Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 26th, 2009 - The dead awaken and consume coffee.

game loading and zoning works MUCH faster now.

i have bad LD issues as some ppl know. the last patch made me not have any LD at all, at least before rollback.

after rollback, i have some LD, but still less than i had before patch.

all in all, good job. id say correcting old issues in the game is something that was needed for some time. plx keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisax View Post
    On that day, though, make a social T-shirt and sign for us "Newbies welcome here" that we can wear or hold to tell new players we are ready to help them and they can talk to us.
    Bump for this. I think it would go a long ways towards improving new players' opinions of AO if there were a lot of vets wearing t-shirts/holding up signs saying something like "welcome to Anarchy Online" (which would also be slightly ironic, because generally if you see that it means you have LDed, which is something you don't want) or some other newbie encouraging phrase. I'm sure a lot of the community would be willing to do that.

Also, I appreciate the effort the team went through to get things fixed. It's likely not very easy dealing with the archaic code of former coders.
    Last edited by Prokyon; Jun 26th, 2009 at 18:48:27.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Prokyon, 220 Opifex Clan Agent on RK1

Quote Originally Posted by Prokyon View Post
    Bump for this. I think it would go a long ways towards improving new players' opinions of AO if there were a lot of vets wearing t-shirts/holding up signs saying something like "welcome to Anarchy Online" (which would also be slightly ironic, because generally if you see that it means you have LDed, which is something you don't want) or some other newbie encouraging phrase. I'm sure a lot of the community would be willing to do that.
    It's a nice idea and all but apparently a lot of new comers never get off of newbie isl. So they would never see people standing around with such shirts or signs.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    It's a nice idea and all but apparently a lot of new comers never get off of newbie isl. So they would never see people standing around with such shirts or signs.
    That's true. Newb island should be drastically revamped before the engine (and hopefully the marketing that comes with it) hits live. If this happens and new players actually make it off newb island, then that would be very, very good.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Do not mention 12.6 aside that it happened. Nothing to see here, move along.
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

good deal

keep up the good work

It has been an awesome birthday month and week. I love the new changes.. I even loved all the fun we had during the patching and a result of the rollback in the forums.. Thanks a ton to the codemonkey's that worked tirelessly on this and got things right as rian so quickly. As always Means keep up the good work.

PS: In game mail system.. I am so going to logon to test and hump Macrosun's leg on my agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethyrguard View Post
    It has been an awesome birthday month and week. I love the new changes.. I even loved all the fun we had during the patching and a result of the rollback in the forums.. Thanks a ton to the codemonkey's that worked tirelessly on this and got things right as rian so quickly. As always Means keep up the good work.

PS: In game mail system.. I am so going to logon to test and hump Macrosun's leg on my agent.
    Make sure you use Ruse 4+Slayerdroid Transference+Quantum wings for maximum effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Stepping into the AO universe and making the kinds of changes we have been making for the past year are always horribly risky. I also like to think we are really beginning to make progress...and despite the loss of 11 hours this week I feel like we are starting to make good progress. Again I am sorry that any of the pain and suffering we normally deal with when combating the old issues of AO spilled out onto our players. I hope we can enjoy another 6 years before this kind of issue gets us again.

I am going to choose to see the positive aspects of what we are all achieving together in making AO better rather than dwelling on this incident and letting it scare us away from making the dangerous changes that are necessary to make AO the game it always should have been. I love AO now...but it can be so much better as long as we never give up. We'll get there.
    I knew one day he would mention AO Universe!

Ok, shameless plug, so sue me.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

*Sues Windguaerd and buys XP stims*

Gotta speculate to accumulate y'know!
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Macrosun still found time this week to start work on an in-game mail system.
    Awesome. Now just add in the Centralized Shopping Database ( auction house ), tie it into the mail system, and remove the need for player shops.

And while you said before you don't like this idea because it would "split up the playerbase", answer me this:

What splits up the playerbase more?

Everyone running off in 2 thousand different directions to go hunt down the items they just bought in some obscure non-instanced player city where there are no players?

Or everyone gathered together at their respective CSD (Rome Blue, Old Athens, and Borealis) shopping, talking, and interacting?

Furthermore, how much sense story wise does it really make that on a planet that has resisted terraforming on 90% of its surface, some Joe Schmoe's have slapped pristine player cities down all over making RK look like Vegas?
    Last edited by Siahanor; Jun 26th, 2009 at 21:42:30.

I'd prefer to see a system where the current shops are retained. Give the buyer an option to pay a fee, something like 10%, to have it instantly delivered to their mailbox. You could then also implement shops in instanced cities where a fee would be charged to both the seller and the buyer, say 10% each. This keeps real cities attractive as its the cheapest way to sell goods, it allows people to get their instant gratification when shopping if they are willing to pay and it gives full functionality to instanced cities but at a cost. Added bonus is a bit of a cred sink.

No matter what they do, I hope it keeps the same flat price sales structure rather than an auction system. Just say no to AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Rewo View Post
    I'd prefer to see a system where the current shops are retained. Give the buyer an option to pay a fee, something like 10%, to have it instantly delivered to their mailbox. You could then also implement shops in instanced cities where a fee would be charged to both the seller and the buyer, say 10% each. This keeps real cities attractive as its the cheapest way to sell goods, it allows people to get their instant gratification when shopping if they are willing to pay and it gives full functionality to instanced cities but at a cost. Added bonus is a bit of a cred sink.

No matter what they do, I hope it keeps the same flat price sales structure rather than an auction system. Just say no to AH.
    Boohoo. Someone might undercut that 300 billion cred item and actually bring the economy back toward reality.

And the only ones who really want the shop are those delusional ones who think a non-instanced city is worth 5bil because of them.

Mail system

The mail system sounds fascinating. Two questions:

1) Will we be able to send items?
    2) If yes to 1, will Global Market Search deliver through mail?

..and a bonus question:

If yes to 2, will instanced cities be able to have a shop building after all?
    Hlep gnak!

Thumbs up

Great work Means and Co., and thanks for checking out my toon going into the instance, it was a crummy client

Just noticed, no mention of AO's 8th Anniversary or Celebrations at the Official Website...

GIANT /FAIL!
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Just noticed, no mention of AO's 8th Anniversary or Celebrations at the Official Website...

GIANT /FAIL!
    they don't want new customers to know how old the game really is
    Darkkblood level 220 MA AI:18

Darkmetals level 149 Eng AI:0

I wonder if means gets mad...."the help from the community" was really more like "OMGWTFBBQ YOU BROKE THE SERVER I WANT 11 HOURS OF CREDIT" lol....if I was means id go crazy and start screamin screw you guys, im goin home...hats off to your patience my man
    SeniorFresh 220/20 Fixer RK2
    DocFresh 220/19 Doctor RK2
    MadCratter 220/70/30 Crat Rk2
    Turkeyfart 220/70/17 Keeper Rk2
    McStabbz 220/70/30 Shade RK2
    Eratus 165/14 Trader Rk2

Quote Originally Posted by IpwnThee View Post
    I wonder if means gets mad...."the help from the community" was really more like "OMGWTFBBQ YOU BROKE THE SERVER I WANT 11 HOURS OF CREDIT" lol....if I was means id go crazy and start screamin screw you guys, im goin home...hats off to your patience my man
    [cartman]Screw you guys, I'm going home![/cartman]
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast