Thread: Adventurer Perks

Adventurer Perks

Ferocity of Nature
    Opening up the special attacks to all Adventurer morphs would be a welcome change. (Do we really need an attack leet though?:P)

Removing the Freak Strength requirement on Gutting Blow will also be welcomed.

Outdoorsman & Mountaineer
    The execution time for the entire chain (Encase in Stone [Attack: 6s, Duration 30s] > Stoneworks [Attack 4s, Duration 25s] > Detonate Stoneworks [Attack 5s]) needs to be reduced these for these perks to be useful. I've never had any real success with it due to the slow execution time. As the proposal is to reduce the duration of the Stoneworks root, you really need to lower the attack time on Detonate Stoneworks.

The Call
    Thank you thank you thank you for proposing to fix Beckoning (removing damage change, adding data to all damage types). DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Scaling up Nocternal Strike would be welcome.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Glarawyn View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you for proposing to fix Beckoning (removing damage change, adding data to all damage types). DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
    /Signed and posted with forms in triplicate!

Btw, small change. Add 20 pistol to outdoorsman so it's equally viable for both melee and ranged advies...

Ferocity of Nature

All three perks working in any morph: AWESOME

Devour: The scaling shown in the .pdf is not currently what we get in the game.

* "Ferocity of Nature 1: Level 001: Health, recover 50% Damage: -29..-53" is actually (as far as I know, please correct/verify this anyone with a 150 adv) what a 150 adv gets (when the perk becomes available)

* "Ferocity of Nature 3: Level 200: Health, recover 75% Damage: -532..-1588" is rougly what we get at 220 (few qls higher on the same perk item i guess, 539 min dmg for 220s currently.)

* "Ferocity of Nature 3: Level 220: Health, recover 75% Damage: -961..-3785" is not available and probably requires... level 250? 300? ;p

Gutting Blow: Super-great that this perk will finally be practical, but does that max damage really need that large of a nerf?

Outdoorsman

Nothing much to say here until we see how/if Mountaineer will change. Is the change on the root duration from 25s to 5s a sign of things to come for all roots and snares? ;D

Shadowstalker

Shadow Killer: Is it losing the "Behind target" and "Affected by Blade of Night" requirements or were those left out because they are not changing?

The Call

Nocturnal Strike: Re-scaled damage. Nifty.

Beckoning: NO DONT DO IT!

The ability to coordinate a team's damage type is (so far) unique. Profession-defining even. The fact that the damagetype=0 thing is coming to all direct damage perks will make the proposed change an even sadder loss.

Making it yet another general damage buff is boring. It's a cop-out. And no matter what happens to Beckoning, stacking order on damage overrides will still need some fixin'. But a few simple changes there should be able to deal with the perceived issues with Beckoning

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    Btw, small change. Add 20 pistol to outdoorsman so it's equally viable for both melee and ranged advies...
    Fine. Add 20 1he to Edged Mastery too then. Pistol Master 10 = 200 pistol skill while Edged Mastery 10 = 180 1he skill currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Beckoning: NO DONT DO IT!
    Sorry Scum, it needs to happen as the damage change is horribly, horribly bugged.

If a morphed player is wearing Bracer of Recondite Flames, The Sacrificed Bracelet of Kay, running Poisonous bite, or any of the MA damage change nanos such as Fists of Stellar Harmony, here's what happens with Beckoning in it's current form:

1. Player is doing damage type specified by items above.
    2. Player does Cold damage for the duration of Beckoning.
    3. After Beckoning ends, player does their default damage type, not the damage type specified by the items/nanos above. The above items will still be equipped. The above nanos will still be running in the player's NCU.

The one shot and it's done fix is to change the way Beckoning works, and this fix is the best way to go.

The alternative fix is to change every damage change item/nano to have a pulser that continuously refreshing the damage type change flag, and fix the stacking order so that Beckoning's effect is "better" than every pulser. This fix is more complacted and would ultimately lead to more bugs ("You are currently executing a nano program, please wait.")

Stick with the proposed change FunCom. It's safe and will make most players happy.
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

sure its better for the pvm'ers
    for pvp i would rather keep current beckoning. its a very powerfull perk if you know how to use it.
    Thedevil 220/30 Adventurer
    My Collage

Noctunarl strife : ouch... lowering def check from evade clsc 100% to evade clsc 50%+dodge ranged 50% and raising damage of perks is nasty

Beckoning change is good. If we need to change dmg type we now have Poisonous bite and we can stack them now if we want. yes, there are some creative things you can do with it as it is but that mainly helps a few PvPers - the vast majority of us simply want to be able to help boost PvM team dmg w/o getting kicked by an MA team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Glarawyn View Post
    The alternative fix is to change every damage change item/nano to have a pulser that continuously refreshing the damage type change flag, and fix the stacking order so that Beckoning's effect is "better" than every pulser. This fix is more complacted and would ultimately lead to more bugs ("You are currently executing a nano program, please wait.")
    That is an alternative. Also a bit of a straw man.

How about another alternative. The sort of thing that should happen regardless of Beckoning's eventual fate.

First take all the damage override nanos out of the Damage Boost line, where they never belonged, and stick them and Beckoning over here in this already existing line.

Ordered something like this:
    Code:
    <Hypothetical New Effect for Beckoning that Only Executes on the User>
    Poisonous Bite (Higher? Lower?)
    Albtraum thingies
    MA fist buffs
    Enforcer elements
    Beckoning (Team Effect)
    Additionally, add a check to Beckoning so that it won't execute on anyone with Bracer of Recondite Flames or The Sacrificed Bracelet of Kay equipped.

Now the only real issue left would be what to do with Poisonous Bite, since some advs would surely like to be able to run it but still be able to use Beckoning on themselves without needing to recast Poisonous Bite, which would be the case with SelfBeckoning at the top of the list. Put Bite at the top and you don't get to use Beckoning unless you manually cancel Bite first -- something a lot of people would probably be somewhat content with. More complicated alternatives: Make Poisonous Bite refresh itself in NCU every thirty seconds or something. Or maybe make SelfBeckoning refresh Poisonous Bite if Bite was in NCU when SelfBeckoning executed.

AO needs more stuff like Beckoning, not less.

Well, the way I see the changes is:

Ferocity of Nature perks: Changes are nice in that all perks will be available. Devour won't land as well probably, but the loss should be negligible (the checks are sort of funny on live, so it lands on nearly everyone).

Outdoorsman: Maybe I'll finally get to use Detonate Stoneworks. Should be nice.

Beckoning: As seen above, a double-edged sword. PvMers like +DD, team pvp-ers like to get matching damage types, some uses in PvM too. I have one suggestion to help make both parties content, even though it's sort of a band-aid.

Remove Beckoning as it is. Add 2 new perks, call them The Beck and The Koning if you may. The Beck perk gives the team a damage boost similar to what it's suggested to be at the moment. The Koning perk changes the damage type of the team to cold damage.

Step 3: Profit? Obviously you could still screw up your damage type changers with the Koning perk but it would be voluntary, and you'd still get to flame the advys you team with for choosing to perk that perk.

Obviously Scum's suggestion is much more elaborate and elegant in that it's an all-encompassing change that actually would fix a broken mechanic, but it seems to be more demanding in terms of work as well.
    Last edited by eroz_c; Oct 17th, 2009 at 14:40:27.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

I hope they will remove the damage change from Beckoning, not that i hate making another damage type or something, but the problem is, i have more add melee damage equip than this perk adds damage, so always i am using this perk i make less damage which makes the perk useless for me most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by ElBoogy View Post
    I hope they will remove the damage change from Beckoning, not that i hate making another damage type or something, but the problem is, i have more add melee damage equip than this perk adds damage, so always i am using this perk i make less damage which makes the perk useless for me most of the time...
    There won't be damage change anymore, it will add to all damage for 30 sec.

Yeah i´ve seen that in the perk pdf file, but i know funcom good enough to believe everything only when it hits live server