Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Titles (exploit warning included)

- Command to view PvP status of a %t. Kills, deaths, etc. In fact it would be preferable not to have a command at all, have these items on the regular profile 'T' key just like level, org, map upgrades.

- Kills only register points for opposing side takedowns.

- Deaths should also be tracked, and they do not subtract from your kill total.

- Same side kill should deduct 1 kill point. Implement negative titles as Silke has mentioned. As much as we hate arena gankers, traitors, and the general scum of RK, there should be a niche for those who pursue the criminal life.

- Eliminate weighted point system. Many players will disagree with me, but hear me out on this. As someone said before, a kill is a kill; it doesn't matter if you shoot down a green or the Red Baron himself. To see the logic in this, you must separate two things: fact and lore. Fact: I have killed 1000 Omnis. Lore: I trashed Caol in 2H0 this weekend in the midst of 3 other Omnis. Fact should bring titles (I think in dogfighting that 5 combat kills is Ace status). Lore should be created by the community. Lore is the stuff of legend, and that can never be farmed.

- Title reset at 75. It's a whole new world at 75, and titles should be wiped. Possibly retain kill/death count for historical purposes, but the title's got to go. This will mean that no one can farm a title at level 1 and then keep it forever.

- Create a PvP title cap for under level 75. For example, no one under 75 can be higher than Novice or Apprentice.

- Long-term hopefuls: give us a history log to view who we killed, when we killed them. And when we died, and who killed us. This would also be awesome to mark on XP Pinkies. Then players could initiate bounties in return for XP Pinkies of enemies.

What would all of this accomplish?
    - Farming between any people above 75 would rack up huge amounts of deaths on their 'T' profile. And I don't believe anyone wants to be publicly marked as a farmer with a 'Kills: 0; Deaths: 500' on their resume.

- Farming between a sub-75 and an alt, would be capped at Apprentice or Novice and reset at 75+.

- People wouldn't fear losing their titles any longer. In fact, Neophytes can flex their muscles and begin kicking the dung out of people in mass quantity.

- Tracking death count will still make many players cautious because they don't want to ruin their Kill: Death ratio.

Re: Titles (exploit warning included)

Originally posted by Cz
    Ok guys. Time to clean up the title chaos, don't you think?

Monday I will ask that the PvP ranking pages get removed from the main site, and they will not return until the ranking system is at least a little better. The farming is simply making the list useless.

So, do people agree with this? Anybody greatly opposed to us removing the PvP ranking pages for now?

Also, I'd like your input on how the ranking system should work, and whether you'd like to see all rankings reset when we get a better system implemented. Share your thoughts, constructively.

I agree 100 % CZ..

Things to change in pvp:

1. No title points given or lost for same side kills.

2. Make team pvp possible.

3. Fix 2ho , the guards killed it .

Question:

Why are all the pvp zones slowly being removed from the game?

Question:

Why are all the pvp zones slowly being removed from the game?
    Because when the first Booster Pack comes out, you can make your own PvP zones.

You only get PvP credit if the person you attack attacks you back. Otherwise the fight is no challenge, hence no reward.
    Oh my! Someone has a good idea here. I guess the other option is to simply /terminate. But, however it works out, it's important to not reward somebody with ribbons and trophies for engaging in an activity that is absolutely no challenge to them.

See a thread elsewhere for some level 200 character who roots some lvl 80 guy in his plane and kills him. If anything, this should subtract from your fame rather than add to it.

Similarly, the attacked should serve to gain more than the attacker and the attacker should risk more than the attacked as far as fame is concerned. It's always more glorious to fend off your rapist and to successfully complete the assault.

Arenas should have absolutely no bearing on fame whatsoever unless properly sanctioned fighting can be implemented.
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Sep 30th, 2002 at 19:04:59.

Yes.. i know that

Originally posted by Bionitrous

Because when the first Booster Pack comes out, you can make your own PvP zones.
    Yes, but come on .. Lets not kill the game before the booster comes out . Plus i'm not sure the booster is going to help things as far as pvp. Why because to many title huggers will stand in 75% as always. Those that don't care bout titles or pvp will more than likely be in a mission .

Pvp was best in 2ho bout a year ago. That was before funcom put their fingers to work and destroyed it .

Now that the count down has been added REMOVE THE GUARDS.
    The entire change to 2h0 was because of grid camping.

How about canceling the option of losing pvp points if you die, and making it harder on getting new titles.
    this might make pvp better and more people will pvp cues they wont lose titles.
    and if a player wants to get his title lower or dlete the title do it like the ip reset.

Unhappy

i would love for once to TEAM pvp in 2ho ,cause everyone want to solo for pvp points

My Lame Reply

So, having PvP titles is supposed to be about skill. I've read peoples posts where they suggest giving bonuses for having a higher PvP title. Here is my suggestion: instead of bonuses for higher PvP titles, give handicaps for higher PvP titles. This would be like the handicaps that an experience golfer would give to a new golfer to help even the game out between them.

The handicap penalties would not apply to PvM but only PvP. No one would be scared to lose a title either, they'd want to lose the title. Someone getting past Freshment, Novice, or Rookie hopefully really would have the skills to back up their title, because they would have done it through the handicap.

Giving stat or skill bonuses for having PvP titles would be giving artificial skills to the owner, and create more people who would farm. Giving handicaps should force the owner to have real skill to make up for the lack. Anyway, thats my lame thought on the subject.

my little opinion:

-wipe titles

-no title from same side kills

-i like a point system..if u r apprentice and kill a freshman..u get less points....if you are non titled and kill a novice..u get a bit more points. fact is..a kill is a kill and something should show for it.

-change the lvl cap to 100 or even 125 instead of 75 (this should bring out more pvp in places like 2ho cuz basically..once u hit 75...it pointless to go to pvp zones for another 75 lvls almost.

as someone said..those of us who pvp quite often..will get our title back..or not if we suck (i suck but still like it).

-remove guards from 2ho or..give clan a place like 2ho with our own guards that omni can try to take over.

just my 2 cents.

Re: My Lame Reply

Originally posted by Minivasn
    So, having PvP titles is supposed to be about skill. I've read peoples posts where they suggest giving bonuses for having a higher PvP title. Here is my suggestion: instead of bonuses for higher PvP titles, give handicaps for higher PvP titles. This would be like the handicaps that an experience golfer would give to a new golfer to help even the game out between them.

The handicap penalties would not apply to PvM but only PvP. No one would be scared to lose a title either, they'd want to lose the title. Someone getting past Freshment, Novice, or Rookie hopefully really would have the skills to back up their title, because they would have done it through the handicap.

Giving stat or skill bonuses for having PvP titles would be giving artificial skills to the owner, and create more people who would farm. Giving handicaps should force the owner to have real skill to make up for the lack. Anyway, thats my lame thought on the subject.
    I don't know but this looks like a good way to end pvp.
    But an interesting thought to say the least.
    Part of me likes the idea, part of me wants to flame..
    / me passes out

he he... my thoughts are that giving bonuses for higher PvP titles means it takes less skill to keep it. That means that its harder to take you down, not because you are particularly good at pvp, but because the bonuses given to you simulate you actually having any skill. Giving handicaps means it takes more real skill to keep it. Handicaps means more work, which means more pride in actually achieving a new title. Of course if you didn't want the title and the new handicaps, you can always die to lose them.

I don't PvP at all right now, so this is about the only suggestion I'd make about the system. Bonuses to me just means handicaps in the wrong direction.

Should not be any bonus to a PvP title other than Pride, ever. For all the reasons Minivasn has stated. It creates 'reasons' for people to want these titles aside from the knowledge that you were successful in a number of military endeavours. Simply the fact that a character could get a bonus from having a PvP title will instantly guarantee that people will be trying to exploit to get that benefit.

The reason you PvP for the thrill of PvP'ing. If you are good at PvP'ing, then you should get a medal on your chest stating that you are good at it. There should be nothing more precious to a warrior than the admiration and respect won in battle.

If anything, again as stated above, there should be a handicap to the higher level titles. This ensures that the 'very best' are equal to each other and n00b vs. Grandmaster could perhaps (but not likely) have an unexpected outcome.

I really wouldn't push for the handicaps as I doubt people would understand why this is probably a good thing. But, it should be blatantly obvious why you never want to reward the very best with more and more tools to ensure their dominance. Simply makes for bad gameplay.

Things that could be provided for top PvP titles would be something like +Scale while outdoors (eg +2% per title level) and perhaps an item like the Merit board that you can click on to show offs your fancy war decorations.

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Things that could be provided for top PvP titles would be something like +Scale while outdoors (eg +2% per title level) and perhaps an item like the Merit board that you can click on to show offs your fancy war decorations.
    mmmmm +Scale. To make people happy you'd probably have to include a way to choose either +Scale or -Scale. I'd definately go for +Scale since being larger is harder to achieve over a long period of time, were -Scale over time is easier for some professions.

Re: Titles (exploit warning included)

Originally posted by Cz
    Ok guys. Time to clean up the title chaos, don't you think?

But, an exploit warning first:
    It has come to my attention that some people are using an exploit to gain a titles. Even though the title is little more than a status things right now (and hardly even that, since people farm it), using this is still exploiting, and you risk getting suspended or banned. I think it is a good suggestion to stop it, now.
    Cz can you tell me exactly how a title is an exploit? By definition an exploit helps you gain an unfair advantage over another player by unintended means. Now titles have NO advantage at all, hence are not really an exploit. Not to mention farming has been going on since day 1. (inconsistant suspend/ban policy is what makes customers unhappy)

Also I hope those suspended who did this will be coming back. They just wanted to show you, FC, how stupid the whole title system was, and how easy it was to get titles if your friends let you kill them.

Can you clear this up? It seems everytime I post on this someone deletes my thread. (so i aint mentioned names this time) However I will restate, keep banned friends, and whats left in the game?
    Old Isgrimnur Timer - Ranger
    Glen Sago Schmeisser - General
    Marky Kenidy Mark - Master Assassin Retired@200
    Bling Isgrimnurr Bling - Chairman and CEO

"Have you ever wondered, when you check loot and see NODROP, if it is not supposed to be dropped, how come the mob dropped it? And if the mob can drop it, why can't I?"

must be a lawyer.. its an unfair advantage because titles are something that is earned, hence you need to progress in the game in some manner in order to gain the next title plateau. they are exploiting a way around truly earning that title.

hope that helps.

btw, they didnt do this to "show funcom that it can be done" or whatever BS.. thats a total stupid conclusion.. they did it to get a higher level title so they can look cool. simple as that. Are you going to go rob a bank and think that it will be ok by simply telling the police "i just wanted to do it to show you it could be done!" ROFL, i think not.
    Last edited by Makyla; Oct 1st, 2002 at 00:12:13.

Originally posted by SuupaSayen
    IMO you should just scrap pvp titles, cant think of anything else to suggest but the titles are one of the main reasons why pvp is boring (everyone runs to save titles).

Secondly, I think that for pvp you shouldn't have to rez/reclaim body but you SHOULD have to go back to ent or tir or the main city if you die in pvp. I would definately pvp more if upon dying I just pop back to omni 1 with full hp/nano and all my buffs/inv still up.

ps, wewt first reply
    I agree.

Well, another less drastic option would be remove a res. period from PvP death. Still death and such, but at least will take less time to get ready.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

Also like this idea:

Maybe a duel command could be added. If duel is declared with someone then neither person gains or loses points.

Very nice way to practice skills or just fight for the sake of a single fight.

As for Titles:

Don't know but i liked the system which was in a BattleMail game .

You get points for killing and for loosing, they count separetly and you might be one of the Top killers but at the same time have a huge number of death points.
    It doesnt say much just lets people see your death/life ratio.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

Cz, i'd like to know why my second post was deleted from this thread. First time something like that has happened to me and I would appreciate a response.

Do the right thing here, prove your well earned reputation for ignoring players wrong, and let me know what aspect of my post was so offensive.
    Oh my god its like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain

Originally posted by Makyla
    must be a lawyer.. its an unfair advantage because titles are something that is earned, hence you need to progress in the game in some manner in order to gain the next title plateau. they are exploiting a way around truly earning that title.

hope that helps.

btw, they didnt do this to "show funcom that it can be done" or whatever BS.. thats a total stupid conclusion.. they did it to get a higher level title so they can look cool. simple as that. Are you going to go rob a bank and think that it will be ok by simply telling the police "i just wanted to do it to show you it could be done!" ROFL, i think not.
    The ones who I mentioned earlier (post got deleted) did it to show FC they are wrong. They were well know pvpers, and one of the people has his name on a few threads in this forum.

Um there is NO and i mean NO advantage to having a title. How did you earn it? The way pvp works is so messed up you could kill 50 people and still not advance to your next title. Didn't you EARN it? I mean just because I am fighting a lvl 200 non-titled doesn't mean I am not EARNING anything. The way the system worked, you had to kill someone with in a lvl range and title range. If they weren't within title range, you go NO points, hence all your hard work for nothing.

I still think this is NOT an exploit, and as such these people should not be suspended. They were a few amoung the hundreds of title campers ingame.
    Old Isgrimnur Timer - Ranger
    Glen Sago Schmeisser - General
    Marky Kenidy Mark - Master Assassin Retired@200
    Bling Isgrimnurr Bling - Chairman and CEO

"Have you ever wondered, when you check loot and see NODROP, if it is not supposed to be dropped, how come the mob dropped it? And if the mob can drop it, why can't I?"

Originally posted by Makyla
    btw, they didnt do this to "show funcom that it can be done" or whatever BS.. thats a total stupid conclusion.. they did it to get a higher level title so they can look cool. simple as that.
    Well, the difference between you and I is that I actually know several of these suspended people. And I actually know what they were doing there. No conclusions. No conspiracy theories. I don't sit in front of my computer making crap up off the top of my head. I'm 99% sure that Funcom could care less, but I will support these friends. I'm sure some saw an easy way to 'farm' titles. But as Isi pointed out, how is this a bannable offense? And the GMs were TOLD about it beforehand. And they said the problem was known, and nothing could be done about it. No warnings. No being told that it was an exploit. So all I want to know is how Funcom can justify suspending and threatening banning for these people. I want some consistency shown by Funcom in this stupid banning, or are we all suppose to play knowing some of us can be banned while others not?

Sounds to me like the same little jealous boy on his crusade against anyone with a higher title then his. Some people don't really care about them.

I'd like to know why some posts are being deleted as well. At least you use to leave the post with nothing but "edited by blahblah". Just outright deleting seems to be the coward's way out.
    Last edited by Zylina; Oct 1st, 2002 at 05:52:06.

Peisnioe, not only is it the cowards way out but it keeps FC from admiting that they did exactly what was intended.

By getting clearance beforehand, taking advantage of an obviously flawed system, and then FLAUNTING it to the uproar of a community that cant appreciate satire, Caol and Nothinman P-L-A-Y-E-D Funcom like a finely tuned violin.

I know all the people i've killed, I know all the people that run away, i know the people that talk smack then are afk when i ask if they can back it up, i know how big my peepee is, screw title's theyre pointless.
    Oh my god its like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast