Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 31st, 2009 - It is still Friday in North America

Funcom employee Friday with Means - July 31st, 2009 - It is still Friday in North America

Midnight posting FTW!

This will be the last Friday with ME for a few weeks while I take my first real vacation (3 weeks in Canada...back for one week...then off to DragonCon!) in two years. My Grandparents haven't seen my children for two years...it has been too long. In my absence Kintaii will be keeping you guys up to date on the going on's in the AO office. I am interested to see what kind of trouble they get up to while I am gone. Though I will be making a sincere effort at un-plugging for awhile I am sure this will boil down to only checking the forums 3 times a day and making two international phone calls.

Macrosun and Lindelu were both on vacation this week...it was so lonely. Thank god Kintaii was back to boost my spirits with his great sense of humor, optimism, and nicotine breakfasts. Whenever Macrosun is out of the office we have daily prayers/sacrifices that nothing breaks/fails in a horrible manner. Though the deaths of many small furry helpless animals and a few junior designers has been largely successful there are still some nasty things waiting for him when he gets back from his non-communicado ocean sailing trip. I hope he isn't reading this.

The engine team is making solid progress and less than two months in we are already seeing statel, ground and the beginning of character rendering. Seeing a hardware mouse in AO always makes me want to weep with joy. The little things they show me every day keep my faith up that we will eventually make it there...I think that is why they show me. I'm hoping to be able to start putting up screens of the new engine when I get back from my trip. Right now it isn't pretty...but the bones and muscles are being put in place...I'll wait for the skin so nobody gets shocked.

The new playfield designed by Genele is getting close to completion (significantly delayed by constant heated balance discussions..). I should really say "playfieldS". This is a new concept for AO. The experience begins as a single player quest-driven instance...when the player completes it...the playfield is changed forever based on the actions of the player in keeping with the story...and the playfield becomes a repeatable team-instance for that character for the future. I like the idea of the world changing as you experience the story..I'd like to see more of it in the future. I played through the solo experience today...it was fun This will likely be coming near the end of August.

We had screens up of the first Opifex female head to get the new engine overhaul type treatment earlier...Flaptoot spent considerable time this week working on the similar upgrade to the opifex female body. Project "High-Poly Breasts" is in full swing and making good progress. I was hoping to have screens and possible video for this week but we didn't quite make it. After seeing the complexity of the changes required to the super old weighting system used by the old models I'm amazed how much actually got done this week. I am also amazed at how much this effort needs a better name. His artist partner in crime "MstrBstrd" spent this week focused on modeling the first new Nanomage head (Textured by Genele). From the screens posted below we also had a go at seeing this new head in the current engine of AO...I can't wait to see how great this is going to look with the anti-aliasing and improved texture rendering of the new engine...I think it looks perfect now..I really think the team nailed this one right on the first try. I think the feel is completely right...the pulsing UV animation of the eyes can't be seen in the screens...but damn it looks good...I can't wait to see what the artists are going to be able to produce in the new engine when they can make the old engine look this good.

Hope to see some of you on my vacation and at Dragoncon. I leave you in Kintaii's capable hands. The only screens from me in the next few weeks are likely to be me with a beverage close to a body of water. I am also likely to be very very slow at responding to PMs.

Sorry to the Germans...I posted this very late...not Waldgeist's fault it isn't translated...only mine.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Hi Means !

Hi Kintaii <3 !
    Last edited by Cratapapy; Jul 31st, 2009 at 23:54:00.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Cratapapy View Post
    Hi Means !
    20 seconds! OMG is that you outside my house hacking my wireless network? :P
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

looks quite nice, gonna be awesome with the grapics update for sure
    - Xcellers
    Alexander "Xcellers" Voss
    Info Loadout Inner Circle
    Exiled Member of Inner Circle

Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.
    OTAF Battle Manual

ah-HAH!

I feel sorry for poor Mstrbstrd having to model all those heads.
    Last edited by Technogen; Aug 1st, 2009 at 00:19:11.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Hey baby, nice dodecahedrons. Wanna party?

Muchly impressed with the head... looks stunning imho

Amonette 220 Soldier Nyrec 220 Agent Mekon 220 Crat Mekamara 220 Engineer
    ────────────────────────────────────────────
    Dark Front (Because the sun shines outta my....)

Good mock up, putting them side by side like that.

I sure look forward to hearing from Kintaii and the new rendering engine.

Happy holidays Means

Kind Regards
    Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Most of us are more interested in the high poly breasts than those nanomage pics.

Taking questions? Good.

Means, any idea of when those 'soon' to come crat pet upgrades are coming? Let me put it this way, do you want me to bug you as much as Sterva does with questions?

Character name changes? AoC does it and I'm sure you'd like to take more of our money.

Increased VP gains from LE missions?

My tone is a direct reflection of your attitude.

220 Wiseguy - Bureaucrat
    ... and a bevy of underequipped 220's

Account Created 16 July 2001

Can't wait to see more. Enjoy your vacation.

Looks good guys! I can hardly wait for Project "High-Poly Breasts" to get done with soli females tho <3 <3 <3

Oh and don't take this the wrong way but don't forget to include male models in this project, some chest muscles are never wrong...

Edit: w00t! First page!! =D
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Means - any plans on a lookover of TL2 PVP profession imbalances? Just want your opinion on how you think the hierarchy of professions stands (if you need a post to clarify, I have/had one going in Game Mechanics).

The nanomage face looks wonderful. Great job, and good post. We'll miss ya this month
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Have a good holiday. I know what it's like to not have one in a few years. Get whatever possible out of it And the faces look great, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    Means - any plans on a lookover of TL2 PVP profession imbalances? Just want your opinion on how you think the hierarchy of professions stands (if you need a post to clarify, I have/had one going in Game Mechanics).
    I appreciate the TL2 problem but there are more widespread best practices in lower level brackets of what you should bring to a pvp fight.

TL2 enfs, traders (and jame sols?) rule the roost (thanks to Saetos's case study for analysis)

TL3 you might want to roll enf, trader, MP, NR agent (if lazy) and maybe something else if you're very resourceful.

TL5 the professions to pick are again enfs, traders, but also NT, advy, doc, agent are very strong. MA's can work, as can fixers, them being a profession that can be made to work to an extent in lower brackets as well (to my knowledge).

So some examples of the ground rules are, then:

- Don't pick a pet profession for anything TL5, lower brackets are mostly bad as well
    - Keepers and shades don't really cut the mustard either

There is an overall imbalance due to mostly level locked toolsets (perks/nanos/weapons) on some professions but not others (hai nanite drains, worthless lowbie eng blockers etc), lack of viable weapons on some professions whereas others get very uber and usable twink weapons (hai TL2 JAME, beaters etc) and outdated, avoidable or easily nullifiable toolsets (e.g. pets and removing their capacity to function via either debuffs or run-away).
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

The nanomage head looks great. I imagine it must be a lot of work updating all the models like that one by one.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Sexy faces!!
    No more ugly NMs ftw!

bump for sexy opis...

mmmmm
    -------------------

Kaze (RK1):
    Eltaco238 - 220/30/70 Adventurer -- Mptaco238 - 220/27/70 Meta-Physicist
    Engytaco238 - 220/30/70 Engineer -- Crattaco238 - 220/30/70 Bureaucrat

Leet Snuggle Club (RK1): ~Have you hugged a leet today?~
    Leetums - 200/0/0 Fixer -- Fuzzyleet 200/0/0 Agent - Rangytaco238 200/0/0 Trader

Leet Version plox!

I'm looking forward to this new solo/team instance. I am curious to see how the "playfield is changed forever" after the solo quest is completed. How is this accomplished? You probably don't want to give anything away, but at least tell me if it is more than just "Complete the quest... A door opens".
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Project "High-Poly Breasts" is in full swing and making good progress.
    Priceless!
    Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast