Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sign here if you would like a pure PvE server

Originally posted by Vydas
    but I do have a rather lengthy list of objections to them interfering with my own game play and day to day activites. As it is, they are already griefing everyone, in a way, by their constant whining and the resultant nerfs.
    And your constant interference in any attempt for pvp to be revitalized raises many objections within me as well. And in fact, you are griefing every pvper when you post against pvp. When you try to make your claims that very few people pvp and speak it as fact, when in truth, it is your own opinion. I have no doubt that many 125 and under players (ie: people who never made a character past 125 or even 150) do not participate or wish to participate in pvp. Seeing as they are the transient population, I find their needs and wants neglible. Now, at level 125+, I have no 'real' numbers of how many of us there are on AO at any given time. But I can say that generally, there is 200-400 guidled 125+ players online in AO at any given time. Was an amazingly small number when I found out, though it sure makes sense. I never did buy the crap that everyone is in a mission, that's why the world seems dead. If you wish to try to tell me that out of this portion of the playerbase, most people don't wish to pvp or participate in any way, then I say you are living in lala land. Sure, it's arrogant. But it's the 125+ playerbase who's in for the haul. That said, unlike you, I believe a game should cater to one or the other. Not both. And I would like it catering to pvp. Yet, I'm a griefer because I..hrm...whine.

There is this stigma that pvp nerfs everyone. That it's pvpers who do all the crying. *laugh* Most pvpers don't even post in the forums. Most just drive on and continue to attempt to have fun in this ever stagnating carebear game. Pvp has been nerfed steadily since release. PVM gets all the attention. So how are pvpers the ones getting their way with all their whining? It's very easy to blame the adolescent 12 year old who cries when being killed in pvp for all the 'nerfs' in this game. Have you ever talked to Funcom about these nerfs? You might be suprised at what they actually used as their reasons. I'll tell you right now, not a whole lot stemmed from pvp.

You claim that pvpers are trying to destroy your game. Can you not see that from a pvper's standpoint, that's exactly what you do as well? So how are they the evil ones? You make me sick.

I am 200% behind a pvp server and a completely 75% server. Give us our own forums as well.

*Bump*

I dont think PvPers are all griefers. Sure there are a few over testosteroned teenage boys who give you all a bad name, but you arent all griefers hehe

PvP has just never appealed to me, other than DAoC's rvr stuff and that game got old reeeeeaaaal fast. AO is a great game, but they really are struggling to find a way to balance the classes for both PvP and PvE and they end up making it worse for both.

I think a pure PvP server would be good for people who like that stuff.

I also think a pure PvE server would be good for the rest of us who like that sort of game play.

I dont think Funcom would ever do either though. EQ held my attention for a long time with no PvP at all. DAoC is adding a carebear server soon, and I will check that out. I hope someday AO can have a server like that too cause I know Im a part of a large group who just doesnt care for PvP.

AO is my favorite of the games mentioned though. I just want my cake and eat it too

I totally like Suasor's definition of PvP. That's how it should be.

To be honest, not everybody can PvP. It requires a certain level of physical reflexes, cool under pressure, killer instinct, etc. PvP excludes people not only out of inclination, but also out of ability. There *may* be some envy on the part of diehard PvMers.

OTOH, if you think PvM is mindlessly boring, you have never really done good PvM. Synchronizing 5 people's 10-second-cast heals to land continuously is only trivial until you try it .

That being said, I don't really see how a pure PvM server is any different from what we have now. How many 25% or less zone do we have after the recent patch? Not that many.

A pure PvP server, now that would offer some interesting/different gameplay. 0% everywhere might actually make people use those mission terms in obscure places.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

I'd like a pure PvE server - it'd get the "wah wah you ganked me" whiners off RK1 & RK2. Sounds good to me. Would absolutely love a 25% in cities, 0% everywhere else, PvP server as well.

--K

Originally posted by Rogoff
    To be honest, not everybody can PvP. It requires a certain level of physical reflexes, cool under pressure, killer instinct, etc....

There *may* be some envy on the part of diehard PvMers.
    LMAO- I'm sorry Rog, but that's silly. Now I've got very limited experience with PvP in this game, though I've done plenty of it in a couple of similar games. PvP doesn't take reflexes or killer instinct. It takes the right gear and the right skill spec, and that's it.

Most PvM'ers hate PvP'ers because they see them as 14 year old whiny brats. It's not envy of another person's "killer instinct and reflexes".

I don't really see the same basic dislike amongst PvPers for PvMers... I don't know why. Perhaps they've taken out their aggression already by ganking them and shouting "carebare n00b i r0x0rz u!!!"

Or maybe PvMers just don't enter the thoughts of the average PvPer. I think that's more likely. They aren't a threat, so they aren't considered.

I don't know. =)
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

Originally posted by Peisinoe

And your constant interference in any attempt for pvp to be revitalized raises many objections within me as well. And in fact, you are griefing every pvper when you post against pvp. When you try to make your claims that very few people pvp and speak it as fact, when in truth, it is your own opinion. I have no doubt that many 125 and under players (ie: people who never made a character past 125 or even 150) do not participate or wish to participate in pvp. Seeing as they are the transient population, I find their needs and wants neglible. Now, at level 125+, I have no 'real' numbers of how many of us there are on AO at any given time. But I can say that generally, there is 200-400 guidled 125+ players online in AO at any given time. Was an amazingly small number when I found out, though it sure makes sense. I never did buy the crap that everyone is in a mission, that's why the world seems dead. If you wish to try to tell me that out of this portion of the playerbase, most people don't wish to pvp or participate in any way, then I say you are living in lala land. Sure, it's arrogant. But it's the 125+ playerbase who's in for the haul. That said, unlike you, I believe a game should cater to one or the other. Not both. And I would like it catering to pvp. Yet, I'm a griefer because I..hrm...whine.

There is this stigma that pvp nerfs everyone. That it's pvpers who do all the crying. *laugh* Most pvpers don't even post in the forums. Most just drive on and continue to attempt to have fun in this ever stagnating carebear game. Pvp has been nerfed steadily since release. PVM gets all the attention. So how are pvpers the ones getting their way with all their whining? It's very easy to blame the adolescent 12 year old who cries when being killed in pvp for all the 'nerfs' in this game. Have you ever talked to Funcom about these nerfs? You might be suprised at what they actually used as their reasons. I'll tell you right now, not a whole lot stemmed from pvp.

You claim that pvpers are trying to destroy your game. Can you not see that from a pvper's standpoint, that's exactly what you do as well? So how are they the evil ones? You make me sick.

I am 200% behind a pvp server and a completely 75% server. Give us our own forums as well.

*Bump*
    There have been several polls (both official and player) regarding who cares about PvP. The statisitcal results (which have been consistent) are the basis of my saying that it is the few, not the many, that care.

It is unfortunate if that makes you sick.

Originally posted by Vydas

There have been several polls (both official and player) regarding who cares about PvP. The statisitcal results (which have been consistent) are the basis of my saying that it is the few, not the many, that care.

It is unfortunate if that makes you sick.
    Where are these polls?

Originally posted by Gridhaxxor
    Where are these polls?
    Well, I'd start by taking a look up Vydas's ass.

Is it possible to maybe get some bumps on this thing erased? Maybe do a reverse bump?

Arrow

I just don't see the issue anymore...

Theres like 3 places that are 25% now, and only one of them has any ph4t l3wt worth thinking about at all.

PvP Nerfmongers drive me nuts though. "I must win, even if it means going on the forums and nerfing everything I don't like [or understand] and to hell with the rest of the game"

You're pulling the wool over your eyes if you think they didn't get plenty of the cute little nerfs put in. Half damage...any idea how many little side effects that did, and further nerfs/changes that were done later?

Nobody would give a rats *** about people breaking roots in a fight if it wasn't for pvp. Weee people can try running from mobs that root, who cares FC might've never even known, nobody would have ever complained. (now we get mobs that can't be rooted, and can warp you heh, though they would've done that anyways)
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

To be honest, not everybody can PvP. It requires a certain level of physical reflexes, cool under pressure, killer instinct, etc.
    I'm afraid not.

PvP in games like AO, EQ, and DAoC revolves around you sitting there, hitting auto-attack, and pushing keys corresponding to your currently selected hotbar as the opportunity arises. The only thing even remotely true about your statement is the part about remaining cool under pressure.. which applies to just about any game out there. Other than that, AO PvP doesn't require much on the part of the player, because most of it depends on the character and the items/outside buffs that he has. (that last part isn't always true, but still.) For everyone out there who can't stop talking **** about PvPers because 'they can't win without levels' or whatever.. come play me on UO, and I'll show you PvP that rests solely on the skill of the person behind the computer.

I love PvP, I've PvPed on every single MMORPG that I've played (except for E&B, since the PvP there appears to be null and void for the moment.) And everyone out there who's calling PvPers griefers and whatnot, well.. you should really re-evaluate your outlook on things. I don't have any interest in fighting mobs all day.. I'll kill them till I get the item I'm looking for, I'll kill them when I feel like leveling - which isn't very often nowadays - but other than that, what's the point?

I don't PvP to piss people off, I don't PvP to make their lives a living hell.. I PvP because it's fun, and that's about it.

Getting back on topic.. I couldn't care less if they implemented a carebear server, because I wouldn't be on it. =o

I just wish they would make it an option you can select on your char to PvP or not. If not, everything is 75%, and if so then everything is 0%. Wouldn't that be the easiest way to satisfy everyone?
    Nivenyrral Lvl 200 Omni Engineer
    General and Retired President of the Band of Brothers

Originally posted by Mercatura
    If they moved Tar out of camelot, AO would effectively be like this. Theres a couple zones you really don't have to go to (or WANT to go to) at all. So much is 75% now. Theres a couple highlevel spots that mean something, but nothing that means anything for lower levels.

Yet somehow PvP is the "most important" thing in every insert latest nerf demand here post
    I used to actually enjoy PVP a lot, not with this character but with another I had before, and I do also get a kick out of this one, but I really have to agree with this. All these nurf cries are coming from PVPers wanting their class' to be the "push red button own all classes" one.

Even if class, pvp and pvm could be brought into balance in this game, there still would be tons of "I am not the ooberest one, and my classes title says I must be the ooberest one, so make me the ooberest one or I shall quit now and take my guild with me."

And even if class, PVP and PVM were balanced and funcom wasn't swayed, there would be the issue of the current faction inbalance which is very doubtfully ever going to change. At this point in time, Omni is pathetic competition in PVP, doubt they have taken trasque in months, and if clan wants them to sit around the 10-3 whompa to 2ho all day they can do it whenever they want to and do it till they are bored to death.

If I want good PVP, I fire up Soldier of Fortune 2 now, that's some real PVP and it actually takes skill, instead of special items only a few can have, and the ability to hit 1,2,3,4 the fastest. And you actually get to kill other players in SOF2, instead of waiting for long periods of time around zones, so people can get shot once and step to saftey.

I don't think you can make rk1 into a carebear server, but a new carebear server, a new PVP server and leaving RK1 and 2 alone might be nice. Might be harder to find a team but if you can prove yyour stats of the playerbase's preferences with server populations you might get a lot fewer cries for nerfs turning into game realities.
    Last edited by Real Kinky Ityn; Oct 5th, 2002 at 20:38:07.

Originally posted by Mercatura
    I just don't see the issue anymore...

Theres like 3 places that are 25% now, and only one of them has any ph4t l3wt worth thinking about at all.

PvP Nerfmongers drive me nuts though. "I must win, even if it means going on the forums and nerfing everything I don't like [or understand] and to hell with the rest of the game"

You're pulling the wool over your eyes if you think they didn't get plenty of the cute little nerfs put in. Half damage...any idea how many little side effects that did, and further nerfs/changes that were done later?

Nobody would give a rats *** about people breaking roots in a fight if it wasn't for pvp. Weee people can try running from mobs that root, who cares FC might've never even known, nobody would have ever complained. (now we get mobs that can't be rooted, and can warp you heh, though they would've done that anyways)
    Ponder. So you wish to stigmatize every pvper as a nerfmonger? The truth of the matter is that most arne't. There are a few 12 year olds who play this game who will cry whenever they get their ass kicked. If you wish to use them as an example of a cross section of this community, be my guest.

Half damage. Yes, please tell me how this adversely affects your pvm game.

If you talk directly with Funcom, they will tell you straight. Most changes are done for pvm reasons. Not pvp. But oh, maybe I'm making crap off the top of my head.

Vydas, you continue to use polls taken off this board as your 'proof.' Do you not understand that a small minority of the playerbase bothers with this place? That out of that small minority, pvpers are even less likely to bother with this board? That most players, pvpers or not, don't give a rat's ass about participating with Funcom. Ignoring that, sure, your numbers look nice and pretty. It's like americans saying how popular President Bush is. Ignoring the fact that he got 50% of the vote, and only some 35% of the population bothers to vote. A real telling figure it sure is.

Many pvpers continue to play this game as their pvp options shrink and shrink. Pvp has been NERFED constantly and constantly. High level subscriptions are cancelled at a rediculous rate. On a game that was suppose to have up to 10k people online, and only 200-400 guilded 125+ are actually on at any given time...(sometimes as low as 100) can you tell me with a straight face that there is a lot to do at high levels? The last thing many of us do is turn to pvp. There have been almost NO improvements to pvp in this game. Concentration has been put into pvm. Someone at Funcom has even decided that they will make pvpers buy a booster pack to pvp by taking out all the pvp zones. Nevermind the fact that there were reasons why those pvp zones weren't being used. They ignore everything wrong with pvp and add a few four line quests instead for the pvmers. Yea, pvp is really ruining this game alright. Funcom had a great chance to revitalize pvp with 14.5. And they buried it in the ground. Give the carebears their own server. I'm all for it.

If everything centers around pvp, then why is it almost non existent? Maybe you need to open your eyes and take a good look at the direction this game has been going. *shrug*

Bah.

If you wanted a PVE server. Cancel. Now.

RK1 IS a PvE server. There is NO WAY someone can die a PVP death without 100% Knowledge of it. Thats why there are suppression zones.

IF AO was 25% everywhere I could agree with you. I could say that it should be like it is now. With 75% 25% and 0% zones.

However, it isnt. We only have the carebear server now.
    And it's RK1, 2, and 3.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Originally posted by Nivenyrral
    I just wish they would make it an option you can select on your char to PvP or not. If not, everything is 75%, and if so then everything is 0%. Wouldn't that be the easiest way to satisfy everyone?
    I *loved* the PvP flag system in AC. Would have been much better if it was not reversable though. There's something about "going red", and knowing that from that point onwards, no matter where you are, or what you're doing, you're open to attack by anyone else who has the PK flag (regardless of level/guild/etc.) Damn, that was fun. Too bad it doesn't make a lot of sense in the scheme of AO.. :\ Aside from the awful interface, terrible skill system, and neat-unplayability of AC2, the number one reason I will not play it is because they went with zone-based PvP instead of the good old Altar of Bael'zharon.

--K

Arrow

Ponder. So you wish to stigmatize every pvper as a nerfmonger?
    PvP Nerfmongers are a subset of pvpers (and they're real easy to find on the forum) and I've never said anything to the contrary. Nice try though. As for half damage, it created lots of fun little bugs and lame coding fixes.

AO rarely has real pvp, just lag rushes and chest beating. It can be fun at times though, I don't doubt that.

Hopefully the direction the game is going is that pvp might mean something...they're basing the booster on it ffs. Remains to be seen.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

PvP in a MMORPG = dumb. You wanna pay $13 a month to kill another player in a virtual manner? Especially in a poorly thought out and unbalanced manner. Then you're a sucker and you're being ripped off. The first-person shooters make you sick with vertigo, do they?

Companies that have this brainless idea that people want a PvP MMORPG have no clue. Look at the MMORPG's in existence. They're engineered, for the most part, toward teaming and social goal-setting. Even the Ubermeister of all PvP MMORPG's, UO, bowed to reality and made their game pro-PvE (or pro-tradeskill).

Shadowbane is doomed to fail 'cos of this idea.

It's quite simple. There are a plethora of FPS's out there that'll give you all the giggles you can have. Most of them have well made and diversified methods to waste your opponent and provide endless hours of after-work catharsis.

More importantly, they give you this all for the price of the game itself and your ISP. AO and other "red" MMORPG's, can't give you that. You're paying above and beyond for something that is sorely lacking in execution.

we already got 3 carebear servers well almost ,,, if you dont want pvp just dont seak it,,, on the other hand if you want pvp you cant get it always so.... we need a pvp server not another carebear
    =:Main Char:=

Kazax Meta-Physicist (Saint) Rk2

=:Alternative Chars:=

Ugtar Enforcer (Union Man) Rk2

Kazzax Enforcer (Worker) Rk1 (Retired)

Kickn1337 Martial Artist (Master 5th Dan) Rk2

Der finder kun 10 slags mennesker dem som forstår binær og dem som ikke gør!!!

lol maybe PvM one?

for PvE u need a BULLDOZER

Exclamation

Standing around in MMD until you get killed by a solitary lvl 200 MA: EQ-like boring.
    Large scale team pvp battles: Best part of AO, but very rarely happens (to me, anyway)
    That clan attack on Clon**** a while ago was pretty cool too, wouldve been better if it was 25% though.
    Ages ago, my guild (omni tek blackwolf ops) attempted to take over athen
    This other guild asked us to, they thought we had more people, it was horribly organsed, but it was really fun!
    I had my own team to command, and about 40 of us stormed into west athen, killed the guards easily, ran up to the city, my team took down the lower lvl guards, we did, then some of the others took down some high commander guards, but the turrets finished us off.
    It would have been much, much better if Funcom quickly changed Athen to 25% supression as soon as we arrived, if we gave notice to them a little while before. It would've given the clanners a chance to help defend. If funcom can't change supression instantly already, they should really consider implementing this. This would give us our war.
    BiggerDave - 93 Omni Soldier
    Fethers - 43 Omni Agent
    Phetherz - 18 Omni Doctor

Unit member of Omni-Tek Blackwolf Operations

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast