Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 2nd, 2009 - A week of daring escapes

Funcom employee Friday with Means - October 2nd, 2009 - A week of daring escapes

It has been a week of escapes. After a reasonably quick update to solve some hefty/horribly random issues from the 2003 to 2005 conversion of the entire client it seems like thing are reasonably back to normal. That and of course it is great that we are still all at our desks. Macrosun tells me he wants to quit at least three times a day...so work on the mail system must be going well.

Engine

At the bottom of this thread I have attached some of the first "new engine vs. old engine" screenshots. The engine guys are working very hard on getting this together and it is fantastic to see it really starting to get that AO "feel"...but now with proper shadows, bump mapping on the ground, and general improvement on all texture rendering in general. I can't wait for them to tell me the new grass and water is "ready" for me to be able to show it...I don't like waiting either...but you know how people are with "works in progress". These screens show the "nuts and bolts" of the new engine working (ground, mesh and shadows)...I can't wait until we get to show the new shinies that this conversion is going to give us. I know it doesn't feel like it...but this is going way faster than I ever would have imagined.

Balancing

This week we have had Metaing in the office for lengthy balance discussions with the entire team. After purchasing new helmets these discussions will continue all next week. Next Friday we will be posting a document containing all the proposed changes to existing perks and descriptions of new ones. This will give us all a chance to examine these changes in detail before implementation in the coming weeks.

Nightclub Opening

The grand opening of "The Grind" will be on Friday October 23rd. Watch the launcher for the time closer to the event. Halloween is traditionally the largest AO party of the year...what other time would be better to open the new club? Anything else would be wrong.

Pants. Definitely Pants. I am really tired. This FWM was brought to you by Tylenol - Extra Strength.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

IBTK

Meh.

BTW, a question. Is this new engine finally faster when rendering AI cities?
    Last edited by Klod9000; Oct 2nd, 2009 at 16:44:55.

I think you only need some backlight in the Billboards now, judging from the screen shot

Looking great though! Keep going!

Alien hunter Shinya - nano engi
    In progress Rhinoceros - Atrox crat
    Rerolled - Spaceboy - Now neutral fixer
    Nearly there Tentonhammer - Former Squad Commander of Black Faction Take care out there guys

2 out of 3 plus 2 extras. Thank you and have a nice weekend =)
    Aspirant of the Means Cult(tm)
    ---------------------------------------
    Bug Busters (Rk2)
    now Froob RK1

Screenshots!!!

Shame about the backyard doors being miles out of place though.

Zackkeep 220/27
    Emergencydoc 220/26
    Emercharms 220/20
    Emerfix 160/5
    Emermongo 150/18
    Emers 150/7
    Emersbuilder 112/2
    Emernukes 110/2
    Heroenf 76/8
    Emermage 59/6

Proud General of Elite Operations

first page!
    "Hey Chucko, that doesn't smell like mud!"

Proud General of Athen Paladins

Daddyrabbit 220/30/68 ENF (Thongmaster) Stuff

A fair result can be obtained only by fully stating and balancing the facts and arguments on both sides of each question.

Anti-aliasing! 8x! 16x! Does it go any higher? I wish it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Pants. Definitely Pants.
    Wut?
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

nice work on the shadows
    "You part the waters -- the same ones that I'm thirsty for. You invite your friends to tea, but when it's me you lock the door."

starting to get that AO "feel"...
    I had more that Ahhh Oooh shinies feel than that AO "feel".

Late... as always...

Hmm, don't know if there is too many textures, but hi-res textures for buildings?
    Last edited by Ekarona; Oct 2nd, 2009 at 16:59:41.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Next Friday we will be posting a document containing all the proposed changes to existing perks and descriptions of new ones.
    Wow, i really hope you guys have some flameshields ready, its gonna be a feeding frenzy this time next week...
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Really diggin the screenshots, man.
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Good to see the progress. nail down those doors, though.

Would be nice if the next engine update was a little video.

Funcom employee

Hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    Wow, i really hope you guys have some flameshields ready, its gonna be a feeding frenzy this time next week...
    Actually, oh the hilarity, with so many changes i don't think anyone will be able to grasp the big picture just from paper, so it'll be propably be reasonably quiet.

PS. Nerfbat for all those guys below please.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast