Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's with these freaking DoTs!?

Angry What's with these freaking DoTs!?

DoT (Damage over Time) programs are driving me crazy!! Now that I've reached 33 I've noticed a big increase in the number of casting bad guys. Why is it that just as the mob is about to die, he/she/it nails me with a DoT!?!? I've finished a pretty easy fight, now I gotta sit down for 2 minutes because I have 2 DoTs on me! Total waste of time. Am I just missing something? Is there a Nano program that I don't know about that can eliminate these programs and save me from this boredom? ><

Totally off subject: Why do people gank names from Final Fantasy/DBZ/Lord of the Rings/other scifi-fantasy source and use them in game?

It's not cool. Show some imagination!
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

If I was a Mob

Look at it from the mob's point of view. If someone broke into your home or place of work and started wailing on you for no reason at all, wouldn't you hit 'em with a DoT? Just in the vain hope you could kill them after you died? I know I would.
    "You know how these so-called 'Environmentalists' are all vegetarian? Well, there would be a lot more of the Environment if they stopped eating all the plants..."

Harry Hill

He got a point... From a gaming point of view, downtime sucks(tm) (be it from dots, plunders or roots).

Doesnt *Kenlon* sound a bit star warish?

Originally posted by Snublefot
    He got a point... From a gaming point of view, downtime sucks(tm) (be it from dots, plunders or roots).

Doesnt *Kenlon* sound a bit star warish?
    Star Warsish != straight-out stolen.

Naming yourself in accordance with the general feel of something is fine... straight up stealing a name is kinda lame.

As to the DoTs... heh, better that than getting hit with a couple plunders right as the mob goes down.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Heh, this name is my old BBS handle.

Went to go play a Door game (anyone remember those?) and it wanted a 6 letter name. So I smacked some letters mostly at random and got this.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

What about guild names.. or Clan family names Like Hida, Akodo, etc. are those ok..(L5R roleplaying game Family names, Kinda like you're real life last name only its at the begining of it instead).

Or is that a total rip off to.. ? just wanna know if im a gimp
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Heh, I suppose naming is in the eye of the beholder...

I've always admired "themed" names (aka Gunandahalf, Goodz) more than "random" names (Oiya, Airaiku, Rogoff) .

As far as "stolen" names, I applaud the first Vegeta on a server. Goku23 could have used a bit more creativity =).
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

only prob is that there are Name farmers in the game. Look for Reign level one since game started... hmmmm.... Ebay bait BLEH.
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Heh, my names aren't random, even if they look that way to other people.

Give you a hint; the original full name for Kiryat was Kiryat Malachi. It ain't English, it ain't French, it ain't Norwegian, what could it be?

Themed names are cool too. I just dislike people with no imagination whatsoever.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

I think some people could use a little more imagination, like how many engy/crat bots have you seen named C3-PO? C'mon is that the best you can do?

Sounds Indian.

I created my name based on my love for finalfantasy and egyptology.. and that i am a techie!

so i got kupotek pronounced in a egyptian slant.

"Totally off subject: Why do people gank names from Final Fantasy/DBZ/Lord of the Rings/other scifi-fantasy source and use them in game?

It's not cool. Show some imagination!"

If you think that the only Yuna in existence is from Final Fantasy, then you're wrong. I have a friend named Yuna and I just happen to like the name. The fact that you're getting upset about it is pretty lame. I know we all have some nerdish tendancies since we DO play this game... but you're taking it to the extreme. When was the last time you kissed a girl who wasn't your mom? ><

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin
    Heh, my names aren't random, even if they look that way to other people.

Give you a hint; the original full name for Kiryat was Kiryat Malachi. It ain't English, it ain't French, it ain't Norwegian, what could it be?

Themed names are cool too. I just dislike people with no imagination whatsoever.
    Well Google says http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

What better way to feel like a wizard than to call yourself Gandalf?

Its all about roleplay. Its easier to roleplay and easier for other people to understand where you are coming from when you are playing a well-defined role with some background history. Now you could make up your own role, but then no one else would know your background history and you certainly aren't going to have time to explain it to every person you meet. Naming yourself after things people already associate in a certain way allows you to be associated in the same way (at least till they figure out your are a jerk and a loot whore not a wise and benevolent wizard).

When someone calls himself Winnie the Pooh you automatically have a different expectation than if he calls himself King Arthur if you have any knowledge of popular media. However, you have no preconception of what someone named Telzibidri is supposed to represent so a person who names himself a "creative" name like that has wasted an opportunity to give you information with his name.

What better way to feel like a wizard than to call yourself Gandalf?
    Oh god, reminds me of UO where 25% of ALL mages are called gandalf.
    If you can't beat them, Hit them in the face with a wrench

Rubirango

back to the subject of this post....

i like that mobs cast DoT's and heal them selves and all that.... FC should of took the next step with profession mods... like i think if you bust in to a room with a crat or engineer mod it should summon its guard droid to aid it in battle... and if enforcer mobs mongo'd hehee watch out ... NT mods should area nuke... Adv mobs should be able to turning themselves in to kitties...i like that trader mods do deprive and i have noticed doctor mobs healing others around them.... to me it all make the game more interesting even if it is a pain waiting out them nasty deprives...
    JapellaZ
    Bureaucrat

'If you think you finally found the perfect light... i hope it's true' -Belly

Re: back to the subject of this post....

Originally posted by Japella
    i like that mobs cast DoT's and heal them selves and all that.... FC should of took the next step with profession mods... like i think if you bust in to a room with a crat or engineer mod it should summon its guard droid to aid it in battle... and if enforcer mobs mongo'd hehee watch out ... NT mods should area nuke... Adv mobs should be able to turning themselves in to kitties...i like that trader mods do deprive and i have noticed doctor mobs healing others around them.... to me it all make the game more interesting even if it is a pain waiting out them nasty deprives...
    I like the mobs as they are thanks. Imagine if we took your idea one step further and had really intelligent mobs

e.g. You do a level 130 mission to find that the MP mobs have all done mochies on themselves and are now running around with Demons

Or, imagine if Crat mobs could charm your team members...

woohoo sounds like fun to me all mob's should be able to cast all nano's and make pets. would make things more fun in mission. =) and harder to.
    Proud member of TAG
    Zedtheknife - Keeper Equip
    Weapons I use on Zedtheknife
    Gelids
    Copy of the Excaliber
    Frost-bound Reaper
    Zed "Doczed" Dabucho Equip
    Zedthepimp MA
    Zedddd (120) Trader
    Zedthekiller (115) MP
    Zedtheone (105) Enf

On The Name Thing...

There are some things that get played out, this I can understand, I like having a handle some will recognize while others won't....i.e. I never have a problem implimenting "Falcour" into a game. He happens to be my all time favorite character. Otherwise it would be Atreau or Artex.....anyone with me yet??

P.S. I HATE when a boss mob drops a DoT on me, kill it and die of after shock 'cause the damn server thinks I'm "Target cannot be in a fight" Grrrrrrrrrr............
    Ismael "Dfalcour" Depaolo
    Omni-Tek Blackwolf Operations
    President

Federico "Falcour" Peasly
    Applicant (Wolf Pack Support Team)

Mel "GremlinFeet" Drapkin
    Unit Member (Independant Contractee)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast