Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 16th, 2009 - Mighty perk documentation

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfunk View Post
    Err does this mean it doesn't get added for perks using more exotic attack ratings (like nanoskills or tradeskills) ?
    Please read my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Add all def will ONLY be added if the perk is using dodge, duck or evade as defense skill.
    Perks using nanoskills or tradeskills as attack skill will attack against nano resist.

Perks using nanoskills or tradeskills as attack skill will attack against nano resist.
    On net, I suspect crats will now have a lower AR on their Psychology-based perks?
    "Still, I was fabulous, and it was a bloody good laugh"

BUREAUCRASHCOLDCOMFORTFONEBONE
    KISSNMAKEUPCASHORCHEQUEJELLYFUNK

Requires a Grenade weapon type to be wielded on demo, what complete ****.
    Devil Inside

I'll give you an example:

My agent uses a rifle.

If my agent uses a perk with 100% Attack modifier as attack skill:
    His rifle skill is 1500
    His add all off is 500
    My agent's attack rating is: 1500 + 500 = 2000
    Attack modifier = Attack Rating = 2000
    As you can see here, add all off will be added once if I use a perk with attack modifier as attack skill.

If my agent uses a perk with 100% Rifle as attack skill:
    His rifle skill is 1500
    His add all off is 500
    His total attack skill would be 2000 since add all off will be added when a weapon skill is used as attack skill.
    Yeah, I figured it out after I read it a fourth time. Thanks for clarifying agian though!
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by Kepitimer View Post
    Requires a Grenade weapon type to be wielded on demo, what complete ****.
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. You don't demolish things with, hmm, pistol.

Exclamation

Add all off will ONLY be added if the perk is using a weapon skill or weapon special as attack skill.
    Attack modifier is your attack rating.
    Attack rating = base weapon skill + add all off.

Add all def will ONLY be added if the perk is using dodge, duck or evade as defense skill.

I hope this made more sense.
    So, effectively:

1) All perks that are based on "Attack modifier" with a defense check that is evades/dodge/duck are nerfed. This is because AAO is no longer being counted twice as before, and AAD is still counted for defense, FOR THESE PERKS.

2) All perks that are based on "Weapon skill" with a defense check that is evades/dodge/duck are unchanged.

3) All perks that are based on "Attack modifier" with a defense check that is NOT evades/dodge/duck (usually nano resistance) are changed in performance.
    So extreme AAO profs lose some chance of landing the perk, but will prob. land it anyways in all situations where they could land it before.
    Extreme AAD profs. lose some chance of avoiding the the perk, and will definitely get hit in situations where they could avoid hits before.

4) All perks that are based on "Weapon skill" with a defense check that is NOT evades/dodge/duck (usually nano resistance) are enhanced in performance.

Conclusion, looking at the overall picture, this change is an enhancement on perks that check against nano resistance, but at the same time a nerf to evades profs (which are also AAD based profs). The net result is: CERTAIN PERKS (=checking NR for defense) WILL LAND MORE OFTEN ON EVERYONE and CERTAIN PROFESSIONS (=AAD based defenses) WILL GET HIT MORE OFTEN.

So, fixers are given some luv (=FA) and then get nerfed (=getting hit more often).
    MAs are given some luv (parry and riposte) and then get nerfed (=getting hit more often).

Also, contrary to what some would think, now that defense against NR defense perks is nerfed, mongo rage (which is atrox specific) becomes EVEN MORE USEFUL.

My prediction on the changes announced so far - atrox enfos are going to become even more dominant in PvP, nano casting profs will become even more powerful.
    Last edited by sturmalfar; Oct 16th, 2009 at 21:27:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9000 View Post
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. You don't demolish things with, hmm, pistol.
    as long as you want to be literal (which imo is ridiculous in a game set 30,000 years in the future where people can't permanently die), the name of two of the perks are 'install explosive device' and 'install notum depletion device'. I've never seen anyone 'install' anything with a grenade launcher.
    teh fool :: Raynefists :: playing since beta 3 (sort of)

I have to say, nice!!!

and yeah enfo will be the one mostly used now :P

i still need to find the time to actually sit down and read for longer than 2 mins without being interrupted with the honeydew.pdf file my wife throws at me
    Styles9999<220/21/50 MA-Main-
    Proud member of Obsidian Order!
    All accounts closed as of 04-28-10

Quote Originally Posted by Raynefists View Post
    as long as you want to be literal (which imo is ridiculous in a game set 30,000 years in the future where people can't permanently die), the name of two of the perks are 'install explosive device' and 'install notum depletion device'. I've never seen anyone 'install' anything with a grenade launcher.
    OK, fair enough. But perkline buffs grenade anyways, so...

ALL HAIL MEANS!! (and colleagues)
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

GIVE ME MORE and NERF EVERYBODY ELSE.
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfunk View Post
    On net, I suspect crats will now have a lower AR on their Psychology-based perks?
    They just swapped around some psychology skill and altered the defense check. The perks are still completely and utterly worthless.

Besides, you will need to max out Psychology to even have a chance in hell at landing it against a 75% NR check, which is impossible against most people anyway even if you do max it out.

I really hope the grenade wep requirement on demo gets reconsidered.... As is it's complete crap; considering the complete and utter lack of viable pvp grenade weps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Ranged professions enjoy a significant advantage everywhere and more so against pet professions...
    Note: Calling me an "incompetant ass-monkey", while admitedly is extremely amusing, does nothing to quantify what exactly, if anything, you would like to see changed in your/someone else's nanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlath View Post
    I really hope the grenade wep requirement on demo gets reconsidered.... As is it's complete crap; considering the complete and utter lack of viable pvp grenade weps.
    You are aware that there is incoming specials nerf as well? Maybe grenade won't be a crap in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9000 View Post
    You are aware that there is incoming specials nerf as well? Maybe grenade won't be a crap in that case.
    For once, I hope your right. :P
    ...Ranged professions enjoy a significant advantage everywhere and more so against pet professions...
    Note: Calling me an "incompetant ass-monkey", while admitedly is extremely amusing, does nothing to quantify what exactly, if anything, you would like to see changed in your/someone else's nanos.

We shall see

I can certainly see how many of these changes will help balance identified problems in the pvp areas, but there seems to be a large number of nerfs that will make it more difficult in the pvm game, especially for those who prefer to solo. I would like to see a lot more attention/analysis to what happens outside the pvp area. If the impacts are as bad as they appear to be based on these write-ups for shades, MA, Fixers, and others expect to see another exodus from these professions and from the game. Mostly by those who have a focus wider than the pvp aspect.

Perhaps there isn't enough information in the write-ups, but it looks like another train wreck on the way .

So instead of finetuning things slowly you are going to change EVERYthing?

I wonder who will end up at the bottom of the food chain this time.

Personally I'm not prepared to remake any of my chars to be able to make things work. If you **** them up I quit. And I know I'm far the only one feeling this way.

Tread carefully (not that you ever listen) or you will kill the game, literally.

Wonder why noone has mentioned it yet...

Keeper are death, death!
    Andvord, 220 Adv (retired)
    Knekt, 220/30/70 Keep (retired)
    Haavarst, 220/23 Crat
    Delifix 217 Fix
    Delivio 215 Shade
    Dilek 174 Doc
    Delisol 165 Sol
    Clown 126 Trader TL4 twink project
    Hannibal 22 Enf

Quote Originally Posted by ylnotixe View Post
    I can certainly see how many of these changes will help balance identified problems in the pvp areas, but there seems to be a large number of nerfs that will make it more difficult in the pvm game, especially for those who prefer to solo. I would like to see a lot more attention/analysis to what happens outside the pvp area. If the impacts are as bad as they appear to be based on these write-ups for shades, MA, Fixers, and others expect to see another exodus from these professions and from the game. Mostly by those who have a focus wider than the pvp aspect.

Perhaps there isn't enough information in the write-ups, but it looks like another train wreck on the way .
    It has been said over and over again that the concept of solo pvp is to be left up to the chances as all balancing will be done exclusively around team situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    So instead of finetuning things slowly you are going to change EVERYthing?

I wonder who will end up at the bottom of the food chain this time.

Personally I'm not prepared to remake any of my chars to be able to make things work. If you **** them up I quit. And I know I'm far the only one feeling this way.

Tread carefully (not that you ever listen) or you will kill the game, literally.
    Finetuning didn't exactly work out in the past, did it now?

And to translate your post for you, what you're basically saying is that you don't want to change a single perk on any of your characters, should one of these other perklines become viable, instead of the ones you've locked yourself into now because that was the only option at the time. So, you might as well quit right now, because it might become a good idea for you to have different perks.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

We shall see II

Actually, I was attempting to integrate concerns over LACK OF PLAYERS with the likely impact of these changes on a significant portion of the remaining players in the game. It is unlikely that the focus on teams and pvp at the expense of the rest of the game has no correlation to the dramatic reduction in the number of players. In the 8 or so years I have been playing, I have personally convinced close to 30 people to play. Most left precisely because of the increased teaming requirements and the enforced pvp. (the rest left mainly due to the absolute boredom of having to camp items but that is another issue). What these changes seem to do is redouble the focus on the ever narrowing path of teams and pvp. If that is the case, just a simple comment that Funcom should anticipate yet another reduction in the number of players and further concertration of those remaining professions into fewer professions.

I will reiterate that Funcom would be well served to consider the impacts on soloist (pvp and pvm) and on the profession's pvm capabilities. Failure to do so may well result in a further deterioration in the business aspect of the game.

Not saying not to balance for pvp, just to balance in a manner that doesn't further unbalance the pvm and solo. I can think of many ways, other than nerfing someone, to accomplish the goal.
    Last edited by ylnotixe; Oct 17th, 2009 at 01:58:36.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast