Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 9th, 2009 - Parry and Riposte - Back from the dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Kintaii (unlike myself) did not see this as a lost cause and continued to work on acceptable solutions to these unused skills and has put together with the rest of the team a good alternative to the old systems for Parry and Riposte that will allow us to bypass all the "old" reasons for not activating these actions.
    This had been asked for years on prof forums but no devs go there. WTB prof program back with someone at FC that go take a look on those forums.

PS: Kintaii is my god.
    blah

There are halloween goodies popping up on test today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    If you think MA's are fast enough to grab bullets from the air then I give up on any kind of immersion right now
    Nanobots, dude! We can already grow to 5x our normal size, jump 100 feet in the air, swim in lava for only 25hp damage, and catching bullets bothers you?

Im not talking about the CODE in place for parry. I'm talking about kIntaii's logic for why melee's can parry ranged weapons.
    Oh please you spoiled brat. Melee is teh suckfest in AO.. Parry/Riposte working is the first good news for melee yet. Just please if you are going to cry go do it in a corner so I don't have to watch someone as respectable as you whine.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
    Still no sign of that yellow bellied PUMPKINFACE!!!
    So anxious, so eager, so full of vim and vigor.

No worries, young ones - I'll be changing that soon enough... Hehehehehahahahaha!
    Something wicked this way comes...

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    Nanobots, dude! We can already grow to 5x our normal size, jump 100 feet in the air, swim in lava for only 25hp damage, and catching bullets bothers you?
    Of course. If melee's can catch bullets with their hands, then I should be able to side step every single hit they try to do with melee weapons seeing as melee is 1000 times slower than a bullet.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

wow... here you get your this-week-lol:

LOL

why?
    - no words about Dark Ruins (fwm 11.09.)

- no words about the balancing (fwm 02.10.) - realy dont know why you always posting things and wont do it - training for a political?

- "You all drew attention to some areas we may not have thought of...so thanks again." - oh, sure, forgot, we are working out your new engine :-p

- parry/riposte - WHY write about it IF you haven't a result/tested it - WHY YOU ALWAYS WRITE ABOUT SOMETHING YOU WANNA DO SOMETIMES RATHER THAN WRITE ABOUT YOUR ALREADY WRITTEN PROMISES?

- "The engine team is making solid progress and less than two months in we are already seeing statel, ground and the beginning of character rendering." (fwm 31.07) - wanna see your character rendering results now

- "The upcoming weeks should also bring the "Sponsorship system" to the Live servers where the kind act of mentoring new players and ecouraging them to become full members of the AO world will result in a reward of free game-time." (fwm 25.09.) - hm... upcoming weeks, now 2 weeks done. where is your sponsorship system to rescue DNW? this week again, some ppl left...

you got more construction sites than you can handle, and you open every week additional ones. dont understand why first finish one before open so much more...

in my opinion, your friday with means has failed in its objective...

Quote Originally Posted by Aethyrguard View Post
    Oh please you spoiled brat. Melee is teh suckfest in AO.. Parry/Riposte working is the first good news for melee yet. Just please if you are going to cry go do it in a corner so I don't have to watch someone as respectable as you whine.
    I'm also not talking about balance. I never said it was OP for melee to get this. I'm just saying this mechanic is now stretching the logic a bit thin.

For the record, I have just as many melee characters as the next guy.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pumpkinhead View Post

No worries, young ones - I'll be changing that soon enough... Hehehehehahahahaha!
    Joooo gonna getz jour asss kicked again!! Muhahahahahaha!
    Shamen 220/30/70 soli/solja
    Izgimmerjoo 220/30/70 nm nt
    Roycegracie 200/30/68 opi ma
    keeledjoo 171/23 atrox/advy
    fixsham 150/16 opi/fix
    shamsenf 95/10 atrox
    shamensmp 86/9 opi
    shamography 213 engie tradeskiller
    samydavisjnr 116/10 trader

TSW
    Dragon "Isham" hammer/chaos/shottie on Daemon
    Dragon "Starzy" assault rifle/blade on cerberus

Fantastically underwhelming.

We just wait for week after week for some kind of a hint when the new engine will be out after being promised it for ... years? Or some kind of balancing where everything will be changed effectively STOPPING the entire population from twinking when they hit 220 for something that might be completeley irrelevant in 2 weeks. The entire marketing effort hingeing on these 2 changes and the population dwindling. We don't have the figures you have but I can tell you players are disappearing fast and new blood isn't arriving.

Great news on Parry and Riposte though, congratulations to whoever has the spare IP to get these skills up and commiserations to anyone that needs specials to kill melee. Add melee advies and MAs to the list of OP professions?

When even a strategy document for balancing can't be delivered on time it does make me think there is a lot of investment in the rest of the vaporware that's been promised.

Im here to help!

Of course. If melee's can catch bullets with their hands, then I should be able to side step every single hit they try to do with melee weapons seeing as melee is 1000 times slower than a bullet.
    Yeah but the melee wielder is actively pitting his nanobots against yours during combat. But once the bullet leaves the barrel it's harder to actively control with nanobots, so that puts melee and ranged on a level playing field.

Nanobots. Explaining away sci-fi inconsistencies since 29856.

My God, its full of stars!
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    Nanobots. Explaining away sci-fi inconsistencies since 29856.
    Yeah I guess I'll just have to learn to live with that
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Ok, I'm pretty much in shock here.

Parry and Riposte have been on the "save your breath, they will never be useful" list forever.
    IP Dump. Permabroken. No, they WERE the list. The whole list.

This is love for the melee classes. Like, real love.
    I didn't even think you liked us. All this time...
    I hardly know.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Aleah, MA :: Zhoie, Doctor :: Scarlett, Soldier
    Neutral, (former) President of Art of War

Dipping my toe back in, thinking of returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    For the record, this is an exploit I am totally cool with people using. :P

Kintaii

It's to my understanding that Parry will now behave as some sort of combination of keeper's normal attack blockers and engineer's special attack blockers. if this does behave as such, then said blockers in conjunction with parry would make some professions almost invincible.
    to provide balance between the two, having said blockers in your NCU should disable parry's ability to perform such task.

also, if parry would block special attacks, I'd like to request that the engineer's 7x TEAM blockers to be removed from the game and have the dust brigade nano reward replaced with a much better pet heal and/or Mech/Turret heal nano.
    the current "top" pet heal is in sufficient to keep people from killing our dogs and an engineer, being best suited for mechanical things, should be able to heal mechs and turrets.

Thankyou for your time and consideration.
    --Xyphos
    (AKA Bitbucket, 220 Neutral Engineer on RK1)
    Last edited by Xyphos; Oct 9th, 2009 at 17:00:23.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

So much emo in this thread already, including people that never post coming out of the woodwork just to whine and moan that they didn't get what they want when they wanted it. For crying out loud people get a grip.

Good stuff here, keep it up guys.

I am suddenly given to remembering something about a test once done, with an engineer on test, with melee weapons equipped, that was near unkillable, because of the sheer number of blockers/specialblockers/parry/riposte..

I hope that this doesn't end up being similar..

Amonette 220 Soldier Nyrec 220 Agent Mekon 220 Crat Mekamara 220 Engineer
    ────────────────────────────────────────────
    Dark Front (Because the sun shines outta my....)

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    also, if they block special attacks, I'd like to request that the engineer's 7x TEAM blockers to be removed from the game and have the dust brigade nano reward replaced with a much better pet heal and/or Mech/Turret heal nano
    Excellent suggestion. Pretty much anything in place of the very OP 7x team blockers would be most welcome. I hope to see something on that in the proposed changes that are still being hammered out.

Will parry and riposte work with MP creation melee weapons?

Yes, I want to know if a Zset MP can use parry too, thanks.
    Prynxkjui 220 NM MP / Prynjunior 220 Soli Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Pumpkinhead View Post

i still have part of your skull stuck on my boots from last years STOMPING!!
    Atlantean (Rubi-Ka 1)
    Deathkillz 220/24 Soldier
    Fixstar 220/18 Fixer
    Deathealz 220/18 Doctor
    Deathchillz 187/12 Bureaucrat
    Deathskillz 147/3 Engineer

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast