Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 29th, 2009

new sl instance

More info about the new SL instance please! Purely for xp? Level restrictions? Sounds amazing... keep up the great work.

Bummer about the engine switch, but we all know it will be well worth it. I just hope a media campaign accompanies it!

Can't wait!

wohoo page 5!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    -really wordy post almost repeating what I said but with way to many words to do so and a twist of lemon..-
    Interesting comeback.. if someone were to only read your post they might be confused. You do realize how off base your statements are tho in the tiny way you alter it? Seriously, I said quite simply that I would be very surprised to not see a feature that is already present not be present when the switch is made and you respond with this extremely wordy post essentially saying what I just did except as if you are arguing with me? You are not supporting your first statement attempting to contradict me in anyway. Very intersting attempt tho. Do you always put this many words in to posts saying so little?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Imagine the riots on forum if the new dungeon looks just like an inferno team mission filled with hecklers in the corridors.
    Rofl!
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    NOTE
    If all goes well with the above attempt to split the database...it should no longer be "full".
    @macrosun I think
    does this mean that you didn;t convert to the new db version and split parts of the database in more then one database or is it just some wording issue and there is nothing to worry about.
    Writing this as patching for test and looks like it is converting to a new db just want to be sure because if you split it in multiple instances of the old one you will get the same problem later (and I imagine less clear code/more work).

ps. all hail Macrosun!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UaintSeenMe
    Besides, could be worse, i could be using grenade.

Quote Originally Posted by orionat View Post
    @macrosun I think
    does this mean that you didn;t convert to the new db version and split parts of the database in more then one database or is it just some wording issue and there is nothing to worry about.
    Writing this as patching for test and looks like it is converting to a new db just want to be sure because if you split it in multiple instances of the old one you will get the same problem later (and I imagine less clear code/more work).

ps. all hail Macrosun!!!
    DB-files have to eventualy be splitted, if they don't want to screw those users with older file-systems and 4GB file limitation. More complex, but something which have to be done eventualy...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Well, we've already seen updated face meshes from Means for toons in Ogre, which will probably carry over to AoC engine, and they are enhanced a lot. While we may not get the mechanics of body/face manipulation, there will probably be a vast array of stuff that indeed gets the poly count increase.
    Thing is that they aren't necessarily going to look just like that in game. The way some things look when shown by the modeling software and how well they look in game aren't always the same. Also just because it looks better doesn't mean the poly count took a big jump up. They may have just managed to learn how to get more out of what they have to work with. Some of those OFAB weapons or such look pretty sweet compare to the clunky old early days of AO ones for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethyrguard View Post
    Interesting comeback.. if someone were to only read your post they might be confused.
    From the start of your series of posts you were going on how just because feature A is in AoC and Dreamworld is coming to AO feature A should be expected in AO. Others have basically done the same as well and I was from the start directing my posts to not just you and still am. The part that deals with just you may be only a small part of the whole post. Feature A in your case was turning on and off displayed textures on the character, something we already have to a certain extent in AO. So it never needed Dreamworld to start with. We even have the social tab which is basically the same thing, just applied to many spots at once.

No matter the feature they still have to make adjustments to apply it to a game like AO that doesn't use it now. Some of these more demanding features while nice and all would up the requirements a good bit. It takes more to display moving/flowing things and more to show highly customized faces compared to face texture A on model 1. They have said they do not want a considerable system req increase so don't expect a huge volume of very nice features like flowing hair, waving capes, highly detailed and custom faces and other such things. Applying them once for just your char may not be a big deal but when you can run into dozens of others all at once moving around with all of that as well it does push things harder.

With better lighting, shadowing and so forth along with better video card support we should expect things in general to look somewhat better and run smoother. They said they are adding some new and nice things at the same time and down the line. Although AO won't get a vast and dramatic bump up bringing it to around the detail of recent games.

Bump for new visible items! I can't wait to find out something that's been bothering me for some time now... how on Earth (Rubi-Ka, sorry) do you wear a freaking EGG on your shoulder? I mean, i have seen some politicians on the news do that, but it didn't give them any extra Intelligence or Psychic ability.
    Mpfha - your friendly neighborhood metaphysicist

Quote Originally Posted by Rustinel View Post
    A word to the whining Neutrals...Quit it! I rolled neut 5 years ago cos I didn't want the same char as everyone else. I wanted more of a challenge, to be less 'cookie cutter'. So stop trying to make us the same as the sided mkay?

Neuts are fine as they are. I cherish our difference and independance. It pains me to say it but really, those who are whining should really go pick a side and be done with it. We don't want you.
    Who let you out of the RP section???

What about you actually levelled to 220, slapped some endgame gear on and did some pvp vs other endgame toons? Maybe you would know what we're talking about. In the midtime, you're free not to bump any thread related to the power gap fix and you can also stick that "We don't want you" in the darkest place of your anatomy

On topic : We aren't gonna let you forget us that fast Means, consider yourself warned!
    Awesome FWM again!
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Balancing Efforts

Some criticism (understatement) has been made concerning the "band-aid" style fixes to some professions. Keep in mind some of these changes ARE temporary while we work out the larger issues of retooling all specials and healing. A temporary fix means that the most affected professions can perform adequately while we make more significant changes without having to wait until we are done to be effective. Slapping an AS weapon on everyone is not the current team's idea of balance...big changes are necessary. We know and we are working on it.

the changes to pistol perks and the addition of the AS pistol are pretty drastic for a temporary change.

people will have things to say when these changes are applied. mostly the ones on the wrong end of the gun.

when the final changes are, people will have things to say then. be it because AS gets removed or others get stuff which means the status quo is returned.

making setup A a lot better than setup B just because setup B was a lot better than A is not balance, its just tipping the scales the other way.

i, and i think everyone should, just hope the bandaid doesn't rip off more skin than the hole it is trying to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubberyman View Post
    Who let you out of the RP section???

What about you actually levelled to 220, slapped some endgame gear on and did some pvp vs other endgame toons? Maybe you would know what we're talking about. In the midtime, you're free not to bump any thread related to the power gap fix and you can also stick that "We don't want you" in the darkest place of your anatomy

On topic : We aren't gonna let you forget us that fast Means, consider yourself warned!
    Awesome FWM again!
    Heheh <3

I am fully intending to do what you suggest...the levelling(finally) to 220 and pvping other end game toons. My main got paused/retired cos I wouldn't switch to melee. A similar state of mind to not wanting to pick a side to be 'uber'.

My point is that I am sick of neuts stating we are nerfed, that we cannot compete...because we don't have exactly the same stuff as the sided folk. Just like the people who always said of ranged advys-duh...go melee. I made a choice. So did you. Now you want to keep your choice but somehow have the same stuff you disallowed yourself by making that choice. Its no wonder we are looked down on by the sided folk with that attitude.

Neutral forever(and I look forward to thrashing sided folk at tl7) Already can at tl5 and tl2. The number of times I have wtfpwned 'super equipped' sided toons...stuff don't make you good.

To my mind being neutral means something. That would be ruined if we all had the same ****.
    Last edited by Rustinel; May 30th, 2009 at 21:18:42.
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Keep in mind some of these changes ARE temporary while we work out the larger issues of retooling all specials and healing.
    This sounds very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustinel
    This is not the place to discuss it, but asking for the power gap to be fixed back to what it was before LoX is not quite the same thing as asking for "the same stuff".
    And that's just what Means promised he would look into. He did not promise us anything else. He said he would look into that power gap and that it wouldn't go under the rug. I feel it's hardly "whining" just to ask more infos on what he has in mind. Which hopefully won't be a mere copy-paste-nerf version of what sideds have.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubberyman View Post
    This is not the place to discuss it, but asking for the power gap to be fixed back to what it was before LoX is not quite the same thing as asking for "the same stuff".
    And that's just what Means promised he would look into. He did not promise us anything else. He said he would look into that power gap and that it wouldn't go under the rug. I feel it's hardly "whining" just to ask more infos on what he has in mind. Which hopefully won't be a mere copy-paste-nerf version of what sideds have.
    But you are living in an imaginary world where you don't realize how much smaller that gap has become than before. You are whining to have the gap closed even smaller in reality asking for there to be no gap with a process of little steps. You and others have admitted it. Do not back pedal now friend. It simply discredits your entire argument completely, which you have done numerous times.

In reality by asking for the gap to be returned to what it was is the same thing as asking for neutrals to be nerfed by a giant bat considering Ofab > Tier 3 and you couldn't even go above T2. AI armor and other upgrades have closed those gaps. Becareful what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilluck View Post
    Psst, Means...

The Funcom tribute bookcase is a bit screwed up :>

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/15/scrn0150.jpg
    To quote the 'Age of Colin' Hologame description:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Age of Colin' Hologame
    This is a special collector's edition of the popular hologame 'Age of Colin'. The game was originally launched in 29481 but didn't reach Rubi-Ka until mid 29482. It became an unprecedented success all over the galaxy and was the first game to include holographic environment effects detailed enough to fill an entire zigball arena.
    In the game, players are transported to a lush and barbaric fantasy world where the only law is to kill or get killed.
    Phuncom, the developer of the game is a branch company of Sol Banking Corporation and is behind other hologame successes such as 'Anarchy Connection', 'Dreamrise', and 'The Eternal Journey'.
    To recap: the canon names are:
    'Age of Colin', 'Anarchy Connection', 'Dreamrise', and 'The Eternal Journey'

It could be cool to have the textures changed to that
    It would take quite some time though

Kind Regards
    Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethyrguard View Post
    But you are living in an imaginary world where you don't realize how much smaller that gap has become than before. You are whining to have the gap closed even smaller in reality asking for there to be no gap with a process of little steps.
    No. You're flat out wrong here. We're not asking for a free boost to our stats. We're asking for a boost that we get to work for. Stop living on your imaginary world where you only see want want want and glaze over what we are almost all willing to give for it.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Yeah,by all means(pun intended)
    give neuts some shizz we can work on to make us more uber lol. We don't really need it but it will keep some of us quiet.

Won't stop me asking for shark morphs and other silly stuff though.

*bites folk*
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    DB-files have to eventualy be splitted, if they don't want to screw those users with older file-systems and 4GB file limitation. More complex, but something which have to be done eventualy...
    I wonder, if they are splitting the database into multiple parts (presumably two); does that mean all the various database dumpers, item assistants, clicksavers, etc. are going to "break" and not read correctly because they are designed to look for one specific database file?

/wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Rustinel View Post
    Won't stop me asking for shark morphs and other silly stuff though.
    Hostile rollerrat morph w/ mango aura!

Quote Originally Posted by MartekO View Post
    I wonder, if they are splitting the database into multiple parts (presumably two); does that mean all the various database dumpers, item assistants, clicksavers, etc. are going to "break" and not read correctly because they are designed to look for one specific database file?

/wondering
    wonder is not needed.

they do infact, not work with the new db.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast