Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - May 8th, 2009

Funcom employee Friday with Means - May 8th, 2009

This was an "interesting" week. "Interesting" is going to have to be the word of choice as anything else would possibly being sensored by my own moderators.

The issue:

When AO was in development way back in 1998 (date and license number determined by a small piece of paper found at a previous employee's home office.)...the decision was made to go with C-Tree to store our in game resources...that Database you all happily rip every time we release an update to see the new candy. Metaing was kind enough to point out at the end of last week that this version of C-Tree had a size limit of 2 Gigs. Size limit really meaning "put more in it and it will do very, very bad things." Our current resource database is currenly hovering at about 1.9 Gigs.

My options were to never add new graphical resources to AO...or Panic. I chose to Panic.

In 1998 2 Gigs was "Forever!" amounts of space...today this is obviously no longer the case. C-Tree has performed well for us over the last 9 years or so...so we have never had any reason to contact them about anything. I was pleased to find out that the company still existed (a good start!) and that they had more recent versions of the format that supported a larger capacity (large files...they tell me.) and better yet that the conversion process was straight-forward and reasonably painless. The fact that new pricing of C-tree now indicated that the new cost would be $5 per player was surprising.

When I recovered enough to stand I was happy to find that the C-Tree european manager was more than willing to be flexible with pricing to allow us to continue to use their excellent product. I do owe him a T-Shirt and a tour of the FC Oslo offices when he is in town....thank you Franco.

Thank-you Macrosun for working to reverse engineer the "lost" client build code to accomodate this update to the client RDB. Not fun..we know..and we all appreciate it. A /facepalm emote inspired by this event will be coming to the AO client in the near future.

This has resulted in *gasp* delays this week. We had been hoping to have the first views of instanced Pande, balancing, a new apartment and other 18.1 updates on TestLive this week but unfortunately this will now be coming next week instead.

The good news is that it seems to be all in viable shape and I am looking forward to seeing it on Test next week. It is likely I will need to "borrow" some guilds from the live dimensions to test it fully...any volunteer guilds would be appreciated. *hint hint*

Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Means; May 8th, 2009 at 15:31:24.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

"2 gigabytes should be more than everyone should ever need"
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

3rd!

Would the new C-tree apply to the old engine, the new one, or both? If it can be applied before the engine update, then I'd love to see modifiable ranges for various items (weapons, especially, whose creation and modification could reflect some combination of the maker's skill, components, and plain luck in terms of results... though this could apply to armors and even tools as well).
    Last edited by Gastastic; May 8th, 2009 at 15:06:41.

Means :P Clarify that the C-tree is from 1988 not AO.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Hmm, at least you found out before the "all hell breaks loose and leets starts raining from the sky" mark.
    - Xcellers
    Alexander "Xcellers" Voss
    Info Loadout Inner Circle
    Exiled Member of Inner Circle

Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.
    OTAF Battle Manual

This is what I like with FWM, information on what is going on and historical anecdotes, along with letting us know the apartments soon are up for trial

I will transfer another bil to Test Live, hoping that is enough for the apartment?

Kind Regards
    Ariensky
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    It is likely I will need to "borrow" some guilds from the live dimensions to test it fully...any volunteer guilds would be appreciated. *hint hint*

Spartans signs up to test
    Last edited by Alternity; May 8th, 2009 at 15:11:54.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

It is likely I will need to "borrow" some guilds from the live dimensions to test it fully...any volunteer guilds would be appreciated. *hint hint*
    Sounds interesting. What kind of size should those orgs be?

facepalm emote inspired by this event will be coming to the AO client in the near future
    ROFL!!! w00t more emotes!!!

Nice a techno-geek FWM report.. me likey.. now (I know 3rd party software isn't a top topic of FC) do you know if the "process" of access the DB will remain the same? IE ripping it with enthusiasm the same way a new one comes out? (~cough~) back pack checkers and clicksaver? or will those have to be re-engineered?
    220 Doc ~ "Dr." Ittledoc As of 1 DEC 07 setup || 218 Trader ~ Ittletrad (TL7 gimpage on Trader profession) parked... TS monkey no reason to go any higher
    220 Enf ~ Ittlejohn (1HB FTW!!!) [E] || 146 Fix ~ Johnittle
    216 NT ~ Nanoblender || 11 Crat "WTB" Spellbot
    ~~~Pheonix Rising is Recruiting~~~
    YMMV; Guaranteed 5 min or 5 miles... whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by BIGMANFORCE View Post
    and i umm also think that we should have a special nano that u can only cast on froobs,that turns them into lil monkeys and forces their char to work the APF elavator!

In 1988 2 Gigs was "Forever!" amounts of space...today this is obviously no longer the case.
    More visionaries:

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” – Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
    Astarra "Esthaer" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Nanomage Engineer 220/30/70
    Maryam "Mirienne" Hakhamaneshi, Atlantean Clan Female Pistol Solitus Engineer 220/15/60
    Member of Infinity

Mavritanic:"start this topic is your selfowning"

This was an "interesting" week. "Interesting" is going to have to be the word of choice as anything else would possibly being sensored by my own moderators.

The issue:

When AO was in development way back in 1998 (date and license number determined by a small piece of paper found at a previous employee's home office.)...the decision was made to go with C-Tree to store our in game resources...that Database you all happily rip every time we release an update to see the new candy. Metaing was kind enough to point out at the end of last week that this version of C-Tree had a size limit of 2 Gigs. Size limit really meaning "put more in it and it will do very, very bad things." Our current resource database is currenly hovering at about 1.9 Gigs.

My options were to never add new graphical resources to AO...or Panic. I chose to Panic.

In 1988 2 Gigs was "Forever!" amounts of space...today this is obviously no longer the case. C-Tree has performed well for us over the last 9 years or so...so we have never had any reason to contact them about anything. I was pleased to find out that the company still existed (a good start!) and that they had more recent versions of the format that supported a larger capacity (large files...they tell me.) and better yet that the conversion process was straight-forward and reasonably painless. The fact that new pricing of C-tree now indicated that the new cost would be $5 per player was surprising.

When I recovered enough to stand I was happy to find that the C-Tree european manager was more than willing to be flexible withn pricing to allow us to continue to use their excellent product. I do owe him a T-Shirt and a tour of the FC Oslo offices when he is in town....thank you Franco.

Thank-you Macrosun for working to reverse engineer the "lost" client build code to accomodate this update to the client RDB. Not fun..we know..and we all appreciate it. A /facepalm emote inspired by this event will be coming to the AO client in the near future.

This has resulted in *gasp* delays this week. We had been hoping to have the first views of instanced Pande, balancing, a new apartment and other 18.1 updates on TestLive this week but unfortunately this will now be coming next week instead.

The good news is that it seems to be all in viable shape and I am looking forward to seeing it on Test next week. It is likely I will need to "borrow" some guilds from the live dimensions to test it fully...any volunteer guilds would be appreciated. *hint hint*

Have a great weekend!
    I dont know about the rest of the coven but i am never on test live. For this patch to see what could be coming to my enforcer and my potential second 220 (ranged adv) i will be down for this.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ittledoc View Post
    ROFL!!! w00t more emotes!!!

Nice a techno-geek FWM report.. me likey.. now (I know 3rd party software isn't a top topic of FC) do you know if the "process" of access the DB will remain the same? IE ripping it with enthusiasm the same way a new one comes out? (~cough~) back pack checkers and clicksaver? or will those have to be re-engineered?
    No idea...but we have no intention of making it difficult with encryption or any other nonsense.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

No idea...but we have no intention of making it difficult with encryption or any other nonsense.
    Make your own DB extracting tool and make it public
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Means - Would you mind clarifying if the fixes you propose for the professions? That is to say, are they going to be "as-complete-as-possible" balance fixes or just pvp or pvm fixes? Are these planned to be in the form of an item(s) or are you considering actual mechanics/perk changing?

I don't expect you to spill the beans on your changes here. I just would like to know the extent of which you plan to make changes.

If you've already answered this somewhere, then my mistake.

Thanks.

The union would like to sign up to help if you need us.
    Labret 220/24 Martial Artist General Of The Union

Funkervogt 220/24 Keeper Henchman of the Goddess Pyro

Rivethed 220/17 Adventurer

Irtrade 220/16 Tradeskill trader

Panzerag 220/26 DD Whore

Dukenukey 220/24

This is kinda funny tbh, because i remember laying in my bed last week, staring at the roof going "AO will need a new modern DB soon because the one we use is to limiting.. I better send a PM to means pointing out that it should be top priority, the current one must be like... 2001... afew years of production... like 10 years old... if not more.."

xD

Guess i was spot on then

Well means look at it this way, at least you have now done the top thing in my propriety list for "things that must happen to AO except for graphics engine" list xD

Am i correct to assume that this new version of c-tree will allow you to set up new rules for equipment, like instantly flagging all items of a specific type to do or not do something (then i have some GREAT ideas..) and also to add new rules and effects etc etc on items?
    Last edited by Rktim; May 8th, 2009 at 17:05:02.
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

$5 per player per...?

Was that a one-time fee, or license paid annually or something?
    I am Dagget

Still patiently awaiting for Means to provide some details on instanced cities

I would love to know what the size of the plots will be, if you still have to pay to purchase a lot, and if any other limitations beyond no player market will exist.

Also, this doesn't mean subscription prices will be adjusted will it?

Power Overwhelming would love to help you, just give us a shout
    Calida Solitus Pistol Adventurer - 220/30/70 RK2 - General & Recruitment Director of -= Power Overwhelming =-
    Means: The leets do my secret evil bidding. Sort of the Oompa-Loompas of Anarchy Online.
    Means: Oh come on...that felt "phoned in". Was that written by some guy in India you pay to troll for you?
    Means: The US office assures me that this person will be beaten soundly, denied rations, and not let of their cage for exercise period this week....and worst of all will be forced to continue working for us for the forseeable future.
    Venachar: Where's the 'Close Thread' button......Wait. There it is.
    Mostadio: Noobs should wander through a forest in the dark going "WTF dood I cannot see! amg I hear rollerrat runz!!"
    Kintaii: A pirate walks into a bar. There's a wheel attached to his crotch. yadda yadda arrr its drivin' me nuts yarr yarr

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast