View Poll Results: Pick your nightclub name!

Voters
689. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elevate

10 1.45%
  • Equinox

92 13.35%
  • The Grind

232 33.67%
  • Aurora

78 11.32%
  • Solaris

76 11.03%
  • Nexus

59 8.56%
  • Gravity

38 5.52%
  • Daybreak

34 4.93%
  • Photon

14 2.03%
  • Pulse

56 8.13%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - Aug. 14th, 2009: Now with 60% more content!

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    After a few conversations with him and some various other people, the decision was made for me to basically step up as the 'overseer' of the AO storyline, taking over for Aythem (who I'm sure is quite happy not getting all the email spam that I now receive on a daily basis XD) in terms of guiding and implementing storyline for the game. Part of this also means that I will now be overseeing the ARK Events department, acting as a liaison between FC and the Events guys, aiding them out in whatever way possible.

Oh. My. GOD!

Congrats, mate! I'm sure you will have much fun with the upcoming heada-- err, new developments this will bring to the community!

I'm probably not the only one hoping that this will mean that the situation will be less static in the game world environment. And possibly with surprises, too

"I'm getting all staticky just thinking about it!" -- Piper, in "Robots"

There are -good- wall of texts, by the way. Yes, there are! I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Ayria, I hardly ever challenge you, but when was a -thesaurus- ever going to support your argument? We're talking optic physics, you're talking English synonyms. That's not the same thing, and still insinuating that we're dumbasses? That's too much, man

And why the hell are we still arguing about optic physics?
    The physics of the eye dictate that we need light to see right? Little photons of light come in through the iris and are used by the retina and by extension the brain to form an image. If you go out into the country at night you can't see your hand in front of your eyes yet there is star light. According to them that means that what you're seeing (or not seeing as the case actually is) is shadow, light being blocked.

If the sun were to blow up we'd have a perpetual night, day would never come. You go out into the country side and you still can't see your hand in front of your eyes yet there is star light just like before. But suddenly (according to their standpoint) it's called darkness now because the sun isn't there?

Shadow and darkness are the same thing: the absence of light in an area. You get the same shadows from a lack of light as you do from an obstructed light.

Oh, and the reason I used English synonyms is because they used the English definition as an argument against me. As well, we're arguing this cause I'm bored and it's funny watching people make fools of themselves trying to act as if the shadows made by the sun hiding on the other side of the planet are different then the ones that would be made were the sun not existent.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

You said, yourself, that light wasn't needed to create shadows. I'll quote the post if you need me to.

Yes, you do need light to create shadows and it DOESN'T matter what the source is. A flashlight, the Sun, a fire, etc etc. I want you to do a couple things: go in a completely dark room with a flashlight. Put a mug or some decent-sized object on a table. Shine the flashlight at it.

There was no shadow before, since ... well, there was no light. But shine the flashlight and you'll see the "absence of light" you talk about directly behind the object - the shadow

The same principle happens with the sun and, say, trees. The sun (a source of light) creates a shadow with the tree, since the tree is blocking out some of the light.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    You said, yourself, that light wasn't needed to create shadows. I'll quote the post if you need me to.
    What does it matter, name is going to be 'the grind'
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

Still, we learned today that there are at least 554 paying customers.

Still, there might be less, so we didn't learn anything after all.
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Shadow and darkness are the same thing: the absence of light in an area. You get the same shadows from a lack of light as you do from an obstructed light.
    Unfortunately not true. While a Shadow will cause an area of Darkness, an area of Darkness is not a Shadow, however, practically every instance of Darkness that humans are ever likely to encounter are actually Shadows of one form or another, hence they are synonymous with each other even though they are not the same.

An important example may well be a Black Hole, which is an area of Darkness but it is most definitely not caused by a Shadow.

P.S. A Synonym doesn't means that the two words can be used interchangeable, meaning they're similar, but not necessarily the same.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

@ bockrocker

In all technicality the sun has little to do with making shadow. Darkness is the absence of light thus if there was no sun there would be more shadow then if there was a sun.
    I think this statement is the entire reason why this arguement has started in the first place. You NEED a source of light for a shadow to be formed in the first place, as Saetos mentioned already. Think of the moon. A full moon is when the full effect of the sun can shine on the side of the moon that is facing the earth. As the full moon wanes, it's because moon is moving in behind the earth and the earth is casting it's shadow on it. It's blocking the source of the light: the sun.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

I can't believe you guys can be bothered to grind about this light-shadow thing. It's a stupid argument even by AO's standards.

Stupid geeks, sheesh.

Kermaperuna
    220/28/70 | Solitus Engineer | Main
    |Atlantean|
    President of What's Left of Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by Susi View Post
    I can't believe you guys can be bothered to grind about this light-shadow thing. It's a stupid argument even by AO's standards.

Stupid geeks, sheesh.
    This goes waaaaay beyond Geek & quite well into the realms of Nerd imo.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Susi View Post

Stupid geeks, sheesh.
    Pot calling the kettle black

We're making sure that someone is educated correctly in the difference between a shadow and darkeness.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Technically all darkness could be considered shadows.... technically

Darkness is absence of light.
    Shadow is a relatively darker area caused by an object obstructing a lightsource.

Both words are made up by humans and both words are meant to describe different things. If they were not meant to describe different things we wouldn't need 2 different words. Just because humans use those 2 words in the wrong places at times it just means that humans don't have enough words to choose from when forming a proper english sentence, rather than it signifying that shadows and darkness are the same thing
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Aug 17th, 2009 at 16:27:06.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

I have still not understood what "Shadow Lands" is..
    is it a whole universe?
    if so, why do you fall down to Rubi-Ka when going over the edge?
    Are there other planets in the Shadow Lands universe? at least there are some suns..
    You can jump high in the Shadow Lands, but Yalms do not work, could a chemical rocket be made there, to explore the SL universe?
    The Notum Canons in Clon**** can reach escape velocity, could we build some in the Shadow Lands?

Why do Yuttocra visit the major Rubi-Ka cities at valentine?
    Do they visit other planets at valentine's day too?

On the Darkness/Shadow debate:
    Source: Thesaurus
    If you follow that line of thought, the Thesaurus says:
    Darkness = pitch = slope = downgrade = shelf
    also
    Darkness = pitch = degree = height

So following that Thesaurus is always right, your height is Darkness, and so is your shelf.

Also people with a Master-degree can also be called "master of darkness".
    Why do some people try to debate physics, as if it was debatable, even Pope John Paul II has admitted the Earth is round and circles the sun in 1992.
    Will it also take 359 years to convince you that shadow is not the same as darkness?

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

PS. Creedence Clearwater Revival asked the question:
    Have you ever seen the rain, coming down on a sunny day?

I would like to ask them: Have you ever seen a rainbow?
    and do you know how they are made?
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

We do not need light to make shadows...
    Thanks for another sig.

Source: Thesaurus
    Shadow and darkness are the same damn thing; thus if darkness is the absence of light, so is shadow.
    I think you should review the definition of a "synonym".

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    On the Darkness/Shadow debate:

If you follow that line of thought, the Thesaurus says:
    Darkness = pitch = slope = downgrade = shelf
    also
    Darkness = pitch = degree = height

So following that Thesaurus is always right, your height is Darkness, and so is your shelf.

Also people with a Master-degree can also be called "master of darkness".
    Well said.

I have still not understood what "Shadow Lands" is..
    is it a whole universe?
    if so, why do you fall down to Rubi-Ka when going over the edge?
    Are there other planets in the Shadow Lands universe? at least there are some suns..
    You can jump high in the Shadow Lands, but Yalms do not work, could a chemical rocket be made there, to explore the SL universe?
    The Notum Canons in Clon**** can reach escape velocity, could we build some in the Shadow Lands?
    The Shadowlands is, according to ingame stories and such, a shadow-dimension reflecting a past long gone that is slowly disappearing through the work of the hecklers and other brink monsters that are eating away at that world. You fall to RK because outside the remaining landmass, the dimension ceases to exist.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    You fall to RK because outside the remaining landmass, the dimension ceases to exist.
    That conflicts with the strange suns and the twirling "black hole" in the sky.

Thank you for the explanation Mastablasta, a good and short, but it still has the inherit flaw that a limited space can not contain other stars.

If the dimension is limited, a chemical rocket would just leave the dimension.
    So where does the light come from? Amicus and Animus? then what is the twirly "black hole" thingy in the sky, and how close is it to the surface of the ground, if the dimension is limited..

I know how the Xan lived and behaved, but how Shadowlands work, I have not seen much information about.
    Neither the whole floating Jobe thing and why yalm technology does not work..

I think it is cool that the places of power in SL corresponds with places of power on Rubi-Ka; the BS pyramid and Omni-HQ. Very cool story wise

Kind Regards
    Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Its a metaphysical plane of existance, Im pretty sure regular physics dont particularly matter too much to it...

That conflicts with the strange suns and the twirling "black hole" in the sky.

Thank you for the explanation Mastablasta, a good and short, but it still has the inherit flaw that a limited space can not contain other stars.

If the dimension is limited, a chemical rocket would just leave the dimension.
    So where does the light come from? Amicus and Animus? then what is the twirly "black hole" thingy in the sky, and how close is it to the surface of the ground, if the dimension is limited..

I know how the Xan lived and behaved, but how Shadowlands work, I have not seen much information about.
    Neither the whole floating Jobe thing and why yalm technology does not work..

I think it is cool that the places of power in SL corresponds with places of power on Rubi-Ka; the BS pyramid and Omni-HQ. Very cool story wise

Kind Regards
    Ariensky
    My guess would be that Jame outfited people with a metaphysical device that would transport you back to RK at the closest equivalent to the shadowlands region you're in if you fall into the metawater which seems to make up the brink off the edge of the place. beyond that the dimension is getting sucked into the black hole thingy.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

What of course is mighty convinient about sl is that oxygen composition and gravity seem to be very very similar to regular rubi-ka, meaning that the hecks couldnt have deteriorated much of it, now could they?
    Miscalced - 207/16 Keeper

Hmm, I actually never quite found out about the pyramid, is there a questline or a story relating to it? I always wondered. It's where you come out from beast lair but apart from that. It's probably in the timeline but if Masta could summarize this for idiots like me it would be good.

Kermaperuna
    220/28/70 | Solitus Engineer | Main
    |Atlantean|
    President of What's Left of Paragon

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast