Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - November 6th, 2009 - Back in the saddle!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by deadlytoxin View Post
    Glad your feeling better. Can't wait for the mail system, okay I can but it will be nice to transfer items to a new toon or other player. I wanted to try it out but missed my chance.
    The mail system is out and available on Testlive, so if you wanna give it a shot you still can. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Somehow the last few FwM leave me waiting for the next one, in a "meh, again not much information, but sounds like it'll be better next friday" way.
    Shhhsss. Careful. Behind all the colours, there are ears, ears who listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post

The Engine

Work is progressing very well. I was thrilled this week to come back and see proper water technology implemented and LOOKING GREAT in game. Next Friday we will be posting screenshots (at a bare minimum...I am hoping for more) to show the current state of the ongoing work. I am very pleased with the performance level of the current client given that the integration is still ongoing and the optimization efforts have not really begun...I think we can all look forward to reasonably significant performance increases despite the addition of a great new level of visual detail and effects. It is going to be great to finally leave AO's CPU crunching of DX7 behind and take full advantage of todays GFX hardware with proper optimization.

Nice nice, does "hoping for more" mean 2 or more screens or maybe even something trailer like?
    While we are at the engine, please don't ever implement these "stupid" 3d icons/inventory windows from AoC - my frames drop to 1-2 fps if my inventory is open in AoC and I read many players in AoC have the same problem.

The Daily Mission System

I haven't spoke a lot concerning this over the past few months...not really fair concerning the size and work that have gone into this addition. Lindelu has racked her brain and worked through illness to offer up about 200 new things to do as alternative methods of obtaining XP and I won't spoil any of her creative surprises her except to say that in some cases I couldn't believe she managed to get these experiences to work...they look great and I know we will all enjoy having some new solo alternatives to enjoy to make the most of our playtime...even those times when we don't have the time to commit to team activities. Mass Rollerrat extermination! Dammit...Spoiler!
    Sounds really nice, but daily team missions would be nice to have too!

Quote Originally Posted by Suggester View Post
    MOAHHAHAHAH FIRST PWND BY rk3 YOU NOOBS!

GIMME MERGE ! :P OR TRANFER! *COMMERCIAL*
    I would say "Engine -> Ad campaign -> more players"

Means,
    Any updates on the bugged city upkeep where it is pulling rent multiple times on the due date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    I have found nothing pointing to any "out of line" deductions. Double (or more) deductions are happening tho, but I still need more data on when and where.
    We submitted the information he requested during the initial petition & then via the support email (as requested during the petition), but never heard back from Macrosun on if he wanted it in that thread also, or if the other submissions were enough.

Thank you.

-----

Everyone with an org city needs to keep an eye on this so that we can all provide more information & MAYBE see a refund of the excess rent paid too... not to mention those that have LOST their org cities because of it. It is a sad situation where the city rent date/amount becomes a guessing game & you hope 800mil-2bil in the org city will be enough to cover this bug, when the Funcom devs have known about it since at least August 31st when Macrosun replied in the other thread.

Our org city is 2A in Upper Stret East Bank & had the issue in August. An orgmate has a personal instanced city & it had a double rent withdrawal in October.
    This is happening to instanced & non-instanced org cities.
    No one with an org city is safe.
    Last edited by tazalanche; Nov 6th, 2009 at 18:21:07.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

The Mail System
    I don't want to hear another word about the mail system unless the words "GMS Integration" are used.
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by Majoroutage_ View Post
    I don't want to hear another word about the mail system unless the words "GMS Integration" are used.
    Make an option for GMS, so that someone has to pay some percantage more if he wants his stuff immidiatly, like the express option already implemented.

Exactly as one of the other posters stated. GMS should be instant purchase. It is totally LAME this far in the future to have to run around the planet to buy something from a player shop. Total time waster.

The Mail System

Thanks to all who have been a big help in testing and shaping the new mail system with great suggestions. So far everything seems very stable and I think we can all look forward to this long awaited addition hitting the live servers soon. This has been a "big" change to all item and inventory systems in AO and as a result has been holding back some of the other content we have been working on...having this out will allow us to push out some of the new larger experiences/changes we have been waiting on for some time.
    Means I just now told Macro in case he didn't know already but this probably should get stickied just to be nice to the player base.

ALL CUSTOM GUIs NEED TO BE UPDATED BEFORE PATCHING TO 18.3 OR ELSE PLAYERS WILL CRASH.

The changes to the GUI in total have resulted in custom GUI clients being very unstable, macro put some changes up to day Im not completely sure if they fixed them or not I will check and post back when I can.

But its important that ALL players are using either the 100% default GUI when they upgrade to 18.3 or have a GUI that is 100% compatible with 18.3 or they will crash.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    Means,
    Any updates on the bugged city upkeep where it is pulling rent multiple times on the due date?
    Our org city is 2A in Upper Stret East Bank & had the issue in August. An orgmate has a personal instanced city & it had a double rent withdrawal in October.
    A possible fix should be on live already. If it happens again PM me on the forum with as much detail as possible.

Sex change!
    Almadena

Quote Originally Posted by madridd View Post
    Sex change!
    You wanna go on top this time?
    Troxxor - Atrox Enforcer - My Ganker [Target]
    Slights - Solitus Enforcer - My Tanker [Target]

Loyal General of Ascension
    www.clan-ascension.org
    Rimor | Clan
    Significant Alts: SlightChange | Bokken | Takken

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    A possible fix should be on live already. If it happens again PM me on the forum with as much detail as possible.
    ALL HAIL MACROSUN!

Seriously... thank you.
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Welcome back Means

The daily missions thing sounds VERY interesting. Looking forward to seeing it in action or at the very least getting more detailed information about it.

Good good
    Veteran of Equilibrium

The Mail System

Thanks to all who have been a big help in testing and shaping the new mail system with great suggestions. So far everything seems very stable and I think we can all look forward to this long awaited addition hitting the live servers soon. This has been a "big" change to all item and inventory systems in AO and as a result has been holding back some of the other content we have been working on...having this out will allow us to push out some of the new larger experiences/changes we have been waiting on for some time.
    It's funny to see you sound so gun-ho about a feature in the past you said you didn't like and had no intention to add.

The Engine

Work is progressing very well. I was thrilled this week to come back and see proper water technology implemented and LOOKING GREAT in game. Next Friday we will be posting screenshots (at a bare minimum...I am hoping for more) to show the current state of the ongoing work. I am very pleased with the performance level of the current client given that the integration is still ongoing and the optimization efforts have not really begun...I think we can all look forward to reasonably significant performance increases despite the addition of a great new level of visual detail and effects. It is going to be great to finally leave AO's CPU crunching of DX7 behind and take full advantage of todays GFX hardware with proper optimization.

Means, will the new engine look better then the one in the Still Alive video?
    Was that video even ingame footage or rendered in some hawt 3D-studio program.. ?

Just curious.

That one is years old, and has nothing to do with the new engine update anymore.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

The mail system will be a huge improvement to the game. Woot 8p

Can't wait for some screenies of the new engine.

I don't want to try and squeeze a date out of you regarding the new engine, but with the way it is progressing are you able to give a basic idea of when it might come out? Feel free to over-estimate. But it would be nice to know if it is something to look for in 3, 6, 9, or 12 months.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

when it is done (tm)
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    It's funny to see you sound so gun-ho about a feature in the past you said you didn't like and had no intention to add.
    I'm ok with the possibility that I can be wrong and am usually open to changing my opinion if presented with a good argument. The community wanted a mail system...and Macrosun has done a great job of implementing one...I am always enthusiastic about good work. The time associated with delivery will make it so that person to person interaction still has value...those who choose an express option will remove credits from the economy. This is a solution that makes both my old opinions and new opinions happy....like everything else time will tell if any of it was a good idea.

btw: GUNG Ho
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

While your at it with implementing a mailing system, can we please get a special bank box that's shared between the toons on a account? =)
    Doesn't have to be big.. Just enough to store a few bags of twink gear. =P

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast