Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920

Thread: Friday with(out) Means - Aug. 7th, 2009: how did this get here i am not good with com

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Bring on 2 man instances.
    It's already here, it's called 6 man instance... the 12 man instance is the 6 man instance.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    It almost seems like you don't want people to make alts.
    I agree with this sentiment as it is really how I have been feeling lately. The state of AO right now is not at all conducive for someone wanting to make an alt and (this is key) actually play the alt. If you want to roll an alt and powerlevel it up to 220 then buy their gear then yes, this is the game for you (with all the lootright selling I actually had to laugh when I saw a suggestion posted on being able to transfer or sell VP). If you already have a semi-decked out 220 and want to roll another character and 'play' the character up through its levels then you are going to expereince a challenge like none other.. not due to the content but lack of teaming (unless said alt is a doc/tank).

Yesterday in old athens I actually saw someone, level 4 trox doctor, offering to pay 300mil for powerleveing from 4-60. I commented on it and the person called me by the name most people know me by so I can only assume it is someone that has been in the game for at least 3-4 years. That's what the game seems to be coming to from my vantage point.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

The problem that FC has to face is the fact that the majority of people have one thing in common: they're lazy. If you had the option to take the long road and do everything right or take the short cut and get it done quickly, which would you take?

In comparison to other MMOs right now, AO is definiately harder. WoW for example, you can solo from 1-80 if you wanted to and it's not that difficult. You just have to follow the quest progression and eventually you'll get there all on your own. Realistically you can't solo 1-220 in AO. It's certainly POSSIBLE, but imagine how long that would take? WoW is more alt friendly than AO because it not only dumbs down on a lot of things (WoW really isn't that difficult to understand...) but also makes it so you don't have to rely on other's to progress.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

ENTRY FOR NIGHTCLUB NAME CONTEST: The Decade

The club name? Because Anarchy Online recently turned eight, and if that was possible, then it'd be a good idea to get ready for a big ten year celebration, and centering a club around that early, well, it would get that little piece of work out of the way already. Convenient, no?

ENTRY FOR NIGHTCLUB NAME CONTEST: Leets In Space

Make a leet floating around serving drinks and it's perfect!

ENTRY FOR NIGHTCLUB NAME CONTEST: Above Hall

name - LEETS PARADISE

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc View Post
    The problem that FC has to face is the fact that the majority of people have one thing in common: they're lazy. If you had the option to take the long road and do everything right or take the short cut and get it done quickly, which would you take?

In comparison to other MMOs right now, AO is definiately harder. WoW for example, you can solo from 1-80 if you wanted to and it's not that difficult. You just have to follow the quest progression and eventually you'll get there all on your own. Realistically you can't solo 1-220 in AO. It's certainly POSSIBLE, but imagine how long that would take? WoW is more alt friendly than AO because it not only dumbs down on a lot of things (WoW really isn't that difficult to understand...) but also makes it so you don't have to rely on other's to progress.
    Easier levelling, maybe. I don't see WoW players dual-boxing endgame raids.

The problem that FC has to face is the fact that the majority of people have one thing in common: they're lazy.
    I don't know if it's so much that we're lazy but that we're playing a game. A game is intended as a form of relaxation so lazy + game just seems to go hand in hand. Many of us have very active lives far from laziness and just want some time to sit, relax, and have fun playing our main or alt.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    I don't know if it's so much that we're lazy but that we're playing a game. A game is intended as a form of relaxation so lazy + game just seems to go hand in hand. Many of us have very active lives far from laziness and just want some time to sit, relax, and have fun playing our main or alt.
    Games can also be intended as a challenge or competition.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Games can also be intended as a challenge or competition.
    Still doesn't equate to laziness.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

ENTRY FOR NIGHTCLUB NAME CONTEST: The Notum Lounge
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

Depends. My first, second and third froob characters made it to 80ish with only minor help from org mates (the odd imp combine, Fgrid, possibly a couple of other quests) and I got hooked on the gameplay. Being able to roll endless missions was cool.

Going paid put an end to that really. Xp in SL is much better, and seeing I have a 220, things like a perenium blaster at level 22 are do-able. Not using a QL40 shop gun at level 45 makes levelling easy, but by the same token, doesn't seem as fun.

Maybe thats what I miss - froobs can level just as fast solo by doing missions as by teaming. Maybe bring on a similar system to Shadowlands, or make the missions more viable for paid players. I would appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Easier levelling, maybe. I don't see WoW players dual-boxing endgame raids.
    Bit of an extreme and old example but it happens all the same.

Zackkeep 220/27
    Emergencydoc 220/26
    Emercharms 220/20
    Emerfix 160/5
    Emermongo 150/18
    Emers 150/7
    Emersbuilder 112/2
    Emernukes 110/2
    Heroenf 76/8
    Emermage 59/6

Proud General of Elite Operations

Quote Originally Posted by freqflyerdent View Post
    ENTRY FOR NIGHTCLUB NAME CONTEST: The Notum Lounge
    Oh wait, except what about this? http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...5&postcount=97

But I'm sure you already knew that. How silly of me.
    You don't know me for a reason. I'd like to keep it that way.

Its friday! Post some nice screenies Kintaii!
    Ornaola - MA - 220/28/70 "teh main" - Equip <3
    Ornael - Soldier - 220/20 "twinky" - Equip
    Kitaniya - Doc - 220/22 "cute doc" - Equip
    Astonon - Enf - 208/17 "enfo" - Equip
    Ornaila - Crat - 217/16 Busty Beauty <3 - reroll
    Ornaenta - NT - 170/12 ''nuky nuky''

THIS IS SPARTA!!

ENTRY FOR NIGHTCLUB NAME CONTEST: Cake and Pie

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    While incentivizing people to team by offering increased loot chances isn't a bad idea in the slightest, it's also more or less one of those "band-aid" style fixes we really want to avoid. The main root of the problem is that an instance which was designed for six people can be done with less - Therein lies the real issue. The effort we're putting forth in regards to the profession balancing is designed to effect both PvM and PvP across the board, hopefully making PvM content more in-line with its original designs and, thusly, more in-line with its originally intended team requirements. =)
    Kinatii, I understand and support the balancing efforts but aren't you afraid that "balancing to make it playable as it was intended to" will be considered a huge backward-nerf by many? I mean, before balancing X could do Y, now it takes 2X, 3X, etc. As I understand this was the main fear before "Teh Ingot Nerf", and it certainly made a noise and I personally knew more than one player who quit as a result (I would say good riddance but I kinda liked one of them).

Also you hint on "PoP - Player on Player" so questions arise:

1) what you say about PoP and long term survival is only true if players leaving > noob influx. Does this mean that FC gave up on attaining larger numbers of noobs and will design future content more in line with the player-player relations, and more importantly, established players in mind? A (totally un)related question that's really bugging me is did the removal of shuttle sequence actually reduced sink?

2) would you or would you not agree with saying that the last few content patches (well, anything since LE basically) hurt the game more that helped it in light of you favoring PoP? I mean it thinned the already low population, separated froobs and sloobs from paying custmers more, but it also created a situation where players raced to get the latest, newest, bestest gear and while doing so they suffered.. errr.. "micro burnouts". Not to mention the newest bestest not only makes older gear obsolete but makes the game shallower by "limiting" content choise (from the practical viewpoint).

(this is a bit inccoherent but it's like 40C/80% here - mindnumbing!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zackkeep View Post
    Bit of an extreme and old example but it happens all the same.
    First of all, 36 accounts is not "dual-boxing".

Second of all, I've seen people who do this in PVP. It's typically a clump of characters of identical class and spec using the exact same spells at the exact same time. While excellent at ganking random BGers or tank-and-spank encounters, I have serious doubts that he could ever do any of the complex raid fights... let alone the hard modes of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatarapida View Post
    I agree with this sentiment as it is really how I have been feeling lately. The state of AO right now is not at all conducive for someone wanting to make an alt and (this is key) actually play the alt. If you want to roll an alt and powerlevel it up to 220 then buy their gear then yes, this is the game for you (with all the lootright selling I actually had to laugh when I saw a suggestion posted on being able to transfer or sell VP). If you already have a semi-decked out 220 and want to roll another character and 'play' the character up through its levels then you are going to expereince a challenge like none other.. not due to the content but lack of teaming (unless said alt is a doc/tank).

Yesterday in old athens I actually saw someone, level 4 trox doctor, offering to pay 300mil for powerleveing from 4-60. I commented on it and the person called me by the name most people know me by so I can only assume it is someone that has been in the game for at least 3-4 years. That's what the game seems to be coming to from my vantage point.
    But but... can't you understand that good deal of people do make an alt for a specific role?
    So I am making an enforcer to tank endgame content why would I not try to achieve that goal ASAP?

I understand that you might be conserned that a newcomer level 1 can not compete with me rolling an alt (less knowledge, less friends, less credits). But I do prefer to afk-powerlevel it till 220 then to do the same grind over again.

Tutomech 220/29/68 eng [ Eq ] || Tutodoc 150/20/42 doc [ Eq ] || Tutoblitz 60/6/21 fix [ Eq ] || Tutofarm 83/8/28 nt [ Eq ] || Tutoforce 220/2_/__ enf || Tutotaxer 220/__/__ tra

Maxisfix: Arguing on the forums is like the special Olympics, even if you win, you are still a retard.
    Yehuda Bauer: Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.
    Tutomech: There is no real need in a virtual world, therefore: NEED = GREED.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920