Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 2nd, 2009 - A week of daring escapes

Hopefully this is just work in progress and far from the end result.

The bumpmaps look horrible, especially with the current state of LOD.

The lighting is wrong, way to saturated.
    The sun might look yellow/orange, but it dosn't change the material of things, so please tone down the color saturation on the lightsource.

Also, the shadows are way to pronounced, rarely if ever do you get hard-line shadows from sunlight, so some scattering of the shadows would be good!

Truthfully, as it stands right now, I would say Ogre was way superior.
    And just throwing automaticly generated bumpmaps onto something really dosnt make it look better unless its done right, and done so with intent from the very beginning.
    Clearly the textures in AO is made without any such intent.

They probably cheated in bumpmaps without actually having them, adding depth with artistic eyes instead. Cheating is considered a good thing as it reduces resourcedrain, thats good.
    Infact thats exactly what bumpmaps are, cheats to add geometry. But seeing as AO's textures are allready cheated to add depth with color information.... To create a good bumpmap you need to create a high-poly version of the current geometry. This would require a COMPLETE workover of EVERY single rock and surface in AO.
    I would recommend strongly against adding bumpmaps on the current ground textures in AO seeing as all it would accomplish would be making it look like plastic.

I think ive said this before, but ill repeat myself. DirectX is just not as good as OpenGL, it's merely easier, and you will pay dearly for being lazy with the quality of the end-result.

If nothing else, _PLEASE_ scale down the value of the bumpmaps by at least 0.5 and remove specularity from them.

I do hope I will be proven wrong.
    Last edited by Shinebox; Oct 2nd, 2009 at 21:58:48.

BTW, enough of pics, heck, enough of video clips as well. Give us several working tech demos of the new engine.

Worm, get a new monitor already, its not that dark. (Oddly I predicted you bitching it was.)

Don't forget our planet has 2 suns.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

shiny.

shiiiiiiny.

shiny.

wtb catgirl costumes.
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

All hail MS!
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild
    Trader - Nerfed Professional

Quote Originally Posted by castaras View Post
    shiny.

shiiiiiiny.

shiny.

wtb catgirl costumes.
    Go outside look at some rocks, see if they actually are shiny... No they are not.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shinebox View Post
    Go outside look at some rocks, see if they actually are shiny... No they are not.. :P
    I am one of those people who doesn't care whether rocks IRL are shiny or not. I just like shiny sparkly things. They distract me qui-ooooooh! sparklies!
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

Quote Originally Posted by vallikat View Post
    I think you may be right. It does seem to me that Halloween got patched in a little later last year than we've seen in the past. Not by a large difference I don't think, but for some reason I do believe that Halloween last year seemed shorter than in prior years.

Although, Uncle Pumpkinhead usually does start haunting the forums early in the month. In fact I'm surprised he hasn't surfaced yet this year.
    I thought so. Means was new to GD iirc, and probably pretty busy though, so we'll let it slide just this once. :P Hopefully this year will be longer. And yes, it's already the 2nd, we only have 29 days left! Wtb UPH forum haunts already! :P

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    WTB AO Halloween from October 15 - November 14, AO Christmas from December 15-January 14, AO Anniversary from June 15 - July 14.

They went to the effort to make the stuff we collect during those times of the year. Why not let it exist for a month before never being seen again?
    For this most wonderous and spectacular suggestion, I award you 5 free internets! But really though, you are right. They put their effort into making (mostly) new content every holiday, let us enjoy it longer. Maybe it should last as long as it does when people decorate for IRL holidays. Everywhere I personally have ever lived, people start decorating for major holidays at the beginning of the month. This year, the grocery store even had pumpkins half-way through September. WTB!
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    -Buddha

^ Bump for this ^

Hi Means thanks for the screenshots, just one thing that still concerns me, is that field of view problem still going to exist ? As you can see the textures turn blurry half way then again after that.

Also view distance on npc's seem short compared to other items in view like billboards ect.

Thanks for continuing effort with FWM posts every week, it's a great start to the weekend.
    Talita

̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.

Catgurls....opi catgurlz.....mmmmmmmmmm......
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Thanks...I did need a laugh :P
    I still think so....the problem is...now i cant whine too much , or i will look silly.

Omg what have i done.

Anyone notice that in this pic the doors are out of possition? lol.
    On the other hand, it looks great, are the shadows going to move as the light moves?
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinebox View Post
    Hopefully this is just work in progress and far from the end result.

The bumpmaps look horrible, especially with the current state of LOD.

The lighting is wrong, way to saturated.
    The sun might look yellow/orange, but it dosn't change the material of things, so please tone down the color saturation on the lightsource.

Also, the shadows are way to pronounced, rarely if ever do you get hard-line shadows from sunlight, so some scattering of the shadows would be good!

Truthfully, as it stands right now, I would say Ogre was way superior.
    And just throwing automaticly generated bumpmaps onto something really dosnt make it look better unless its done right, and done so with intent from the very beginning.
    Clearly the textures in AO is made without any such intent.

They probably cheated in bumpmaps without actually having them, adding depth with artistic eyes instead. Cheating is considered a good thing as it reduces resourcedrain, thats good.
    Infact thats exactly what bumpmaps are, cheats to add geometry. But seeing as AO's textures are allready cheated to add depth with color information.... To create a good bumpmap you need to create a high-poly version of the current geometry. This would require a COMPLETE workover of EVERY single rock and surface in AO.
    I would recommend strongly against adding bumpmaps on the current ground textures in AO seeing as all it would accomplish would be making it look like plastic.

I think ive said this before, but ill repeat myself. DirectX is just not as good as OpenGL, it's merely easier, and you will pay dearly for being lazy with the quality of the end-result.

If nothing else, _PLEASE_ scale down the value of the bumpmaps by at least 0.5 and remove specularity from them.

I do hope I will be proven wrong.
    geez.. it took 4 pages before someone who knows better than the devs to make final-review comments over a couple of prelimenary screen shots.

least thats finally out of the way.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Balancing

This week we have had Metaing in the office for lengthy balance discussions with the entire team. After purchasing new helmets these discussions will continue all next week. Next Friday we will be posting a document containing all the proposed changes to existing perks and descriptions of new ones. This will give us all a chance to examine these changes in detail before implementation in the coming weeks.
    I am expecting Mongo Rage to be completely changed Losing that cripple for AR improvements to many professions will do much to helping AO. I do have a lengthy suggestion involving breeds and the genome perklines being worked on, but it is difficult to find a reasonable balance within it so I feel your pain.

I also trust the nerfing/fixing of nanos will be soon to follow though? I am quite sure you are at least aware of the Obtainable Power of traders at all levels (there is a hint in my sig )

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    ...now i cant whine too much , or i will look silly.
    Almost siggy material.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Almost siggy material.
    You know if there are so many changes as you could assume from a phrase "publishing a document" , i don't really know how anyone can expect to be able to even pretend to constructively comment on that without seeing things in action on test server.

Skipping the 'omg don't nerf me' comments but i think most of us alrady expect to be little butthurt about *something* in the whole balancing.

Next time, antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, forced to max :| and higher drawdistance for detailtextures....
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by lordran View Post
    Doh, for the 1000th time.... nothing, their team is still the same.

Good work on the GFX, Very nice.
    Not everyone spend hours everyday reading forums. If I have time, I play the game. Not seen the question and at the same time not seen any answers for it. Doh...
    Neverest 220 NM MP PVP setup

Angry

removed
    Last edited by Means; Oct 4th, 2009 at 07:04:47. Reason: trolling

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Skipping the 'omg don't nerf me' comments but i think most of us alrady expect to be little butthurt about *something* in the whole balancing.
    Keeper?

WTS 20000 extra max health on my enforcer btw

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast