Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Frid...*ahem* Saturday with Means - June 13th, 2009 - I'm not dead.

sunday - with a turkey and a box of tissues

Quote Originally Posted by Talita View Post
    The video that was released is not applicable any longer as they have now changed engines again I believe, so it may look totally different, not 100% but I'm sure someone else will have an opinion on this also.

Tal
    I did mention that a few posts earlier and that is why I referred to the video and improved common element population as being from the old new engine in the post you quoted. Although while I'm sure things won't be exactly the same it still will not change the fact that the new new rendering engine will handle effects better than the current one and add the option of using ones the current one can't.

To get a general idea as to how things like water and shadows could look/work with the current one though we can look at Age of Conan. Both will be using Dreamworld and in AoC there are the same kind of detailed shadows and shiny reflective water, better shading, better lighting, etc... Things won't look just like AoC of course but we should at least get a basic idea as to how the effects could look.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Seriously though...Enno has added the ability for us to make that nasty, glinty, shiny black armor actually shiny and glinty. Very very cool. Self illuminating body textures are coming too thanks to Enno.
    Hmm, lets hope it's not like they have in SecondLife.

I really, really, really, really, really (really) don't want to see people running around with those super nova glowing/shiny things on them in AO like you can in SL...

SL "Bling"

Please don't make it like that Means
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

getting whined to death just because of asking

Means. Release the next patch already, Those shiny pants sound interesting.

Shiny and Glinty, without the boring non-Shiny, non-Glinty texture.

w00t for means
    thanks for sorting out the lag for us all, amazing work from funcom and means.
    “You can't undo anything you've already done, but you can face up to it. You can tell the truth. You can seek forgiveness. And then let fate do the rest.”
    Proud Member of steadfast <3
    Love you guys! <3

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    "Coming soon" at the end ... <3

Giant walls of "grrr" and/or "wah" ... </3

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Seriously though...Enno has added the ability for us to make that nasty, glinty, shiny black armor actually shiny and glinty. Very very cool. Self illuminating body textures are coming too thanks to Enno.
    Yay for shiny... oooooooh, aaaaaaaah @,@

Thanks for the eye candy!

Would love to see a screenie/vid... If I show you my engine, will you show me yours?

P.S. Glad you're feeling better btw Means ==b
    Troxxor - Atrox Enforcer - My Ganker [Target]
    Slights - Solitus Enforcer - My Tanker [Target]

Loyal General of Ascension
    www.clan-ascension.org
    Rimor | Clan
    Significant Alts: SlightChange | Bokken | Takken

...87th !!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Iceness1 View Post
    Sixty-Second!
    ...if you count OP :/

Quote Originally Posted by troxxor View Post
    If I show you my engine, will you show me yours?
    lol
    i R not spik engrish

About the next 3D engine, this personal picture say it all:

I just hope this announcement about the futur 3D upgrading is a real thing ^^
    (I'm pretty sure the next AO engine will not look like this screenshot, for tons of reasons and I can explain some, but I'm just hopping that this annoucement about new Engine will not join the Duke Nukem Forever Club ;^)

Maybe that's why we need to see some more, Means ^^ ( plx! )
    Last edited by ZooNWarp; Jun 16th, 2009 at 21:34:45.
    220 Solitus Fixer - Anarchist of "La Troupe" - AO Player since Feb 2005

So the shiny pants are in this version of AO? I am confused by those statements
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    So the shiny pants are in this version of AO? I am confused by those statements
    shiny pants inc!

not yet, but soon

Quote Originally Posted by Ninj00 View Post
    shiny pants inc!

not yet, but soon
    They're not actually "shiny pants", but rather "pants with a shiny spot due to continuous rubbing".

Should we start buggin how things look now? Problem with that old video is that there have been quite a lot of changes aren't there?

Any plans where we can degenerate this thread next friday, or will it be of for thursday do some mid-summer partying?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Thx u again `Means` to fix our dimension today in 4 hourts hard work on Rk3 again with the lag´s.

If we get shiny/reflective armor, how about Kyr Axes and swords and similar weapons being able to reflect their surroundings - you get to see your reflection in the blade right before it lops your head off.
    I am Dagget

so we had to wait a whole day last week, we getting thursday with means this week to even things out?
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by vadagget View Post
    If we get shiny/reflective armor, how about Kyr Axes and swords and similar weapons being able to reflect their surroundings - you get to see your reflection in the blade right before it lops your head off.
    Mmmmm see your death before it happens! BRILLIANT!

Quote Originally Posted by Talita View Post
    The video that was released is not applicable any longer as they have now changed engines again I believe, so it may look totally different, not 100% but I'm sure someone else will have an opinion on this also.

Tal
    It won't be too different probably.
    I CBA to go into the details now though

Quote Originally Posted by vadagget View Post
    Reflections are very annoying to do on a GPU.
    Basically the way a GPU works is already a big hack, the way shadows work is a bigger hack and the way proper reflections work makes your hardware cry
    Most games only give you the illusion something is reflecting, but when you check you'll often notice its completely incorrect.
    There are a few exceptions to where proper reflections are doable (like a single mirror) but on items like swords it's hell to do.
    They could do the appearance of a reflection though, but you won't see a head being chopped off in the reflection as that would be a proper reflection.

Ray tracing on the other hand handles all those things perfectly, but it's horribly slow (relatively. I am aware of real-time ray tracing engines)
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jun 17th, 2009 at 06:03:42.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast