safe, so I'll save my little helpers until the Shacks. The shops around here are OK as well, so just let me stock up on some health kits and dump some of the useless weaponry I seem to attract. Guns! Who's got time for them? Too noisy by half, and they need constant reloading. No, I'm very happy with my Rider, and it's very useful too.
*blink*
It's good to feel the grass under my feet again after the hard ground of the city. I could follow the path if I wanted, but why? It's much more fun in the cool shade of the trees, watching the bunnies bound away, and little clouds of butterflies scattering at my approach. It's just a shame I have to head through the canyon to get where I want to go. There's an odd feeling about halfway through, as if I'm being moved from one place to another. I always seem to stop in the same place, as if some external force is taking over my muscles. It doesn't hurt, and the memory fades quickly, so I'm not even really sure if it happens. We'll see. If I remember.
*blink*
The Bronto Head is always busy, traders shouting out their overpriced goods, lost youngsters, people who thought they were tougher than they really are recovering from resurrection. There's an insurance terminal here, so it's a good way-point on my journey - there's another just down the road, but nevertheless, I put in a claim.
It's also time to get my little friends busy. A couple of minutes running through the rituals - why these esoteric rituals? They're machines after all - and I'm feeling much stronger. I'm going to be careful this time around - there's an oasis just off the road ahead, a place that while beautiful is also deadly, as I once discovered to my
cost.
It's almost dawn, a quiet time in this area. I'll see if I can make the entrance to the ditch before the suns rise. I've always thought the sight of the twins rising over the distant Aegean hills particularly beautiful. I run.
*blink*
The journey through the shacks was uneventful, and I gave the oasis a wide berth, just to be on the safe side. At the turning I head East, towards a strangely beautiful, yet almost totally deserted city. Why it is, I don't know. I always expect to hear the sounds of life coming from the buildings, yet all I hear is the wind rustling through the trees, and occasionally the sound of another soul travelling a road close by. I stop at the Insurance booth once again, as this will be my last stop until I head into the unknown. This area I know, but across the road, heading West? I don't know that area. It is with a mixture of trepidation and excitement that I head away from the abandoned city.
*blink*
I think I should leave. Whoever camps here doesn't like us. The skulls on posts guarding each gateway give it away. The fire is cold, though - they've not been here for a while. With the sky lowering and the first hints of a storm coming across the plains, I think I'd better be far away from here before the owners come home.
*blink*
What happened here? Did one of the original colony ships not make it? The water recedes as I approach, and out of the depths rises the long-abandoned hulk of a starship. I want to investigate, but the area is infested with Rollerats. I mark the place in my memory - I will return one day and discover why.
*blink*
The Rollerats force me to escape up a long hill next to the upper reaches of the Omni-1 inlet – far, far north from Omni One, yet the same stretch of water. I bypass a herd of Alpha's, far too mature for me, before stumbling across a road. A road! In the middle of nowhere! I follow it towards the river, for really this far north it is a river, and follow an old set of steps set into the side of the canyon which lead to a suspension bridge. The crossing is daunting, being so high above the river, yet the view is worth it. I wonder briefly who made the bridge, then continue my journey.
*blink*
There's a road of sorts here. It looks old, yet there is evidence of recent passage. It runs west along the river, towards my eventual destination if the stories I've been told are true. There's also a lot of wildlife around here - I'd best be very careful.
*blink*
What is that? What is it? I don't like it - it's too strong, too aggressive for me. It's still following me though - I can't run fast enough.
*blink*
It's still following me - it's still attacking me - I can't stop I can't get away I have to run I have to leave I have to go I want to get away I want to rest.
*blink*
There's the camp! I can see it! Safety, the guard will help me if I can just get there. I just need to get through these bushes and I can buy some insurance and I'll be safe.
*blink*
Nearly there
*blink*
Nearly...
*blink*
...there
*blink*
I can see the terminal. I can almost touch it.
*blink*
I think I'll just lie here for a while. Let me close my eyes, the white is starting to hurt.
*blink*
Dammit.