Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 29th, 2009

The yalm boss, the yalm!
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegerseele View Post
    I actually hate the thought of visual belts, bracers, etc. on our characters who already mostly have mismatched armor sets. Especially if the visual textures of these items are going to look similar to their icons...most of them will look like crap with certain armor sets.

Quit trying to add fluff to the new engine and just get it done.
    It's what social armor is for I think? Anyways, I ALREADY hate the way the real armors mismatch, so social clothes is a really good way to mask it. As for visual bits that aren't armor, I don't think it's going to be the size of a wrestling championship belt. They aren't going to make those bits obtrusive. Relax.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    Small little thing, but what about display of neck items so you can show things like All-Match Augmented Bow Tie or Collar of Amplification?
    Neck items can be seen in AoC, so I guess it will be no biggie.

I actually hate the thought of visual belts, bracers, etc. on our characters who already mostly have mismatched armor sets. Especially if the visual textures of these items are going to look similar to their icons...most of them will look like crap with certain armor sets.
    Introduction of armor paint would be nice, to partially deal with that issue.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    It's what social armor is for I think? Anyways, I ALREADY hate the way the real armors mismatch, so social clothes is a really good way to mask it. As for visual bits that aren't armor, I don't think it's going to be the size of a wrestling championship belt. They aren't going to make those bits obtrusive. Relax.
    We shouldn't HAVE to use the social tab in order to match.

And yes, like Klod said, I think it's time for dyeable armors.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Nope...

Make using the nutrition bar on the door spawn a boosted Ian Warr (bouncer for apartment complex ofc) and wtfpwn whoever tries to access it illegitimately :O
    An apartment boss you say?....

Yes to dye able armor. Just something to keep in mind when you are so heartily thrashing FC for icons.. They are currently reworking the database. That has been a largely limiting factor in how/what can be done. Reusing resources is the best way to keep the DB size down. When there are less of those issues there will not need to be quite as many reused icons. Furthermore, AoC doesn't use "drawn icons" they are actual 3D objects in an icon slot. Meaning, as they update the actual item the icons should change to be representative of the what the actual mesh item looks like. Have faith, Means is on the right track and the first game director to really give me faith in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethyrguard View Post
    Just something to keep in mind when you are so heartily thrashing FC for icons..
    You might want to go back and read what I wrote again. I in no way "thrashed FC for icons." I just said if they make the visual representations of those items look like their icons, they won't match most armor sets in game...that's what I said would look like crap...more mismatched items visible on our characters.

This ends today's reading comprehension lesson.
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Can I have a limo driver for my new Charon? If I'm going to live like the filthy rich...why should I be the one driving?

/filter clear
    /filter add mochies
    /filter enable

"Look at all of my worshipers standing around admiring my shiny new armors."
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

You might want to go back and read what I wrote again. I in no way "thrashed FC for icons." I just said if they make the visual representations of those items look like their icons, they won't match most armor sets in game...that's what I said would look like crap...more mismatched items visible on our characters.

This ends today's reading comprehension lesson.
    Perhaps you should reread your own post then mine. You ARE in fact thrashing FC for the appearance of the icons and assuming that they are going to waste time making 3D Models to look identical to a handful of repeatedly reused icons that fill the database.

Don't try to hand out lessons when you obviously haven't learned them yourself.

Just something to keep in mind when you are so heartily thrashing FC for icons.. They are currently reworking the database. That has been a largely limiting factor in how/what can be done. Reusing resources is the best way to keep the DB size down.

Out of context quotes are just that out of context.

Thus ending today's lesson in logic.
    Last edited by Aethyrguard; May 29th, 2009 at 20:24:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I don't think it's going to be the size of a wrestling championship belt. Relax.
    OMGZ, i wants that for my atrox.

then dont mismatch your armor, FC can't offer your favorite armor in your favorite look, use the social tab it's you friend not your enemy.
    Nanomage Meta-Physicist : Squad Commander [Famous Last Words] [RK2]
    Interested in applying? [Click Here]

As for the spammes disappearing, I wonder how much of that is the result of banned accounts versus having their exploited easy credits vanishing thus leaving them with no counterfeit credits to sell?
    I am Dagget

Perhaps you should reread your own post then mine. You ARE in fact thrashing FC for the appearance of the icons and assuming that they are going to waste time making 3D Models to look identical to a handful of repeatedly reused icons that fill the database.
    And you are assuming they won't. Last time I checked you are not a dev and are not working on the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by windcaster View Post
    then dont mismatch your armor, FC can't offer your favorite armor in your favorite look, use the social tab it's you friend not your enemy.
    I do use it, I said we shouldn't HAVE to.

And you are assuming they won't. Last time I checked you are not a dev and are not working on the engine.
    you fail at logic When making a texture with heavy stipulations on size and detail you cut corners. When database size is an issue you reuse resources. When a currently employed artist is handed a chunk of the database to convert from an ancient texture to a 3D mesh you can rest assured that things will change. It would be both a waste of time and resources to recreate everything identically to their antiquated icon even if a large majority of the unique icons are used as a base template for their new counterparts. Additionally, you can extrapolate that current artists vision will be applied to these old items that do not have a unique icon.

Artist given chunk A: Hey, Means got a moment?
    Means: Sure, what's up?
    Artist given chunk A: well I got to item X1923 and am about to start modeling it but it shares the same icon as A3412-Y34934. I had this idea for it..
    Means: Oh? What do you have?
    Artist given chunk A: /shows sketch
    Means: Yeah that looks much better.. go ahead and model that instead.. big improvement.
    Artist given chunk A: woot!

vs

Artist given chunk A: Hey, Means got a moment?
    Means: Sure, what's up?
    Artist given chunk A: well I got to item X1923 and am about to start modeling it but it shares the same icon as A3412-Y34934. I had this idea for it..
    Means: No! We must make all these new models look like the ancient low quality textured icons that have been there since launch. I don't care if there are 100 items that are sharing that icon!
    Artist given chunk A: /cries and goes back to cubicle to stab themself in the eye while working on things they dislike.
    Means: /pats self on back for making baby kittens cry.
    Last edited by Aethyrguard; May 29th, 2009 at 20:48:53.

you fail at logic
    My logic is undeniable, both of our arguments are based on ASSumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    NOTE
    Planning began for implementation of the engine. Enno took a few days off to make us some new features between last week and now, including:
    - Specular and reflective textures for character models.
    - Addition and code support of new attractors for character models. (For boots, belts, thighs, calves (calfs?) upper arms and lower arms that will have additional real mesh items to display...ie: A belt component platform you can SEE on your character.)

This was where I was truly sad to recognise the loss of time on the previous engine. What could have been done in terms of great new features in the same amount of time would have been great to have. Knowing it is the right decision doesn't make this loss any less painfull...but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.
    Again, I'm not knowledgeable about coding/game design, but just from reading what Means has said the last two FWM about the time/resources that were spent, and will be spent over the next few months, to get the new engine up and running, I'm a little saddened, myself.

This makes it seem like Enno was basically able to do with the Dreamworld Engine, in a long weekend, what would have taken MONTHS (Years?) to do with the Ogre Engine. So, the Devs basically wasted the last 2-3 YEARS trying to prep AO and Ogre to work well together when all they had to do was give the Dreamworld engine to Enno and a couple of other guys, say "Good Luck. We'll call you in SIX months to see how you're doing!", and then wait for them to come back after THREE months and say "We're done!"

Why did we have to wait this long for the new engine, again?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Other Work:

This week was also consumed with finishing up some of the goodies for this years birthday. Thanks to the player who suggested that "Serenity Island" wouldn't be complete without some kind of "Montelban" style suit. (see the attatched image!)
    Very cool on the suits. I hope those two characters are going to be permanent additions to RK, as well. I think the little Atrox should say, "Look Boss! The Yalm! The Yalm!"
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

just wanna say, new appartment looks SUPER sexy.

Anyone visiting test can come get an extruder bar from my trader on ICC platform, untill i fall asleep or get bored of baking them.

A few things that should be made clear though..

1.) Enter sunrise station (the door can be found inside ICC) and then use the extruder bar on the appartment door of your choice, NOT the main entrance door.(fyi all appartments seem to be identical so it doesnt matter what door you pick)

2.) make sure to have atleast 3 empty inventory slots open, for some reason the charon and appartment key are NOT forcing open overflow windows so if you dont have the space, you wont get your key.

3.) Please DONT park your spanky new gangsta-pimpmobile on the platform, its gets in the way of the CoT trying to buff people.

4.) you MUST NOT be teamed when trying to enter your appartment for the first time, If you are, you will recieve your charon but NOT your appartment key.

and also...

[Social] Macrosun: ALL HAIL UAINT.
    [Social] Macrosun: THAT IS ALL.

no, dont hail me, name something after me damn it! then i can quit AO!
    Last edited by Uaintseenme; May 29th, 2009 at 21:28:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by uaintseenme View Post
    just wanna say, new appartment looks super sexy.

Anyone visiting test can come get an extruder bar from my trader on icc platform, untill i fall asleep or get bored of baking them.
    brt!

Some great updates there

The new bells and whistles from using the Dreamworld engine will be fun.

A word to the whining Neutrals...Quit it! I rolled neut 5 years ago cos I didn't want the same char as everyone else. I wanted more of a challenge, to be less 'cookie cutter'. So stop trying to make us the same as the sided mkay?

Neuts are fine as they are. I cherish our difference and independance. It pains me to say it but really, those who are whining should really go pick a side and be done with it. We don't want you.
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    The instance is intended to be a good place to gain some levels between 150 and 200, not just at level 150.
    Ah, perfect! Exactly what we needed and people have been asking for. Good stuff. Please tell me there's no hecks in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Regidoc View Post
    The yalm boss, the yalm!
    Nuts, I wanted to say that.

They could always add more yes/no display options like we have for shoulders and helmets now. Could use one for back slot while we're at it too as many have said.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast