Thread: Agg/Def idea

Agg/Def idea

To counteract professions combining massive defense with massive offence, Ive been toying with an idea to make defense come at the expense of offence and vice versa.

If you place the agg/def bar at full def, you will gain the full benefit from evades and NR. However there are no special benefit by placing at full agg other than increasing your attack speed. And since all professions already get to have full attack speed while at full def, it looses its effectiveness. The proposed change is to make the agg/def bar more viable again:

If you place your agg/def bar to maximum defense, you will also get a debuff of your offensive modifer, regardeless what skill you use to attack, be it weapons or nanos, your offense should suffer if you are on the defensive. I would also like to see attack and cast speed capped at 2s when at maximum defense, regardless of attackspeed of weapon/nano.

If you place your agg/def bar to maximum offense, you will also get a debuff of your defensive modifier, be it evades or NR. Just like offense suffer from maximum defense, so should defense also suffer from maximum offense. At maximum offense you can attack as fast as the weapon/nano allows, and get a full offense modifier.

I think a change such as this could be a step towards creating a greater gap between offense and defense. Again it becomes a question of gain vs sacrifice. You sacrifice defense to gain offense, and vice versa.
    General of First Order

won`t work! Evadeproffs have to go full def, but solis for example are fine if they are not. So the impact of not being full def is differing to much between proffessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Doniger View Post
    However there are no special benefit by placing at full agg other than increasing your attack speed.
    Actually, there was some discussion on MP forums about that and it ended up with conclusion that it actually does help with landing hits easier and even nanos. So, it's not only about attack speed.
    Last edited by Klod9000; Oct 19th, 2009 at 15:45:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9000 View Post
    Actually, there was some discussion on MP forums about that and it ended up with conclusion that is actually does help with landing hits easier and even nanos. So, it's not only about attack speed.
    Do you have a link to the discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    Do you have a link to the discussion?
    Nope, I would have to use search to find it.

I have 2 evade profs (fixer and adventurer), and neither of them have to go full def to still get awesome defenses. As a matter of fact, at full def, they are absolute GODS when it comes to survival. And the real problem surfaces when that insane defense is coupled with an insane offense.

There should be a drawback to high offense and doing massive damage, and that drawback should be lowered defenses. If you want to do massive damage, you CHOOSE to weaken your defenses. If you want to be on the defensive, you CHOOSE to weaken your offense and damage output.

So the idea is not to remove the godlike defenses of evade profs, but rather to make them choose between either great offense or great defense, just not both at the same time. And this goes for every profession out there. Actually the evade professions would be the least affected.
    General of First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9000 View Post
    Nope, I would have to use search to find it.
    Hehe k, ill dig it up but was hoping you had it offhand. If full agg does have alternative effects besides init/defense, I could work out a nice suggestion involving my dislike of most every prof being 1/1 on their weapons at full def.

Not all prof can go full def, docs for the most part can't/don't.

Anyone can go full def or full agg for that matter, its just a question of how much you want to sacrifice. What I would like to see is a much more visible and noticable sacrifice for both ends of the scale.
    General of First Order

Anyone can go full def or full agg for that matter, its just a question of how much you want to sacrifice. What I would like to see is a much more visible and noticable sacrifice for both ends of the scale.
    It's dasm visible and noticable on my Doc already...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

This depends on the profession. Even in a fully nano init focused setup, I can't cap the cast time on Self Illumination and standing still for 4s in PvP is a death sentence. People want NTs away from doubles/triples, fine, but making us stand around with our proverbial thumbs up our asses with our other tools isn't the way to do it.

To put it into perspect, we spend 1/3 of the time NS2 is up for, landing Self Illumination. Imagine the fit soldiers would throw if any of their toolset took up 1/3 of AMS time.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Oct 22nd, 2009 at 05:22:44. Reason: edited for obscenity
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Here's one of the early threads on Hit/Miss rate testing including agg/def bar stuff.

There's been more testing and discussion done since... and I believe some calc tools are available. That thread should give you a taste though.

X