Thread: Ao2

Thumbs down Ao2

Seeing how Ao is slowly turning into a mess, i was wondering:

Why dont you guys introduce AO2, and let people transfer their old AO characters into that. - It would enable people to all join one server, you could mess up as much as you want, i would stick with AO and be happy...

I am so sick of all the changes..... you are changing more then you do any good! You create more and more problems that turn into more changes which will have to be corrected by more changes and so forth, it is ridiculous!

Ballancing would have been finished with 3 or 4 changes to a few profs and things. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo you had to go all the way...
    RK1

220/30 Soldier, 220/22 Shade, 170/24 Agent, 150/14 NT, 150/14 Adv, 150/19 Keeper, 150/20 Crat, 165/21 Fixer, 150/20 MA, 150/18 Doc, 100/10 MP, 150/11 Trader
    60/06 Enfo, 60/06 Engi, 60/06 Fixer

I like the game.

This is not a suggestion so much as wishful thinking, but I would love it if the entire game were to be reset to before SL came out. All MMORPGs have a "power creep", but SL was more like a power explosion. And the developers who came after SL have had the unenviable task of one-upping SL in later expansions without letting the power creep get out of control.

By now I genuinely don't think it's possible to balance the game, but the current developers have to play the cards they've been dealt. Cut them some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevo-RK3 View Post
    Seeing how Ao is slowly turning into a mess
    AO has been a mess for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by genocyde21 View Post
    AO has been a mess for a long time.
    And we love it for it.
    Hello and welcome to The Internet. Please leave your common sense, decency and humanity with the doorman. Have a nice stay.

Squad Commander and resident Shade of When I Grow Up

Is your GUI getting in the way of playing AO?
    Do you want to be able to take screenshots quickly and easily without hotbars, wings and chat windows getting in the way?
    Are you getting tired of that blue colour scheme?
    Try using my Uncluttered GUI!

Quote Originally Posted by Scabadus View Post
    And we love it for it.
    AO is one of the oldest mmorpgs out there, so, considering all it's been through, and it's still going, and how HEATED the discussions are over it, I'd say it's doing quite well.

Hell, I spend more time in the 8 hours I'm at work making crazy forum pvp than I do building geochemical models :/ uhoh here coems my boss.

Well yes, AO has been around for ages, and i loved it! But what about things like: Never change a winnig horse and so forth... They slowly mess up all the things that many of us liked...
    RK1

220/30 Soldier, 220/22 Shade, 170/24 Agent, 150/14 NT, 150/14 Adv, 150/19 Keeper, 150/20 Crat, 165/21 Fixer, 150/20 MA, 150/18 Doc, 100/10 MP, 150/11 Trader

You can move to WoW and *imagine* it's AO2. With a little bit of "rebalancing" and fluff.
    Techno "Calamite" Witch -- 220/22 soli crat
    Hbar -- 220/28 nano NT
    Electropanic -- 170/17 opi NT
    Insanenomore - 174/17 soli engi
    Darksmile -- 220/21 nano enf
    Drifting -- 150/8 nano MP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    got more, but don't remember their names

Quote Originally Posted by Nevo-RK3 View Post
    Well yes, AO has been around for ages, and i loved it! But what about things like: Never change a winnig horse and so forth... They slowly mess up all the things that many of us liked...
    Yeh with that attitude u wont stay at the top. If u are training to be the best at something, do u when u reach the top say.. Well that was that, now lets sit on the bench cause now that ive reached it no1 else will try to get here and steal what i earned in the past?

No u keep going at it, u alter a few things to keep up with the rest. U do everything to keep urself at the top of ur game. This applies to anything that is competitive and in this industry im pretty sure its competitive. How many times havent u heard ppl saying im leaving for WoW or im leaving for AoC.

In ur attempts at getting "back" at the top u always come into some problems. Federer wasnt #1 in one day, nor did Nadal allow him to keep it and win every tournament. Ur toons i take it change alot of their equipment over time especially over the now 8-9 years AO is active.

Like that AO has to change to keep up to date, coming into some things that are less effective than others is part of the procces. Plus afaik AO2 would be when the new engine comes out. Or theyd call it AO 20.0.0 or something i guess.

As for the initial idea of transfering everything to a new Engine/Server it initially sounds like a good idea. But as u said ud stay with the current server. Im thinking ur not gonna be the only one, then ppl get split up over servers, ppl start screaming that their server lacks population and u get the RK3/2 to RK1 merge posts all over with different names.

What AO needs is for us as a community to stop asking sidethings like instances, xp and stuff that dont matter as much. And start foccusing on the Engine and Balance only, we then have to wait for FC to do the work while we happily play the game. Then once its out there comes the time for a big fat shoutout to all the WoW/AoC freaks saying that AO 20.0.0 rocks, that it leaves other MMOs in the dust. Then population has to rise again. And thats the point at which u can talk about minorities again.

As it is the game works very good, u can do what u want. U can go do raids, finish ur charackters make new ones, or even experience the game all over by starting over if u like. Its already got so much to offer, but what shouldnt happen is yet another delay on engine (cause thats what will happen if u make AO2) which will give a definite bang of which some ppl will say that its the last straw.

Then as to why it has to be balanced. It has to be balanced because ppl are gonna have to feel it is balanced and any proffesion is interresting when the new influx of players comes after the Engine comes in and the promotion happens.

Atleast thats my pov

Quote Originally Posted by Metafly7 View Post
    Then as to why it has to be balanced. It has to be balanced because ppl are gonna have to feel it is balanced and any proffesion is interresting when the new influx of players comes after the Engine comes in and the promotion happens.
    The game is pretty balanced, but not around what most here expect, being a 1:10 death/kill ratio.
    Zirkonium 220 Nanomage Engineer - RK2 - Omni
    Mereditche 170 Opifex Agent - RK2 - Omni
    Misfiled 49 Nanomage Enforcer - RK2 - Omni (First! Mongo Smash!)

Quote Originally Posted by Metafly7 View Post
    As it is the game works very good, u can do what u want. U can go do raids, finish ur charackters make new ones, or even experience the game all over by starting over if u like. Its already got so much to offer, but what shouldnt happen is yet another delay on engine (cause thats what will happen if u make AO2) which will give a definite bang of which some ppl will say that its the last straw.

Atleast thats my pov
    Exactly my point, it was fine as it was! There are soooo many things that are much much much more important than the ballancing as it takes place right now! AO is not unballanced in a way that justifies all the changes ahead! And it would have taken much less to actually ballance it! What Funcom is doing right now is: Shooting with Cannons at sparrows (as we would say here in germany). Waaaayyyyyy too many changes... screwing one thing after the other, creating new problems to be solved, every time!

I would have been much more impressed if all the work that goes into all those changes right now, would have gone into the new engine, new content, servertransfer issues, and what not!

I am not saying evolution is bad, or that there is nothing that has to be done... only that priorities are messed up, and that there things that do need to be looked at first!

What is the point of ballancing stuff, if there are now players left.. (DNW)
    RK1

Let's make AO 2 ourself?
    With skilled and unpaid volunteers it might cost ~2000€ + time

Nice post Metafly7, it has touched me nicely in case you are right.
    I got same feeling or rather to say hoping in that "AO2". God, no delay anymore please. People can not wait(like me^^). Ppl in the classroom would finally stop to say "what a poor gfx",rep,"gtfo u gfx noob". I think they have to make each professions original again, like enf,doc WONT go evade(eg). Just let the proffs do that they were supposed for. Many proffs can be replaced with other proffs so the proffs loose their oneness. Lets hope for better times. Crysis were - crysis will.
    Remember when LE came out, so many ppl was explaining, we got over it