Thread: The Sun Will Explode In Less Than Six Years!

Unhappy The Sun Will Explode In Less Than Six Years!

The Sun Will Explode In Less Than Six Years!

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20020918/103236120009.html
    Carmilla - 210 Shade
    Zerosnake - 220 Agent

/me freaks...

/me notices it's from Weekly World News.

Pfffft.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Talking

AHAHAHAHA!

Well, the first paragraph is right, give or take the alert part.. the sun's core isn't too far off either, interesting.

I was looking for some cheerful news today, thnx for the link.

Lets get to lootin'
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

LOL
    well killed all of 20 seconds of server downtime.

wow did we really have hubble back in 1604? we're just great!

./me goes out and buys weekley news

pffft

nice one

peace
    cal
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

*wonders if she should get all techinical about the mistakes in that article, then desides she cant be bothered hehe*

the wonders of having a degree in Astrophysics

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Operator: Cleo hotline what can I do for you..
    Prov von Meep: Yes I want to know the future.. yes.
    Operator: Oh I see the Death card come up..
    Prov von Meep: So the sun is going supernova... Thanks..
    Click...
    Operator: what a weirdo....
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

That is such a load of crap. Everyone knows that the sun will explode in 2012 on the last day of the Mayan calendar.
    Skeena - Omni Fixer RK2 [SETUP]
    Mctrout - Omni Doctor RK2 [SETUP]
    Kaarp - Omni Enforcer RK2

86% Explorer - 53% Socializer - 46% Achiever - 13% Killer

In the case that some people didn't sense the amusement in my first post, the only correct facts are the temp. taken of the suns core before being turned into story content (might get up to about 30 million degrees F. if my memory is correct) and that solar flares aren’t the rarest thing to find on a star.
    Anyway, something that size doesn't seem like too much for a star which is 865,000 or so miles in diameter and has a mass of about 2 octillion tons (million, billion, trillion, quadrillion.. the list is Latin or whatever).

The sun will not go into a supergiant and engulf the entire solar system, a supergiant may only get fairly close to Mars if my picture book is correct , and the sun is not large enough to become a supergiant.
    The sun, in about 5 billion years, will become a 'red giant', which is when it reaches the end of it's life but is too selfish to leave any hydrogen for other stars that may form. It will use the process of fusion to make a lot of heavy elements and leave a sphere of iron in the center of the solar system.

Supernovas are the things that giant stars create where they throw out much of their mass, creating a very cool nebula, so they do not become an uber-supergiant or black hole. Also, these go farther into the fusion process and create heavier elements.

One last thing, red giants and supergiants can stay in that state for a long time, most in recorded history should still be visible today. A supernova is a short, gigantic explosion which will make all the other stars seem a lot dimmer and very boring.
    Last edited by Maxtor 1-7; Oct 4th, 2002 at 07:38:16.

actually, a red giant, which the sun will eventually form, will engulf everything up to around mars (I think mars will probably escape, but due to the shifting gravity of the solar system at this time, it might not). Also, if the Sun did explode, we wouldn't know about it for 8 minutes, as it would take that long for the light to reach us. I'mnot going to getany further into stellar dynamics, as it really does get rather complicated hehe

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by Skeena
    That is such a load of crap. Everyone knows that the sun will explode in 2012 on the last day of the Mayan calendar.
    You all knew that? And you didnt tell me untill now? Ah damn you all
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

"It's a sign that the Sun is ready to blow . . . I don't know if I can put it any more plainly than that," says Dutch astrophysicist Dr. Piers Van der Meer, a top expert affiliated with the European Space Agency.
    "It will be like a nuclear bomb trillions of times more powerful than the one dropped on Hiroshima going off at the center of our solar system.
    "When that happens Earth will be instantly incinerated along with all life on it. It's like when a marshmallow falls into a fire, blackens and melts."
    All I can say is...where were you when I was FALLING ASLEEP IN PHYSICS!?!
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

Even if it were true, so what? We couldn't do anything about it and there's a lot worse ways to go than being instantly incinerated.

The sun exploding is very far down on my list of things to worry about. :-D

Miria's got a point...I'd much rather die instantly, and not knowing I was going to.
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

well.... I would actually like to know the excact day and way I would die (hopefully, it'll be a quick one, where I don't suffer a long time before it happens). That would give me time to spend up the rest of my money, so I could have some SERIOUS FUN at the end. Kinda, going off with a party or something.

..like some indians said "yippi-ka-yay" (prolly not the right spelling, though), meaning something like 'this is a good day to die'. A good day to die, would be a happy day, where everything goes smooth, every hour brings pleasure and happiness, and you do stuff that you enjoy doing. THEN, all of a suddon, I drop dead.
    If I could choose, that's the way I want to go.

But I have alot of things to do, so I kinda hope it takes a bit of time before I need to worry about that.

Originally posted by lilnymph
    I'mnot going to get any further into stellar dynamics, as it really does get rather complicated hehe

hugs

lilnymph
    Why not?

Some of us like learning new things...

(you have an astro-physics degree? That's pretty cool. I feel forshamed)
    Click Click BOOM

www.proveuswrong.com
    BoomDoom - Lvl 146 NT
    Thugdoom - lvl 80 enforcer
    EmissaryDoom - lvl 75 Crat
    ProfDoom - Lvl 57 MP
    Nursedoom - lvl 57 Doctor

I remember making smores while camping. The best part was tossing a couple marshmallows in the fire and watching them burn. They'd turn all black and get really big. And then if you punched a whole in them, burning marshmallow goop would come out. Fun times.

Usually, I'd just burn my marshmallows and have a chocolate sandwich.

Originally posted by Skybert
    well.... I would actually like to know the excact day and way I would die (hopefully, it'll be a quick one, where I don't suffer a long time before it happens). That would give me time to spend up the rest of my money, so I could have some SERIOUS FUN at the end. Kinda, going off with a party or something.

..like some indians said "yippi-ka-yay" (prolly not the right spelling, though), meaning something like 'this is a good day to die'. A good day to die, would be a happy day, where everything goes smooth, every hour brings pleasure and happiness, and you do stuff that you enjoy doing. THEN, all of a suddon, I drop dead.
    If I could choose, that's the way I want to go.

But I have alot of things to do, so I kinda hope it takes a bit of time before I need to worry about that.
    Not me.... I would hate to know when, where and how I would die. I think the fear as the date approached would preclude me form having any fun at all.

I think its best to just live as good and as full a life as possible while we can. Having said that, I dont think I'm going to play any AO today... I'm going to go outside and enjoy what is a gorgeous day here in the south.
    Krestenthal 175 MA