Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 2nd, 2009 - A week of daring escapes

Tree shadows appear to be living entities that consume buildings. Kind of harsh. Also, the ground in the new engine / 2nd pic seems to be under the influence of a rogue sine wave. The effect is there in the original but much more pronounced now.

Good stuff, screens showing promise and I can't wait to see the proposed perk changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuriae View Post
    Does this mean we have to wait until the 23rd for the Halloween patch? I would hope we have more than 1 week to wreak havoc on that scourge of Rubi-Ka, Uncle Pumpkinhead (and rake in all the free phatz). The whole fun of Halloween on RK is, of course, wearing those phatz all month long
    We've never had a month lead up to Halloween in the past, it has always been in the neighborhood of a week prior. Usually we get a few days to a week after as well though.

Random question: How does last weeks layoffs in Funcom affect the AO team?
    Neverest 220 NM MP PVP setup

Quote Originally Posted by Neverest View Post
    Random question: How does last weeks layoffs in Funcom affect the AO team?
    Doh, for the 1000th time.... nothing, their team is still the same.

Good work on the GFX, Very nice.
    Lordran 220/30/70 Soldier, Equip

Enfoosz 200/22/42 Enfo
    Fixxet 170/21/42 Fixer
    Nanolin 165/15/42 NT
    Ilonta 150/18/36 Doctor, equip

just like to say thanks for deciding to post the changes before actually patching.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Next Friday we will be posting a document containing all the proposed changes to existing perks and descriptions of new ones.
    Means, with the mention of new perks/perk lines. Does this mean we will get more perk points to spend or consider giving more?
    Or more along the lines of more choices to spend current perk points on?
    Big "T"
    President of Nocturnal Fear

Cool, bulleted lists of the big picture <3 Photos from the new engine <3 Can't wait and good job on the conversion overall, seeing as it is stabilizing now that means the transition to the new codebase/compiler is complete or just getting there?

Was that using HDR, Bloom? I ask because I know some things don't like anti-aliasing when those are running. I always force override that option on HDR + AAx16 if possible

Quote Originally Posted by Rewo View Post
    We've never had a month lead up to Halloween in the past, it has always been in the neighborhood of a week prior. Usually we get a few days to a week after as well though.
    I was over-exaggerating of course, though sadly, last year indeed was about a week prior I believe. But if memory serves me correctly, I remember the year before last having the update at least 2 weeks ahead. Maybe it was a fluke, or maybe Sil did things differently, or maybe I just don't remember as well as I would like to think I do. Either way, It would be nice to have them sooner!
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read, or who said it, even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    -Buddha

Actually my real question is; Considering the extreme difference in polygon counts between AO and AoC; What is the tested frame per second even in it's unfinished form? I would assume that barring some type of bug it would be like jumpin jack flash fast, or, be like you got struck by lightning!

Shinies!

I guess I'm one of the few who prefers the "old" screenshots. The new ones are a bit too dark to see stuff imo.

But as long as the game will run smoothly, I don't care what the hell it looks like.
    Stars "Wormx" Monkey 220/30/70 3rd opi fix on RK1, 7th on all dimensions to hit AI30 Thanks for all the raids : )
    DanceMeTo "Summerglow" TheEndOfLove 220/27/67 Opi Fixer. Yes, I like fixers.
    LifeIs "Winterglow" NoCabaret 150/14/42 Opi Fixer. Waiting for more hits with the nerfbat.
    Doctor "Wormx6" Panda 220/20/55 Atrox doctor, dinged 220 off Thrak key quest : )
    Mr "Ceilingcat" Monkey 220/23/52 Soli MP, hiding in the ceiling, watching...
    Too many other alts to list here...

Quote Originally Posted by wormx View Post
    Shinies!

I guess I'm one of the few who prefers the "old" screenshots. The new ones are a bit too dark to see stuff imo.

But as long as the game will run smoothly, I don't care what the hell it looks like.
    I can see why you'd say you prefer the old vs the new. Look at the sky itself. Also take in to consideration that they are showing us lighting tests not full final form. When the new version is finished, I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you will prefer it's new form.

@Means - make the code monkeys give us a nice settings page for AO in the future and then give it to us to show off the graphic bars and sliders for settings with min/max values, when they get a chance. Might help people grasp the extreme difference in possibilities.
    Last edited by Aethyrguard; Oct 2nd, 2009 at 20:18:48.

Quote Originally Posted by wormx View Post
    This.

I have looked at these "horrible" graphics for years, I can look at them for more years. I didn't start playing AO because of GFX :P
    I'm just waiting for AO to actually run better.
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethyrguard View Post
    I can see why you'd say you prefer the old vs the new. Look at the sky itself. Also take in to consideration that they are showing us lighting tests not full final form. When the new version is finished, I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you will prefer it's new form.
    Yeah, I have to clarify here, I do think it looks really good.
    And being a fixer I guess I should say style over function but when it comes to the smoothness, I'm sure everyone agrees that its more important than shinies
    Stars "Wormx" Monkey 220/30/70 3rd opi fix on RK1, 7th on all dimensions to hit AI30 Thanks for all the raids : )
    DanceMeTo "Summerglow" TheEndOfLove 220/27/67 Opi Fixer. Yes, I like fixers.
    LifeIs "Winterglow" NoCabaret 150/14/42 Opi Fixer. Waiting for more hits with the nerfbat.
    Doctor "Wormx6" Panda 220/20/55 Atrox doctor, dinged 220 off Thrak key quest : )
    Mr "Ceilingcat" Monkey 220/23/52 Soli MP, hiding in the ceiling, watching...
    Too many other alts to list here...

What's this business about "new" perks? Are you adding more perks in some cases?

Is one of these new perks the tractor beam?

Something I'd also like to see in somewhat more detail in this upcoming document of yours is:

Considering how AS is currently the only reliable attack for several professions, how do you propose to offset this with the upcoming nerf to AS? Will they recieve new weaponry? What about those professions who, well, innately suck at using weapons due to poor add. dmg, crappy AR modifiers and little support for said weaponry? Mainly talking about traders, crats, engis and MPs here; professions who's offense in PvP pretty much revolves around AS. Agents will obviously be affected by this as well, but who cares about midgets? They're not even real people, rite?

Tree shadows are black on vertical surface, directly lit by the sun.

Which is kind of nice for a bright day but both vertical and horizontal hardly match, they are black by contrast btw. Any case, I don't think such thing will be a problem ingame.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

I was over-exaggerating of course, though sadly, last year indeed was about a week prior I believe. But if memory serves me correctly, I remember the year before last having the update at least 2 weeks ahead. Maybe it was a fluke, or maybe Sil did things differently, or maybe I just don't remember as well as I would like to think I do. Either way, It would be nice to have them sooner!
    I think you may be right. It does seem to me that Halloween got patched in a little later last year than we've seen in the past. Not by a large difference I don't think, but for some reason I do believe that Halloween last year seemed shorter than in prior years.

Although, Uncle Pumpkinhead usually does start haunting the forums early in the month. In fact I'm surprised he hasn't surfaced yet this year.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

WTB AO Halloween from October 15 - November 14, AO Christmas from December 15-January 14, AO Anniversary from June 15 - July 14.

They went to the effort to make the stuff we collect during those times of the year. Why not let it exist for a month before never being seen again?
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

The shadows look like they could use some work tho, te go from soft to being rather harsh ;X
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Bear in mind that what we're seeing in thos screenshots is a VERY rough and early version, just to show off the new engine's capability to render realtime shadows vs. the old clunky one.

Also, omfg bump mapping!!! *runs in a circle screaming*

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast