Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This Was the Storyline Meeting Thread. Now... idkwtf

Kintaii, any update on when?

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    Events has changed a lot over the past few years, and has really busted their butts to bring some good storylines out to the players.
    Exactly, Theres been at least 4 events in the past week alone that I know of. truely awesome work on events' side.
    Point Blank

Event has not done storyline, they are not alowed to touch it.
    They do events. They can help FC to carry out storyline events, but that hasnt happend in 4 years
    This is about a storyline meeting, not a event meeting
    So to clarify.
    The "Hi, I am a roleplayer" was pretty convicing from FC, but the facts remains.
    Haven't done anyhting for rp for 4 years.
    So untill I see it, I don't beleave it for a second.
    Last edited by Gimpeline; Apr 18th, 2010 at 22:56:07.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    Event has not done storyline, they are not alowed to touch it.
    They do events. They can help FC to carry out storyline events, but that hasnt happend in 4 years
    This is about a storyline meeting, not a event meeting
    So to clarify.
    The "Hi, I am a roleplayer" was pretty convicing from FC, but the facts remains.
    Haven't done anyhting for rp for 4 years.
    So untill I see it, I don't beleave it for a second.
    Bori and 4 Holes come to mind though. Granted, the storyline has been slightly stagnating, but I don't believe it will stay that way for much longer. Not after announcing Kintaii's appointment to the storyline. So I'm expecting changes™ in the upcoming months, I'm sure he's got a Subtle Plan If I'm wrong, I'll dress up in purple and dance on top of a harpsichord... if we can find a harpsichord

Borialis and 4 holes was in 2006 when Lost eden came out. 4 years ago.
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpeline View Post
    Borealis and 4 holes was in 2006 when Lost eden came out. 4 years ago.
    Yeah, i gave up trying to free the city after three years or so. took me long enough to realise that the storyline script had finished.
    The offical major storyline did indeed finish right back then in 2006 imo.

IF they ever decide to give the city a neutral council, i will put myself forward for security minister, and get the damn supression gas generators replaced pronto. Even if i have to pay for them myself.
    But i know im deluding myself with these thoughts.

...Whoa, time flies o_O

You're right, the storyline itself has been rather static. Though I'm seeing signs of change like (from the top of my head) the Newland City Law put forth, and increased security in the Tower of Truth, plus the appointment of Kintaii to the storyline...

Again, I may be wrong ("omg people saying they may be wrong on the Intarwebz!!" ), but I'll keep my eyes peeled (and I'll also prepare to look for a harpsichord, just in case).

My fingers are tingling... Who knows, we may even end up with more changes than we call for! Which can't help making me think of the saying "Careful what you wish for, you just might get it", heh

Yup, the Newland City Foreign Affairs article, was something brilliant. (hope they get it stuck on the main AO website.)
    But im not sure whether it was FC. I think its more likely Events team, (not that we will ever be told, but i would bet money on it being them).
    But it did get me interested once more in the happenings on RK.
    Still i would like to hear whether there was any progress on writing the storyline up... Heck im willing to write history articles for the timeline, as unbiased as i can, suggest ideas etc. I would love to be able to help get it rolling again. Theres no other setting quite like RK.

I wouldn't bet too much money if i were you.
    I can honestly say it was not written by events or FC, but I will say them posting it as all, and running with it is totally them.
    I wrote the document, as part of RPing my job as the FA for Newland on rk2. I came up with the idea of writing it in the first place after a few discussions on how things would/should work in Newland with other players. Also I got tired of saying "well you can't do that, umm because this is Newland and you just can't".
    I have to say I'm pleasantly shocked that it's gotten this far and it went global. I was really expecting events to tell me I was crazy. But for whatever reason they seemed to like it, so I'm not complaining. I guess I did something right.
    I don't PvP becasue my rlpeen is big enough so I don't need to make up for it with my epeen.

"Ahhhhh that was a good dinner. Now it's time to hit the playground and watch the little girls."

Well it was very well written, i got to say, nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasliana View Post
    Heck im willing to write history articles for the timeline, as unbiased as i can, suggest ideas etc. I would love to be able to help get it rolling again. Theres no other setting quite like RK.
    I think there are a lot of players who wouldn't mind at all to spend some free time in writing storylines.

Nonetheless we still need to hear from Kintaii what he's up to, and if he would take player-made stories into consideration at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FoosballX View Post
    I was really expecting events to tell me I was crazy. But for whatever reason they seemed to like it, so I'm not complaining. I guess I did something right.
    Maybe the events department have wished there was such a document to fall back on at times too. Thanks for writing it up, sure helps clearing some things up in Newland.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    I used to love Events... then they brought it back via mobs with gigantic damage shields so that only level 220s could attack it and player-charms to kill random-passersby trying to twink (Yea, thanks guys, nice to run from Borealis grid then suddenly get butchered by a player without ANY forewarning). You have a pretty awesome storyline to base off of, why don't you use it for some pretty awesome things instead of alien sympathizer protests and random "big" monsters?
    I'm brand new in RP, never done any real rp and i definitly agree with Saetos. those events aren't real events ! What is there behind a giant leets invasion in Borealis that could hook if not all players at least some to follow a story or to take part to an event ? nothing. We kill leets, we have fun in doing so that's true but then it's over. Once the leets are dead the events end like this. And that's all the kind of event i've seen since i'm playing AO.

The only real events i heard of (i wasn't online when they happenned) are the invasion of Borealis by Omni-Tek and of 4 Holes by Unionistes. About Borealis, i guess there were a few events behind since i manage to get a "Free Borealis" placard, but then it all just went down. No more "story based" events that would involve more players than the RP veterans.

That's what i dream of for AO. I've got many characters, i think i've got a good knowledge of the game so what now ? will i stay in this game and only power leveling new chars ? I would like to see more of the story and not only quests in SL.
    Gonido - 220 MP - RK2
    Neutral - President of Harmony

Former French Fansite Manager
    http://ao.mondespersistants.com

Bump.

Might just want to do a RP Q&A with suggestions session ingame, since we seem to be derailing topics at a phenominal rate on the Fourth Wall!

as I pointed out here it's almost time for the annual meeting anyway. I think it would be wise for ARK to make the meeting dates and times public quite a ways in advance.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Didn't you know? we did it all last week, 2 people and a leet showed up and we all went out drinking!

But in all seriousness, we haven't forgotten and we will let people know in advance however things keep popping up, for example kintaii sprung the completion of this forum stuff on us so were busy sorting all this out and working on the actual story stuff to get it actually going so it doesn't just come down to talking and no action.

That said, this forum is basically the ideal place to ask anything or say anything you would in a storyline meeting, so if you can't wait for a face to face, post.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenah View Post
    Bori and 4 Holes come to mind though. Granted, the storyline has been slightly stagnating, but I don't believe it will stay that way for much longer. Not after announcing Kintaii's appointment to the storyline. So I'm expecting changes™ in the upcoming months, I'm sure he's got a Subtle Plan If I'm wrong, I'll dress up in purple and dance on top of a harpsichord... if we can find a harpsichord

Thank you Kintaii! Now I don't need to find a harpsichord or purple clothes ^_^

The Fourth Wall is probably better than a Storyline Meeting for the pace it allows. It *breathes*.

Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by Gonido View Post
    The only real events i heard of (i wasn't online when they happenned) are the invasion of Borealis by Omni-Tek and of 4 Holes by Unionistes. About Borealis, i guess there were a few events behind since i manage to get a
    Those weren't "real events" either. We just had a patch one day and then two playfields had different guards. After a massive revolt by players (including quite a few non-RPers who were not happy with a hub city being changed), we got...picket signs, and then we were told to STFU and be happy with the signs.

Contrast this with:
    1) the weeks of events regarding the fall of the Council of Truth, leading up to the ICC guarding Tir after the CoT fell, and then the Sentinels kicking all neutrals out of the city leading up to NW...plus the NLC guards being replaced by mercs who killed clanners on sight.

2) The weeks of events leading up to SL launch, where a vision of David Marlin appeared in the CoT tower.

3) the months of negotiations that led to getting the mercs out of Newland

4) The alien ship crashing in Mort, a month or two before AI release.

Funcom employee

Alright, on the topic of a Events/Player Meeting: Part of the reason why this has been really hard to coordinate on my end is, outside of being perpetually busy, I also don't have direct access to play AO at home - The laptop I use is a giant piece of crap that tends to lag whenever I so much as glance in its direction, so any computer gaming I do only happens up here at the office. This is ok when I stay late after work, but its often difficult for me to schedule a time to get up here on the weekend when such things would probably work better for all parties involved.

To that end I've been thinking about alternatives, and wanted to gauge interest on the possibility of doing a meeting via the Funcom IRC server instead. Most people here know how to access IRC already, and we could potentially look into using a set of bots to relay the chatter between IRC and the game world. It'd also make things a little easier in that we can have a combined meeting for both dimensions at the same time, rather than doing them one-by-one.

For anyone not familiar with IRC, logging on isn't a painful process in the slightest and I'd be more than willing to post a brief primer on how to connect to the Funcom IRC server. We lose a bit of 'coolness' by not actually being able to sit around and see each others avatars, but we also don't have to worry about things such as teleporting everyone into an area, or making sure everyone's in vicinity range, etc. etc.

Anyway, just a thought, and it'd make setting up a meeting a lot easier on myself. Let me know what you guys think overall and we can proceed from there. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Sounds like a good idea. *starts searching for IRC*

hmm yeah, I've been wanting to get to the AO IRC channel anyway, so it sounds good to me.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast