Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 8th, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This was an "interesting" week. "Interesting" is going to have to be the word of choice as anything else would possibly being sensored by my own moderators.
    Doesn't sound like he's questioning his own moderators, more commenting that he would be moderated.

P.S. Spelling Nazi time, but only because it seems to be pick on Means week, it's spelt 'Censored'
    P.P.S. Unless you're talking about the film Sensored
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

That and i think the board of directors would have words with means.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Just because a few people around the forums accuse me of being an overly enthusiastic forums nazi doesn't mean I have a death wish, you know.....
    i use to be in that club!

first few years of me being a chan op in the AO irc channel, people thought i was a tad bit strict and i got the same sentiment from the menions i reigned over.

they eventually learn, the only option is to love you. anything else would be suicide.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Guilds.. /facepalm, is herbalism coming in game any soon ? I'd love to spend my spare time gathering flowers around borealis when there is nothing else to do.
    Seyoura ~ Jijie ~ Delcatty ~ Shaymin

pls join paradise tx

Quote Originally Posted by jijie2 View Post
    Guilds.. /facepalm, is herbalism coming in game any soon ? I'd love to spend my spare time gathering flowers around borealis when there is nothing else to do.
    Go do this quest then
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

A facepalm emote Finally I can express my feelings properly! wtb this as quickly as possible!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Silent "Melphina" Lullaby - 220/30/70 Omni Trader RK-1

Riders Of The Lost Org's First 220/30/70 Trader

Sixth Trader on RK-1 to hit 220/30

still, it's better than 'I got a fetish for a chick from a deep freezer' outlaw star character

yes wtb a new emote package and dancing too(moonwalker trox ftw)
    Originally Posted by Technogen:
    Shen Stick + Dshark + Remod = Quantum Nutcracker (No Prof Lock)

Priceless

don't forget the /emo 1 through 3 emotes, k...life is empty without the ability to express ourselves correctly in game.

(emo 1 should be an emote where you cross your arms, turn around, and fall to a sitting position on the ground, pouting.)

also...lol, gj handling imoon ..BURN! <3
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Thanks means for listening to my angry flames

I appreciate that you are zipping quick with instanced pande.
    Silentsnipr3 220/27/69 Martial Artist Equip
    Behehe 220/30/69 Enforcer Equip
    Barbqq 170/11 NT
    Flurryofcutz 166/17 Advy

Proud General of Shadowmercs

Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    "all hell breaks loose and leets starts raining from the sky" mark.
    I have a screen shot of that happening in ICC somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Would SQL not be more suitable and scalable going forwards?
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

SQL is just a language for querying/managing relational databases, c-tree appears to be very fast one (suitable for games).
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    SQL is just a language for querying/managing relational databases, c-tree appears to be very fast one (suitable for games).
    I know what SQL is, obviously I was referring to one of the multiple database engines that makes use of it, Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, etc.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Internetz say that C-tree is just another RDBMS, just not as widely knows as ones you mentioned.. They have obviously considered them and found this one as the best solution (postgre cannot be embedded, mysql costs like 500$ for each embedded software piece copy, etc).
    Besides, switching to completely other format would be a 2gb patch
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    Internetz say that C-tree is just another RDBMS, just not as widely knows as ones you mentioned.. They have obviously considered them and found this one as the best solution (postgre cannot be embedded, mysql costs like 500$ for each embedded software piece copy, etc).
    Besides, switching to completely other format would be a 2gb patch
    Fair enough

Was just curious.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    When I recovered enough to stand I was happy to find that the C-Tree european manager was more than willing to be flexible with pricing to allow us to continue to use their excellent product. I do owe him a T-Shirt and a tour of the FC Oslo offices when he is in town....thank you Franco.
    And it would be hard for them to get better advertising..
    You know the Gaute story about MIT having network problems, because so many of the students played Anarchy Online, that they had to limit the access.

I had not heard about C-Tree or FairCom before, it might just be that they have gotten another future costumer from this posting..

It seems like a good system.
    Knowledge is free, but helping it flow might create a better tomorrow.
    Keep up with the technical updates, they might help improving the fluid exchange coolant systems for satellites, the arm on the future space shuttle, or containment structures for nuclear power plants.
    Knowledge flowing from one branch of science to another is important.

Kind Regards
    Ariensky

PS. I went on a ramble, but cross-department research indeed is important, instead of each branch developing it's own tools.
    Thank you for the link to a fast processing database without a size limit.
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by jijie2 View Post
    Does this mean we'll be getting the "bluff" and "forage" actions back?

I vaguely remember noticing them in my action window right after SL launch, and a year or two later they were gone.

Nice Start

Thanks Means

It reminds me of back in the day when Zip drives w/100 Meg were the standard backup Medium.
    Legacy Coding has got to be the Devil, Ouch

I will see if i can Possibly, Dig up some Hellions (HH'ers) maybe to do a Toon Transfer to Test, for Instanced Pandie Fun.

Best Wishes
    The One "Necurat"
    One of the 1st Atrox Shades in AO.

And a Army of alts, In AO Since 2001 Including
    Retired>Commissarr 220/le70
    Bureaucrat ,Super Stacker of 255/Tunin.
    Master of Ergo. General of Hells Heroes
    "These aren't the Droids your looking for!"

I want a /barrelroll emote to use when yalmed.
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.
    What annoys you most at work?

C-Tree is a very fast RDB for use in custom applications. Further it is developed to use in C/C++ coding products. Accessing data stored it is very straight forward in C/C++ programming. Did I mention it was fast? It is really fast.

C-Tree is developed and sold as toolset to be used in custom applications and embedded in software. The other listed DataBase products all started life as a stand alone product that later had external libraries for software developers to access.

I have some C-Tree experience as well as Sybase and Orcale and given the choice for a game client I would choose C-Tree. Also there is the cost per user question for the others. In cost and speed alone C-Tree is pretty much the best choice. Given it was developed for this type of embedding and well it is just that much easier of a choice for them.

Also the amount of time it would take to convert the client over to a new db format and changing all the points of database access would be quite large. As Means indicated Macrosun has to reverse engineer some build code to make this happen. I can only imagine what they would have to do to over come a complete db system replacement vice upgrade.

But as someone pointed out there is alot of junk in the database that could be removed from game and no one would care at all. A good of armor and weapns and general junk loot that I am sure would free up some serious space. Like really the nano Give Energy 10 nano points. Prehaps since the db has become an issue they could at least take the time to scroll through it and say hey that should go on some items.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast