Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Frid...*ahem* Saturday with Means - June 13th, 2009 - I'm not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    (I am aware of real-time ray tracing engines)
    LOL, Powered by what? Klod whines? Teh Forum Stoopids? Aliens on Cocaine? Oh, er...you said slow. My bad.

For the unwashed:
    Getting a full raytrace engine to give 30+ frames a second with more then the standard spinning cube test is maddening. Getting one to render all the misc crap on say...a 50 vs 50 pvp fight or 75 person pand raid (with all the junk flying around) on a standard dual or four core system with matched SLI cards will still give you a slide show.

on a side note, one of my partners in crime is constantly bitching about my poly count(s) for that exact reason.
    Last edited by Solstiare; Jun 17th, 2009 at 06:59:33.
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Solstiare View Post
    LOL, Powered by what?
    Powered by some heavy SSE magic

http://igad.nhtv.nl/~bikker/

It's all done on the CPU and scales quite nicely.
    When Larrabee hits it will run several times faster.

About the vid you showed, even I can write a ray tracer that renders that in real-time :P
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jun 17th, 2009 at 07:09:31.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Solstiare View Post
    on a side note, one of my partners in crime is constantly bitching about my poly count(s) for that exact reason.
    Can we call you Hi-Poly Purebred?

Quote Originally Posted by makerofnoise View Post
    I've got a question about upcomming content,

The Awakened Xan says us that "The Great Manipulator" wants to destroy this world and by his side walks another Awakened.

First: Where's the rest of the eight Xan? We've met only 2 so far.
    http://static.ao-universe.com/websit...akened_xan.jpg
    one

http://static.ao-universe.com/websit...redemption.jpg
    two

http://static.ao-universe.com/websit...f_insanity.jpg
    three

http://static.ao-universe.com/websit...of_madness.jpg

four

http://static.ao-universe.com/websit...ranged_xan.jpg
    five

at less that what's i tought, but where are the 3 last...(new content maybe)

Means i hope that you fell good nowaday, try to find a doc for a CH or try that http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=204142

ps : Me want shiny pant, and new engine info
    Xeratrading 220/26 NM trader|||Methalix 220/21 Atrox Enforcer
    Methaball 176/4 Atrox MP|||Xeradoc 150/16 Solitus Doctor
    Methafire 150/20 Atrox Soldier|||Xeradvent 121/10 Solitus Adventurer
    Xeranuke 186/17 Solitus Nano-technician
    Xeracrat 200/21 Solitus Bureaucrat
    President of ~~ Athalantes ~~
    Squad Commander of The Glowing Nightfliers

Not my cube vid, linked it for the unwashed so they know what it is. Point is that full ray tracing in an in game "raid" environment (read: loads of characters, particle lighting effects, environment lighting, mobs, ect), currently takes a beast of a system to chug through, never mind trying full motion

The next round of g-cards and processors are another story.
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

Far as I know one of the advantages of raytracing is the number of polygons on screen doesn't really affect performance, it's resolution that's the issue when a proper number of rays have been determined. I could be wrong of course.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Far as I know one of the advantages of raytracing is the number of polygons on screen doesn't really affect performance, it's resolution that's the issue when a proper number of rays have been determined. I could be wrong of course.
    okay, I'm trying tofollow along on the sidelines here.

So with this raytracing, you could have a high number of polygons without a performance hit, but having say 2048 x 2048 resolution textures as compared to 1024 x 1024 textures would be the bog down factor? Or did you mean another type of resolution? I'm a software n00b, so forgive me if I seem dumb here.

i m interested in what is meant by "bots"?

i dont think that the org bots are causing that trouble. that bots just connecting to the chat server - and also do just normal request on xml player infos.

perhaps we should change that "bots" to "net attacks"

Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    okay, I'm trying tofollow along on the sidelines here.

So with this raytracing, you could have a high number of polygons without a performance hit, but having say 2048 x 2048 resolution textures as compared to 1024 x 1024 textures would be the bog down factor? Or did you mean another type of resolution? I'm a software n00b, so forgive me if I seem dumb here.
    I meant rendering resolution, texture resolution I guess would still be an issue, vram wise and throughput wise... but I'm not really familiar at all with raytracing :|
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Wurzelfamilie View Post
    i m interested in what is meant by "bots"?

i dont think that the org bots are causing that trouble. that bots just connecting to the chat server - and also do just normal request on xml player infos.

perhaps we should change that "bots" to "net attacks"
    Most Bots connect to the PoRK database to do !whois, it's used (my guess) thousands of times a day, but if several are set to automatically run !whois command without triggering the spam warning filter (try doing 10 lines of text in a row quick, the system stops you from spamming) then in theory it could trigger a bottleneck because the db can't answer as fast as the inquiries are hitting it. They could have used 5 bots, or 50, we don't know. Since it's not required to use the login screen to run a bot, imagine... 10 froob accounts (easy to make) x 8 character slots, within an hour 80 bots could be running nonstop, spamming the hell out of the db.

Evil mofos.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

That's why most bots have a whois table. They only check xml when someone isn't in it or to refresh data.
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    That's why most bots have a whois table. They only check xml when someone isn't in it or to refresh data.
    Unless the bot was modified to always check the db, the source of the problem was still a bot regardless.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Unless the bot was modified to always check the db, the source of the problem was still a bot regardless.
    I disagree, the source of the problem was the Figgurfurbingurbinburbibmurbinmitzermurbin people who set up the bots in the first place.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

I don't whine.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    I disagree, the source of the problem was the Figgurfurbingurbinburbibmurbinmitzermurbin people who set up the bots in the first place.
    The people behind the attacks, probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making a bot from scratch (meaning coding it themselves), I think it very likely they took an already made bot and modified it.

They used the work of others to attack the game. If someone shoots you with a gun, even if it's stolen, it doesn't take away the fact, that you got shot with a gun regardless of who it is registered to.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    The people behind the attacks, probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making a bot from scratch (meaning coding it themselves), I think it very likely they took an already made bot and modified it.

They used the work of others to attack the game. If someone shoots you with a gun, even if it's stolen, it doesn't take away the fact, that you got shot with a gun regardless of who it is registered to.
    I agree, but it's the person who shot the gun, not the gun itself or the one who made it that's really to blame.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Gun is a bad analogy as AO bots weren't made to start DoS attacks. Let's say he used a chair.
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    I agree, but it's the person who shot the gun, not the gun itself or the one who made it that's really to blame.
    If someone says he is gonna put a bullet in your head, raises his arm and then shows an empty hand, he is getting a beat down for threatening a life.

No gun, no pew pew.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I no longer care if this was a "childhood indescretion" that will cripple your future or not. This warning is much more courtesy and forgiveness than last weekend's offenders deserve....and it will be the last warning. At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me. Moving in the video game industry made me more relaxed as the day-to-day activities were lighthearted and fun...if continued activity like this forces me to be serious someone will regret it.
    This is the kind of person that needs to be in charge to get things done. It's good to know you are kind because the community of AO is such an awkward bunch of mischievous jokers (the haha Im just wearing a red thong :P /hug 'ing u) but that you'd be willing to go the distance to make a point when someone ruins the game for all.

<3
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Dammit. You just gave away the next expansion concept...there is no way I'm going to come up with something else half as cool. Who wouldn't want shiny pants...pants with power!

"Anarchy Online - SHINY PANTS!!"
    Bungerman does.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast