Thread: Ideas for soldier love patch

Lightbulb Ideas for soldier love patch

I have played just about every class on AO, with soldiers and fixers being my favorite. Soldiers do have alot going for them *cough* TMS *cough*, but for those not oriented for PvP, there are a few things lacking, that can be rather easily fixed.

what i noticed is that soldiers dont really have a buff that can help others greatly. TMS is self only, and by the time a soldier is able to cast his masteries, the other prof at his lvl have something better. Also, AC buffs are outclassed by MAs and engys, health buffs are blown out of the water by docs and enforcers, and shield buffs arent worth the IP and NCU investment (and even then, engys are better).

What soldiers need is something unique that is team-oriented, but useful for PvP... like a massive damage buff nano, or line of burst/fling nanos that can be cast by someone not at stratospheric levels... or more for the PvM crowd... a fear nano like what crats and MAs have. (heck, if i saw a soldier with a BFG and OP Elite on, I would run like a bat out of h***)

I have put my 117 soldier on sabbatical simply b/c its hard as heck for him to find a decent team, he cant PvP, and frankly BS missions get old when it takes 2 or 3 outings to level once, b/c of deaths (or stupid overpowered MAs). But, i will save myself the flames, and wont get on my "nerf MAs" rant.

Hopefully, someone at FC will take note of this... and everyone is welcome to post with their suggestions... and be sure to consider those who *dont* PvP, like me.

I didn't even bother reading the entire post - something sprang into sight and can only say this:

YOUR GOING BACK TO BOOTCAMP, PRIVATE, FOR SAYING OUR SHIELDS AREN'T WORTH NCUS!

Its just about *the* most powerfull buff in the damn game

yes, RRFe is the only buff soldiers are good for. Thats why you want them in teams and thats why I refuse to buff this
    No need to PHEAR ME! anymore - Im gone

clarification

for clarification... TMS is probably the best buff in the game. but it is SELF ONLY. our shield buffs are ok, but they use totally different skills than TMS, which would spread IPs deathly thin. TMS has saved my butt more times than i can count, so that is one thing i love about my soldier.

the shield buffs that i am talking negatively about is shields like "partial reflection shield", and "deflection shield" and such.

Re: clarification

Originally posted by eternalfiend
    . . . our shield buffs are ok, but they use totally different skills than TMS . . . the shield buffs that i am talking negatively about is shields like "partial reflection shield", and "deflection shield" and such.
    Our sheild buffs use MC and TS just like TMS does. You may be confusing our AC buffs which use MM and MC (which are generally not considered worth the IP until 150+)
    Johnathgalt Rimor Clanner

wtb crusader chant

Succeeding at my job is like winning a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie.

Re: clarification

for clarification... TMS is probably the best buff in the game. but it is SELF ONLY. our shield buffs are ok, but they use totally different skills than TMS, which would spread IPs deathly thin. TMS has saved my butt more times than i can count, so that is one thing i love about my soldier.

the shield buffs that i am talking negatively about is shields like "partial reflection shield", and "deflection shield" and such.
    *blink* ??

TMS = MC and T&S
    Shields = MC and T&S

Skills buffs = PM and SI

Aggro buff = PM

Damage buffs = MC and MM

Health buffs = BM and MM? (shows you how much IP I got in this line of nanos )

The problem with soldiers is 1) we do the same amount of damage as anyone else with the same gun..5% more is SAME in my book. 2) have lower attack ratings then other "combat" profs. 3) have nearly NO healing abilities.

If TMS lasted like 5 mins then It would be "uber" but I would argue that it would give us the same effective HP over time as a DOC in PvP. Probably less?

doh

ok, im smoking crack.

kids, this is why you dont post to the board when you are WAY too tired... you end up not thinking, and looking like an idiot (Which im not... really)

for clarification... TMS is probably the best buff in the game. but it is SELF ONLY.
    Hummm? I would say Complete Heal is the best buff in the game - but well thats only my opinion Also I think that a trader Plunder or a Divest, a agent Absolute Concentration or Gnats Wing are better as a the soldiers tms. Enfs Mongo or Challenger are equal to it. Well TMS isn't the best buff in the game and except on ent-arena or pvm fights - tms is more or less useless.

But well some suggestions for a soldier love would be:

Our AC Buffs: Not worth the ips in lower lvls but after we hit 170-180 we have the ips to put them into this line.

My suggestion for a redesign would be:

lower the required skills about 10% and give a 2 new high end buffs.

Old:

Minor Combat Barrier ql:4 mm:35 mc:34 ac:+21
    Minor Absorption Shield ql:14 mm:70 mc:66 ac:+42
    Lesser Combat Barrier ql:20 mm:112 mc:107 ac:+68
    Lesser Absorption Shield ql:37 mm:180 mc:164 ac:+112
    Combat Barrier ql:50 mm:247 mc:222 ac:+154
    Absorption Shield ql:66 mm:327 mc:301 ac:+196
    Superior Combat Barrier ql:83 mm:399 mc:362 ac:+238
    Superior Absorption Shield ql:99 mm:479 mc:448 ac:+280
    Advanced Combat Barrier ql:119 mm:554 mc:541 ac:+323
    Advanced Absorption Shield ql:132 mm:618 mc:610 ac:+366
    Perfected Combat Barrier ql:139 mm:650 mc:620 ac:+408
    Perfected Absorption Shield ql:142 mm:680 mc:630 ac:+450
    Heavy Assault Combat Barrier ql:152 mm:723 mc:646 ac:+491
    Heavy Assault Absorption Shield ql:159 mm:761 mc:680 ac:+530

New:

Minor Combat Barrier ql:4 mm:31 mc:30 ac:+21
    Minor Absorption Shield ql:14 mm:63 mc:60 ac:+42
    Lesser Combat Barrier ql:20 mm:100 mc:97 ac:+68
    Lesser Absorption Shield ql:37 mm:162 mc:148 ac:+112
    Combat Barrier ql:50 mm:223 mc:200 ac:+154
    Absorption Shield ql:66 mm:295 mc:271 ac:+196
    Superior Combat Barrier ql:83 mm:360 mc:326 ac:+238
    Superior Absorption Shield ql:99 mm:432 mc:404 ac:+280
    Advanced Combat Barrier ql:119 mm:499 mc:487 ac:+323
    Advanced Absorption Shield ql:132 mm:557 mc:549 ac:+366
    Perfected Combat Barrier ql:139 mm:585 mc:558 ac:+408
    Perfected Absorption Shield ql:142 mm:612 mc:567 ac:+450
    Heavy Assault Combat Barrier ql:152 mm:651 mc:582 ac:+491
    Heavy Assault Absorption Shield ql:159 mm:685 mc:612 ac:+530
    Superior Assault Combat Barrier ql:166 mm:712 mc:633 ac:+571
    Superior Assault Absorption Shield ql:173 mm:768 mc:682 ac:+613

Our shield line:

well we have 2 shield lines a 30min version with lower ncu cost and a 1hour (1:10hours) version

My suggestions are:

Make the extended version shield line (1hour/1:10hour versions) self only don't change anything else.

Make the normal shield (30mins) a team buff. Increase the Nanocost of this buff but make it so that all members in team get the shield! Not target only - team only! This would be very nice, cause i hate to cast the same buff 6 times in a team. Make it a team buff so I only have to cast it once. We still have a lot buffs (like the fixers ncu buffs, docs hp buffs, team wrangle etc.) Make this shield line a team reflect shield buff.

TMS Shield:

Well I know you will never remove the nano shutdown on it. But for outside pvp fights we need to be able to break roots - if not our enemy roots us and runs away and this makes the tms shield more or less useless. Make a soldier only debuff item for this game. Could be a Util1-3 Item. Next thing is i think the nanoshutdown is to long for a 80sec tms. We have a 40sec "easy target" gap on the nanoshutdown and the tms uptime. Soldiers die in this 40sec!
    Decrease the nanoshutdown to 100sec or better increase the tms time to 100sec and let the shutdown still 120sec. 20seconds of which a soldier is a unprotected and easy to kill target which cannot cast anything etc. is still enough time to kill him. But 40sec are a way to long.

Taunts:

Well they don't work - fix them. When we use a taunt on a mop then we should get the aggro not the doc who only cast his ch. We should get the aggro! But I don't say that we should have the best taunts! A enf taunt should still be more powerfull as the best soldier taunt. But we should be able to pull the aggro from a nt or a doc as long as no enf is in team.

Our Health buffs:

Well I don't think we should get huge hp buffs - but atm our buffs are useless if we have a enforcer in team. Make them stackable with a essence or slightly increase the hp they give us.

OMHH: Good as it is atm. But give as a 2nd higher version of OMHH.

Suggestion would be:

One-More-Hit Healing ql:76 bm:365 mm:365 healing: 200 - 300 dmg dot.
    Increased-One-More-Hit Healing ql:116 bm:547 mm:547 healing: 300 - 400 same dmg dot as OMHH

A new first aid buff shield line.

Minor Soldiers Medicine: ql:16 bm:84 mc:57 first aid:+20
    Combat Soldiers Medicine: ql:89 bm:243 mc:216 first aid:+60
    Heavy Assault Soldier Medicine ql:132 bm:451 mc:423 first aid:+120

This will help us to heal in fights, cause we are able to use better first aid kits.

Gerneral Buffs:

Total Focus: Remove the evade penalty.

Automatic Targeting: Decrease the ncu and nano cost and make a new 2nd and high end version:

Improved Targeting: ql136 si:693 pm:693 +81 offense

Give us a new improved version of quickshoot. We shoot have a lot more rangeinit as every other class in this game!

And last but not least:

Give us a new high end version of: Pistol Mastery, Rifle Mastery,
    Assault Rifle Mastery and Ranged Energy Mastery.

Make the equal to the MP Mastery, Infuses and Mochams Line. We should have a low version (the version we already have) and a high lvl version (for lvl180+ soldiers). Add a shotgun and smg line too.

And don't forget to give us: a Heavy Weapons, a Full Auto and a Flingshot buff.

edit:

Give us some lower version of a dmg shield too. All soldiers buffs are so boring! We want some gfx effects. So give us some of this nice glowing buffs a soldier can cast. Make them weak but give us some. And a funny idea but well this is only a idea hehe Give us a suicide nano. Make a big exploding effect when we use it and this will kill us instantly but it would do a big area dmg too.

Call it:

Soldiers Last Word: ql146 mc:589 ts:523 self health -20000 area dmg: 4451-8252. Make it powerfull cause it kills us too!

And rework the dmg buffs we have like Persistent Damage
    Amplifier. Give us new and improved versions of the buffs.

thx for reading it @Funcom - I hope you will read it.
    Last edited by Whitesand; Oct 2nd, 2002 at 19:44:49.

Im a level 106 soldier and i enjoy the proffesion as it is, its lacking some things but im pretty happy with it, i pvp a lot and can often beat other proffesions (agents nt's ma's) that are up to 50 levels above me, but i think i trader 30 levels below me could kill me as could a good doc. In pvm i am exellent as long as there is some kind of healer in teh team (unless im only fighting level 130ish mobs). What i would like though is a nice heal, could be called something like field medic or something similar, but itd be very nice seeing as dmg in pvp was put to 50% and heals stayed the same.

Oh, and TMS is brilliant, not the best nano in the game though

Originally posted by Sethil
    yes, RRFe is the only buff soldiers are good for. Thats why you want them in teams and thats why I refuse to buff this
    I disagree. Yeah, RRFE may be your most requested buff, but there are a few others I like having... OS and AT come to mind.

Most classes have one or two buffs that everyone wants... MoP, TTS, RRFE, Baton, HP, NCU... no point in listing them all, you get the idea. I can't think of any one prof that has an overwhelming number of buff-other nanos that are considered must-have.
    Gogo "Atremis" Yubari
    220 MA - RK1
    Tranq

There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What do you guys think about this TMS/First Aid idea:

1) Change TMS nano lock down duration to be equal to the duration of the TMS plus 30 seconds.

2) Significantly decrease (e.g. from 20 seconds to 1 second) the recharge time on TMS.

3) Modify TMS so that it has a percentage chance to deflect (i.e. block) hostile nanos such as debuffs and roots (essentially giving us a boost to our poor nano resist skill, when we need it the most).

4) Add a soldier only utility device (utilities 2) that modifies the healing effect of first aid stims by some percentage, while also providing the same First Aid and Treatment modifiers that a treatment library does. Scale the device from ql 200 to ql 1 and have its equipping requirements be treatment and comp lit.

wtb crusader chant

Succeeding at my job is like winning a pie eating contest where the prize is more pie.

Here's a tweaked version of my ideas from earlier

There are some good ideas already in this thread, thought I contribute a some of my own list of what I think should be considered for fixes to the soldier profession.

Weapon Skill Buffs
    • Grenade (weaker than Extreme Prejudice) - self only with one minor buff for others, does not stack with Extreme Prejudice. Include minor Fire/Chemical damage buff on top buffs.
    • Heavy Weapons (on par with Extreme Prejudice) - self only. Include minor Projectile damage buff on top buffs.
    • Pistol (at least equal to adventurer line) with Fling Shot buff - self only, retain Pistol Mastery to buff others (does not stack with adventurer line).
    • Assault Rifle (at least equal to pistol line) - self only, retain Assault Rifle Mastery to buff others. Include minor Projectile damage buff on top buffs.
    • Ranged Energy (equal to pistol line) - self only, retain Ranged Energy Weapons Mastery to buff others. Include minor Energy damage buff on top buffs.
    • Rifle (weaker than agent lines) with Aimed Shot minor buff (up to +40) - self only, retain Rifle Mastery to buff others.
    • Shotgun (weaker than pistol lines) - self only with one minor buff for others.
    • SMG (weaker than fixer line) - self only with one minor buff for others (does not stack with fixer line).
    • Burst (up to Riot Control) - leave it open to buff others.
    • Full Auto (not as strong as Riot Control) - self only.
    • Multi Range (slightly weaker than the adventurer line) - self only.

*** Note that buffs should account for Total Focus (+50 skill buff), so that the total of the buff and Total Focus meets the final total. Total Focus would do well to have a lesser version for lower level soldiers (maybe +18(to +25) to ranged weapons and -15(to -20) initiative to keep the same mods.

(Fixer, Agent, and Adventurer nano lines have established a new skill buff model that should be used to update older lines.)

Alternate Skill buff idea to break away from the dreaded self-only:
    • Create buffs that read the target’s profession. If target = profession x, then buff by y, or buff by z.
    • Example buff using Riot Control
    Target Profession = Soldier: Burst Skill +110
    Target Profession != Soldier: Burst Skill +86
    • Professions meant to excel in certain skills still maintain their strength through raw skill and a better buff, yet can still buff other professions, so that they can break away from the “cookie-cutter” mold.
    • This is similar to the line of buffs used by adventurers in wolf form (i.e. Pack Hunter, etc.).

Other buff fixes
    • Automatic Targeting - decrease NCU cost to 12-18 range. Alternately increase the offense boost to 50-70 or add in a damage buff to all damage types (like +23 all offense, +14 all damage types).
    • HP line - remove Heal Delta and replace with Attack Rating buff (+0 to +70) or something with some effect (nano resist, damage reduction, run speed, anything)
    • Damage buffs - add Fire and Chemical to the list (Energy and Projectile is limiting and doesn't cover Flame Throwers and Grenade Launchers). Engineers could use this boost too.

(Some of the buffs designed in beta have had their effect rendered obsolete and should be updated. Damage buffs proposed to place soldier self damage buffing at least on par with adventurers post 14.4.)

Other nano fixers
    • Allow One More Hit Healing to break roots during battle too as the soldier option for in battle root breakers.
    • Improve taunts. It seems that the top level taunts are about equal to a 1500 point attack. At level 80+ single taunts are unable to steal aggro except when the person with aggro and the taunter are doing about the same damage.

(One More Hit Healing is a natural fit to a root/snare breaking nano line.)

Weapons
    • Add more weapons using a combination of Assault Rifle, Ranged Energy, Heavy Weapons, Pistol, and Grenade for soldiers (some soldier only). Add in viable offhand weapons with Pistol and Ranged Energy too (soldier and adventurer options).
    • Update some of the older traditional soldier weapons to measure up with the newer designed weapons.
    • Ability to use Weapon Smith to modify some weapons with Tradeskill items. Maybe increasing clip size, upping damage, or improving attack speed. Increasing one area should hinder another to balance out. Add more sealed weapons with greater diversity and options (like the Summer).
    • Ability to augment weapons. We now see this in a database for certain unique weapons, how about adding this to some of the other non-unique items, such as the IMI Tellus. Maybe these modified weapons may also need a Weapon Smith equip requirement justified as the user needs to continually maintain the weapon for it to work properly.

(Newer weapons are being designed to balance better with the shotguns. Some older weapons can be brought on par with the new weapons with a little rework. Adding new weapons just floods the boss loot, while fixing old weapons makes them more available for character diversity. Weapon smith is currently under utilized with IMI Tellus, Sol Chironis, and the new XP being the only sealed weapons worth making. The weapon construction kits are outside a soldier's ability to complete, but none of the available weapons are in demand to be made, much less have a soldier contribute in part of the construction process.)

Armor
    • Hardsuits/Combat frames - require Vehicle Land, as well as things like Heavy Weapons, Ranged Energy, Run Speed, etc. Better AC than Battle Suits. Possible built in weapons, HP buff, jump buff. Scope them for different uses - some are high speed while others are solid, damage absorbing behemoths. Some could be Soldier or Enforcer only. For balance, maybe only allow them to be equipped for 30 minutes with a 2-5 hour refresh time with a drain on de-equip equal to the fixer grid warps.

(Very little use to vehicle skills currently.)

Other items
    • HUD items (Hud 2) that increases in QL with soldier level. Adds to Ranged Initiative and Attack Rating (+120 Ranged Initiative and +60 All Offense for QL200). Add in Psychology req of 4xQL to upgrade/equip. Maybe call is a Smart Link Ranged Weapons Interface.

(This item would scale the same way as the NCU Hacker Interface. Ranged initiative is higher buff since it's an area that soldiers can excel in, and can help soldiers out by giving them more leeway in equipping scopes or reducing aggression. All Offense buff at QL 200 is only slightly higher than the adventurer's top sabre tooth polymorph's +54.)

Summary of issues:

• Allow soldiers to maximize their weapon strengths (Assault Rifle, Heavy Weapons, Ranged Energy, and Pistol) by updating their buffs and upgrading their damage buffs.
    • Revisit some of our nano lines that have lost functionality since beta.
    • Give soldiers more to do with Weapon Smith. Soldiers should be able to modify their personal weapons.
    • More weapons and updating old weapons keeps everyone happy.
    • Justify Land Vehicles with something useful and obtainable.
    • Soldier HUD items to strengthen a soldier's assets and help define them.
    Last edited by SirAronar; Oct 2nd, 2002 at 23:09:41.

nano god modus from quake

and a lil nerf make log out time a bit more than tms

so i can give u some love after tms alt f4

AT gives 23 attack rating and its one of the highest nanos (like 600ish skills nano i believe) and giving 23 attack rating ???? you must be kidding if you look other profs (points at Fixers) it atleast should be 23% then i would say something
    (Original) lvl 200 Neutral -Soldier-
    Lance"Jovilen" Scheer

oh and the other thing total focus..... they MUST take the evade - points.... an other stupid thing
    (Original) lvl 200 Neutral -Soldier-
    Lance"Jovilen" Scheer

This needs to go back up, 'less it fall into obscurity.

bump me
    SS - Grandmaster of Fall Damage

Property of the Devil

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for anyone drops to zero

up

wtb crusader chant