Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Traders balancing

Traders balancing

Traders are pretty decently stuffed with various tools since patch 17.4.

The downside of the profession currently is the AMOUNT of nanos to cast to achieve the goal of "crippling the enemy into a shell of its former self".

The net casting time of all nanos combined (Divest, plunder, Ams/dms drain, NR resist drain line A) is around 15 seconds. ( not to mention possible counters)

The majority of professions can deliver a full alpha in that time.

I ask for a more reliable fulfilling of the shutdown role the trader has been given.

If that is in place, possible wishes about an increase in damage via more special attacks may be obsolete.

Also, band-aid nanos such as GTH, BR should be a thing of the past, since the do not promote player skill. They tend to rather generate hate in the player community.

Regards,

Shareida RK1 Tra
    Bailan2 RK1 Adv
    Destructiva RK1 Agent
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

most proffs are pretty shutdown with just one drain!

Quote Originally Posted by Larafina View Post
    No. I don't know if you have any fact or stats to back this, but I can assure that you most professions i fight as a trader are not shutdown after the first drain. When i'm on my other alts, they are certainly not shut down after the first drain either.
    Proud Member of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Shareida View Post
    The downside of the profession currently is the AMOUNT of nanos to cast to achieve the goal of "crippling the enemy into a shell of its former self".
    THE biggest complaint since SL yet so ignored by FC and of course other more easily distracted traders. The problem is only compounded by poorly designed nanos like GTH.

The only thing that would make me bring my trader back to the height of PVP awesomeness would be for FC to reduce nanos I need to cast in PVP just to be able to compete with other professions.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Bunch of crybabies lol.

You whining about GTH, yet ask for an easier time to totally shut down your opponent, possibly faster than they can respond as well. Sure.

If they remove AAO counted twice from perks, 1 drain will be enough to avoid 90% of perks, if they can't perk you, you not going to die, having all the time in the world to do whatever you please with em.

They won't be able to just MR neither.

GTH is insta-removable by a fixer since a while as well, team PvP, there you have it.
    Last edited by Racatti; Oct 16th, 2009 at 21:28:21.
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild
    Trader - Nerfed Professional

i have several 220 with endequipp and my experience with similar good equipped trader, is that if one drain lands the battle is decided. Sure you can do some dam and stuff but you won`t kill the trader. Only proff i can imagine being still very dangerous is nt, cause with their "cheater" debuffs they can ignore your nr and have mc way over the requ of their offensive tools. But nts are almost everyones nemesis, so not really a exception.

... and i`m far to lazy to state facts and numbers everyone should know

Quote Originally Posted by Racatti View Post
    You whining about GTH, yet ask for an easier time to totally shut down your opponent, possibly faster than they can respond as well. Sure.
    This.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

That's the problem with traders ... why should a trader need to completely shut down opponents to be competitive? No other prof needs that. In fact all other profs are balanced when considering fully capable opponents in mind. Granted, traders are unique in that respect, but when that becomes a necessary aspect for them to perform at a PVP level equivalent to others, some, like myself, call that a detriment, not a feature.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Given the effect the new drains have on the opponent, coupled with GTH, BR and the off/def drains I think some work -should- be required to get everything up and running, given the bonus they provide to the Trader as well as the downside they present to the Trader's opponent.

If any casting gets reduced then GTH needs a much longer recharge. Or done away with completely.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    Given the effect the new drains have on the opponent, coupled with GTH, BR and the off/def drains I think some work -should- be required to get everything up and running, given the bonus they provide to the Trader as well as the downside they present to the Trader's opponent.

If any casting gets reduced then GTH needs a much longer recharge. Or done away with completely.
    There are changes coming to debuffs, including GTH according to Means. I guess we shall see what needs to be done after he posts his thoughts on debuffs, heals and such before we say this that or the other.

Having that said, loads of nanos to cast is a double edged sword. If traders only had divest+plunder as basic debuffs and then 2 different situational debuffs in addition then that would be 2-3 nanos to land on someone in a 1-on-1 fight. With no nanos landed, the trader would be at a big disadvantage. With 1 or 2 nanos landed (depending on profession), the playing field would be leveled out, with 3+ nanos landed, the trader would be at a big advantage.

With a minimalistic setup like that, the trader don't have so many nanos to cast and PvP becomes more manageable.

However, the key aspect to trader PvP is the amount of time and effort needed to land enough nanos for the playing field to become "leveled out". The trick about trader PvP balance on its most basic level is to make sure it's not too hard or too easy for the trader to level the playing field and then continue to debuff the target in order to gain the advantage.

It stands to reason that if the trader starts out "gimped", that through time and effort with debuffs he can end up stronger than the opponent. This is a fairly logical conclusion. We can't have trader's be either gimped or have a 50% chance in a fight. That gimped factor has to be evened out by allowing the trader to become above average through debuffs.

Many feel that traders have too many nanos to cast and while that is true from a purely practical standpoint, the alternative isn't much better. Traders who want to cast fewer nanos wants to do so while keeping their relative PvP strength intact. The only way to do this is to remove some nanos but then boost the ones we have left. The result is that we have the same strength we have now in terms of debuffing power except we require less time to debuff the target. Which in turn makes traders more powerful. Which isn't the goal here.

So to keep traders from becoming more powerful, the remaining few debuffs, while being stronger to preserve our PvP strength, would have to be slower to cast and harder to land to counter-balance the added strength these debuffs now have.

That leads to even more frustrating PvP for traders because if you can't land the debuffs in a relatively dependable manner, PvP becomes "splat or be splatted", only decided on the dumb luck of landing the nanos or not landing them. This throws skill out the window completely and reduces the trader profession to a 1 trick pony that is only based on the throw of a dice. Land nano and live or don't land it and die.

The other alternative would be to rely less on debuffs by giving traders more static defense and offense and then let us have only a tiny amount of debuffs to cast, which aren't that powerful as we no longer would need them to be. This however moves us away from what a trader is supposed to be. We would become the fixers slow and ugly cousin or something.

While I agree that it would be neat not having to cast so many debuffs on every single person I meet in PvP, I would rather have the wide variety of strategic options and choices than the alternatives.

Having all that said, it's also important to remember that trader tools affect only 1 person at a time. Our defense is to debuff the target so that he can't hit us much. Debuffing 1 person will not make the second enemy hit us less so we only really get defense against 1 person at a time. Imagine keeper that uses cocoon but it absorbs only damage from 1 person so any additional enemy will destroy his HP in seconds. This is a PvP handicap that most other professions, if any at all, don't have to deal with. Because of this our 1-on-1 toolset has to be above average in strength. It's also because of this that many traders want fewer nanos to cast so that we can gain ok defense against more than 1 person at a time before it's to late. This however is an option we already have. You see, if we can debuff people faster so that we gain ok defense aginst more than 1 person at a time, we would have to give up some of that extra 1-on-1 power from our toolset to balance that out. We can already do this though by only casting 1-2 nanos on each enemy rather than 4. 1-2 nanos are faster but less effective than 4 nanos.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really don't mind the setup we have now. Some professions, like adventurers require a crapload of debuffs before we even out the playing field. It WOULD be nice to need less nanos to cast but then again, there are professions we can win against easy with only 1-2 nanos. Even having the option to "even out the playing field" against pretty much all professions is a privilege that most other professions don't have. Sure, we pay for it by having no defense against "adds" but that's still a small price to pay for having so few nemesis professions.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Oct 16th, 2009 at 23:27:55.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    There are changes coming to debuffs, including GTH according to Means. I guess we shall see what needs to be done after he posts his thoughts on debuffs, heals and such before we say this that or the other.

Having that said, loads of nanos to cast is a double edged sword. If traders only had divest+plunder as basic debuffs and then 2 different situational debuffs in addition then that would be 2-3 nanos to land on someone in a 1-on-1 fight. With no nanos landed, the trader would be at a big disadvantage. With 1 or 2 nanos landed (depending on profession), the playing field would be leveled out, with 3+ nanos landed, the trader would be at a big advantage.

With a minimalistic setup like that, the trader don't have so many nanos to cast and PvP becomes more manageable.

However, the key aspect to trader PvP is the amount of time and effort needed to land enough nanos for the playing field to become "leveled out". The trick about trader PvP balance on its most basic level is to make sure it's not too hard or too easy for the trader to level the playing field and then continue to debuff the target in order to gain the advantage.

It stands to reason that if the trader starts out "gimped", that through time and effort with debuffs he can end up stronger than the opponent. This is a fairly logical conclusion. We can't have trader's be either gimped or have a 50% chance in a fight. That gimped factor has to be evened out by allowing the trader to become above average through debuffs.

Many feel that traders have too many nanos to cast and while that is true from a purely practical standpoint, the alternative isn't much better. Traders who want to cast fewer nanos wants to do so while keeping their relative PvP strength intact. The only way to do this is to remove some nanos but then boost the ones we have left. The result is that we have the same strength we have now in terms of debuffing power except we require less time to debuff the target. Which in turn makes traders more powerful. Which isn't the goal here.

So to keep traders from becoming more powerful, the remaining few debuffs, while being stronger to preserve our PvP strength, would have to be slower to cast and harder to land to counter-balance the added strength these debuffs now have.

That leads to even more frustrating PvP for traders because if you can't land the debuffs in a relatively dependable manner, PvP becomes "splat or be splatted", only decided on the dumb luck of landing the nanos or not landing them. This throws skill out the window completely and reduces the trader profession to a 1 trick pony that is only based on the throw of a dice. Land nano and live or don't land it and die.

The other alternative would be to rely less on debuffs by giving traders more static defense and offense and then let us have only a tiny amount of debuffs to cast, which aren't that powerful as we no longer would need them to be. This however moves us away from what a trader is supposed to be. We would become the fixers slow and ugly cousin or something.

While I agree that it would be neat not having to cast so many debuffs on every single person I meet in PvP, I would rather have the wide variety of strategic options and choices than the alternatives.

Having all that said, it's also important to remember that trader tools affect only 1 person at a time. Our defense is to debuff the target so that he can't hit us much. Debuffing 1 person will not make the second enemy hit us less so we only really get defense against 1 person at a time. Imagine keeper that uses cocoon but it absorbs only damage from 1 person so any additional enemy will destroy his HP in seconds. This is a PvP handicap that most other professions, if any at all, don't have to deal with. Because of this our 1-on-1 toolset has to be above average in strength. It's also because of this that many traders want fewer nanos to cast so that we can gain ok defense against more than 1 person at a time before it's to late. This however is an option we already have. You see, if we can debuff people faster so that we gain ok defense aginst more than 1 person at a time, we would have to give up some of that extra 1-on-1 power from our toolset to balance that out. We can already do this though by only casting 1-2 nanos on each enemy rather than 4. 1-2 nanos are faster but less effective than 4 nanos.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really don't mind the setup we have now. Some professions, like adventurers require a crapload of debuffs before we even out the playing field. It WOULD be nice to need less nanos to cast but then again, there are professions we can win against easy with only 1-2 nanos. Even having the option to "even out the playing field" against pretty much all professions is a privilege that most other professions don't have. Sure, we pay for it by having no defense against "adds" but that's still a small price to pay for having so few nemesis professions.
    Quoted in full because it is that good. This is the case exactly in my mind (as someone who only logs his trader for pvp).
    Proud Member of Paradise

i have several 220 with endequipp and my experience with similar good equipped trader, is that if one drain lands the battle is decided. Sure you can do some dam and stuff but you won`t kill the trader. Only proff i can imagine being still very dangerous is nt, cause with their "cheater" debuffs they can ignore your nr and have mc way over the requ of their offensive tools. But nts are almost everyones nemesis, so not really a exception.

... and i`m far to lazy to state facts and numbers everyone should know
    Yeah because an NT needs to drain an NT right? GTH isn't enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucelee2003 View Post
    If someone thinks he can win by dirty tricks - he totally wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Damn nazis
    Edit: No Annarina we're not talking about you this time...

QFT

Especially at lower levels.

And wth, traders get the most powerful drains/debuffs for all cases imaginable, and you're complaining that there's too many of them?
    Techno "Calamite" Witch -- 220/22 soli crat
    Hbar -- 220/28 nano NT
    Electropanic -- 170/17 opi NT
    Insanenomore - 174/17 soli engi
    Darksmile -- 220/21 nano enf
    Drifting -- 150/8 nano MP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    got more, but don't remember their names

Bunch of crybabies lol.

You whining about
    Please leave the above out of future posts. It's not going to be accepted in this new forum, and I'd much rather we nipped it in the bud now rather than have to resort to infractions/warning's in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    This.
    Please add something constructive to a post, Avon/Sterva/whoever you are this week [] when you post to it. The most important thing in this forum is your opinion, so please make it known! I know fine well you can be verbose!

Only Shareida needs to completely shut down his opponent to be competetive.
    Please see my above message to you, Racatti, thanks!
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Fact of the matter is, that trader drains are already far too crippling when combined with the rest of a trader's toolset.

If anything if they remain at their current power, one debuff should remove all other trader debuffs on a target, or they should have a duration of about 20 seconds total.

If you dont kill a trader before they land a nano on you, you are very likely to be done for.
    Trader drains are instacast.

If alphas are going to be slowed down (which seem the general intent?) then theres no way in the world it makes sense to buff up trader drains.
    Never in a hurry, I'm just moving fast

Profs that are not going to be stopped with 1 drain are:

Adv ( especially ranged), pistol crat, soldier, fixer, enf, eng, NT, doc, agent, pre-drained shade, tigress MP and anyone else with MR up.

The rest is doable.
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild

The problem with traders having to worry about alphas in the first 15 seconds is that noone is going to kill them after that 15 seconds.

If Funcom gave us a way to take a trader down quad-trained and GTHed, traders wouldn't need to die so quickly.

If I can struggle to FA a trader after the first drain, I dread to think what people with 500 or more less AR have to put up with.

And that's exactly what a trader supposed to do if you failed to kill it fast.
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild

And that's exactly what a trader supposed to do if you failed to kill it fast.
    But but.... if you kill a trader in the first 15 seconds it's not fair!

Aren't you supposed to let them land all their stuff first so there's not a thing you can do against them?

if you look in auno at how many people play traders, you will find that there are really not that many in comparison to other profs. even less traders above lvl 200. I would recommend to anyone who whines about traders to actually level one to 200, let alone higher. unless you got alot of creds, alot of friends, or a lot of time, its gonna be very interesting. then, do some pvp with your new trader. you might find out that rolling face on keyboard doesn't work too well in this case. there is no "Q afk" fighting with a trader, you have to work for it. and yes, i know, all proffessions have their dynamics, but try playing a trader for more than 5 minutes before QQing about them being overpowered. they are not, you just happened to be caught off guard by a trader fully drained. encounter the same trader when they are unbuffed and unaware and you will probably be using them for wall decorations. its not all bad tho, what other prof can boast that they have zoned into a blood bath between two sides, and have had a half dozen toons of the opposing side stop, turn and special you all at the same time?

just my 2 cents (now i'm broke jerks )

edit: my bad, I've actually seen enfos on a number of occasions get this kind of attention too when entering into a metaphorical "barfight".
    Last edited by Worldofalts; Oct 17th, 2009 at 15:11:07.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast