Thread: just throwing it out there

just throwing it out there

"- Many perk lines have been altered to work with a multitude of weapon lines, instead of
    locking the user to using a single weapon type. This allows further diversity in the
    weaponry choices that our professions have available to them, as well as allowing for
    more interesting diversity in the rebalancing efforts for the weapon lines."
    -from the PDF of FWM's Perk Changes Overview, Page 2, second paragraph from the bottom.

when i first read this i was excited, it sounded like weapon skill perk lines would be open to more then just certain professions like, say Assault rifle is soldier only, if opened to all professions, weapon skill lines specificly, would allow several different setups for all professions. I mention assault rifle specificly because, apon discussion with another person with an enforcer, he has me conviced that it would be a great fun idea to have a Dshark enforcer. but at the current moment "there isn't enough buffing items in game to keep a Dshark from OE on an enforcer" according to this person, *don't ask me who it was, was a while ago for got who it was*, regardless of if its even possible atm to put a Dshark on an enforcer, this is an interesting idea.

ive heard many times between several people about how fun the 'old days' of AO was, when there were no perks and any profession could utilize any weapon with almost equal effectiveness, there were odvious advantages to certain ones, and it was sort of obvious why professions are limited now, however. We've been limited to our restrictive tool sets for years. and after reading the quote above made me think we were getting out of the box.

For an example 'allowing for more interesting diversity' as mentioned before Dshark enforcer, would be decent damage in PVM and would do enough damage to hold aggression on a mob with the current tool set. 'interesting diversity' yes i think it would be an awsome idea a ranged enforcer that would do a good job. One could go even farther and, with the proposed idea not limiting the weapons perk lines to professions would allow almost any profession use of high lvl weapons in said skill, they wouldn't be allowed however to use the other profession perk lines for reasons obvious because it would take away from why that profession is they way they are. But, if you allow say a doctor the accsess to 'Piercing Mastery', it would accomodate for lots of damage, but since they have no weapon skill buff nanos, they still wouldn't really have enough skill to perk a profession that has evades in their toolsets.

This is where i leave my idea, i hope it gives some good feedback to game makers. <3 Love AO

-Slicingrosez
    -Affob6 RK2 Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by RedR053 View Post
    "there isn't enough buffing items in game to keep a Dshark from OE on an enforcer"
    if an enf wanna have a D-shark .. he should reroll... enforcers are Mellee grunts that likes to smash stuff.. raw brutes that doesnt mind using their fists or closest object to bash the skull in of the creature that is anoying them.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Oct 20th, 2009 at 16:59:54. Reason: fixed broken quote tag
    Moonbolt - 220/26/something. Trox Enf RK1 General of Hells Heroes.
    Renswind - 220/21/67 solitus trader.
    Moonkiss - 219/21/something opifex shade.
    Mooncloud - 150/18/somethin solitus MA.

Thumbs up

I definitely see your point. He just used D-Shark as an example. I believe he is trying to say that people should be able to use more then just 1 or 2 weapon lines (for most professions) and be able to try other areas. Of course each profession would still excel in their "built for" weapon lines, but at least they would have the option to "play" around with other weapon sets with out completely ruining your toon.

I think you misinterpretted the sentence.

"This allows further diversity in the weaponry choices that our professions have available to them, as well as allowing for more interesting diversity in the rebalancing efforts for the weapon lines."

Weaponry choices that professions have available to them, meaning, As a soldier you can perk the RE perk line, but, since youre using AR the perks will use the AR Attack rating (which should be significantly higher than RE).

Similarly, it should allow users to choose to use, for example, pistols, but be able to use the AR perks, checking Pistol AR, not Assualt Rifle AR.

It's not different perklines that professions have available to them, it's different WEAPONS for Professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

Weaponry choices that professions have available to them, meaning, As a soldier you can perk the RE perk line, but, since youre using AR the perks will use the AR Attack rating (which should be significantly higher than RE).

Similarly, it should allow users to choose to use, for example, pistols, but be able to use the AR perks, checking Pistol AR, not Assualt Rifle AR.

It's not different perklines that professions have available to them, it's different WEAPONS for Professionals.
    Ah, that does clarify things. It would still be very interesting to see it both ways.

"This allows further diversity in the weaponry choices that our professions have available to them, as well as allowing for more interesting diversity in the rebalancing efforts for the weapon lines."

and u dont think it would be a realy cry of anger when an enforcer with 1hb/pericing using SnD and SA at the same time?

this is a generally fun suggestion but it wouldnt work in live play

Atroxes is boring to look at now...

I recall the first time I gazed upon the mighty forcer, (first one I saw that had farmed his scaling gear atleast.) must have been back in 04 maybe...

That was awesome, cos' while I was playing my agent, a friend told me "You too can be just like that"...

But now I can't, and there is no way for me to use anything but my rifle, (which sucks btw, seeing there is loads of better AS weapons around...).

So why can't we change it somewhat back to the good old days, when AO had thousand of players, and not like now when people camp LFT for pande, and hope for BoC on their TL5 twink...

I would personally like to see all weapon perk lines opened up to all professions. However you could simply limit the perk actions you get from them based on profession as well. Basically allow the Enforcer to use the Heavy Ranged perk line for his Dreadloch Shark but not allow him access to the perk actions that come with that line. It still gives you the diversity of using different weapons and still allows you to excel in areas more proficient to your profession however it also limits you in the way of perks as a sacrifice.

Of course this could be taken one step further and have all perk actions looked at based on the profession specializations allowing say a Soldier to use all ranged weapon perk actions even though they currently would not have access to them but not allowing them access to melee weapon perk actions. The same could be done for Enforcers. Other professions would need to be looked at more closely but the general idea here is the same.
    Malcom Ciafardoni
    Circle-G Inc. - The Past. The Present. Your Future.

I'm not a gimp, I'm a trade skill Trader.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbolt View Post
    and u dont think it would be a realy cry of anger when an enforcer with 1hb/pericing using SnD and SA at the same time?

this is a generally fun suggestion but it wouldnt work in live play
    Actually, I think a lot of the perks like reaver and stuff will still require a 2he weapon to be used.

I know the PM perkline still requires a piercing weapon.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

discussion on this topic is getting understood, i wasn't meaning to limit the idea to my own mains, myself being an enforcer with experiance as doc and shade.

it would be interesting to see how people would manage to benefit on specifically support toons, if they were able to gain more attack rating from weapon skill perk lines they would be able to do more damage in not only PVM, but also PVP, some classes would odviously do better with certain lines, however the combinations for professions and weapons are limited only by what one would do with their toons.

i think it would be a great idea to have the cabability to allow "a piercing MP" they wouldn't be able to benefit from research however the idea is interesting to allow percing mastery perk specials to anyone willing to perk the line and spend IP.

this same skill examble would be interesting for an agent, perk PM hotswap aimshot rifle and piercing evil. this sounds overpowered, however if an agent actually implanted and spend IP for the ability to land a perk to gank someone, they would have traded off a lot of things. but the idea alone is interesting

all im asking is for the idea to be looked at and thought of, maybe it'll be pushed a side, but i personally, and a few other orgm8z relish the old dayz of AO. Some of them remember farther back, but i personally loved my doctor before it was limited to either MA or pistol .... ... now if you choose anything other than pistol you are gimp unless you choose MA and thats a pvm only setup.

-Deh R053
    Slicingrosez, Affob6 Inner Circle RK2

Quote Originally Posted by notcrattey View Post
    Actually, I think a lot of the perks like reaver and stuff will still require a 2he weapon to be used.

I know the PM perkline still requires a piercing weapon.
    u should read the other posts wich i replied to aswell.
    it was a relpy to the post about being able to use 2he perks with a 2hb wepon for example.. and i said it wont work in live but its a fun thought.

yes, fc has created a box that our professions 'must' stick to, before SL MA's used to use shotguns because at the time it was the highest hitting weapons with a high crit setup and has aimshot, win/win in pvp. the idea however of your example of a soldier being allowed to use pistols while training pistol perks and assault rifle perks, then allowed to use assault rifle perks sounds similer to the idea that i was going for but not on the same basis. yours sounds like you want a bigger alpha ... i won't ask the question if soldiers need more perk actions, ive never wanted to make one, so never have.

-Deh R053
    Slicingrosez, Affob6 RK2 Inner Circle