Thread: Parry+Riposte Benefit

Parry+Riposte Benefit

In your opinion, how well will parry and riposte add balance to the professions that can use them?

obviously, melee, physical profs with the leaders being

Keeper
    MA
    Shade

With other melee profs having the option to expore these skills, but likely will not be able to master the skills like the three above:

Melee adventurer
    Enforcer
    Melee MP
    Melee doctor

(SoFC crat? :P, piercing evil agent? :O )

There are many calls for keepers to have an adjustment to perks. Personally, I don't see that gaining these (new) skills will replace the need for perk changes for keepers, especially at TL2-5, however, I do see them as possibilities to reduce the amount of damage taken through a novel new method.

The question is, how effective will they be in mitigating damage?

In my opinion, these are supplementary actions, which the top three profs were originally designed for, and, therefore will only add incrementally to their defences, and in a meagre way to their offences.

In my opinion, they do NOT replace the need for subtle perk changes for keeper (condensing HM line, amalgamating AoR and Blessing).

Nor do they replace the obvious necessity of MA's to have properly balanced checks on Flower of life, UwoS, and a few other sought after changes for a more balanced profession.

I cannot speak for shade, although, by the sever lack of active TL5 shades, I would presume there is a significant lack of balance due to the obvious downfall of either offensive or defensive spirits.

/discuss

since no one knows exactly how they will work or how well they will work its kind of impossible to determine how they will affect balance.
    Moonbolt - 220/26/something. Trox Enf RK1 General of Hells Heroes.
    Renswind - 220/21/67 solitus trader.
    Moonkiss - 219/21/something opifex shade.
    Mooncloud - 150/18/somethin solitus MA.

well, means has described parry (in a FWM from last week I think), as 10 second special during which time depending on your skill (which will also affect cooldown), should block at least 1 but probably more special and regular hits.

Riposte appears so far to be some type of counterattack which was not assigned a cooldown, but became active after a particular series of event(s), such as your opponent hits you (or misses?)

There are no laws against speculation

yes i read the post aswell.. but there isnt any way to measure the actual impact on gameplay and balance before testing them
    Moonbolt - 220/26/something. Trox Enf RK1 General of Hells Heroes.
    Renswind - 220/21/67 solitus trader.
    Moonkiss - 219/21/something opifex shade.
    Mooncloud - 150/18/somethin solitus MA.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

There are no laws against speculation
    ^^^

One serious concern for me is if these actions will be usable while performing other actions, perking / MA attacks etc. Having to wait for perk bars to finish in order to pop parry or riposte will be the same as pressing Dimach and having it lag and you still die

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Well it shouldn't be a panic button imho as it's got a decent duration. I'm more concerned about the recharge.
    blah

Yeah, it shouldn't be a panic button escape and it won't be.
    I would just like to push finally getting more than just attack and perk bars and have usable items in their own stack (grafts don't count as they actually cast a nano program, but things like FA Stims and FoB etc)

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    In your opinion, how well will parry and riposte add balance to the professions that can use them?

obviously, melee, physical profs with the leaders being

Keeper
    MA
    Shade

With other melee profs having the option to expore these skills, but likely will not be able to master the skills like the three above:

Enforcer
    Parrying is actually blocking a hit with ur weapon...
    How does an MA do that without wielding a weapon?
    How can the shade do with a dagger?
    But the enf with the humongous hammer of doom can't "master" it?

Failed...

Quote Originally Posted by Stinnipeng View Post

Failed...
    They'll more likely get some help from the nanobots flying around them. Enforcers being less efficient with nano technology, they can't control nanobots as well as other profs. Good part is that hostile nanobots have a harder time to reach the enforcer.

Happy?
    blah

Or with bare-hands duh.
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

We dont need those, erase them and remove parry/riposte from item requirements.

And if we do (im still kinda sure that we dont) there is no need to change game mechanic. There are parry shields avaible to buy in every r-ka shop. Change its action a bit so it is useful again (gives worthless ACs now, change it to specblocker for parry and reflect for riposte) and voila, we have parry and riposte "fixed".

Failed...
    Booo! Go and watch "The Matrix" or some old school movies with Bruce Lee!
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

Failed...
    real life comparison to a game set 30000 years in the future where people can't permanently die and shoot streaming clouds of 'nano bots' out of their hands.

Failed...
    teh fool :: Raynefists :: playing since beta 3 (sort of)

Failed...
    Google: define: parry:

impede the movement of (an opponent or a ball); "block an attack"

(fencing) blocking a lunge or deflecting it with a circular motion of the sword

hedge: avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"

counterpunch: a return punch (especially by a boxer)

j00=failed.

thanks for the comments wakizaki

I agree too, that there shoul dbe a separate stackign order for items: same as specials, and MA attacks, first aids, etc.