Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 9th, 2009 - Parry and Riposte - Back from the dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    *Brews Anarrina a nice cup of Tea, hands her a get well soon card and gives her a hug*

BTW: Anarrina, how come you lost your Ark colours?
    Thank you. Its a cosmetic issue with some forum permissions.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

While i like the Parry Riposte getting fixed part of this I have to ask where the original concept came from. Another thread talking about where the terms are from has made me realize that more 2h weapons have parry riposte for skills than 1h weapons. Given that these actions are based in RL on lighter faster weapons or Martial Arts moves exactly how did we get to 2h weapons having both of these.

As a trained sword fighter (yeah weird hobby) in both 1h and 2h version I actually do know that a 2h sword can parry but seldom anything close to a riposte can be performed. Further that parry is at the expense of a normal attack. In 1h weapons it is possible to parry and general make a thrust or slash (when the parry sets it up) that could be considered a riposte.

Have always been told that the difference between a riposte and your "next normal" attack is the speed at which you can execute it. As such a riposte was always fast and your next normal attack would not be delayed.

Example from movies I can think of is Conan movies. Where the swords are hitting and blow after blow is parried. Then in the Conan gets a kill move he parries and the guy has the "i know I am dead face" and the kill blow comes. In all those scenes the kill blow is not immediate and would be considered the "next normal attack" and not a riposte. That is how I think of 2h swords and these moves. Now in the same movies the small little thief dude uses large daggers and parries the blows and strikes a killing blow all inside a second or faster. That is a good example of a parry/riposte combo using 1he weapons.

Otherwise besides wanting to know where their concept comes from I like it.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    All in all I'd say The Gap & Nights Dawn Triology are amongst my 8 favorite books ever, and 8 of my most valuable possessions
    Funny thing, considering there's a thread somewhere on the se forums discussing how SL is based loosely on Night's Dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    However, on a side note... id like to add that duck and covering behind crates is a great way to avoid being sniped. Its a pretty low tech and cheap solution to being shot. ...
    ... except that you might want to Google, "Jeremy Clarkson Guns Documentary" where you will see demonstrations of how bullets just go right through cars ... so what is a crate meant to do? Do you maybe mean a 20' container?

Quote Originally Posted by Klod9000 View Post
    There are broken crap in this game that needs more attention then parry/riposte and fixing some of that would help all professions, not only melee ones (who got way too much love lately anyways).
    I agree. Add triple AS self-target-only tigress so Klod can be happy, then get back to balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    As a trained sword fighter (yeah weird hobby) in both 1h and 2h version I actually do know that a 2h sword can parry but seldom anything close to a riposte can be performed. Further that parry is at the expense of a normal attack. In 1h weapons it is possible to parry and general make a thrust or slash (when the parry sets it up) that could be considered a riposte.

Have always been told that the difference between a riposte and your "next normal" attack is the speed at which you can execute it. As such a riposte was always fast and your next normal attack would not be delayed.
    There is only one direction, one force to a good cut with a katana, it takes but a small deflection with the forte before continuing the motion with the foible as a stab or slice.
    As for 2hb, that is block with one end while getting the other in position for a strike, fluid sequence of motions.

My favorite is hand to hand with things like, for example, block with the same arm across their body, as you grab the pro-offered arm, use the other arm to seize them by the nape of the neck to bring knee up and the face down to have a greeting. That is as close to one motion as damn it. With parry and riposte.

WTB way to remove scars from hands

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshey View Post
    There is only one direction, one force to a good cut with a katana, it takes but a small deflection with the forte before continuing the motion with the foible as a stab or slice.
    As for 2hb, that is block with one end while getting the other in position for a strike, fluid sequence of motions.

My favorite is hand to hand with things like, for example, block with the same arm across their body, as you grab the pro-offered arm, use the other arm to seize them by the nape of the neck to bring knee up and the face down to have a greeting. That is as close to one motion as damn it. With parry and riposte.

WTB way to remove scars from hands
    A Katana is a very unique sword as it can be used 2h prefered or 1h if combat calls for it.

I was thinking 2h as in a wing sized AI sword.
    Lheann

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

Been through with the broom and mop. I left the muffins, in case Creacal got hungry.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    I was thinking 2h as in a wing sized AI sword.
    Put it down to notum, symbiots and nano bots with a dash of diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshey View Post
    Put it down to notum, symbiots and nano bots with a dash of diagram.
    nice diagram... but I can honestly say I have never used that move in combat... I prefer the knock the blade to the side and up then rotate the blade and slash the gut move ..... spilling the guts type of move.... since all the refereed forms of sword fighting would disable your arm even for a small hit I have always chosen to drive the blade away with force and then attack... but that is style more than function and that diagram is a good example of a parry/riposte with 2h weapon. though I still think the number of those moves is far less with 2h than with 1h. thus the original question of why is parry/riposte most present on 2h weapons vice 1h weapons in the game.
    Lheann

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

as a master of shaolin kung fu under the tutiledge of chan priest shi de chao , and having learned both the single handed and double handed staff, the sword and saber, and the swo handed sword miao dao, all weapons are capable of parry and reposte.
    FEAR ME I AM COMING FOR YOU
    - the anal avenger catcrab
    "i am pregnant with catcrab's babies"
    "catcrab has destroyed me. mentally, physically, spiritually. i don't want to live anymore."
    Means: catcrab is awesome

Then you could demonstrate using a wire garrotte?

i am sorry, whats a wire garrote? do you mean the iron wire form tit sin kuen from hung gar of wong fei hong lineage? i am sorry but it is debatable whether hung kuen is actually shaolin, or a complete fabrication designed to promote the anti qing rebels.
    FEAR ME I AM COMING FOR YOU
    - the anal avenger catcrab
    "i am pregnant with catcrab's babies"
    "catcrab has destroyed me. mentally, physically, spiritually. i don't want to live anymore."
    Means: catcrab is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    i am sorry, whats a wire garrote? do you mean the iron wire form tit sin kuen from hung gar of wong fei hong lineage? i am sorry but it is debatable whether hung kuen is actually shaolin, or a complete fabrication designed to promote the anti qing rebels.
    The wire garrote is actually a form of aboriginal entertainment. The process is simple, find a buffalo with it's tail tied to it's hind leg.

You slap it's rear and it goes like stink, howling since it thinks someone has nabbed it's poor tail.

What you're actually thinking of a wide carrot.

Talking R&P ftw

Great news, Means.

Good too see that you ppl at FC display the creativity to bring these two important skills back to life, and give us MAs, above all, sum lub. Those of us that has the slightest idea of RK4 Martial Arts knows for sure that an MA w/o parry/riposte is a pathetic thing.

As a curiosity - According to the char stats at auno.org, the MA prof represent the largest group in average of lvls and also lower levels. MA is a great first toon prof, but has a tendency to lose interest at mid-high levels to docs, soljas and advies. I hope P&R will make ppl bring their lowbie MAs back to life and perhaps find their toon interesting enough to run to >200.

To those of you constantly whining about the graphics engine: Do you seriously believe that _all_ employees of FC can be assigned to that project? That nothing else can happen until the engine is released? Lemme point out that it is not the g. quality that make ppl quit AO. If anything does, it's the complexity of profs, functions and items, that makes the threshold too high for certain new ppl. The same complexity keep ppl hanging around for years. So do new play fields ofc.

A new g.engine will be a boost for bringing in new ppl for sure, but for us other, at least me, new functionality (e.g parry/riposte) and new play fields (e.g. Dark Ruins) ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    In-Game Mail:

This week was a milestone for AO. We got to see the huge moment where the first mail (with an ITEM!) was sent and received by another player. The first item sent was the iconic foam-finger that Macrosun uses as his head on TestLive. Go Macrosun! ...and yes...I am a horrible boss...please come back to work on Monday. Screenshot complete with coder-graphics is below!
    Are plans being made to implement an anti-spam system for the mail system? Because every other mmo that has in-game mail gets gold/credit spammers sending mails.

Quote Originally Posted by Theribal View Post
    Are plans being made to implement an anti-spam system for the mail system? Because every other mmo that has in-game mail gets gold/credit spammers sending mails.
    Best solution I can think of would be to implement an Auto-report system, someone gets 5 reports and they get their mail sending privileges removed for between a week and a month.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Or make it work wiht the chat filter? That could maybe work?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    So, you can imagine my absolute joy about being repeatedly woken from much needed rest by emails sent to my cell phone generated by highly justified complaints about the level of personal attacks in this thread.
    Gee. So many cry babies in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    You forgot NSD lines. But no surprise there!
    You mean, non-spammable, balanced version of highly nerfed 160% NR def check, non-insta NSD (both removable, even in fight)? Or perhaps NSD proc, that lands like, never and requires LE10 research line finished?

No surprise, true. The fact is, they are all fine (except maybe the proc part - it should land more often).
    Last edited by Klod9000; Oct 13th, 2009 at 13:39:57.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    yes, cause its only been said for the Nth time, they're working on a website redesign. and we all know, it takes juar a few minutes to totally redesign and impliment a brand new site with tons of existing content.
    You must have come from the same school of though as my bosses, who recently decided we've got to "re-focus, re-design, and re-brand" our 500+ page website in 2.5 months...oh and we don't' have an new direction yet...and the devs will be gone 3 of those weeks.

Dude, in this movie, he is a priest and only priests I know from AO are MPs. MPs should be modeled to act like this guy. That priest dewd is a ranged user that can parry stuff with ranged weapons (pistols?), so I see no reason why ranged users in AO couldn't parry stuff as well.
    Just a point of clarification. MP's are not priests, we are deities.

Gee. So many cry babies in this thread.
    How dare you expect grown men and women to act like adults. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast